Review w/ VIDEO: Using a Samsung Infuse Car Dock with my Galaxy 2 Epic Touch

Search This thread

slow27

Nov 2, 2008
just called my local store. they have 1 left but the guy i spoke to was telling me the car docks are 50% off which turns out to be 17.50 and the desktop dock is $40 with $10 off? o_O

im gonna go down there after work and have him ring up the car dock then desktop and see what happens.

so i went in and bought it for the deal price, something like $18.50~. the csr that rang me up kept asking for my phone number and kept assuming i was with at&t. then i asked him "why does it matter if i have an account with you?". he replied with no comment. he scanned both items. and kept looking at the screen for like 10 seconds then told me "its giving you some kind of weird bundle" as if he was trying to figure out a way to charge me full price for the desk dock.

GREAT DEAL. the only thing i hate is when i plug my phone in my car through AUX, whenever you make/receive a phone call, you can hear through your car speakers but the mic wont work unless you unplug the aux. which then puts the phone into speaker/speakerphone (cant hear anything). or when its in the car dock and you make/receive calls, it automatically puts it through the phone's speaker phone.

is there any work around to have all sound go through the aux output and still use the phone's mic at the same time?

Mikest1978

Oct 24, 2011
link to profile settings <-- Works great. Will enable/disable auto rotate if that is what you are looking for.

BTW, I set it so my phone also now auto connects to my Nissan's Built in Bluetooth Hands Free system. And as was pointed out, when using the dock, you do not have to unplug the AUX cable when a call comes in for them to hear you. :)

-
Sorry did a search and didn't come up with much. I've been looking for more documentation on Setting Profiles. I'm a relative android noob coming from webOS, know of any good resources? The setting profiles website leaves a lot to be desired in the how to section.

I'm trying to get it to kill the default vlingo voice command when docked in the car dock. Might there be an easier alternative?

Unknown Zone

Oct 16, 2007
South Texas
Tpu cases r easy to remove

I was thinking about that, but really when you remove the case and insert the phone in the dock the sides rub cause of the tight fit even with the back plate off and that is one more thing to worry about (scratches..etc) if you like to keep the phone in tip/top shape. I just did some dremeling on the sides so nothing rubs and removed the back plate now I can just take the phone out of the belt holster and slide it into the desk dock with ease without removing the phone case.

groovekids

Oct 29, 2011
Funny! I meant it is a hassle to always have to take off the case to put it into the dock...taking off the case itself is easy! Haha

monkeyracer

Aug 23, 2007
Lakehood
Went to my local AT&T store and asked if they have both docks for the infuse. The guy grabbed them, and I told him that my friend got a special bundle by having the guy scan the car dock first, then the home dock. The AT&T guy was cool and scanned it that way and told me the total. (Under $20 with tax) When he asked for my number, I told him it's not AT&T, so he said no problem. (Really only needed for warranty purposes, if you lose your receipt, don't expect to take advantage of the one year warranty.)
No hassle. The guy was more surprised that they were offering the bundle, so obviously there's no communication from corporate on it.

Bonus: when I got home, I opened the car dock and there was a free car charger sitting in the box. I have plenty of car chargers, but it was nice to get $95 worth of accessories for only $20. Now the problem is finding a flat spot on my dash that would be good to mount it to (not putting it on the windshield since it is so far away.)

Thanks to those that found and posted this deal. Now I gotta look into profiles and making the phone do what I want when it is docked (and different when I dock it at home at night.)

nobrakes

Oct 25, 2006
Removed the back of the dock by prying up through speaker vent (you will hear popping noise as one of the two pop-rivets releases), then leveraging the edge, working around toward the top with multiple narrow screwdrivers (kind-of like taking a bike tire off of the rim). Phone now fits flush with usb port (backing totally removed), so no pressure on port, though sides still make for a tight fit. May try to modify backing so I can reinsert at later point.
:)

Thanks I removed the backplate and my phone sits flush now. I got some matte black vinyl sticker cut out with similar dimensions as the backplate and put it on to go where the backplate was.

LuLuTheMonk

Jun 13, 2008
When I have my phone in the dock and driving, the voice activation keeps activating whenever the road noise reaches a thresh hold. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks.

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
When I have my phone in the dock and driving, the voice activation keeps activating whenever the road noise reaches a thresh hold. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks.

I have the same problem and have been unable to find the setting to disable this.

On a related note, for this reason and others I was wondering if there is a nice alternate app some people may recommend that would replace the default car dock?

Mikest1978

Oct 24, 2011
I downloaded Vlingo virtual assistant to replace the default car dock app. Its almost exactly the same as the one that comes with the phone but it also has a "safe reader" mode which reads your text messages and emails back to you, along with some other nice features.

On the down side I have to close the default car dock app everytime I plug it into the dock and open Vlingo Virtual Assistant. I'm still looking for a way to auto kill the default app.

I don't have enough post to add the link but if you search Vlingo Virtual assistant its free in the Market.

edit: Oh and the Vlingo virtual assistant allows you to disable wakening commands so road noise wont set it off

chazglenn3

May 18, 2010
Tacoma, WA, USA
Went by the AT&T store today and got the last car and desktop dock. The look on the CSR's face was classic after I explained to ring up the car dock first and he saw the price! I removed the backing plate and my phone fits the desktop dock perfectly! You guys are awesome!

Basboy

May 23, 2006
I managed to take advantage of the deal too. I got lucky and the desk dock I got from the ATT store is pyramid shaped and looks just like the one meant for the Epic 4G Touch so I don't have any problems with it being too tight fitting.

If you happen to live in the Los Angeles area, I went to the ATT store at Hastings Ranch in Pasadena.

Basboy

May 23, 2006
Mine is pyramid shaped also. You got the Epic to fit correctly without removing the backing plate? Damn...I didn't even try it first...duh!

Well it doesn't sit flat against the back with the backing plate on but I don't feel there is any undue stress on the USB port.

I just took out the backing plate and the phone is actually too wide to sit against the back without being at a tilt.

yourm0m1

Jul 21, 2010
thanks for the tip OP, picked a set up the other night!

does anyone know what the deal is when i put the phone into the desktop dock within a few seconds a message pops up on screen saying "network connection failed"??

hayaticik

Sep 11, 2007
wakening commands is under the motion settings of the voice talk. turn off the Double tap option. in the car, the phone gets moved by the road and triggers the voice talk. I turned off the double tap ad it never turns on randomly now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: nebrando

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to share my results of trying the Samsung Infuse Car Dock with my Galaxy 2 Epic Touch. It is an Epic success :eek:

Click for Video

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

I have included a video because there was a number of people that were concerned about the stability, holding power, and the ease of docking and undocking on a dock that was not designed for our phone. As you can see, the phone goes in and out of the dock with ease one handed. It also sits in the dock well tight enough to support the weight of the attached Mac Mini. The package includes the dock, it’s stand as well as an adhesive plate for mounting on the dash if desired. Although the dock does allow you to plug a power supply directly to the dock, the power supply is not included, which is pretty much the norm. The dock also has an audio output port, however when I tested this the audio is not rerouted to this port and comes from the speaker of the phone. The workaround for this is to plug the audio in to the headphone jack of the phone itself, which this dock does accommodate for. Last of all, as you can see from the pictures, the dock does have the proper cut outs for the speaker and camera on the back, so in theory you can always video your driving habits :)

Members on this Forum are reporting that they are picking up this dock from their Local AT&T stores for about $18. I purchased mine from Amazon HERE for over $30 and am very happy I did (though I wish I had found the $18 deal first).

Pros:
    Easy to use
    Does not require attaching power to the phone like a universal dock would
    Hold the phone very well with little vibration

Cons:
    Audio out from the dock does not seem to work with the Epic Touch --> UPDATE: As pointed out in the reply below, the audio out on the back of the dock works just fine if you adjust the settings.
    Heads up:

Just went to the AT&T store to pick up an Infuse car dock... rang up as $17.50. The sales guy tried to sell me the desktop dock as well. I asked how much it was, so he scanned it and it rang up for $0.01. There's a bundled discount when you buy both together. So I paid $17.51 total for the car dock and desktop dock.

thanks for the tip OP, car dock works great! Desktop dock is a little snug, but it fits.
    Thanks for the review and pics!

BTW, the current price at AT&T online is $17.99 +tax, free 2 day shipping.

Link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ails/?LOSGId=accessoryBucket&q_sku=sku5190308

The best price for the epic touch specific mount (from a reputable source) is still $39.99. Good amount of savings in this deal.
    Audio out works you have to go into dock settings from the main settings menu and check audio mode.

Wanted to add more pros;

Bluetooth routes to headset instead of speakers if a call comes in

Media volume stays at last set instead if lowering once plugged in

Screen stays on instead of timing out.
    Dock Fix-Popping off the back

Removed the back of the dock by prying up through speaker vent (you will hear popping noise as one of the two pop-rivets releases), then leveraging the edge, working around toward the top with multiple narrow screwdrivers (kind-of like taking a bike tire off of the rim). Phone now fits flush with usb port (backing totally removed), so no pressure on port, though sides still make for a tight fit. May try to modify backing so I can reinsert at later point.
    :)