Possible Good News Towards Bootloader Unlocking

Search This thread

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
Evening everyone. Just thought I would share an article I found over on Droid Life today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/07/moto-x-bootloader-unlock-qualcomm/

While there is no specific mention of the G3 (only G2), this is an intriguing bit of news. Dan Rosenberg has pulled some outlandishly amazing stuff in the past, so if he says this a vulnerability that affects all Snapdragon processors, I believe him. The S5 and M8 may have been patched already, but I have a feeling that if we keep our devices from updating, this could be something that works for us.

Food for thought, people.

bunchies

Dec 30, 2012
Land of Ooo
Evening everyone. Just thought I would share an article I found over on Droid Life today.

While there is no specific mention of the G3 (only G2), this is an intriguing bit of news. Dan Rosenberg has pulled some outlandishly amazing stuff in the past, so if he says this a vulnerability that affects all Snapdragon processors, I believe him. The S5 and M8 may have been patched already, but I have a feeling that if we keep our devices from updating, this could be something that works for us.

This won't work for us, Samsung and LG can't be unlocked through trustzone

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
Really? That's rather troublesome. What is the discrepancy with those two?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
Ah. That is certainly a shame. Well, here's to hoping that the other methods in the works come to fruition.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Eventually I plan on getting into the development side of things. But Security+ and CCNA certifications are my current focus.

bunchies

Dec 30, 2012
Land of Ooo
Ah. That is certainly a shame. Well, here's to hoping that the other methods in the works come to fruition.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Eventually I plan on getting into the development side of things. But Security+ and CCNA certifications are my current focus.

Yeah, I have experience in custom kernels and roms, also other minor projects unrelated to phones

It seems like almost everyday theres new information on the progress of the bootloaders for the g3 but not all of it seems to be pointed out on xda

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
If you want really good news, read the last few pages of the bootloader unlock thread for the AT&T G3. Should also work for Verizon.

manaox2

Oct 1, 2010
I don't think the official unlock will be done anytime soon. I just like that those guys are working hard at it and seem pretty confident that they will be able to get all variants unlocked with their method they are developing. It will be a while, but I'm thinking it's very possible still have it before the new year.

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
I believe the "official" unlock may happen in time. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if LG adopted the same practices as HTC in that regard. With that said, it's not something Verizon will ever allow on their devices. In the past, we may have gotten lucky. Now, we only have that option if Verizon and the manufacturers offer us a "Developer" or Google Experience edition. Personal advice would be to lock down your phone via Titanium Backup concerning OTAs, regardless of how enticing they may be, and wait for the Dev community to release their method.

Reactions: manaox2

faded03cobra

Mar 23, 2012
I believe the "official" unlock may happen in time. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if LG adopted the same practices as HTC in that regard. With that said, it's not something Verizon will ever allow on their devices. In the past, we may have gotten lucky. Now, we only have that option if Verizon and the manufacturers offer us a "Developer" or Google Experience edition. Personal advice would be to lock down your phone via Titanium Backup concerning OTAs, regardless of how enticing they may be, and wait for the Dev community to release their method.

Apparantly you didnt have a m8.

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
*shakes head* Did HTC actually release the S-Off method for Verizon devices? Thought it got unlocked by devs via firewater because when S-Off was first released by HTC for the M8 the Verizon version was not included.

tech_head

*shakes head* Did HTC actually release the S-Off method for Verizon devices? Thought it got unlocked by devs via firewater because when S-Off was first released by HTC for the M8 the Verizon version was not included.

Verizon was not included. You either must use the exploit of find someone with a USB S-Off service card.

Reactions: Tillmorn

Elite49

Jul 5, 2011
Verizon probably won't even let the official unlock work as it'll "mess up the network". Oh FFS.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Verizon just plain sucks as far as these things go...they lock everything down, then also they don't even want us having any Nexus devices. But it's OK you can pay around $650 with tax for a Dev S5 or something that you have to get from Samsung lol

Ridiculous

- Tapatalked from the G3

Reactions: bkrickles

Tillmorn

Mar 23, 2011
Columbia
Verizon just plain sucks as far as these things go...they lock everything down, then also they don't even want us having any Nexus devices. But it's OK you can pay around $650 with tax for a Dev S5 or something that you have to get from Samsung lol

Ridiculous

- Tapatalked from the G3

Agreed. If I was in a part of the country with better coverage from the other providers, I would have sold my unlimited line and jumped ship a long time ago. But alas, only AT&T has decent coverage outside of cities in SC besides Verizon, and their coverage drops significantly if you veer off an interstate onto a back highway surrounded by countryside around here. So Verizon it is.

ohlin5

Feb 24, 2012
Verizon Blows, USA
Agreed. If I was in a part of the country with better coverage from the other providers, I would have sold my unlimited line and jumped ship a long time ago. But alas, only AT&T has decent coverage outside of cities in SC besides Verizon, and their coverage drops significantly if you veer off an interstate onto a back highway surrounded by countryside around here. So Verizon it is.

Could not possibly agree any more...I wished VZW weren't so locked down on everything. I'm in the exact same situation here in NE. AT&T's the only one who's even close coverage-wise, and really they aren't. So yep, our choices out here include Verizon, Verizon, ooorrrrrr...Verizon! :silly:

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
Emailed LG about a bootloader unlock since there rumors floating. LG's response was that I'd have to get it from Big Red. Fat chance of that happening.

LG G3 flies faster than a G6
OG RAZR XT912 got 4.4 before S4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Verizon was not included. You either must use the exploit of find someone with a USB S-Off service card.

Ridiculous

- Tapatalked from the G3

Could not possibly agree any more...I wished VZW weren't so locked down on everything. I'm in the exact same situation here in NE. AT&T's the only one who's even close coverage-wise, and really they aren't. So yep, our choices out here include Verizon, Verizon, ooorrrrrr...Verizon! :silly: