[Q] Blank SD card

Search This thread

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm in big trouble. Yesterday I unplugged the headphone without stopping the music. it suddenly showed "Micro SD card unexpectedly removed". this happened one month ago and it was solved after few restarts, though I had to format the card then.

But not this time. I removed battery and restarted about 20 times, the only improvement is now it shows "Blank micro SD card" on notification and after touching the notification, it asks me to format. but it does not format after selecting it. I checked another card and it says same- Blank micro SD card. I checked my card in my pc with card reader and it was ok. I've tried formattind by PC and also SD Formatter software and I formatted the card in Huawei tablet but all show same- "Blank SD card". I even did factory reset, but no luck.

I've been fallen in a loop. first after powering on after removal of the battery, when I go to settings/storage then under 'SD card' total memory, available memory,mount SD card and erase all data are active. total and available memory both shows 'unavailable'. if I select mount SD card then I see 'preparing SD card' for a fraction of second in notification and then again it shows 'blank SD card'. now if I select 'erase all data' then a pop up shows 'erasing data' for 2 seconds and closes automatically. after that mount SD card and erase SD card both the options become deem(unselectable).

I've a feeling that the card slot is damaged. but that would be my worst nightmare. my phone is not covered by warranty as I bought it from abroad and there is no official service centre around. After searching many forums I found many people having this problem. some of their problems are solved after doing the measure I've taken but I guess I'm unlucky. Please help.

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
@no option of warranty coz now I'm in a different country and here's no htc sales point. I wish it were solved without the touch of local repairing shop.

@yes the card works well in other mobiles though they wants a format before using.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
@no option of warranty coz now I'm in a different country and here's no htc sales point. I wish it were solved without the touch of local repairing shop.

@yes the card works well in other mobiles though they wants a format before using.
Stupid question, but after you've formated the sd card in the other device, you're device still force recognise it? Same issue.?

Do you have sd card reader that will enable you to format the card from the PC?

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
Stupid question, but after you've formated the sd card in the other device, you're device still force recognise it? Same issue.?

Do you have sd card reader that will enable you to format the card from the PC?

don't bother,I've already done much more stupid things to get the problem solved.

when I format it in Huawei tablet and insert in DS then firstly it doesn't even show any notification as if I've not inserted any card. but after one or two restarts it again shows blank SD card.

and yes my laptop has a SD slot which I used to read my card with the help of an adapter. laptop can recognise it and format it but that doesn't solve the problem in DS.

palej

Mar 21, 2012
Kharkiv
You should connect your card to PC, using card reader and format card. It can be problem with partition layout, so, I suggest remove FAT32 partition from car, create it again and format using your PC tools. If you windows user, better if you format card from command line: windows button + R, type CMD, Enter. In opened window type:
Code:
format your_card_partition_letter: /fs:fat32
for example:
format E: /fs:fat32
it will format slow, but in he end you can see report and be sure that partition created well and without errors.

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
You should connect your card to PC, using card reader and format card. It can be problem with partition layout, so, I suggest remove FAT32 partition from car, create it again and format using your PC tools. If you windows user, better if you format card from command line: windows button + R, type CMD, Enter. In opened window type:
Code:
format your_card_partition_letter: /fs:fat32
for example:
format E: /fs:fat32
it will format slow, but in he end you can see report and be sure that partition created well and without errors.

brother I just did the format from command prompt but same problem...

xxmorph3u5xx

Jun 29, 2011
Bucuresti
Okay.. go into recovery and try to format sd card from there. Many users have had problems with pc formatted microsd's. If you're on 4ext recovery try a file system check from tools menu first..it might help.
PS: You can first try to mount the sd card from recovery while usb attached to pc. If windows sees it, it might be a rom or kernel issue.
Let me know how this turns up. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: S.Nahid

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
Okay.. go into recovery and try to format sd card from there. Many users have had problems with pc formatted microsd's. If you're on 4ext recovery try a file system check from tools menu first..it might help.
PS: You can first try to mount the sd card from recovery while usb attached to pc. If windows sees it, it might be a rom or kernel issue.

I'm an average user so please correct me if I'm wrong. I went to hboot menu (volume down + power). there are 5 options:
fastboot
recovery
factory reset
simlock
image crc

now if I select recovery as you suggested, then the phone stucks at black screen with the icon of a phone and red exclamation sign. the backlight stays on until I pull the battery. what do you think?

xxmorph3u5xx

Jun 29, 2011
Bucuresti
first: STOP PULLING THE BATTERY! you'll end up with a bricked phone: to force a reboot press vol up, vol dn, and power buttons all at the same time!
NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks.(read this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1268447)

okay now that this is solved.. So you did not give us full specs. It seems that you are not rooted or s-off. am i right?

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
first: STOP PULLING THE BATTERY! you'll end up with a bricked phone: to force a reboot press vol up, vol dn, and power buttons all at the same time!
NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks.(read this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1268447)

okay now that this is solved.. So you did not give us full specs. It seems that you are not rooted or s-off. am i right?

I read the post before. it's just that I got frustrated,so...but I'll never do it again.

and yes I'm not rooted and s-offer. sorry should have told you before.

xxmorph3u5xx

Jun 29, 2011
Bucuresti
then, what i just told you is useless unless you are willing to s-off and root. unfortunately i don't think that there is another way to determine if you're facing a hardware or software problem. IMHO it's software related as all those that mentioned this issue here on xda seem to be on stock rom..
there might be a way to check the card via adb but im not familiar with adb that much.. maybe someone else here might have a clue..

anyway, if you do decide to go for s-off'ing which i highly recommend you can find all you need in the general section (but be sure to check your hboot version and read twice before doing)

best of luck!

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
then, what i just told you is useless unless you are willing to s-off and root. unfortunately i don't think that there is another way to determine if you're facing a hardware or software problem. IMHO it's software related as all those that mentioned this issue here on xda seem to be on stock rom..
there might be a way to check the card via adb but im not familiar with adb that much.. maybe someone else here might have a clue..

anyway, if you do decide to go for s-off'ing which i highly recommend you can find all you need in the general section (but be sure to check your hboot version and read twice before doing)

best of luck!

a guy from androidforums.com have given me a way to " reset the diagnostic monitor on
the phone which could be stopping the phone
from recognising SD cards" by SDK with some commands. though I've never used SDK but I'll try. but if failed I'll of course root and s-off. please help me then.

S.Nahid

Feb 20, 2012
Dhaka
No luck this time too. I used following to commands in adb

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot reboot

but still no change in Blank SD card.

Saipro

Sep 29, 2011
Since warranty isn't an issue, ROOT is strongly suggested - if only for the purpose of Custom Recovery

Reactions: S.Nahid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you've tried multiple cards, that isn't sounding good. Does sound like a Hardware issue, warranty return an option?

did you try your SD card on other phone?
    Since warranty isn't an issue, ROOT is strongly suggested - if only for the purpose of Custom Recovery
    Agree to the above. I'd recommend 4EXT recovery. . .