[Root]How to Root Note2 [N7100] & keep flash counter 0

Search This thread

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
You root any which way (including CWM), then flash back an original recovery ?

I used a modified stock recovery to do it, but in essence that's not much different than using CWM for this purpose.

Cool...so it is basically the solution that Dr k has suggested atm... :) that's fine...like I say before...I don't need to flash stock recovery and triangle away unless I need to claim my warranty....

PS...what's this modified stock recovery? Sounds like it's something of a personal use to you? Or has it been released too?

THANKS!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

thatrunks

Sep 27, 2007
Zwijndrecht
I thought this was understood by now - you can't keep the counter at 0 and status on official while running a custom kernel or recovery (cwm) ...

Anyways, yes, the counter being 0 is the important part. The official state can usually be regained if when softbricked. When hardbricked, the status can't be checked. The very most important part is that when it becomes warranty time, we can reset all statusses by resetting and flashing full stock firmware.

And we hope that it's never warranty time ;)

But great stuff guys keep it going :good:

These are my stats. And I'm fine with it. When it's needed I can reset the counter (but it was not needed accordingly to the salesman of the shop, to claim it on warranty).

Product name: G-N7100
Custom Binary Download: YES (1 counts)
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom

jbounours

Feb 27, 2012
London
I see no reasons for all steps above. I mean if you want root but not CWM, one would flash a pre rooted rom via odin PC and voila. Rooted. No counter issues.

afilopou

Oct 21, 2010
Athens
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I see no reasons for all steps above. I mean if you want root but not CWM, one would flash a pre rooted rom via odin PC and voila. Rooted. No counter issues.

as he said... or is there a reason for all this?

pre rooted stock rom had an issue with old bootloader (which fixed initially from Chenglu, and as i9000+bodivas released it as well) and i think these prerooted roms generate the problem with stock recovery http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32446500&postcount=123

Reactions: dr.ketan

Narhim

Jul 10, 2011
pre rooted stock rom had an issue with old bootloader (which fixed initially from Chenglu, and as i9000+bodivas released it as well) and i think these prerooted roms generate the problem with stock recovery http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32446500&postcount=123

sigh, IC. its getting a bit complicated to be honest. There is a bunch of guides atm telling us to do this and that and forwarding us to this and that place and every one of these guides/modifications is working with this or that stock rom (pre-rooted or not) and not working with others.. Errors just appear, then disappear and other appear again.
The problem is I am starting to loose track ^^ and that in the most of the cases the devs are explaining things very fast and with little details (I know they think, an average user as I am won´t understand the details, but little more details would be nice), so when I am reading the guide to root and flash my SGN2 I feel a bit lost in some moments...
The problem is, I am a former HTC user and all this "badarse triangle of fear" stuff is totally unknown to me. I never had any issue to s-off + root/cwm my HTC devices, because I read 5x through the guides and asked holes into the devs, till I got my answers. This also helped other people who were not that persistent.
I tried this in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1915386 but noone seemed to care, so I gave up :p (don´t have that much time atm because of my RL is very time consuming, but hopefully this will change soon).

To this guide. I am still missing some pieces, so please enlighten me, so that I won´t brick my new smartphone (first Samsung phone I own).

Flash chenglu's custom recovery (first line on my signature post #2) = here you mean the "cwm6-root-note2.tar" with 12.1MB?
- just flash via Bootloader (power down + home + power)? or via Odin 3.07 (PDA)?

Download this recovery = this recovery is STOCK, so basically you replace the not working one CWM6 with the original one..?

"this status can be achieved even in semibricked condition" - well is that just theoretical or will I semibrick my phone with anything I do before for sure?

You will have binary count '0' and current binary 'official' as well system status 'official' = ok, Stock recovery with root, so basically I can go to root via Bootloader. Can I also use software like Quick boot?

Is Rom Manager necessary in this situation?
I suppose I'd need to install superuser after root.

That is for now... I now I probably seem to be very noobish for you, but I am no programmer (scientist working with BSL-3 viruses) and I am asking because I´d like to learn programing a bit...
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
1.Flash chenglu's custom recovery (first line on my signature post #2) = here you mean the "cwm6-root-note2.tar" with 12.1MB?
- just flash via Bootloader (power down + home + power)? or via Odin 3.07 (PDA)?

2.Download this recovery = this recovery is STOCK, so basically you replace the not working one CWM6 with the original one..?

3."this status can be achieved even in semibricked condition" - well is that just theoretical or will I semibrick my phone with anything I do before for sure?

4.You will have binary count '0' and current binary 'official' as well system status 'official' = ok, Stock recovery with root, so basically I can go to root via Bootloader. Can I also use software like Quick boot?

5.Is Rom Manager necessary in this situation?
I suppose I'd need to install superuser after root.

Thanks a lot!
1yes same recovery as you pointed
and yes it is with PDA (i already said in OP)
2.yes
3.semibrick condition where still you can access recovery OR download mode.
In both cases you can change status to official
4. I didn't get your question, but if you are asking abt root, you will have full root access
5.No
Su will still remain inside drawer

Reactions: Narhim

Narhim

Jul 10, 2011
You can understand reason why i said this.
Just read msg above this, still behavior is not fully understood. as well you can find many post here in forum whose counter is raised. I said in general. I asked to avoid just because of those reports, if counter raise then they have to repeat whole procedure, but flashing stock recovery with PC Odin, no report is there, that is the only reason behind this.
Hope you can understand me.

Well as far as I understand it, we´ll then get a naturally rooted Stock ROM with OTA working, so we can use OTA and still remain rooted... :D very good indeed!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For detail guide about how to root N7100 -
    Read
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1896696
    Post # 2 and 3 of above said thread

---------------------------------------------------------------
    This guide basically written when there was only available method to root device was flashing chenglu's recovery, which was causing to raise flash counter 1 even after triangle away. That was due to samsung's bootloader for Note 2 which have autosum check for recovery. So if you are using any custom recovery your flash counter will raise to 1. Also read this if you want to use CWM recovery and want to reset counter at every boot.

Later Chainfire have introduce 'Cf Auto root' and in that case no need to use this tutorial as CF auto root package includes stock recovery.

Still this guide is useful who have flashed CWM and want to move to stock recovery with reseting counter '0'

Here is guide How to reset counter to '0' and keep device rooted

All credits to Chainfire and chenglu, without their amazing tool we can't have this......

-If you have rooted with CWM recovery
    - Your device will have CWM recoovery with root access.
    - Download this stock recovery OR This latest stock recovery from LL7 which believe to be patched by samsung.
    - Flash with PC Odin for PDA tab.
    - Reset counter with Triangle away
    - Now your counter will be '0' and you will have now stock recovery but root access will be intact
    - You will have binnary count '0' but system status still will be 'custom'
    - Reboot to recovery, wipe cache and data
    (this step is just for keeping status' official '
    You can skip if you have too much data, as this status can be achieved even in semibricked condition by wiping from recovery Or by flashing stock rom from download mode. And in hard bricked this status can't be read :p) important thing is to just keep count' 0'.

- You will have binary count '0' and current binary 'official' as well system status 'official'
    - with latest bootloader you can't achieve system status 'official' with wipe cache and data too, in that case you may need to reflash stock ROM, reboot normally, play for 10 min and it should be 'official'

New :
    How to change system status 'Modified' to 'Normal' in device setting without factory reset.

you can enjoy full root access without worrying of warranty

:)
    No No
    This is bootloader bug
    while entering recovery just release power button once splash screen appear, above said error will go, and you can entre to recovery.
    Plz remove quating of full post.
    Now Chainfire have added 'CF Auto Root' to keep counter '0' with Stock recovery

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31801060&postcount=2

Moderator can close this thread Now
    Mobile Odin Pro flashcounter raise is fixed in version 3.40 afaik :)

Mobile odin 3.40 itself first version which have add Note 2 support.
    And i have tried (as well many other user reported) that to flash stock recovery, but it does raise counter.
    Hi guys where is the flash counter these posts r making me paranoid. Right now I flashed like 3 or 4 things but where is the counter???

Vol down +home+power and enter ind download mode.on the upper left screen you see three or four lines.One of them saying something like current binary status

Sent from the Beast