[RESOLVED] [Q] After installing CM 10.2 nightly, 4G not available

Search This thread

harpojaeger

Jan 8, 2014
Providence, RI
Hey folks,
I've been searching for answer to this problem for a while and haven't been able to find a thread that answers my questions. If there is one that I couldn't find, I'd appreciate a link.

I installed CM 10.2 on my D710. After a bunch of issues with it (couldn't get CWM to run, had to use AGAT to install CM, which then brought along a version of CWM that does work), I finally got everything up and running, but 4G isn't available (3G works fine, if a bit slower than I remember, but I've not run any speed tests). I've gone to the #*#*4636*#*# menu and tried every preferred network type – it defaults to WCDMA Preferred, which, if I understand correctly, means 3G only, but even when I set it to LTE Only, for example, there's still no 4G. I've also flashed pretty much every JB modem (and some ICS ones too) I could find (thanks rwilco12!); with some, I couldn't get 3G or voice to work, but even with those that do, 4G just isn't there. No mention anywhere in the system settings menus, nothing.

My best guess at this point is that it's an APN issue, but that's just based on what I've read elsewhere. I also haven't been able to find instructions on how to modify APNs on this device, or what the APN settings really do.

Any help on this would be much appreciated – this is my first time posting, but I've benefitted greatly from the forums in the past. Hope someone here can help me out.

Last edited:

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
4G Wimax was removed from the source code in 4.3 and up (KitKat has no Wimax as well). CM10.2 is Android 4.3, that means no 4G for us unless you are using 4.2.2 (CM10.1) and below. And no there is no way around it. Google did this because no Wimax device will ever have official 4.3 so they decided to trim down the code.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: harpojaeger

bilgerryan

Wow. So is my best bet just downgrading to 10.1? Or is there some way to put Wimax support back in?

No, no way around it. The source code is gone. Unless you know somebody who works for Google on Android and happens to have the missing source code, don't count on it. Yeah CM10.1 still has 4G Wimax.

Reactions: harpojaeger

bilgerryan

Okay, I installed the 10.1 ROM found here. The mobile data settings now include 4G – but it still doesn't work. Modem is FL24. Any ideas for what to try next?

What do you mean by doesn't work? Doesn't turn on? Doesn't connect? Gives you an error? My suggestion is to Odin a stock ROM and make sure nothing is messed up hardware wise.

harpojaeger

Jan 8, 2014
Providence, RI
I'm not sure how to tell whether or not it turns on, but even once I enable it in the settings, I don't see a 4G icon in the status bar, either searching or connecting. It worked fine back on stock Android; I can certainly try to go back to that (although I haven't been able to find a ZIP, only .exe and I'm on Mac), but if I can stick with CM, I'd prefer to...

bilgerryan

I'm not sure how to tell whether or not it turns on, but even once I enable it in the settings, I don't see a 4G icon in the status bar, either searching or connecting. It worked fine back on stock Android; I can certainly try to go back to that (although I haven't been able to find a ZIP, only .exe and I'm on Mac), but if I can stick with CM, I'd prefer to...

Go into System Settings, click on the 4G (may be under Mobile Data, it's been awhile since I've been on AOSP) and it should have a screen similar to this (screenshot is TouchWiz, but you get the point) this is how you'll be able to tell if it's turning on/scanning/connecting.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389226344513.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389226344513.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 29

harpojaeger

Jan 8, 2014
Providence, RI
OK, that's what I thought. So I can turn it on, but no networks show up. It says Scanning, but never finds anything. I'm in downtown SF, so I think it's pretty unlikely that's the issue.

Adreaver

Jun 12, 2012
New London
Have you had wimax before? On a touchwiz or AOSP ROM?

The wimax rollout was halfassed at best, multiple major markets never saw it cause LTE rolled out soon after.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bilgerryan

Welp, turns out I was wrong about that. 4G worked when I took it elsewhere in the city. Sorry for the confusion there; looks like this is resolved. I appreciate all of y'all's help!

Please edit the title of the thread to say (Fixed) or (Resolved) at the end so others with the same problem can easily find a solution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4G Wimax was removed from the source code in 4.3 and up (KitKat has no Wimax as well). CM10.2 is Android 4.3, that means no 4G for us unless you are using 4.2.2 (CM10.1) and below. And no there is no way around it. Google did this because no Wimax device will ever have official 4.3 so they decided to trim down the code.

Wow. So is my best bet just downgrading to 10.1? Or is there some way to put Wimax support back in?

No, no way around it. The source code is gone. Unless you know somebody who works for Google on Android and happens to have the missing source code, don't count on it. Yeah CM10.1 still has 4G Wimax.

Please edit the title of the thread to say (Fixed) or (Resolved) at the end so others with the same problem can easily find a solution

All done – thanks for the help!