Thinking about G Pad instead of Nexus 7..

Search This thread

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Hey guys.

So I have owned a Nexus 7 2013 for more than 8 months now, and having upgraded to it from the 2012 model - I am absolutely in love with the tablet: its weight, its formfactor, its screen, and so on, so I don't regret spending 600$ on it

But recently I though about having a bigger screen in a rather easy-to-use device as far as the weight and portability goes, and my Nexus 10 doesn't quite fit the criteria because it is a 10" tablet and it weighs ~600g, which is twice as much as N7 weighs, so it's not a great bed companion

And then I remembered about this thing - the G Pad 8.3, and it certainly looks like the best Android tablet in this formfactor. But having looked through the specs - I found that it has only 16 gigs of internal storage (as comparded to 32gigs on my N7) even though it has a Micro SD support

But with KitKAt I heard that Google broke the access to external storage, meaning that I'm left with these 16gigs only

Anyways - here's my question: is it worth switching over to the G Pad from the Nexus 7?

I like that both tablets have same screen resolution, that they are still fairly light (~330g for G Pad), and I'm not afraid of losing mobile data capabilities, since I use my N7 at home where I always have my WiFi enabled
But I'm kinda afraid about the internal/external storage - is it true that I'll run out of space pretty quickly just by installing big games and lots of apps? How does this tablet (or, well, any KK device with SD support) handle the two storages?

I saw a module for better handling of external storage - but still, does it mean that the games will store their caches (like Asphalt 8) on the extSD instead of internal storage?

That is pretty much my only concern regarding this device, as I saw that the development is fairly active so I will probably not be much behind the Nexus line as far as AOSP builds go (especially since it's officially supported by CM)

Thanks in advance

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
Hey guys.

So I have owned a Nexus 7 2013 for more than 8 months now, and having upgraded to it from the 2012 model - I am absolutely in love with the tablet: its weight, its formfactor, its screen, and so on, so I don't regret spending 600$ on it

But recently I though about having a bigger screen in a rather easy-to-use device as far as the weight and portability goes, and my Nexus 10 doesn't quite fit the criteria because it is a 10" tablet and it weighs ~600g, which is twice as much as N7 weighs, so it's not a great bed companion

And then I remembered about this thing - the G Pad 8.3, and it certainly looks like the best Android tablet in this formfactor. But having looked through the specs - I found that it has only 16 gigs of internal storage (as comparded to 32gigs on my N7) even though it has a Micro SD support

But with KitKAt I heard that Google broke the access to external storage, meaning that I'm left with these 16gigs only

Anyways - here's my question: is it worth switching over to the G Pad from the Nexus 7?

I like that both tablets have same screen resolution, that they are still fairly light (~330g for G Pad), and I'm not afraid of losing mobile data capabilities, since I use my N7 at home where I always have my WiFi enabled
But I'm kinda afraid about the internal/external storage - is it true that I'll run out of space pretty quickly just by installing big games and lots of apps? How does this tablet (or, well, any KK device with SD support) handle the two storages?

I saw a module for better handling of external storage - but still, does it mean that the games will store their caches (like Asphalt 8) on the extSD instead of internal storage?

That is pretty much my only concern regarding this device, as I saw that the development is fairly active so I will probably not be much behind the Nexus line as far as AOSP builds go (especially since it's officially supported by CM)

Thanks in advance
if u root the g pad they have a mod to fix the SD card issue so you could utilize the external SD card

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

EdenGottlieb

Dec 15, 2013
if u root the g pad they have a mod to fix the SD card issue so you could utilize the external SD card

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Really?! Give me that! I am on CM 11 and I've been looking for that thing for AGES!
BTW, OP: after trying both n7 2013 and g pad I can clearly say the g pad is much more superior IMO, much better speakers, that 1.3" change in screen makes a big difference (a whole lot better), build quality is better... All of that only if you root it and install Infected's CM 11 Custom build which is crazy fast, stock rom is **** and if you're not going with CM 11 just stick with the n7.
BTW, how did you spend 600$ on it when it is 350$ for 32 gigs + 3G model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumanji

Apr 1, 2012
Durham, NC
All of that only if you root it and install Infected's CM 11 Custom build which is crazy fast, stock rom is **** and if you're not going with CM 11 just stick with the n7.

I disagree with that - if you disable all the LG bloat (easy to do) and use a custom launcher, it is a very slick and polished ROM.

And of course with root and Xposed, you can customize all you wish.

I'm sure CM11 is great too, but the stock KK ROM is actually pretty solid :)

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Really?! Give me that! I am on CM 11 and I've been looking for that thing for AGES!
BTW, OP: after trying both n7 2013 and g pad I can clearly say the g pad is much more superior IMO, much better speakers, that 1.3" change in screen makes a big difference (a whole lot better), build quality is better... All of that only if you root it and install Infected's CM 11 Custom build which is crazy fast, stock rom is **** and if you're not going with CM 11 just stick with the n7.
BTW, how did you spend 600$ on it when it is 350$ for 32 gigs + 3G model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For external storage I know there is an Xposed module called HandleExternalStorage, but I still don't know if 16gigs is an issue, I have my N10 fully loaded at 32gigs and have about 7 gigs of free space on my N7 with also 32gigs, that's why I need to make sure that big games can drop their caches (all the assets and stuff) onto external SD card, or else I am pretty much left with, like, 16 1GB games, and that is a big no go, not counting apps

Yeah, I saw there is a CM11 build available, and as far as I know it's officially supported by CM, so I wouldn't have trouble with putting AOSP on this thing

And in Russia N7 LTE costed 550-600$ when it first came out, now it's down to about 450$. Sadly Google hasn't launched Play Devices here yet, and G Pad here is actually almost 100$ less expensive than N7!

I would hold out to see if Google announced the nexus 8 next week.

HTC One M8

Of course, if there is Nexus 8 - I am probably jumping ship on that thing, otherwise I am going for a G Pad

I disagree with that - if you disable all the LG bloat (easy to do) and use a custom launcher, it is a very slick and polished ROM.

And of course with root and Xposed, you can customize all you wish.

I'm sure CM11 is great too, but the stock KK ROM is actually pretty solid :)

Personally I don't like LG's UI. They do have a lot of neat features (and maybe future updates will bring stuff from G3 as well like more navbar buttons and such), but the interface is general is not to my liking - I prefer the AOSP and its vanilla Holo UI.