[ROM][Non-LTE][Unofficial][4.4.2 KitKat]CarbonROM

Search This thread

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Black-on-Trans.png

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code onCarbonDev GitHub.

Follow Carbon ROM's Gerrit to keep yourself updated with feature additions.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users.

WHAT IS WORKING?
  • WiFi
  • Superuser
  • HDMI
  • Camera partially works
  • Almost everything else not listed under "Known Issues" section

KNOWN ISSUES
  • "Buttons" and "Device Tunables" menus don't work
  • Camera not fully implemented.

Suggested Flashing Instructions

• Download the ROM
  • Download Gapps (optional)
  • Wipe system
  • Wipe data
  • Wipe cache
  • Wipe dalvik cache
  • Flash it using TWRP
  • Flash Gapps (only if you downloaded them)
  • Reboot
  • Enjoy!

DOWNLOADS

Carbon ROM
MD5: 2a6a77a43dd936e74621a3b146e06be0

KitKat Gapps

Who is Team Carbon?
Andros11, BigShotRob, Bionic Beast, dg4prez, Kejar31, mattmanwrx, morfic, nocoast, pixeldotz, slick_rick, winner00

Additional Notes
I do not own this device, but I will do my best to support it. I didn't have time to compile one for the LTE-enabled Kindle Fire HD 8.9", but will do whenever I get the chance.

Credits
Team Carbon
CyanogenMod Team
@Hashcode
[MENTION]victormax3[/MENTION] for helping me with occasional boot issues​

A

androvista

Sweet!

Out of topic: First!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Has anyone tested this? I wanna know if it works before making an LTE version

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chingo

Feb 9, 2009
This Rom work great.. Looking for the updates to come..

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda premium

scubaham

Nov 16, 2008
Earlysville, VA
Has anyone tested this? I wanna know if it works before making an LTE version

I'm been running the ROM since you posted it and it runs very smooth.

A couple of minor issues I've seen but it could be my settings:

Settings>Carbon Fibers>Lockscreen >Active Display: I had to turn this off, though I like the feature. It kept wanting to wake up my device and seemed to interfere with the battery charging because it kept waking up the tablet.

Status bar and menu bar disappear occasionally. A quick press off of the power button then back on brings it back. i haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. Like I said, it could be a tweak or a setting on my end unrelated to the ROM.

Thanks for your work on this!

dwcasey

Jul 14, 2010
NW Arkansas
confession...

Was not expecting much from ROM since I have installed a couple of other KK ROMs on my KFHD89 and they were just 'ok' ( not wanting to dis their work, it is very much appreciated ). Well, I am pleasantly surprised with Carbon :D :good:

Mostly two things, performance...everything seems smoother, silkier, quicker...and battery is pretty excellent. I understand some of that is related to KK, but I sense some differences with Carbon.

Still have issue with some apps crashing on launch after install...where the solution is to backup and restore with Titanium Backup...wish this was not needed as a 'fix' ... also, it doesn't work with all apps.

Other than that, it's great and hope OP continue to keep us KFHD89 folks updated with fresh KK...at least for a little while :D

Thank you!

Last edited:

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks

I am not an XBMC user, however I was able to download XBMC from the Play store and launch it. It allows me to search for/connect to an XBMC host.

Thank you for experimenting. I don't think the Playstore has the regular XBMC media center; you may have tested the XBMC Remote app or something similar.

XBMC for Android can only be downloaded here:

http://xbmc.org/download/

I'm still looking for a Kit Kat build that is compatible.

Thank you again.

dwcasey

Jul 14, 2010
NW Arkansas
apps crashing...

Found somewhere else on XDA

+++

Kindle app crashing has a workaround: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48928053#post48928053
Short answer:

download Build.prop Editor from the Play store and use it to change the ro.product.manufacturer line from Amazon to Samsung.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Thank you for experimenting. I don't think the Playstore has the regular XBMC media center; you may have tested the XBMC Remote app or something similar.

Thank you again.

I downloaded and successfully installed the XBMC app from the link you provided. It went through the 'preparing for first run', I am able to swipe through various bits of the menu...I see scrolling news at the bottom. I was able to use the Weather app. Appears to be working. Not sure what else I could do or test with this app.

edit: I added a couple of 'channels' like HGTV and DIY...I was able to start playing/streaming a show on the HGTV channel.
edit2: forgot to mention, it flips the screen 180, but when you turn the tablet to reorient, it sticks, it doesn't flip back.

Last edited:
Reactions: zahir32

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
Great help

+++

Kindle app crashing has a workaround: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48928053#post48928053
Short answer:

download Build.prop Editor from the Play store and use it to change the ro.product.manufacturer line from Amazon to Samsung.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

I downloaded and successfully installed the XBMC app from the link you provided. It went through the 'preparing for first run', I am able to swipe through various bits of the menu...I see scrolling news at the bottom. I was able to use the Weather app. Appears to be working. Not sure what else I could do or test with this app.

edit: I added a couple of 'channels' like HGTV and DIY...I was able to start playing/streaming a show on the HGTV channel.
edit2: forgot to mention, it flips the screen 180, but when you turn the tablet to reorient, it sticks, it doesn't flip back.

You are great. Your experiments have convinced me to install Carbon Rom and go from there. Many thanks.

Reactions: dwcasey

smirciat

Nov 15, 2013
Homer, Alaska
Good to have another option

Loving the other KitKat Jem ROMs here as well, I appreciated your comment about wanting to keep this device section from getting too boring! Glad to hear there's still activity on the LTE front, although I realize that's a tricky one. I'm not expecting miracles here, just glad to hear about the interest. Thanks for all of it!

hhairplane

May 4, 2011
Loving the other KitKat Jem ROMs here as well, I appreciated your comment about wanting to keep this device section from getting too boring! Glad to hear there's still activity on the LTE front, although I realize that's a tricky one. I'm not expecting miracles here, just glad to hear about the interest. Thanks for all of it!

Any updates on LTE or general Rom updates?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Black-on-Trans.png

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code onCarbonDev GitHub.

Follow Carbon ROM's Gerrit to keep yourself updated with feature additions.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users.

WHAT IS WORKING?
    • WiFi
    • Superuser
    • HDMI
    • Camera partially works
    • Almost everything else not listed under "Known Issues" section

KNOWN ISSUES
    • "Buttons" and "Device Tunables" menus don't work
    • Camera not fully implemented.

Suggested Flashing Instructions

• Download the ROM
    • Download Gapps (optional)
    • Wipe system
    • Wipe data
    • Wipe cache
    • Wipe dalvik cache
    • Flash it using TWRP
    • Flash Gapps (only if you downloaded them)
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy!

DOWNLOADS

Carbon ROM
    MD5: 2a6a77a43dd936e74621a3b146e06be0

KitKat Gapps

Who is Team Carbon?
    Andros11, BigShotRob, Bionic Beast, dg4prez, Kejar31, mattmanwrx, morfic, nocoast, pixeldotz, slick_rick, winner00

Additional Notes
    I do not own this device, but I will do my best to support it. I didn't have time to compile one for the LTE-enabled Kindle Fire HD 8.9", but will do whenever I get the chance.

Credits
    Team Carbon
    CyanogenMod Team
    @Hashcode
    [MENTION]victormax3[/MENTION] for helping me with occasional boot issues​
    Sweet!

Out of topic: First!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

Yeah, I thought it was starting to look a little boring here in the 8.9" Development forums, so I did a build of this, patched it up, and uploaded it.
    Thanks! I'm glad to know that it works. I'll try to get an LTE one up.

apps crashing...

+++

Short answer:

Thank you again.

Great help

+++

Short answer:

You are great. Your experiments have convinced me to install Carbon Rom and go from there. Many thanks.