Will everyone please stop talking about different hardware versions?

Search This thread

rockknee

Apr 13, 2013
Masku
Couldn't agree more this! I have 402K device and yes there is a little rattle on my buttons and some light bleed and speaker holes aren't that big that on the pictures of "new revision" device. I have to say I'm very happy with my device. As long as power button works, screen is working and sound comes out from speaker I'm not even considering RMA. Such a stupid thing to do with perfectly functioning device :)

Reactions: DigitalUnderground

ej8989

Jul 8, 2012
Manila
Occasionally (once or twice a month) vibration motor malfunctions. It just vibrates randomly for about 0.5 - 3 seconds. I can live with it, but when it happens it's annoying; especially when I'm expecting an important sms and when I look at the phone there's none.

EDIT: Wrong thread. Delete if need be.

antec123

Jun 26, 2011
Did you read the thread?

yes i read the thread, i just pissed that i can't play my device since it's screen flickering and i just bought it 2 weeks ago. I will go to LG service center (in my country they just open on 4th august since it's Ramadan holiday), i hope that they can give me the replacement.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
yes i read the thread, i just pissed that i can't play my device since it's screen flickering and i just bought it 2 weeks ago. I will go to LG service center (in my country they just open on 4th august since it's Ramadan holiday), i hope that they can give me the replacement.

So why are you posting "401k"? This thread tells you it means nothing.

wangdaning

Sep 17, 2012
Wuxi
There is only two versions 820/821. What you posted is manufacturing date, not version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium App

yoni999

Apr 27, 2011
rootSU - I get what you're saying about serials not meaning hardware revisions, but isn't that confusing?
As was pointed out by tylerdurden83, there was a GPS issue which was found on 310k models.
If this issue was fixed on that same 310k batch (and we can safely assume that it was), then that same issue has a much lower chance appearing on a future batch (small chance of the same issue returning after something was done to prevent it). Not to say new different defects wont start appearing.
You said "there is no relevance to the serial number", but by having one batch you probably wont have the defects of a different batch.

If I could minimize the risk of having a GPS issue by not buying 310k models, but still may have rattle of screen issues, I would prefer that.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
rootSU - I get what you're saying about serials not meaning hardware revisions, but isn't that confusing?
As was pointed out by tylerdurden83, there was a GPS issue which was found on 310k models.
If this issue was fixed on that same 310k batch (and we can safely assume that it was), then that same issue has a much lower chance appearing on a future batch (small chance of the same issue returning after something was done to prevent it). Not to say new different defects wont start appearing.
You said "there is no relevance to the serial number", but by having one batch you probably wont have the defects of a different batch.

If I could minimize the risk of having a GPS issue by not buying 310k models, but still may have rattle of screen issues, I would prefer that.

i bought mine in december of 2013, theres no gps issue. most times you read about "issues", its usually a very very very few people that have issues. people that dont have issue, dont post about it. and people that do have issues, post it everywhere.

godgib

Jan 18, 2011
I'm doing a RMA because my phone has 20 days left on the warranty, I got the first batch never had any problems with it. I'm just now getting really bad battery life however the phone is a yr old, and the were and tear on the phone, so if i can swap it out for a refurb, maybe they send me a new one, it's got to be better then mine at this point.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm doing a RMA because my phone has 20 days left on the warranty, I got the first batch never had any problems with it. I'm just now getting really bad battery life however the phone is a yr old, and the were and tear on the phone, so if i can swap it out for a refurb, maybe they send me a new one, it's got to be better then mine at this point.

A new genuine OEM battery costs $15. Besides, degradation would not be a noticeable issue after 1 year. Your issue is probably software related as is usually the case.

If you plan to RMA just to "freshen up" your device, I would reconsider.

Aircondition

Dec 10, 2011

A new battery cost only 15$ and its lower risk than getting an refurbished device which may have even worse battery.
Also remember li-ion battery degrade between 2-3% each month. If you discharge it to 0% every time instead of charge it every time it go below 40% it will degrade much faster. If you charge it at same time playing graphics intensive games like Real Racing battery will loose a lot of capacity if you do that regularly.

Under extreme circumstances battery may have lost up to 36% of its capacity.

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
A new battery cost only 15$ and its lower risk than getting an refurbished device which may have even worse battery.
Also remember li-ion battery degrade between 2-3% each month. If you discharge it to 0% every time instead of charge it every time it go below 40% it will degrade much faster. If you charge it at same time playing graphics intensive games like Real Racing battery will loose a lot of capacity if you do that regularly.

Under extreme circumstances battery may have lost up to 36% of its capacity.

Most people don't want to take apart their phones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serial numbers are not revisions

There's thread after thread after thread about Nexus defects and "311k fixed this but broke that". I've been posting a common response in most of these threads multiple times but it is too much effort to keep doing this.

Now please, all of you do this. Boot into your bootloader and look at your hardware version. It's rev_11, right?

That's because there is only ONE hardware version as per LG's understanding.

So what does 310, 311, 312 mean? Well it looks like month of manufacture doesn't it?! October, November, December?

2013-10K

2013-11K

2013-12K

2014-01K

"But, but, but i've got bigger speaker holes and my buttons don't rattle..."

Sure, manufacturing tolerances mean there will always be slight variances. Devices are built on different manufacturing lines, in different plants, in different countries perhaps - all maintained and calibrated by different teams. This is common. It is impossible (IMPOSSIBLE) to manufacture 2 identical devices. Humans are not good enough at it. This is why all the CPU's are binned between PSV 0-6.. these are within tolerance. Otherwise they'd all be PSV 3, or whatever is thought to be "optimum".

These tolerances mean that there are variations in every single component. No 2 are identical, meaning no 2 Nexus 5's are identical. Technically, every Nexus 5 is a variation. A variation of the perfect one, which probably doesn't exist

All these questions about "If I buy from store x" or "If I RMA now"..... "will I get new version?" Are pointless... there are no newer versions.

The defects reported exist across all the serial numbers. My 310 doesn't have any button rattle. It only rattles the autofocus when I rattle the device from side to side. So to say all 310's buttons rattle and all 311's fixed this is false... and now we have 312's with rattle... what happened? Did LG remove the fix? No! It was never a fix.

It seems some people want to RMA based on their serial number and nothing else or trying to avoid a particular serial... don't. Buy the device normally. If it has specific faults that you're not willing to put up with, RMA it. That's it. Please stop stressing about serial numbers. Buy your device and enjoy it, but please can we try and keep these threads where everyone posts "I've got a 311k and I have x fault" to a minimum? They're not helpful and mean nothing and clog up this forum with nonsense.

I admit the Defects thread may serve some purpose but this is happening there too, meaning the information is tainted.

Further logic

Here's some further logic I would like to include in this post.

The Nexus 5 is not manufactured in batches. It is manufactured 24/7. There is no end of an old batch and beginning of a new batch. The phone that rolls off the production line at 23:59 on October the 31st gets the 310K serial number. The very next phone that rolls off the same line at 00:00 on November 1st gets the 311K serial number.

If a fault had been found in 1 out of every 200 Nexus 5's, where the vibrator motor was faulty, what do you think would happen? Do you think that LG would discard the millions of vibrator motors they have in stock, replace every one with millions more and cease production immediately until the new motor is put in? The fact of the matter is if for every 1 Nexus 5 with a faulty vibrator, there are 199 with a working vibrator, it would be cheaper to repair the 1. What would you do if you were LG? Would you discard 199 good "type A" vibrators and buy 200 "type B" vibrators? Would you stop all of your productions lines and lose money by being unable to service demand? Or would it be cheaper to repair that 1 faulty device with a new vibrator and let the other 199 get manufactured and sold? Would you use up all the old stock of "type A" vibrators until they were gone, knowing only 1 in 200 would be faulty, then when you run out, start using "type B"? I certainly would as that is much cheaper than ceasing production in multiple plants around the world ans scrapping all the good "type a" motors.

In regards to the above, would all "type A" vibrators run out at 23:59 on October 31st, in every plant around the world? Then at 00:00 on November 1st, all "type B" would be used? If you were to scrap all "type A" vibrators and replace them with "type B", would you wait until the next month, when the serial number automatically changes? What would be the significance in that? If you're really going to be bold and scrap them all, you wouldn't wait until the end of the month. if you were happy to wait until the end of the month, then there would never have been a need to scrap them all in the first place. If the bold decision to scrap them ALL is made, you'd do it immediately

If you tightened Quality control, or started adding more glue to hold something in place, would you wait until midnight on the last day of the month to implement it? Why?

If tight rocker buttons and larger speaker holes are a fix and LG have waited to change serial number before implementing the fix, why are there even newer devices with newer serial numbers that do not have this "fix"? If loose rockers are something that needs to be fixed, why haven't all older devices got them? Why hasn't mine?

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
    Thank you times 100 Mr. rootSU. If you have a faulty device, by all means return it. As for these people who keep returning perfectly good devices, one after another, thinking if only they return enough devices, eventually they'll win a "new and improved" phone in some mythical Nexus 5 lottery, cut it out. Seriously this behavior will have implications for all us. Google already sells the Nexus devices for basically zero profit in order to grow the Android user base and developer community. Google wants to keep their customers happy, but every time someone returns a device it eats into their bottom line as they obviously can't resell a used device as new. So what do you think they're going to do to recover the cost of excessive and unnecessary returns? They'll pass it off onto the consumer in the form higher hardware prices (do you want to pay $500 for the next Nexus?) and they'll revise their liberal return policy in order to deter excessive returning, thereby making the process more difficult and time-consuming for people who legitimately need a replacement device.

I've said a bunch of times on this forum and I'll say it one more time, there never was a hardware revision, there is only one version as per the revision number in the bootloader. The serial numbers vary depending on where and when the device was manufactured, and as you can see their are slight variations between products produced on different assembly lines. The machines may be calibrated differently from one line to another, some assembly lines have tighter quality control than others, etc. The bottom line is there exists only one revision. Even if at some point Google and LG do decide to revise the hardware, it doesn't entitle everyone who previously bought the device to a replacement. As long as you received a functional device, they're fulfilled their contractual and moral obligation. They don't have to replace previously purchased devices just because they come out with something better in the future. This is just the cost of early adoption. Like I said, if you receive a faulty device, by all means exchange it. If not, enjoy your device and be grateful that you can buy a top-of-the-line Android handset for $400 contract-free and carrier-unlocked.
    Point is, people spend hard earned money on a brand new device, they should get basic functionality correct of a smart phone.

I moved on from nexuses series due to this very reason. You don't let these corps. get away with these defacts and tell other users to stfu and just accept it with faults.

You probably don't work hard to earn that $1. People are experiencing issues, and i highly doubt they are "making it up".

You're just a rude lil annoying internet troll dude lol, who believes everything is right and what you claim is perfect, while others are just dumba$$ lol.

Anyway, this is a useless thread, waste of time, and just to get attention/to be praised, and feel you are all mighty individual.

Pathetic.

No one said people didn't have issues. No one said corporations should get away with anything. If you actually read the OP, it says there are no hardware revisions and that the serial number means nothing. Thats all it says.

People who lack the intelligence to read should refrain from posting.

Refrain means "stop one's self from doing something". The meaning of words can be found in books called "dictionaries" if you're struggling.

Idiot!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Point is, people spend hard earned money on a brand new device, they should get basic functionality correct of a smart phone.

I moved on from nexuses series due to this very reason. You don't let these corps. get away with these defacts and tell other users to stfu and just accept it with faults.

You probably don't work hard to earn that $1. People are experiencing issues, and i highly doubt they are "making it up".

You're just a rude lil annoying internet troll dude lol, who believes everything is right and what you claim is perfect, while others are just dumba$$ lol.

Anyway, this is a useless thread, waste of time, and just to get attention/to be praised, and feel you are all mighty individual.

Pathetic.

You clearly have missed the entire point of the thread. He's not saying that there are no defects. He's saying that any defects there may be are not in any way related to the serial number of the phone. Maybe get your facts straight before you post.
    Great explanation! You had me at "manufacturing tolerances". Everyone wants a perfect device, but humans are not.