[NC][1.4.1][1.4.2][1.4.3] ManualNooter 5.08.20

Search This thread

nuttsp

Jul 29, 2007
Hi,
First thank you for this very simple root guide.

I must have done something wrong because I can not get my nook to boot from the SD card. My nook already has 1.14.1 on it. Below are the steps that I took.

I have a 2g card and formatted it with my nook.

Then used Win32DiskImager and wrote the "1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.img" to the card.

Then I copied "manualnooter-5.02.19.zip" to the root of the card.

Then I put the card in the nook and powered on.

After that the nook just powers up normally.

Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong? I must be missing something.

Thanks

After this post I think I have found the issue. I was loading "1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.img" on my 2gb card. I will retry using the correct img.

Last edited:

Omega Ra

Apr 1, 2009
Metuchen, NJ
I don't need the apps2sd version to install the OC kernel right? what is apps2sd anyway?

edit: love the new boot animation btw. I installed the kernel fine. how do I do the adb thing again to get a different keyboard?

Last edited:

nuttsp

Jul 29, 2007
Well I must be missing something I installed the image for my 2gb card, inserted it into my nook, powered it up and nothing. It booted normally. Anyone have ideas on what I could try next?

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
So I realize this post is for an already registered Nook but does anyone know how to bypass the Out of Box Experience on 1.4.1? The Wiki tip doesn't work on the latest firmware.

My buddy bought a Nook Color for dirt cheap on Craigslist and Tech Support won't unlink the serial number and account. My friend doesn't care about the B&N content, he just wanted a cheap Android tablet.

Any advice on bypassing the Setup screen so I can get this thing nootered?

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Well I must be missing something I installed the image for my 2gb card, inserted it into my nook, powered it up and nothing. It booted normally. Anyone have ideas on what I could try next?

Formatting the card with the NC was the problem. Take out the sd card, blow away all the partitions with easus partition manager. Then using Win32DiskImager create the bootable sd card. I would use the 2gb cwm from http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...od-recovery-twrp-version-3-2-0-1-sd-card.html

nuttsp

Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for the help. I tried this with two different SD cards and still no luck. The nook always boots normally.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for the help. I tried this with two different SD cards and still no luck. The nook always boots normally.

If you can describe EXACTLY the equipment you used (what computer PC or MAC), the OS version (XP or Win 7, x86, x64, Lion, ..) what SD card reader, and exactly the process you followed - someone might be able to help you. I suspect that the image is not written to the SD card correctly.

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
Really simple, load Dolphin HD from market and just went to cbs.com to watch NCIS and then abc.com to watch Castle.

Thanks for looking into this and for posting this thread on how to root 1.4.1. The instructions were great.

I tested this with Dolphin HD version 7.3.0, and Adobe flash player 11.1.111.6. Dolphin HD was set as user agent desktop, and plug-in always on. For the ABC content I noticed that you must not run any ad-blocking add-ons, or ad blocking from the host file. I had an ad-blocking host file on my system, once I deleted it, and rebooted the system, I could watch the ABC content. Sometimes it would fail on first attempted, but would work on the second try.

Hi

Thanks a million for the 5.02.19 version for the stock 1.4.1 firmware NC. Like several others, I got stuck in the initial "Read Forever" boot screen with the 5.02.12 version, but there's no problem booting and rooting with the 5.02.19 version and accessing and installing Marketplace apps.

However, I cant figure out if there is any way of enabling bluetooth with this setup. I've tried flashing both manualnooter-5.02.19.zip and the manualnooter-5.02.19.apps2sd.zip with the Dalingrin OC kernel with bluetooth support, but in both cases, I dont see any user level Settings to enable bluetooth. Is there any fix for this, besides using CM7?

Thanks.

-hari

There is no Bluetooth support in the factory firmware. We don’t have access to the source code that builds the stock ROM, so we can’t enable Bluetooth in the boardconfig.mk file.

Hi,
First thank you for this very simple root guide.

I must have done something wrong because I can not get my nook to boot from the SD card. My nook already has 1.14.1 on it. Below are the steps that I took.

I have a 2g card and formatted it with my nook.

Then used Win32DiskImager and wrote the "1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.img" to the card.

Then I copied "manualnooter-5.02.19.zip" to the root of the card.

Then I put the card in the nook and powered on.

After that the nook just powers up normally.

Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong? I must be missing something.

Thanks

After this post I think I have found the issue. I was loading "1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.img" on my 2gb card. I will retry using the correct img.

It does not matter if you use the 1gb, 2gb, or whatever size image file. The 1gb file just means that you will have a 1gb partition on the SD card, I have used the 1gb on a 16gb SD card without a problem. I put the 1gb file in the directions to accommodate everyone’s SD card size.

Are you using a memory card reader to access the SD card from your computer? It almost sound like you are leaving the SD card in your NC, and then plugging your NC into your computer to flash the drive with Win32DiskImager. If Win32DiskImager is finishing without error with a memory card reader to access the SD card, then it should work when you put it into your NC, and turn it on.

I don't need the apps2sd version to install the OC kernel right? what is apps2sd anyway?

edit: love the new boot animation btw. I installed the kernel fine. how do I do the adb thing again to get a different keyboard?

No, the OC kernel can be installed on both versions without any problems. Apps2sd is exactly what it sounds like, you can install your applications to your SD card to free up space on the device. Some of the larger applications require apps2sd to install. Apps can me moved back and forth from the device and SD card using manage application from NookColor Tools.

To get another keyboard, you need to place the apk file for that keyboard into the /system/app folder. You then reboot the device, and select the new keyboard using NookColor Tools. If you need to know how to do this using ADB, just let me know, and I will tell you how.

So I realize this post is for an already registered Nook but does anyone know how to bypass the Out of Box Experience on 1.4.1? The Wiki tip doesn't work on the latest firmware.

My buddy bought a Nook Color for dirt cheap on Craigslist and Tech Support won't unlink the serial number and account. My friend doesn't care about the B&N content, he just wanted a cheap Android tablet.

Any advice on bypassing the Setup screen so I can get this thing nootered?

If your buddy does not care about the B&N content, then you should just make a bootable CWM card, download the CyanogenMod 7.2 file, place it onto the bootable CWM card, turn off the NC, place that bootable CWM card into the NC, turn on the NC, and flash the CM 7.2 image. There is no need to root the factory firmware, just to install another Rom on the NC.

Reactions: gsutton

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
It does not matter if you use the 1gb, 2gb, or whatever size image file. The 1gb file just means that you will have a 1gb partition on the SD card, I have used the 1gb on a 16gb SD card without a problem. I put the 1gb file in the directions to accommodate everyone’s SD card size.

Are you using a memory card reader to access the SD card from your computer? It almost sound like you are leaving the SD card in your NC, and then plugging your NC into your computer to flash the drive with Win32DiskImager. If Win32DiskImager is finishing without error with a memory card reader to access the SD card, then it should work when you put it into your NC, and turn it on.

Just to reinforce this note: you must use an external memory card reader in order to create a bootable SD card. Using the NC is probably the reason why you are bypass the SD card on boot.

framitz

May 1, 2011
RSM, CA
Hi,

I think you wrote clockwork mod to internal memory, so you will need to wipe back to totally stock to successfully apply the update and root.

This post shows reverting to 1.2, which I had to do, the second option will return it to 1.2 stock, then when you power up and set up it should get the 1.4.1 update. CWM won't be there, so going back to the first post should get you going toward root.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1050520

Maybe a quicker fix,

Try booting to CWM recovery to see if it is internal;

Hold n , press power and hold until it shuts back down, then press n and power again and hold about 8 seconds, if CWM recovery comes up, try flashing the zip file from SD, it might / should?, take it that way and you'll be rooted.

Last edited:

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
If your buddy does not care about the B&N content, then you should just make a bootable CWM card, download the CyanogenMod 7.2 file, place it onto the bootable CWM card, turn off the NC, place that bootable CWM card into the NC, turn on the NC, and flash the CM 7.2 image. There is no need to root the factory firmware, just to install another Rom on the NC.
I was trying to find a way like my phone where I could get in to a download mode and either flash a new kernel through a .tar with CWM baked in so I could mount the internal storage from CWM. (Odin + tarball = easy life)

Your suggestion will definitely work, my buddy just needs to go buy a MicroSD card :)

el_venga

May 17, 2007
im having same problem as nuttsp. no boot from sdcard, tried 2x 2gb and 1x 4gb, still no recovery boot. even tried generic installer with cm7. im going to reinstall 1.4.1 again.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
im having same problem as nuttsp. no boot from sdcard, tried 2x 2gb and 1x 4gb, still no recovery boot. even tried generic installer with cm7. im going to reinstall 1.4.1 again.

Nuttsp seem to be quiet - hopefully that is good news. I have an old version of CWM (3.0.2.8) and wanted to create a new bootable CWM.

Here's what I did (a few minutes ago).

Purchased a 4gb microsd card from Microcenter.
Ran h2testw 1.4 to verify that the sd card was error free; time: 15minutes
Copy the bootable 4gb cwm (not TWRP) from the dropbox share:
http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...od-recovery-twrp-version-3-2-0-1-sd-card.html
Using 7zip, unzip the the rar file to PC running Win7x64.
Inserted my microsd into USB card reader (not the Nook!)
Used win32image to write the 4gb image to the microsd (about 15 minutes)
Power down my NC, inserted the microsd and now doing a backup....

The important point is NOT to use NC to create the image, you need an external usb card reader.

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010

I don't see reinstalling 1.4.1 helping you out any with this issue. Here are a couple guidelines that should help you out:

• You MUST use an external memory card reader to write the file to the SD card
  • You MUST run Win32DiskImager as administrator, right-click on the application, and select "Run as Administrator"
  • You MUST turn off your NC before you insert the SD card
  • If you reach "Read Forever" when you start-up, turn off the device, and then power on again.

el_venga

May 17, 2007
I don't see reinstalling 1.4.1 helping you out any with this issue. Here are a couple guidelines that should help you out:

• You MUST use an external memory card reader to write the file to the SD card
  • You MUST run Win32DiskImager as administrator, right-click on the application, and select "Run as Administrator"
  • You MUST turn off your NC before you insert the SD card
  • If you reach "Read Forever" when you start-up, turn off the device, and then power on again.

EDIT: problem solved. this is nook tablet and not nook color. the model from the back is not readable so i searched a lot and confirmed it.

Last edited:

Bobioden

Mar 20, 2011
I installed 5.12.20 back in Dec 20. I hadn't been on for a bit, came back to see the version is 5.02.19 on the front page is the most current? Is the version I have an old one and should not be used? It seems pretty stable.

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I installed 5.12.20 back in Dec 20. I hadn't been on for a bit, came back to see the version is 5.02.19 on the front page is the most current? Is the version I have an old one and should not be used? It seems pretty stable.

By upgrading, you should get a lot more apps in the market, facebook, angrybirds, tweetdeck, among a lot of others. Just make sure that you follow step 14 under “Let’s get started” to clear out the old market information. Since you have one of the old versions, there is no need to do a wipe of the system. If you are happy with the function, and app results in the market, then by all means keep what you have. There is also the option for apps2sd, if you need that support.

luck13lefty

Nov 1, 2010
Followed the instructions and happy to say I have full access to the market, and my info from B&N is still on my nook. I have no problems with my device that I can see. Thanks for your hard work !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.4.3 ONLY - Please don't quote the first post.

As of October 31 2013, the Nook Color with Froyo is dead in the water, as far as the Google Play store is concerned. Google updated to Google Play Services 4.0, and with it killed off the API support for Android 2.2 Froyo. That means that almost all apps being produced or updated since then will not support Froyo. If you look up Angry Birds on the Play Store website, you will see that the minimum system requirements are Android 2.3 and up.
    • What it does:
      • Permanently Enable ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs Busybox
      • Installs Softkeys
      • Installs Zeam Launcher
      • Installs B&N HomeLauncher
      • Installs HomeCatcher
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
      • Installs Live Wallpapers
      • Installs Custom Boot Animation
      • Fix to Allow update to Adobe Flash and Air
      • App Auto Install (Open up manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • uRamdisk - Enable permanent ADB Access
      • /system/build.prop - Fingerprint change
      • download.db - Fixes Market "Download Unsuccessful" issues
      • services.jar - Fixes apps2sd

• Changes:
      • August 20, 2012 -
        • Updated Adobe Flash to version 11.1.111.10
        • Moved Adobe Air from the Data partition, to the System partition. This is to fix the "Read-To-Me" playback error.
        • Fixed the missing text in the "NookColor Tools" app
        • Introduced versions that disable B&N updates, by utilizing the SQLite method
        • Introduced incremental updates, so that you can flash only the changes that were made in the upgrade
      • February 19, 2012 - Fixed script that deleted the kernel image, and left you stuck at "Read Forever"
      • February 12, 2012 - Initial release

• Before you begin:
      1. You must do a complete wipe before installing this package.
      2. If you want to update to 1.4.3 - Instructions HERE
      3. You must already have a registered Nook Color
      4. YOU MUST DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR B&N CONTENT BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, OR YOU RUN THE RISK OF LOSING ALL ACCESS TO B&N CONTENT
      5. You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration use that one for this process.
      6. You must have a bootable ClockWorkMod version 3.2.0.1 SD card: HERE - Use Win32DiskImager to flash this image to your SD card LINK
        • OR emmc CWM Recovery Installed
      7. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.
      8. If you don't have enough posts to post in the development section, please go post in the Q&A section, and post with "MN5" in the heading. I don't read every post on this board, so I can get to you a little easier if you follow these guidelines.

• Let's get started:
      • If you're running a previous MN 5, you do not need to do a complete wipe.
        1. Download one of the Following ManualNooter 5 files based on your needs:
        2. If you will be flashing with apps2sd support, you will also need to download one of the following kernel images to fully utilize apps2sd support.
        3. Copy above file(s) onto your bootable CWM SD card using Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.
          • DO NOT extract the zip file. It MUST be left as-is
          • DO NOT copy the zip file into a folder. Leave it at the top directory of your card.
        4. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If plugged in)
        5. Turn off your Nook Color. (If turned on)
        6. Insert bootable CWM SD card with ManualNooter into your Nook Color.
        7. Turn on your Nook Color
          • If using bootable CWM SD card this should boot you directly into recovery
          • If using emmc CWM Recovery instead of SD card CWM Recovery, boot to recovery.
        8. When CWM boots select:
          • install zip from sdcard (Volume down 4 times, then n)
          • choose zip from sdcard (Volume down 1 time, then n)
          • manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip (Hit volume up until you get to it, then n)
          • Confirm that you really want to run the update
            • Selecting this indicates that you take responsibility for your own actions.
        9. Wait patiently and follow onscreen directions
          • If you flashed apps2sd file, now would be the time to flash the kernel for full support.
          • Remove bootable CWM card from Nook Color and select reboot
          • If you get "Install Failed" after rebooting out of CWM this can be normal. Just reboot again.
        10. After reboot and unlocking your device select Zeam Launcher.
        11. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service/Sign In.
          • Exit out of the market, wait a couple minutes for Gapps to sync everything up, and market to update
          • When the market icon has changes, open it again to accept terms of conditions again for the updated market.
          • You may not have to Accept Terms and Service or Sign In if you're updating from a previous MN version.
          • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted.
        12. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the Nook Color Tools App.
          • Uncheck the top box, then recheck the box again
        13. (OPTIONAL) To restore the SD card to a "usable" state
          • Insert bootable CWM card into Nook Color
          • Go to Settings > Device Info > SD card > UnMount > Format
          • This will wipe your SD card of all MN/CWM bootable abilities. If you use this you will have to reflash the SD card for future MN releases if you don't flash CWM to your emmc.
        14. If you are upgrading from manualnooter-5.01.21, or earlier:
          • You need to perform the market limited visibility steps found below
          • If the market dies on you after performing those steps:
            1. Go into manage applications
            2. Select Market
            3. Uninstall updates
            4. Open market and accept user agreement
            5. Exit market to let it update itself
            6. Open market and accept user agreement

• How-To Video
    • Known issues without solutions:
      • Network Location isn't enabled -
        • Signature Issue -
      • News and Weather app/widget -
        • Reliant on network location -

• Known issues and solutions:
      • Google Search widget crashes - This is an issue with the NC network location
        • Start the Google Search app
        • Press the "Menu" button
        • Select "Search settings"
        • Uncheck the box next to "Use My Location"
      • Read-To-Me playback problem -
        • If you have upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Open Manage Applications
          • Select "All"
          • Locate and select "Adobe AIR"
          • Select "Uninstall Updates" from the upper right corner
          • Exit back to the launcher, and select the "Play Store"
          • Search for "Adobe AIR"
          • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating" box
        • If you have not upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Flash one of the incremental update files with CWM to update to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Open the "Play Store"
          • Search for "Adobe AIR"
          • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating" box
      • ROM Manager file selection -
        • After selecting "Install ROM from SD Card" you can't select a file to flash
          • Open "Manage Application"
          • Select "All"
          • Locate "ROM Manager"
          • Exit back to your launcher, and select "Play Store"
          • Search for "ROM Manager"
          • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating"
      • YouTube won't play HD files
        • Older versions of YouTube allowed you to select "HQ" High Quality playback
          • Open "Manage Application"
          • Select "All"
          • Locate "YouTube"
          • Exit back to your launcher, and select "Play Store"
          • Search for "YouTube"
          • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating"
      • IMEI Force Close -
        • There is no randomly generated IMEI in this version - This can be fixed by using the IMEI Generator HERE
      • Calendar sync -
        • Calendar does not sync properly with multiple calenders linked to your google account. Simply use one of the many free alternative calendar apps.
      • Market has limited visibility - This is a known tablet issue, not just a Nook Color one.
        1. Start Nook Color Tools
        2. Select the "All Settings" button
        3. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If Plugged in.)
        4. Choose "Manage Applications" from the list
        5. Select the "All" tab
        6. Scroll down to "Market" and select it
        7. Tap "Force stop"
        8. Tap "Clear cache"
        9. Tap the back button if you have SoftKeys running, else swipe right to left on the status bar at the bottom of the screen (from the clock to the book icon)
        10. Scroll up to "Google Services Framework" and select it
        11. Tap "Clear data"
        12. Tap "OK"
        13. Tap "Force stop"
        14. Press the n button to return to your launcher
        15. Start Market
        16. At the "An error has occurred" message, tap "OK"
        17. Hold your power button to turn off your Nook Color from the menu
        18. Turn your Nook Color back on and give it a moment to find your WiFi connection
        19. Start Market again, and the problem is resolved

• Complete Wipe:
      • Flash back to clean stock rom
        • This will not work if you're using emmc ClockWorkMod Recovery
        • You must do both parts to completely wipe clean your Nook Color

• Thanks To:
      • thespotlite from Android Creative Syndicate - How-To Video
      • bpk - SoftKeys
      • MrSiir - adbWireless
      • Gojimi - HomeCatcher
      • Suteru - Boot Animation
      • Ben74 - NookColor Tools
      • HamNCheese - B&N HomeLauncher
      • Michael Bentz - Zeam Launcher
      • pokey9000 - Original Nooter that started the AutoNooter and ManualNooter projects.
      • GabrialDestruir - Borrowed install instructions
      • Dalingrin - OC kernel
        • Please Note: If I'm using your app within ManualNooter or AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.
    • Frequently Asked Questions:
      • Can i update Adobe Flash and Air -
        • Yes, the Adobe boot loop fix is applied with MN 5
      • Does this block OTA updates -
        • Starting with ManualNooter-5.08.20 you now have the option to flash a package that will block B&N updates by using the SQLite method
          • update_disable.zip - You can also download, and flash this using CWM at any time to block B&N updates.
          • update_enable.zip - If you need to unblock B&N updates at any time, you can flash this file using CWM to restore the update function.
      • Can I change the stock keyboard -
        • Yes, some of the best known keyboard apps have all been tested to work. Just follow these directions to install the keyboard.
          • If you don't have the paid app "Root Explorer," you can download the free app "ES File Explorer." Once you open "ES File Explorer," you will need to go into settings to set root access, mount file system, and change the home directory to "/"
            1. Download/Install the keyboard that you want to use from the market or Amazon Appstore
            2. Open your explorer app, and navigate to /data/app
            3. Locate the apk file for the keyboard that you just installed
              • Examples: com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk or com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk
            4. Long press on the apk file, and select "Move" or "Cut"
            5. Navigate to /system/app
              • If using Root Explorer, select "Mount R/W"
            6. Now select paste to move the apk file into the /system/app folder
            7. Exit your explorer app, and reboot the device
            8. After the device reboots, open the app "NookColor Tools"
            9. Select "Choose Keyboard" and select the keyboard that you just installed
              • If installing Swiftkey or Swype, you can now open the app to finish the install process

I did this mod from a request in another thread, LINK. It is a port of “revcompgeek’s” work under the Nook tablet section, HERE. The mod removes the QuickNav bar when you presss the n button, making it like a standard home button, and makes the back and menu buttons permanent.

I did not include it in the MN package because I am not sure how many people would want it, and it has not been tested long enough. Just simply flash the Statusbar_mod.zip file with CWM, it will take about 5 minutes to boot back up after flashing since it is a framework file. You will need to use the app “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a link to the “Shop” and “Library.” If you don’t like it, simply flash the Statusbar_stock.zip file to return to stock. If you flash a new version of MN 5 after applying the Statusbar_mod.zip, you will need to reapply the Statusbar_mod.zip file again to regain it.

*UPDATE*
    I noticed that "AnyCut" is currently missing from the market, and since the app was free in the market, I have attached it below.
    Yes, I have the unknown sources checked. I will look into the 1mobile.com for apps and will check into how to side load apps from another device. Thanks for all the help!

The problem that you are experiencing does not appear to have anything to do with the ManualNooter package, the problem is that the factory Nook Color software is running Froyo 2.2.1. As I said in the original post,
    "As of October 31 2013, the Nook Color with Froyo is dead in the water, as far as the Google Play store is concerned. Google updated to Google Play Services 4.0, and with it killed off the API support for Android 2.2 Froyo. That means that almost all apps being produced or updated since then will not support Froyo. If you look up Angry Birds on the Play Store website, you will see that the minimum system requirements are Android 2.3 and up."

What this mean is that all apps produced or updated after October 31, 2013 will not support android 2.2. Froyo. When you look up any app in the play store from a desktop computer, you will see under the "Additional information" tab that it requires Android "2.3 and up." As of March 2015, Froyo only accounts for 0.4% of all active android devices

When it comes to sideloading, this problem will not go away. Part of the installation process will be to check what version of Android you are running, and then won't install. If you were to find the old version of the apps, they would install, but the time to find the right older version might be a consuming process.

What options does this leave you with? You could install one of the versions of CyanogenMod that has the support. If you were to install CM7, you would end up with the minimum Android Gingerbread 2.3 to allow you to install most basic apps. Android Gingerbread 2.3, only makes up 6.9% of all active Android devices, so I can't imagine Android support to continue much more than a year for this version. CyanogenMod 9 would get you to Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. That version of Android only makes up 5.9% of all active devices, so I can't imagine Android supporting it much longer. By moving up to CyanogenMod 10, you will get Android Jelly Bean 4.1, this version makes up 42.6% of all Android devices, so you will get much longer support from Android, and will be able to install most all of the available apps in the play store.
    To GMPOWER:

BN has released the 1.4.2 for NookColor, do you have a new plan to update ManualNooter to support it ?

Both kernels, and packages, are 100% compatible with the 1.4.2 update, the OP has been changed to reflect this.

Here is a 1.4.2 update that can be flashed using CWM, it will keep CWM in place if you flash from internal. LINK
    I currently have CM7 installed internally. If I install this 1.4.2 rom through CWM, will my new stock nook color keep root? How can I be assured that I will not receive B&N updates? Thanks. And, if I do a OTA update block, does it have to be done immediately, does B&N shoot the updates asap?

If you have CWM installed on your device, it will install the stock 1.4.2 ROM to your device, and keep CWM on your device. To get root access of the stock 1.4.2 ROM, you will need to flash one of the MN packages using CWM. By having CWM installed on your device, it will keep the device from flashing OTA updates. Just to be safe, you can follow one of the block OTA update guides. Since this is the most up to date B&N firmware, you will have between now, and whenever they put out another update to block it.