2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER - OnePlus One

Search This thread

Salty Wagyu

May 28, 2011
England
Yup this phone is certainly one to keep an eye on, early reviews are positive! Amazed it's cheaper than the Nexus 5 (£229 for 16GB / £269 for 64GB) and has better specs too.

zen123

Mar 3, 2005
Seeing as Oneplus is created by ex Oppo employee and the 32gb Oppo Find 5 I used to own only had a 2gb partition for app storage, even the new Find 7 only has a 3gb partition, I will get the 64gb version only if the full 64gb is available for apps storage.

These small partitions for app storage are totally useless in that a lot of apps nowadays can be 1gb+ in size so a small 2 or 3gb partition will be filled up pretty quickly. As an example on my Galaxy Note 3 my total apps have taken up 3.7gb.

Otherwise, this phone sounds like near perfect device for me.

HushH

Dec 24, 2009
Yep, can't wait for this phone to be available. Seems to address all the things I was disappointed with in the new HTC One (M8) - primarily camera.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Certainly interesting! I wouldn't call it a flagship killer, though.

For me a device will never be the ultimate flagship if it lack a MicroSD slot. Especially if the phone is 16GB. Maybe the US has worldwide free 100Mbps WiFi for cloud and streaming, but the rest of us don't.

The only way in which it is a flagship killer is the unsustainably low price. Hence their ridiculous invite system.

You can either play the game with rabid forum fanboys in the hope of MAYBE being permitted to purchase this device, OR you can just to and buy the nearly identical Oppo Find 7a and have the device arrive within days.

If they'd priced it $100 higher they would've been able to have a sane ordering system. With their current business plan, the device is going to be vaporware for all but a small handful of users.

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
The only way in which it is a flagship killer is the unsustainably low price. Hence their ridiculous invite system.

You can either play the game with rabid forum fanboys in the hope of MAYBE being permitted to purchase this device, OR you can just to and buy the nearly identical Oppo Find 7a and have the device arrive within days.

If they'd priced it $100 higher they would've been able to have a sane ordering system. With their current business plan, the device is going to be vaporware for all but a small handful of users.

Maybe true, but if we all start to share invitations over here as well (as we already do), at least we can get one. Also, I do think there will be a point where they'll open up the store for everyone, so doing that for the lower price is fine with me.

osi13

Jun 25, 2010

For me a device will never be the ultimate flagship if it lack a MicroSD slot. Especially if the phone is 16GB. Maybe the US has worldwide free 100Mbps WiFi for cloud and streaming, but the rest of us don't.

Maybe the US has worldwide free 100Mbps WiFi
I'm not really sure what this means.

I don't think I could fill up 60GB of usable if I tried. Although, my video/music collection is in the terabyte range. I don't need all of my music (not even a quarter of it), and I think I've watched an .mkv on my phone once.

I've been happy with 16GB (12.6GB usable). All of my music (via Subsonic, or Google Music all access)can be cached whatever I want on WiFi. I don't come close to hitting my 2.5GB limit of LTE on Net 10 or 3GB on Simple Mobile. My internet connection is also metered at home (300GB) and I've never been close to hitting that.

I didn't even have a microSD in my S4, and that was my last device with the option.

setspeed

May 4, 2009
Seeing as Oneplus is created by ex Oppo employee and the 32gb Oppo Find 5 I used to own only had a 2gb partition for app storage, even the new Find 7 only has a 3gb partition, I will get the 64gb version only if the full 64gb is available for apps storage.

These small partitions for app storage are totally useless in that a lot of apps nowadays can be 1gb+ in size so a small 2 or 3gb partition will be filled up pretty quickly. As an example on my Galaxy Note 3 my total apps have taken up 3.7gb.

Very good point, I didn't know that about the Oppo phones. I'll definitely be looking out for that before I buy (assuming I'm lucky enough to get invited) since I have 5GB of apps installed on my N5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xenix96

brunes

Dec 9, 2006

With the latest KitKat changes the usefulness of the MicroSD slot is quite limited and according to both Google and Koush it is likely to be more of a second class citizen as time goes on. And the One has 64GB models for dirt cheap so I don't see this as much of an issue. There is no way I need more than 64GB.

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
64gb internal is great especially since it'll be running at maximum performance. S5 has only a 16gb option and formatted it's 12 then TouchWiz brings it down to around 8gb. What SD would you put in there? 64gig would be the best since 128gb is expensive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh man, so much ignorance. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to address this post and it is going to be a long reply.

I honestly wouldn't know what the size of.. is that a quarter? is. :confused:

I don't see why I should have to pay extra for something other, both more expensive and cheaper, bigger and smaller phones have by default.

And that brings me to "Why should I have to carry an additional device when I could just as well store it inside the phone in a tiny slot that costs nothing to add?" It's a hole, why should I pay more for less device? :confused:

Then clearly your use case does not match this phone and you should focus on phones that do meet your use case instead of whining to the rest of us about how we're all wrong for not using our phones like you do.

Believe me, I'm not the exception. I've a fair bit of insight into mobile sales, and having an expandable memory is still one of the main selling points of a great many well-selling smartphones. (All of Samung's Galaxy Note & S line, for one). (Admittedly, there are also a great many people too stupid to even know the difference between an SDcard and a SIMcard... "Can I store my apps on my SIMcard?" /facepalm)

No, you are still an exception. There are a lot of you who are exceptions only because there are a lot of Galaxy devices in the world. The SD card and removable battery is only a selling point to techies and people like you who frequent XDA. I have yet to ever meet anyone who owns and of the Galaxy phones who carries around spare batteries or jammed in a giant SD card. I see the phones every where, but not one single example of anyone changing the battery.

On an average day, I get about 25 people asking me "Can I put more GB in it for my music?" In a country with 17 million people, that's a lot for one shop. Why do you think the Nexus devices aren't selling as much as the S4 and S5? Can't be the price. Even if you take away the marketing part of the sales. People don't want a device they can't expand.

The iPhone sells HUGE numbers all around the world as well, and has never had a removable battery or SD card, therefore your anecdote and your claims about why Samsung sales are so high are not with merit. Because if they were, I could turn around and infer that people buy iPhones because they DON'T have removable storage or batteries, but that wouldn't make an ounce of sense, would it? No, it wouldn't. You like the idea of SD storage and a removable battery, you see other comments on tech sites who also like them, therefore you have come to the conclusion that they are a "standard".

Even if not for videos and music, how are you going to store photo's taken with a 16MP camera on a 16GB phone? Particularly one that has only 4-9GB available for use? Do you simply not have apps?

...do you even know how many pictures you can fit on 4-9GB? 8GB of storage at a 16MP resolution with full 100% quality JPEG compression is enough to store ~1,430 pictures (more or less depending on the content in the image). Are you telling me that you'll take more pictures than that between the times where you remove images from your device or you let them cloud upload and then clean them up? It is the norm to use cloud upload and it is the norm to take pictures only for temporary use such as social network sites and then just remove them (most people stop caring about their images unless they are of kids, private events, special occasions, or otherwise, because if they're worth sharing they're already either printed/framed or they're on a social network).

Normal Android users do not use hundreds of apps at a time. Forget games with their multi-gigabyte additional files; the average Android app (non-game) APK is roughly 7-12MB. If you simultaneously had 100 applications installed (which in itself is utterly bonkers and at the point where you can't remember what apps you have installed), that's 1.2GB of apps, call it 1.5GB of apps after they generate their various data files on storage. Still leaves plenty of space for music, podcasts, and video content.

Not everyone has the data package or the signal strength to sync photos to cloud all the time. Try doing that on the, over here very common, 250MB data package. That's what, 15 photo's? We don't have unlimited data packages, and 3G isn't exactly covering more than 60% of the country. Plus we have borders every 200-500km! Do you lot realize what roaming costs? 2 euro per MB (Why do you think the HTC One has such a crappy low-megapixel camera? (and the iPhone))

...I have unlimited data, but I only let my images upload over Wifi because I want my bandwidth for my mobile use. Who uses their mobile data for camera upload!? That is a ridiculous idea.

The fact that you said the HTC One has a "such a crappy low-megapixel camera" and that you think the reason it has a "crappy low megapixel camera" is because of your country's terrible 3G coverage clearly tells all of us that you quite literally have no clue what you are talking about. . HTC did not build a phone that caters to your country's mobile infrastructure, and the idea that you think that it is shows either a level of fanaticism or just plain foolishness.

Not to mention, take the 4K filming... 4K recording with only 9GB internal storage free? Good luck with that!

Again, you have no idea how video formats, containers, codecs, or compression works either. Using the current most popular 4K video compression, a minute of 4K video is roughly 350MB in side. It is HIGHLY doubtful that anyone would be recording a very long scene using a smartphone camera, much less doing it in 4K. Mobile video capture has always been for very short clips, because people taking the video don't have the patience to record for longer than a minute or two minutes, and people watching don't have the patience to sit through more than one or two minutes of amateur home video anyway. Would you honestly watch more than 3 minutes of someone's smartphone-recorded video? I mean, really?

But you know, reality...and stuff.

I know how KitKat 'breaks' the SDcard. Except that it really doesn't.
    :mad: Something you are actually correct about! You're right. KitKat did not "break" the SD card. The Android Open Source Project stopped any type of official support for exandable FAT32/exFAT based storage as of 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Every single implementation since then for external storage has been third-party. There are numerous reasons for this, and it's not all just about everyone's conspiracy that they want you to use their cloud services. Having a filesystem which uses FAT requires licensing from Microsoft, and is a security concern or a myriad of reasons. I suggest you read more into why KitKat specifically started to prevent apps from modifying data on a FAT-formatted SD card.

Even if you're not rooted, most big apps have long since been altered to use the SDcard again.

And none of them (not even Google Play Music) use any sort of official implementation from Google to do so. It's all hacked together, and it always will be.

That is of course completely ignoring the fact that the OnePlus comes with Cyanogenmod, rendering the whole 'rootaccess' point entirely irrelevant.

Oh look, more ignorance, although in this case, it's forgivable. You can almost be guaranteed that CyangoenMod on the One will NOT include root access out of the box, because then their build of Android would not pass Google's Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) which it requires any Google-Apps partner to run. If you want root, you will have to go through a process of getting it (official process, yes, but again, not out of the box).

Look, some things you say may be valid for you, but you're extrapolating far too much and in some cases you're really not thinking your ideas through. You lack a lot of empirical evidence to support your empirical claims and easily Google-able facts concerning things like video compression and Android security issues are not outside of your grasp but you don't include them either.

Simply put, you believe you are right about your opinions simply because you want them to be right and you find yourself surrounded by other (particularly Galaxy users) who always want to be right. But Google is not stupid, they know what they are doing. Before getting outraged, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and research before coming to a conclusion.
    I honestly wouldn't know what the size of.. is that a quarter? is. :confused:

I don't see why I should have to pay extra for something other, both more expensive and cheaper, bigger and smaller phones have by default.

And that brings me to "Why should I have to carry an additional device when I could just as well store it inside the phone in a tiny slot that costs nothing to add?" It's a hole, why should I pay more for less device? :confused:

Believe me, I'm not the exception. I've a fair bit of insight into mobile sales, and having an expandable memory is still one of the main selling points of a great many well-selling smartphones. (All of Samung's Galaxy Note & S line, for one). (Admittedly, there are also a great many people too stupid to even know the difference between an SDcard and a SIMcard... "Can I store my apps on my SIMcard?" /facepalm)

On an average day, I get about 25 people asking me "Can I put more GB in it for my music?" In a country with 17 million people, that's a lot for one shop. Why do you think the Nexus devices aren't selling as much as the S4 and S5? Can't be the price. Even if you take away the marketing part of the sales. People don't want a device they can't expand.

Even if not for videos and music, how are you going to store photo's taken with a 16MP camera on a 16GB phone? Particularly one that has only 4-9GB available for use? Do you simply not have apps?

Not everyone has the data package or the signal strength to sync photos to cloud all the time. Try doing that on the, over here very common, 250MB data package. That's what, 15 photo's? We don't have unlimited data packages, and 3G isn't exactly covering more than 60% of the country. Plus we have borders every 200-500km! Do you lot realize what roaming costs? 2 euro per MB (Why do you think the HTC One has such a crappy low-megapixel camera? (and the iPhone))

Not to mention, take the 4K filming... 4K recording with only 9GB internal storage free? Good luck with that!

I know how KitKat 'breaks' the SDcard. Except that it really doesn't. Even if you're not rooted, most big apps have long since been altered to use the SDcard again.
    That is of course completely ignoring the fact that the OnePlus comes with Cyanogenmod, rendering the whole 'rootaccess' point entirely irrelevant.

Wow - if I just had more time, there would be so much stuff to respond, but some guys already did anyway. Just 2 short comments:

1. IF I want to buy a station wagon because I need the storage space, I would not go to the local Porsche dealer and complain about the fact, that a Porsche does not have enough space. I go to a dealer who offers a car for MY NEEDS and buy it there.

2. Nexus vs Samsung success - compare distribution (POS) and marketing funds and you have the main answer. It is no coincidence that the 2 companies with the largest distribution and marketing dollars spend enjoy the biggest success (Apple, Samsung) and this with a 100% contradictory SD card concept!

3. Sure there are good reasons for many users still using an SD Card and I´m fine with that, BUT don`t forget there is also the other side of the medal. Since you aren`t a developer you surely don`t spend a lot of time on developer.android.com, but here are just some reasons, why using a SD can be troublesome both for devs and users after unmounting and mounting an SD (and there are even more...)

Services

Your running Service will be killed and will not be restarted when external storage is remounted. You can, however, register for the ACTION_EXTERNAL_APPLICATIONS_AVAILABLE broadcast Intent, which will notify your application when applications installed on external storage have become available to the system again. At which time, you can restart your Service.

Alarm Services

Your alarms registered with AlarmManager will be cancelled. You must manually re-register any alarms when external storage is remounted.

Input Method Engines

Your IME will be replaced by the default IME. When external storage is remounted, the user can open system settings to enable your IME again.

Live Wallpapers

Your running Live Wallpaper will be replaced by the default Live Wallpaper. When external storage is remounted, the user can select your Live Wallpaper again.

App Widgets

Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot).

Account Managers

Your accounts created with AccountManager will disappear until external storage is remounted.

Sync Adapters

Your AbstractThreadedSyncAdapter and all its sync functionality will not work until external storage is remounted.

Device Administrators

Your DeviceAdminReceiver and all its admin capabilities will be disabled, which can have unforeseeable consequences for the device functionality, which may persist after external storage is remounted.

Broadcast Receivers listening for "boot completed"

The system delivers the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast before the external storage is mounted to the device. If your application is
    installed on the external storage, it can never receive this broadcast.

Very good point, I didn't know that about the Oppo phones. I'll definitely be looking out for that before I buy (assuming I'm lucky enough to get invited) since I have 5GB of apps installed on my N5.

cant wait to sell my n5 and get my hands on this beauty
    Geez those import fees are crazy! The S5 has like 8gb of usable space so I can only imagine someone trying to use it without an SD card lol. 64gb is like a sweet spot for devices without expandable storage though. Like I said you are the exception because you actually really use all that space and even more. The SD card slot isn't that big of an issue when a phone comes with 64gb though. The Oneplus One if you're planning on getting it, will be available to you in 64gb. They will be shipped from within the EU to avoid extra taxes and fees. 400euro for a phone with all these specs is pretty awesome! The 128gb Microsd card is really expensive though. You could get about 3 64gb Microsd cards for the price of one. The "many" people wanting an SD card slot are actually a minority in the smartphone market. We're just more vocal since we're on tech sites and such. If you had all the users on XDA state they wanted SD card slots we would still be somewhat a minority lol.

That they are. I once ordered a T-Shirt from Jinx (US company). The T-shirt was €20, I had to pay €80 import costs. :eek: First and last time I ever did that.... Plus they don't ship Lithium-Ion batteries inside devices anymore. Which is a little inconvenient without a removable battery.

I am actually considering getting it. I do believe I said that in my first post... :p

The people here are a minority, yes. But I do actually have insight into a fair bit of market information, and particularly Samsung is very, very aware of the popularity of MicroSD slots. It's why they're still available on all their devices, even with the possibility of reduced costs by removing it.

Were you aware they gave out an 8GB MicroSD free to everyone who bought an S5 on the release? I was there (on behalf of T-Mobile and Samsung.) The queue of people coming in to claim their MicroSD was ridiculously long. And they all inserted them straight away.

People here on XDA often seem to forget 99% of the market is not very good at efficient space management. (I'm putting that nicely.) They don't want to have to hook their device up to a pc every other day to move or backup all the snapshots they took to share with friends because their memory is full. They dont'lower the camera setting to free up space. They don't delete an app straight away if they don't use it. And they don't clean out their device. Ever.

Actually a bit more than 3. Saturn Germany ran a discount last weekend. One 64GB Sandisk MicroSDXC Ultra + Adapter for €35.00 (taxes included.) Needless to say, I bought 6. ;) (They had a stack of 600 on first order. It ran dry within the first hour.)