Connect ANY 3G dongle to ANY android tablet...

Search This thread

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Sorry i didnt notice the ppp widget thing.
It may be otg problem, otherwise why would ppp widget failed suddenly at the first place. i suggest u to replace the cable and try again.

Failed too.
Just tried another cable with same results.
My modem doesn't appear in list.
I think it's something to do modem drivers or other ttyUSB settings.
Could you help me checking a few things, to make sure that USB has right configuration.
Maybe this dev folder that is empty is creating the problem?

Unleashed by my rooted Nexus 4

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2008
I have found a way to connect any modem to the tablet even if the tablet does not recognizes it. your device must be ROOTED to do so. I am not a developer, i just found out somewhere and modified the instructions to make it easy. i am not responsible to any thing that happens to your device (however this method isn't risky at all):cool:.

Just follow the instructions and enjoy. First download the attachment...

. First you need to move the modem to "modem only" for this you will need a terminal, you can use Hyper Terminal on windows.
Google search for AT commands for your modem to make it modem only mode and how to do that.

All right .... transferred the modem to the modem-only mode ....

Then note the vid and pid of your modem. one way to do this is to connect the modem to computer then go to device manager, expand modems, right click your modem >properties>details.

2. Next we need ES File Explorer

Install it on your tablet ... Open, go to settings -> Root rights, and tick all checkboxes.

3. Then go to /system/bin/preinstall.sh on your tablet and add a line to the file using es file explorer echo "19d2 1176" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id (see my preinstall.sh in the archive).

here 19d2 is my modem (vodafone K3370-z) vid and 1176 the pid. replace the vid and pid with your own.

REEBOT YOUR TABLET

4.There is a folder peers in the archive you downloaded. open conf-chat in the folder with es file explorer and replace your apn here with the apn of your service provider .

When the tablet does not recognize the modem it will not generate ttyUSB files which are needed to communicate with the modem. In Step 3 you made the tablet to recognize the modem and it now generates the ttyUSB files. You can check that in Terminal emulator(download from play store) by typing "dmesg" command(without qoutes). scroll the output down, you will see the generated ttyUSB ports as given in attached screenshot Pic1. It also gives the number of ports genetated. If you see these lines you can Connect your modem to Internet. But wait a minute you have additional things to do in order to get connected.

Now you need to find which port is pppd port because we need it to insert in the file Conf-pppd in peers folder of the archive you downloaded. (open the conf-pppd using wordpad you would see ttyUSB1 on the top because pppd port of my modem is 1, those modems who has pppd port at 1 would be able to connect without any modifications, if the pppd port of your modem is not 1 you would have to edit it e.g if the pppd port of your modem is 2, the top line in conf-pppd would look like ttyUSB2 and so on)

To determine which is pppd port follow the below steps...(see the attached screenshots)

Open 2 windows in terminal emulator. (you can copy paste the commands in terminal emulator)

(1) In first window type busybox tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSBx (Pic2)
where x is the first port generated by your modem.(this command opens the port)

(2) Now in window 2 type echo -e "ATi\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx (pic3)
Here x is the same you typed in window 1.
You would see OK in WINDOW 1(Not in window 2). IF YOU DONT SEE ANY OUTPUT IN WINDOW 1(pic4), YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG YOUR MODEM AND PLUG IT AGAIN AND THEN USE NEXT PORT. yOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU DONT SEE ANY OUTPUT. IF YOU DO SEE AN OUTPUT PROCEED TO NEXT STEP.(pic 5, 6, and 7)

(3) Again type echo -e "AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\",\"www\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx in window 2. (Pic8)
Here replace www with your apn
You will see the OK again in window 1.(pic9)

(4) Again type echo -e "ATDT*99#\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx in WINDOW 2(pic10)
You will See the output in window 1. if you see ERROR in window 1, then it is your AT port not PPPD port. Unplug your modem and try next port untill you get CONNECT message in window 1(pic11). If you get Connect Message the at any port then it is your pppd port. IF you get these messages at port 2, then replace 1 in ttyUSB with 2, ehich then reads ttyUSB2 at the top of conf-pppd file.

Now copy the folder Peers in /etc/ppp/ in your sd card.

Install the application GScript_Mod.apk lies just in the archive .... open it and add the two scripts in the folder gscript of your sdcard : inet-ON.sh (Which brings up connection) and inet-OFF.sh (which disables the connection)

5. REBOOT TABLET. insert the modem. Start the application Gscript and run inet-ON.sh(pic12)

If you do everything on the instructions, your modem will connect to the Internet, although you will not see the 3G connection on the tablet...(pic13)

Thanks for reading..

I have Samsung Galaxy Note phone, can i use this method to run Internet from Tata Docomo dongle on it.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Failed too.
Just tried another cable with same results.
My modem doesn't appear in list.
I think it's something to do modem drivers or other ttyUSB settings.
Could you help me checking a few things, to make sure that USB has right configuration.
Maybe this dev folder that is empty is creating the problem?

Unleashed by my rooted Nexus 4

Concerning this matter,
Are you willing to provide any more support? Cause actually except the test with another cable, I have no clue what else to check to find the problem.
I can't figure out if it's the tablet or the stick E173 that is creating the problem.

Unleashed from N101T at 3.2.1 Rom

Bhaskar1109

Jan 31, 2013
Concerning this matter,
Are you willing to provide any more support? Cause actually except the test with another cable, I have no clue what else to check to find the problem.
I can't figure out if it's the tablet or the stick E173 that is creating the problem.

Sorry, i was busy with other issues and so i had lack of time.
btw as i said earlier, i am not a developer(at least now) and i couldn,t be of much help. Faulty devices or devices with multiple active modes cause these types of problems. Does your modem works fine on PC? Have you disabled zero cd of your modem?

Last edited:

Bhaskar1109

Jan 31, 2013
I installed Gscript apk from your download link from your thread. I put that two script under sdcard/"another folder"/gscript. I opened gscript application and it says "process.android.com(alike this) stop working". What happened to my tablet. Im using micromax funbook p300. Is there is any way or the other to let it work ?

If this happens before running the script, download Gscript app from play store and check. If this happens after running the script, ignore this. You are already connected.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Sorry, i was busy with other issues and so i had lack of time.
btw as i said earlier, i am not a developer(at least now) and i couldn,t be of much help? Does your modem works fine on PC? Have you disabled zero cd of your modem?

Its only in modem mode.
Can you confirm if in /dev folder should I have any particular files? Cause now is empty.

siraci

Apr 18, 2013
Skype issue

Hi there,

as I already wrote I am very happy of this solution, it has changed my cheap Coby (MID8042) into another tablet.
I have only one issue, when I start the key's connection I am able to use the internet connection (ping, mail client, internet browser), but if I try to start Skype I get an info message that alerts there isn't any connection and addresses me to the system connection utility.
Does anybody have idea what could be the reason and or has an advice to fix it.

Stefano

Bhaskar1109

Jan 31, 2013
Hi there,

as I already wrote I am very happy of this solution, it has changed my cheap Coby (MID8042) into another tablet.
I have only one issue, when I start the key's connection I am able to use the internet connection (ping, mail client, internet browser), but if I try to start Skype I get an info message that alerts there isn't any connection and addresses me to the system connection utility.
Does anybody have idea what could be the reason and or has an advice to fix it.

Stefano

it is a known issue: some applications will not wok. You can browse internet with all browsers but of all the browsers i have tried, only UC browser and opera mini is able to download anything.

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
How can i copy it..it is already in use and cant be copied.

What do you mean you can't copy them?
All files can be copied even these that are used. Only deleting them should create a problem, but this is not the case here.
Can you tell me what message do you get when you try to copy them?

yubi007

Nov 20, 2012
help

hi Bhaskar1109,,

im just try you tutorial but i got confused in preinstall.sh
coz in my HH there's no preinstall.sh so i just copy yours to /system/bin

and i replace yours vid & pid with my modem VID 1C9E PID 9800 (thats mine) so in the end of line like this

echo "1C9E 9800" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

and then i restart my HH but when i try dmesg i got

View attachment Screenshot_2013-05-28-16-20-04.rar

Screenshot_2013-05-28-16-20-04.jpg

can you help me

my HH is wondermedia 7
my modem Speedup 9800

thanks in andvance :good:

Last edited:

ffxx68

Feb 8, 2011
Hi,

first of all thanks so much for the great tip about using tr + echo to communicate with the modem.

I have an issue with my modem though.

It's an USB-on-minipci ZTE MF 210, plugged into a JB / 2.6.35 kernel tablet (Open Source project here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/renesas-emev-osp).

When powered up, the ttyUSB0-3 ports are shown up:

Code:
<6>usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using emxx-ehci-driver and address 5
<6>option 1-1.1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
<6>option 1-1.1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
<6>option 1-1.1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
<6>option 1-1.1:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB3

Only 1 and 3 seem like responding to AT commands. On both 1 and 3 I get the same results

On console 1 I type:

Code:
busybox tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSB1

Then on console 2 I type:

Code:
echo -e "ATi\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1

As a response, on console 1 I get:

Code:
ATi
Manufacturer: 
Model: MF210
Revision: BD_P678A1V1.0.2B09
IMEI: 352037031361039
+GCAP: +CGSM,+FCLASS,+DS
OK
ATi
Manufacturer: 
Model: MF210
Revision: BD_P678A1V1.0.2B09
IMEI: 352037031361039
+GCAP: +CGSM,+FCLASS,+DS
OK

As seen, I get the 'ATi' command output twice. Sometimes even more than twice.
Sometimes some extra (or missing) characters are found as well. E.g. entering 'echo -e "ATZ\r" > /dev/ttyUSB1' I get:

Code:
aaATZ
OK
aATZ
OK
aATZ
OK

Seems to me like a serial timing error ... or something similar. Could it be? How to debug, if so?

Kernel is built using the standard USB-serial modem options:

Code:
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_WWAN=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OPTION=y

Is the kernel missing anything, or requiring some special ZTE-specific customizations, in your opinion?

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Anyway I solved permanently the connection problem without any scripts.

Just bought a cheap 3g WiFi router on which I attach my 3g dongle and now I can connect wireless not only my tablet but also as many devices as I like.

42154_1358162060.jpg

Devarishi

Jun 18, 2012
Imphal
Yes you are right finally done

If this happens before running the script, download Gscript app from play store and check. If this happens after running the script, ignore this. You are already connected.

yes i had done its ok. But one question i need to ask you. When i connect it successfully my dongle to tab it got freezes. When i use aircel sim in huawei 173 it freezes after some minutes of browsing. My tab screen goes blank white. So i used to reset it . But idea sim is working fine. Do you have any clues to this problem? How can you solved this brother? Replies appreciated. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have found a way to connect any modem to the tablet even if the tablet does not recognizes it. your device must be ROOTED to do so. I am not a developer, i just found out somewhere and modified the instructions to make it easy. i am not responsible to any thing that happens to your device (however this method isn't risky at all):cool:.

Just follow the instructions and enjoy. First download the attachment...

. First you need to move the modem to "modem only" for this you will need a terminal, you can use Hyper Terminal on windows.
    Google search for AT commands for your modem to make it modem only mode and how to do that.

All right .... transferred the modem to the modem-only mode ....

Then note the vid and pid of your modem. one way to do this is to connect the modem to computer then go to device manager, expand modems, right click your modem >properties>details.

2. Next we need ES File Explorer

Install it on your tablet ... Open, go to settings -> Root rights, and tick all checkboxes.

3. Then go to /system/bin/preinstall.sh on your tablet and add a line to the file using es file explorer echo "19d2 1176" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id (see my preinstall.sh in the archive).

here 19d2 is my modem (vodafone K3370-z) vid and 1176 the pid. replace the vid and pid with your own.

REEBOT YOUR TABLET

4.There is a folder peers in the archive you downloaded. open conf-chat in the folder with es file explorer and replace your apn here with the apn of your service provider .

When the tablet does not recognize the modem it will not generate ttyUSB files which are needed to communicate with the modem. In Step 3 you made the tablet to recognize the modem and it now generates the ttyUSB files. You can check that in Terminal emulator(download from play store) by typing "dmesg" command(without qoutes). scroll the output down, you will see the generated ttyUSB ports as given in attached screenshot Pic1. It also gives the number of ports genetated. If you see these lines you can Connect your modem to Internet. But wait a minute you have additional things to do in order to get connected.

Now you need to find which port is pppd port because we need it to insert in the file Conf-pppd in peers folder of the archive you downloaded. (open the conf-pppd using wordpad you would see ttyUSB1 on the top because pppd port of my modem is 1, those modems who has pppd port at 1 would be able to connect without any modifications, if the pppd port of your modem is not 1 you would have to edit it e.g if the pppd port of your modem is 2, the top line in conf-pppd would look like ttyUSB2 and so on)

To determine which is pppd port follow the below steps...(see the attached screenshots)

Open 2 windows in terminal emulator. (you can copy paste the commands in terminal emulator)

(1) In first window type busybox tr -s "\n" < /dev/ttyUSBx (Pic2)
    where x is the first port generated by your modem.(this command opens the port)

(2) Now in window 2 type echo -e "ATi\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx (pic3)
    Here x is the same you typed in window 1.
    You would see OK in WINDOW 1(Not in window 2). IF YOU DONT SEE ANY OUTPUT IN WINDOW 1(pic4), YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG YOUR MODEM AND PLUG IT AGAIN AND THEN USE NEXT PORT. yOU HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU DONT SEE ANY OUTPUT. IF YOU DO SEE AN OUTPUT PROCEED TO NEXT STEP.(pic 5, 6, and 7)

(3) Again type echo -e "AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\",\"www\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx in window 2. (Pic8)
    Here replace www with your apn
    You will see the OK again in window 1.(pic9)

(4) Again type echo -e "ATDT*99#\r" > /dev/ttyUSBx in WINDOW 2(pic10)
    You will See the output in window 1. if you see ERROR in window 1, then it is your AT port not PPPD port. Unplug your modem and try next port untill you get CONNECT message in window 1(pic11). If you get Connect Message the at any port then it is your pppd port. IF you get these messages at port 2, then replace 1 in ttyUSB with 2, ehich then reads ttyUSB2 at the top of conf-pppd file.

Now copy the folder Peers in /etc/ppp/ in your sd card.

Install the application GScript_Mod.apk lies just in the archive .... open it and add the two scripts in the folder gscript of your sdcard : inet-ON.sh (Which brings up connection) and inet-OFF.sh (which disables the connection)

5. REBOOT TABLET. insert the modem. Start the application Gscript and run inet-ON.sh(pic12)

If you do everything on the instructions, your modem will connect to the Internet, although you will not see the 3G connection on the tablet...(pic13)

Thanks for reading..
    Micromax 310G..

Dear Bhaskar1109,

Kindly tell me how to use Hyper Terminal and make it a modem only mode. I have Micromax 310G modem with aircel connection and Micromax Funbook Infinity P275. I am unable to connect my modem as it says damaged sd card.

Thank You for your wonderful guide.

Select COM port in HyperTerminal and try AT Commands.. i know AT commands to disable Emulated CDROM for few modems. Try it otherwise google commands for your modem

Huawei AT^U2DIAG=x command to control emulated CD-ROM and Micro-SD card
    values of <x>:
    0: disable CD-ROM and Micro-SD
    1: enable CD-ROM only
    255: enable CD-ROM and Micro-SD
    256: enable Micro-SD only

ZTE AT+ZCDRUN=x command to control emulated CD-ROM and Micro-SD card
    values of <x>:
    8: disable autorun (modem appears when plugged in)
    9: enable autorun (only CD-ROM appears when plugged in)
    E: enable download mode (CD-ROM does not appear when plugged in)
    F: disable download mode (CD-ROM appears when plugged in)

ZTE(ICERA chipsets) AT%USBMODEM?: to check the actual state

AT%USBMODEM=x command to control emulated CD-ROM and Micro-SD card
    values of <x>
    0: modem only mode
    1: modem + CD-ROM + microSD
    d link DWM-156 A7 3g modem

hi my friend .
    i have D-link DWM-156 A7 3g modem , i searched in the internet about this model AT command . but i can't found .
    do you know AT command about this model ?
    thanks .