[VIDEOS] How to Root, Recovery, unlock, flash & much more

Search This thread

tony056

May 30, 2013
I'm sorry I have a quick question I hope I'm not out of line asking anything. I'm new with rooting and such. I'm trying to put a new ROM on my phone. My phone is rooted and had cynogenmod 10.0 ROM on it. How would I take that off and put on a new ROM so I can change my ROM at anytime?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

Tomsgt

How did you but cm10.0 on your phone in the first place? Do you have a custom recovery installed? Do you know what a custom recovery is and how to us it? Watch some of my videos so that you can start to understand how to do these things.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tony056

tony056

May 30, 2013
Like I said still getting into the swing of things. I think it's 10.0 I'm not sure. I'm still waiting on 10.1 to come out which is 4.2.2 I have 4.2.1. But thank you for the help though I appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

posaune76

Sep 25, 2012
Peoria, IL
If I create a nandroid with one recovery, can I restore it with another? For example, if I backed something up with TWRP and then changed to CWM on the recommendation of a dev in his ROM's OP ("install this with CWM," etc.) and don't feel like switching back to TWRP, could I restore from the TWRP nandroid with CWM?

If I put this in the wrong thread, I'm sorry; seemed like a noob flashing/recovery question.

Tomsgt

If I create a nandroid with one recovery, can I restore it with another? For example, if I backed something up with TWRP and then changed to CWM on the recommendation of a dev in his ROM's OP ("install this with CWM," etc.) and don't feel like switching back to TWRP, could I restore from the TWRP nandroid with CWM?

If I put this in the wrong thread, I'm sorry; seemed like a noob flashing/recovery question.

No you can not restore a nandroid from twrp in cwm recovery. Both Recovery's use different methods to back up the phone. Note twrp is a much better recovery then cwm and any ROM can be installed in either recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: posaune76

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
Great thread. I'm helping my step-brother root his VZW GS3 this coming weekend and your video on rooting and unlocking the bootloader is going to be very helpful. I do have one question, however: the last thing you flashed via Odin, to "restore the boot chain," what exactly does that do, and is it necessary if we're going to put a ROM (AOKP) on the phone right away? I've got experience rooting and flashing (Glacier, T-989, and N4) but never with this sort of locked bootloader, so I'm trying to figure this out before I mess up my boy's phone. Thanks.

Tomsgt

Great thread. I'm helping my step-brother root his VZW GS3 this coming weekend and your video on rooting and unlocking the bootloader is going to be very helpful. I do have one question, however: the last thing you flashed via Odin, to "restore the boot chain," what exactly does that do, and is it necessary if we're going to put a ROM (AOKP) on the phone right away? I've got experience rooting and flashing (Glacier, T-989, and N4) but never with this sort of locked bootloader, so I'm trying to figure this out before I mess up my boy's phone. Thanks.

No you dont have to flash the boot chain at the end you can just leave it alone

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
Alright, last question (I swear). I've been looking and can't seem to find the files you use in the video. Your website has the Odin download, but I can't find the TWRP.Tar.md5 and the VRALECbootchain.tar.md5 or the SuperSU_bootloader_fixed.zip that you flash via TWRP. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I'd much rather use this method than a toolkit, which is less in my control. Thanks.

Juice3250

Why do you think some people are ending up bricking their devices using the casual method? Assuming I have all of the drivers installed correctly, which I do, and the download isn't corrupt, what could I possibly do that would brick my device using casual.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tomsgt

Alright, last question (I swear). I've been looking and can't seem to find the files you use in the video. Your website has the Odin download, but I can't find the TWRP.Tar.md5 and the VRALECbootchain.tar.md5 or the SuperSU_bootloader_fixed.zip that you flash via TWRP. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. I'd much rather use this method than a toolkit, which is less in my control. Thanks.
In the video there is a link to XDA the files can be downloaded from there

Reactions: JaylanPHNX

Tomsgt

Why do you think some people are ending up bricking their devices using the casual method? Assuming I have all of the drivers installed correctly, which I do, and the download isn't corrupt, what could I possibly do that would brick my device using casual.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

unplug the cable in the middle of a flash, loose power at your house i the middle of a flash. not know what it is that the odin tool does and thus messing something up. clicking the wrong button because you didnt read all the directions there is lots that can go wrong. but the android community is really good about helping each other out as long as you ask nice and have good questions.

Top Liked Posts