MHL Adapter Question

Search This thread
J

JohnM

When using the MHL adapter, is the whole screen mirrored or is it just some apps like gallery/youtube?

Also, does Cyanogenmod (AOSP) work with it?

zdalin2003

Dec 6, 2007
London, ON
Yup, it does full mirroring, so you can play games as well :D

The bad part is that i got the ikross mhl adapter and it seems to be defective or smth, cause it keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason (even if i don't touch it).

My question is which mhl adapter is worth buying? I'd really like one i could use while moving the phone. Should i just go with the original one from htc? but that's a bit expensive. Any suggestions?

ILRider

Sep 26, 2007
Illinois
Got my MHL for $15.73 shipped from Monoprice. Been using it everyday since the day I got it to stream netflix and other TV/movie sites from my 3D or off one of the flyers in my house. It's probably been in use for 60+ days straight for about 5-6 hours each day, maybe more... I don't have cable or satellite :D I'm actually thinking of ordering another one maybe two just in case this one breaks or gets lost.

P0ll0L0c0

Jun 6, 2008
The monoprice adapter works very well. I've had no connection problems - and I get a great picture depending on the app. Diceplayer works particularly well for putting out HD video.

The only possible drawback is that the monoprice adapter limits you to USB charging, not AC charging - when you use it. So if you're streaming while outputting to the TV, you'll still lose a small amount of phone battery.

On another thread specifically on the MHL adapter charging topic - no one confirmed whether the other chargers were registering AC charging or not. That might be the one advantage in getting another brand.

The monoprice adapter works very well. I've had no connection problems - and I get a great picture depending on the app. Diceplayer works particularly well for putting out HD video.

The only possible drawback is that the monoprice adapter limits you to USB charging, not AC charging - when you use it. So if you're streaming while outputting to the TV, you'll still lose a small amount of phone battery.

On another thread specifically on the MHL adapter charging topic - no one confirmed whether the other chargers were registering AC charging or not. That might be the one advantage in getting another brand.

I will test my T-Mobile MHL adaptor tonight to verify that it is ac charging. I do know that I gain battery life when streaming though, so I assume it is

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

P0ll0L0c0

Jun 6, 2008
I will test my T-Mobile MHL adaptor tonight to verify that it is ac charging. I do know that I gain battery life when streaming though, so I assume it is

Thanks - please do. People in the other thread assumed their phone was charging whether streaming or not - but couldn't confirm with testing values. I thought my phone was charging as well - until I installed a battery monitor and checked. After using many - Battery Monitor Widget appears to work the best on our phone.

If you could test your MHL adapter while streaming, and report back the charging rate reported - that would be a great help. Please report what radios you have on, I usually leave all of them on for testing purposes.

bagelicious

Sep 27, 2010
I'm very interested to see if any of these MHL adapters will charge while streaming, as well. I plan on this being my next accessory for the 3D but I don't want to get one that charges with half power.

Forgot to test out the other night. I'll try an get to it tonight before going to bed. Oh, I use Battery Monitor Widget Pro. Saw some one mentioning that app earlier, so you'll be able to relate fully. For radios, Wifi and Mobile Network are never turned off on my phone. That's how I'll be testing as I never have Bluetooth on when steaming movies, and only have GPS on when I'm using Navigation or an app that needs GPS. Obviously won't need GPS to stream a movie in my house...

Last edited:

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
got Monoprice MHL to charge last night while streaming

Took quite a bit of tinkering, but finally got positive charging (albeit not much) while streaming Battle of Midway from Netflix and the Wire from HBO GO last night. Using WTSB 1.9 rom and Monoprice MHL adapter.

What I had to do was:
-Airplane Mode;
-Turn on Wifi;
-Turn off account sync;
-Taskmanager to kill off everything but netflix;
-Use SetCPU to underclock to (648ishMHZ for netflix) or (900ishMHZ for HBO GO);
-Covedesign app to turn off button backlights;
-Covedesign app to go to backlight "blink" and disabled blink (like jumping rope) just at the right time for the backlight to stay off (may have to do this several times)(though this makes it damn hard to interact with phone unless you have bt mouse or keyboard - if not, may just want to turn brightness down as far as you can get);

My setup:
Evo3d streaming via wifi from iSpot 4G Clear device, outputting via MHL to optoma pk201 pico projector, with stock charger+usb, and audio via MHL/HDMI to pico projector.

Comment:
Netflix ROCKS (wonder why no stock landscape UI though)!!! Great streaming, no hiccups; HBO GO, on the other hand, (while AMAZING selection) constantly drops out to "Audio only stream, connect to stronger network or wifi for video", stutters, ... all kinds of crap and this is on a pretty regular 6mbps 4G Clear iSpot!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

BTW, anyone know of an app that lets you monitor your total mA usage live?
like a graphing app or anything?
There used to be a great one for WM6 that showed, for example 400milliamps with screen on, and 200milliamps with screen off and graphed it over time.

I keep getting pissed off with these phones; can anyone help me (I've been searching for years and can't find answers) mind you, I'm coming from the x51v wm6.5.3; PalmTX; Sammy Omnia...
-Why can't we turn off the backlight to the screen?
-Why can't we MANUALLY rotate to landscape or portrait? (I know you can manually engage or disengage the AUTOmatic rotation feature)
-(maybe this does exist) Why can't we get readings on how many mA we are using?
It just seems like the x51v from 2002 was so much more advanced and customizable, seems like we are re-creating the wheel over and over again.
Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: TX2000

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks - please do. People in the other thread assumed their phone was charging whether streaming or not - but couldn't confirm with testing values. I thought my phone was charging as well - until I installed a battery monitor and checked. After using many - Battery Monitor Widget appears to work the best on our phone.

If you could test your MHL adapter while streaming, and report back the charging rate reported - that would be a great help. Please report what radios you have on, I usually leave all of them on for testing purposes.

My MHL adapter mirrors everything and charges directly from the wall.

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
Ummm... Thanks? You provided exactly zero new information.

Except...I did. For this person:

I'm very interested to see if any of these MHL adapters will charge while streaming, as well. I plan on this being my next accessory for the 3D but I don't want to get one that charges with half power.

MHL Adapters are required to charge while being used, in fact, they only function if the charger is plugged in. That's part the spec, and I'd like to think I know quite a bit about MHL since I've done work and testing on the product for the company that created it, which is Silicon Image : http://www.siliconimage.com/products/family.aspx?id=10 . As for the quoted person, the adapter is not supposed to the the problem (unless you're getting a cheap knockoff one) but the power output of your charger can be an issue as well. The original Evo 3D charger outputs the proper power for the adapter to charge your phone properly. If you're using a cheap generic brand eBay MicroSD power cord, it will most likely not charge at the same output.

I've been using and testing these adapters before you ever knew about them. Is that enough information for you?

Went to a friends after work an just got home a little while ago. Battery is at 15% so instead of putting in a freshly charged battery, I'm going to test my T-Mobile MHL Adaptor for those interested. Hope to post results tonight, definitely going to test tonight though even if results aren't posted until the morning.

Impulses

May 19, 2010
Guaynabo
@LiquidSolstice What the heck's a "cheap generic brand eBay MicroSD power cord"? Did you mean microUSB? So much for your expertise... Dunno what you're going on about, but the MHL adapters could very well affect the current fed to the phone since it's literally going THRU them. Have you tested every single MHL adapter? Even if there's a spec they should conform to, it doesn't mean they all do, just like all chargers out there are not 1A chargers with properly shorted pins to deliver 1A.

The concerns you quoted and dismissed were valid, no need for that attitude. The USB cable used shouldn't really matter in the vast majority of cases, resistances introduced by even the thinnest retractable cables are pretty much negligible... I've actually tested that too. It really comes down to the charger, and possibly the MHL adapter that's in between. If mike hasn't posted his results with the T-Mo adapter tomorrow I'll test mine as I have the same one. Can't speak for the MP adapter as I don't have it, MP usually sells quality cables & adapters tho.

Last edited:

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
@LiquidSolstice What the heck's a "cheap generic brand eBay MicroSD power cord"? Did you mean microUSB? So much for your expertise... Dunno what you're going on about, but the MHL adapters could very well affect the current fed to the phone since it's literally going THRU them. Have you tested every single MHL adapter? Even if there's a spec they should conform to, it doesn't mean they all do, just like all chargers out there are not 1A chargers with properly shorted pins to deliver 1A.

The concerns you quoted were valid, no need for that attitude. If mike hasn't posted his results with the T-Mo adapter tomorrow I'll test mine as I have the same one. Can't speak for the MP adapter as I don't have it, MP usually sells quality cables & adapters tho.

So much for my expertise? Tell you what. Remove the MHL adapter out of the question. Try to charge the phone using a Samsung Moment power cord. It's all MicroUSB as you say.

It won't properly charge. Just because a power cord has a plug on one end a MicroUSB on another doesn't mean they're all equal. The point that I'm responding to is that unless you're buying a knockoff MHL adapter (or a really, really cheap one) the spec specifies that they all charge from both USB and AC, and that there is enough power to properly charge the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    got Monoprice MHL to charge last night while streaming

Took quite a bit of tinkering, but finally got positive charging (albeit not much) while streaming Battle of Midway from Netflix and the Wire from HBO GO last night. Using WTSB 1.9 rom and Monoprice MHL adapter.

What I had to do was:
    -Airplane Mode;
    -Turn on Wifi;
    -Turn off account sync;
    -Taskmanager to kill off everything but netflix;
    -Use SetCPU to underclock to (648ishMHZ for netflix) or (900ishMHZ for HBO GO);
    -Covedesign app to turn off button backlights;
    -Covedesign app to go to backlight "blink" and disabled blink (like jumping rope) just at the right time for the backlight to stay off (may have to do this several times)(though this makes it damn hard to interact with phone unless you have bt mouse or keyboard - if not, may just want to turn brightness down as far as you can get);

My setup:
    Evo3d streaming via wifi from iSpot 4G Clear device, outputting via MHL to optoma pk201 pico projector, with stock charger+usb, and audio via MHL/HDMI to pico projector.

Comment:
    Netflix ROCKS (wonder why no stock landscape UI though)!!! Great streaming, no hiccups; HBO GO, on the other hand, (while AMAZING selection) constantly drops out to "Audio only stream, connect to stronger network or wifi for video", stutters, ... all kinds of crap and this is on a pretty regular 6mbps 4G Clear iSpot!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

BTW, anyone know of an app that lets you monitor your total mA usage live?
    like a graphing app or anything?
    There used to be a great one for WM6 that showed, for example 400milliamps with screen on, and 200milliamps with screen off and graphed it over time.

I keep getting pissed off with these phones; can anyone help me (I've been searching for years and can't find answers) mind you, I'm coming from the x51v wm6.5.3; PalmTX; Sammy Omnia...
    -Why can't we turn off the backlight to the screen?
    -Why can't we MANUALLY rotate to landscape or portrait? (I know you can manually engage or disengage the AUTOmatic rotation feature)
    -(maybe this does exist) Why can't we get readings on how many mA we are using?
    It just seems like the x51v from 2002 was so much more advanced and customizable, seems like we are re-creating the wheel over and over again.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Rather than carry on with the inane discussion above I decided to test my particular MHL adapter, the one sold by T-Mobile... I'm using Battery Monitor Widget and a beefy Monoprice HDMI cable btw. Here's what I've found:

A) It clearly states "Charging (USB)" under About phone/Battery, which means the phone WILL NOT charge at full speed when plugged in via MHL... At least with this adapter. USB charging usually means the phone is getting a max of 0.5A from the port (which is what you'd get from a PC's port), which is half what you'll get from the stock HTC charger or any other 1A charger.

B) With the phone completely idle, while connected to Wifi and with the screen turned on but at low brightness (30%-ish) I usually see a power draw of around -250mA. (ideal conditions really) Any time I plug my phone into the stock charger with any microUSB cable I've tested it jumps up to anywhere between +750mA and +800mA, e.g. max charging rate of 1A minus the existing draw of 250mA-ish. When plugged into the MHL adapter with the same charger/cable I see around +150mA, so technically it's charging but it's not even charging at 0.5A (more like 0.4A), it's charging very slowly basically.

C) Playing Green Hornet under the same ideal conditions (Wifi on, brightness low, no streaming) I'm seeing a draw of like -10mA or just under that, so it's DISCHARGING albeit very very slowly. Basically it's discharging at a negligible rate, slower than it'd discharge in your pocket while waking around and pinging different 3G towers.

D) Finally I tried a little Youtube streaming with a 10 min. clip (linked below) which seemingly resulted in an ever increasing power draw which peaked at -380mA (literally it kept using more and more power as the clip played, the Battery Widget graph was a sharp downward sloped line). It's still not discharging THAT fast (about as fast as normal Wifi web browsing would discharge it) but it's discharging at a pretty good clip nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75OuhWQ87w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The takeaway from all this is that MHL is hardly ideal, at least with the adapter I've got. Any heavy streaming (Netflix etc) will discharge your phone at a decent pace and if you intend to watch a full length movie I'd resort to some of the measures mentioned before (airplane mode, low brightness, etc.). The MHL/HDMI adapter wasn't really looking all that great to begin with because having the adapter hanging from your phone with two cables hanging from the adapter itself is pretty awkward imo, I'd rather just use my tablet for this kinda thing since it has a much beefier battery.

Now if anyone has any MHL adapters that report "Charging (AC)" when connected, that'd be a different story, since it'd mean at least double the charge rate which should be enough to keep up with basic Wifi streaming (4G might be a different story).

Now I'm curious whether TVs with actual MHL ports supply 0.5A thru MHL cables or whether they do 1A, MHL looked like a great long term single cable solution that eliminates the need for all these adapters (with future TVs), but it's gonna fail if it maxes out at 0.5A. Hopefully it's just a problem with these adapters (which themselves seem to require about 0.1A)

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

Some quick Google-fu revealed some bad news... The MHL spec itself seems to be a signaling spec and isn't necessarily attached to any single connector type, sorta how Thunderbolt is currently being implemented via Displayport copper cables but may move to fiber optic cables in the future. So there's room for change. The bad news is this tidbit:

"Operation of the mobile device in MHL mode while 5 volts and 500 mA of power are simultaneously provided from an HDTV or other CE device"

So yeah... Dunno what genius thought this up, but as currently implemented it's gonna fall short when used on modern smartphones. That quote's from Silicon Image, maybe LiquidSolstice can clue us in on the reasoning behind the 0.5A limit since he's done work for them... It seems woefully inadequate from a user perspective tho.

SI was only one of half a dozen companies in the MHL consortium that developed the spec btw (Samsung, Sony, etc are in it too). It's possible they stayed within standard USB 2.0 limits for power supply to retain compatibility with cameras and other devices, hard to say, the same blurb quoted above can be found at the MHL Consortium site. Good old microHDMI is looking a lot better right now...