[Q] Thinking of buying a Z1 but concerned about the screen/battery

Search This thread

crimsonnight

May 4, 2011
Hey guys,

On all the reviews I've seen it says the screen is prone to scratches/finger prints/lint etc - is there a screen protector I can use to eliminate all these problems... can you get screen protectors that repel finger marks? (sorry, can't think of a better way to phrase that) - if so could you please link me to the one you've been using?

My other concern is that the battery doesn't seem very big - how long are you guys getting out of your Compacts on average?

Cheers

crimsonnight

May 4, 2011
Thanks I did see screen protector thread before posting, but my question's more if a screen protector can counter all the negative remarks said about the display in reviews

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
The built in screen protector of Sony in this device is already doing great for a protector. I say you should be more worried about the back side being scratched than the fron portion :) Also battery life you'll be overwhelmed by it's capacity to hold a single charge.

thermalboyz

May 1, 2008
NoWhere
The built in screen protector of Sony in this device is already doing great for a protector. I say you should be more worried about the back side being scratched than the fron portion :) Also battery life you'll be overwhelmed by it's capacity to hold a single charge.

Not agreed with Riyal, if you are saying the Built in Screen Protector (Means the ASF Anti Shutter Film) then you are wrong, a lot of users from Z1 and Z1 Compact reported that the ASF scratch easily, attract dust and fingerprint.

Or maybe you are talking about the Screen underneath the ASF (by removing the ASF and lost the Sony Logo) then I don't know as I've not tried it yet.

Some users had a Screen Protector included in the Box (Depends on carrier and where you buy), then even the spare Screen Protector included in box are not good enough to prevent scratches and fingerprint.

Therefore, I would really recommend to get a decent protector for "Front" and "Back". Battery wise is good and last me more than 2 days of normal used. (My normal used consider FB, XDA, News Feeds, Browsing web, sync, email, whatsapp, Hangout, G+, Wifi, Mobile data, No GPS and other minor setting tweaks)

Reactions: crimsonnight

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
My feedback was from personal experience though... I already had 3 sony phones.

Xperia Pro, Xperia S and this Xperia Z1 Compact. The oldest sony device I have is Xperia Pro which I still use for 3 years now. And I can even show proof that the built in screen protector of my Xperia Pro still doesn't have even a single hairline scratch. Same goes for my Xperia S which I sold now and now on my Xperia Z1 Compact.

I'm not sure how those other users handle their phone to the point that it scratches the screen but I can say that if used properly you won't have any trouble with the built in protector. But of course... The protector is plastic it would get scratched when it's scratched by an object that's sharp and harder than plastic obviously.

Not agreed with Riyal, if you are saying the Built in Screen Protector (Means the ASF Anti Shutter Film) then you are wrong, a lot of users from Z1 and Z1 Compact reported that the ASF scratch easily, attract dust and fingerprint.

Or maybe you are talking about the Screen underneath the ASF (by removing the ASF and lost the Sony Logo) then I don't know as I've not tried it yet.

Some users had a Screen Protector included in the Box (Depends on carrier and where you buy), then even the spare Screen Protector included in box are not good enough to prevent scratches and fingerprint.

Therefore, I would really recommend to get a decent protector for "Front" and "Back". Battery wise is good and last me more than 2 days of normal used. (My normal used consider FB, XDA, News Feeds, Browsing web, sync, email, whatsapp, Hangout, G+, Wifi, Mobile data, No GPS and other minor setting tweaks)

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
+1 There have been so many reports of the ASF being easily scratched that I recommend putting a protector on asap, which for me is before I've even turned the Phone on.
And I can even show proof that the built in screen protector of my Xperia Pro still doesn't have even a single hairline scratch.
I would need to see that proof before even considering to believe that. :p I'll get some pictures up tomorrow of how my current protector looks, but I can always remove it and add another, once the ASF has just one little blemish then you'll be kicking yourself because the only way then to remove that blemish would be to remove the ASF. I also take the resale value into account too.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
I would upload one later on :) Time to test macro photography of Z1 Compact then haha!

I also have BTW a nokia N900 which has a resistive screen(made of plastic) and also no scratches and that's almost 5 years old now :D

Yeah I'm an avid fan of phones with HW qwerty keyboard.

+1 There have been so many reports of the ASF being easily scratched that I recommend putting a protector on asap, which for me is before I've even turned the Phone on.

I would need to see that proof before even considering to believe that. :p I'll get some pictures up tomorrow of how my current protector looks, but I can always remove it and add another, once the ASF has just one little blemish then you'll be kicking yourself because the only way then to remove that blemish would be to remove the ASF. I also take the resale value into account too.

arpinacio

Jul 28, 2010
Lisbon
The screen protector is awful...

Already have a deep scratch and I'm a very careful person... On the back I already have a film protector, so I can't give any feedback, but the screen protector on the front is very, very soft to protect from almost any scratch...

ziggyball

Feb 26, 2014
First, dont worry about the battery - the phone's battery life is fantastic. only bettered by 3000mAh+ phablets

Dont worry about the screen panel - it's a lovely 720p part with neutral colours which makes photos and videos look fantastic.

*Do* worry about the back - it's a horrible plastic that scratches easily.

*Do* worry about the Anti-Shatter-Film on the front. It's an abomination. It picks up dust, it scratches, and will need to come off sooner rather than later.
(compare this with any iPhone 4S+ screen after 2 years hard use - spotless, no/few scratches, oleophobic, lovely cold glass touch - it's no wonder that Sony have *finally* conceded and removed the plastic film from the Z2 (and hopefully Z2 mini))

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I should add - I feel this is the best android device currently available, and I use it every day. Despite the caveats listed I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: crimsonnight

crimsonnight

May 4, 2011
First, dont worry about the battery - the phone's battery life is fantastic. only bettered by 3000mAh+ phablets

Dont worry about the screen panel - it's a lovely 720p part with neutral colours which makes photos and videos look fantastic.

*Do* worry about the Anti-Shatter-Film on the front. It's an abomination. It picks up dust, it scratches, and will need to come off sooner rather than later.
(compare this with any iPhone 4S+ screen after 2 years hard use - spotless, no/few scratches, oleophobic, lovely cold glass touch - it's no wonder that Sony have *finally* conceded and removed the plastic film from the Z2 (and hopefully Z2 mini))

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

I should add - I feel this is the best android device currently available, and I use it every day. Despite the caveats listed I would definitely recommend it.

Cheers :)

I've ordered a screen protector, would you recommend removing the ASF before fitting it in that case?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.