Tips for coping with an un-rooted device

Search This thread

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
There are a lot of threads here and in the VZW forum about how terrible this device is, etc, without root. I'm a former flash-a-holic and my last several devices have all been Samsung on stock, albeit rooted, firmware. those of us preferring touchwiz have our reasons, and those who prefer aosp have theirs, but this isn't a "why we can't have aosp" thread, this is about making lemonade with what we have.

so, my reasons for wanting root, and how I worked around them:

1. ad blocking. I LOVE adaway, its seriously the first app I'd install on a new device after rooting. without root, give adblock plus a try. you can turn off the status bar notifications in the app and by ticking the box in the app manager.

its simple enough to disable apps on WiFi, just input the proxy host name and port and you're done. I hadn't ever found a clear and concise instruction on how to do this with mobile data, so here it is- create a NEW APN and copy all of the info from the stock APN, and add the proxy host name and port. done, you now have ad blocking on WiFi and mobile data, without root, and without persistent notifications.

2. de-bloating. first, the s5 has less bloat than the s3 or s4, but its still there. it is INCREADIBLY easy to disable or uninstall on this device. go to the app drawer and press the settings icon (or long press the app switcher button) and select uninstall/disable apps. if its ATT or Samsung, and you don't want it, odds are you can either uninstall or disable it. just make sure that in Samsung Apps you disable automatic updates over WiFi. you can also hide them.

myth busting time: IF you were rooted, and IF you manually removed bloat apps, you do NOT gain ANY additional usable space in device storage.

3. tether bypass. there are multiple threads here on how to do this. I have a 10gb plan so its a non issue here.

4. Writing to extSDcard. most built in apps like the browser, email, and camera will save to the ext SD card. so will my files, which is actually a LOT better than on the s3 or s4.

5. removing bloat bookmarks from the stock browser. I prefer the stock browser over chrome, call me crazy. I also don't like the 4 pre-loaded bookmarks being in my list. I saw a tip here to just create a folder called My Bookmarks or whatever you like and put your bookmarks there. the bloat is still there but its not staring you in the face.

so what else have you guys been doing to get functionality that was easy and convenient with root, but still attainable without?

byte9

Oct 17, 2012
so what else have you guys been doing to get functionality that was easy and convenient with root, but still attainable without?

Speed- I find that a lot of people nag about speed, my phone is fluid in all ways. Three factors play into this, using the TW launcher, animation speed, one last tricky one-- S-Voice has a delay on the home button waiting for the possible hook in for user prompting it. My standpoint is you can get from a TW rom the kind of speed or more that you can with a rom somebody else pre-tweaked for you.

Remedies below.

1. Get Nova Launcher (you can look into others if you like, if you want an experienced users perspective on speed, use Nova it flies)

2. Enable Developer Options(click About Device, click build number until it says Dev mode is enabled), Turn OFF animations for Transition window animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale.

3. Open up S Voice (through the double-tap shortcut or in the app drawer). Tap the menu button in the top right corner (three dots) and find the "Open via home key" option under "Wake-up." Disable for slightly faster home button response.

Some people may find this abrupt transition between applications off putting at first but once you give it an hour the phone is flying so fast I could never go back. Enjoy!

Last edited:

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
My tip.. simple but I'm a customize nerd.

iFont available for free from the Play store allows you to add hundreds of fonts to your phone right from the app, and is compatible with the font selection from settings - display.You can also load fonts from the internet or your computer and use that as your default font.

The one lag, I still can't stand... despite all the animations being off is the lag between camera and gallery... like I take a photo, click the little image to view it and it sits there for at least 15 seconds before the gallery opens up. Anyone else have this issue?? I'm so used to CM based roms and still try to swipe to view the gallery LOL

Cjohns8792

Apr 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
My tip.. simple but I'm a customize nerd.

The one lag, I still can't stand... despite all the animations being off is the lag between camera and gallery... like I take a photo, click the little image to view it and it sits there for at least 15 seconds before the gallery opens up. Anyone else have this issue?? I'm so used to CM based roms and still try to swipe to view the gallery LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

This could be due to your SD card. If you are saving pics to external SD and your card is a lower class it will read and write data in a longer time frame. If you are using internal memory and not the SD card slot then I'm not sure. Backup everything and try a factory reset. I personally don't have an SD card, I don't see the need without root. Also it takes about 3 seconds for me to do what takes you 15. That's why I think an SD might be the Culprit here

miller1821

Jan 6, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
There is 1 thing you can not do without root that is needed for me. I own a Pioneer Appradio and use ARUnchained which requires root. If you don't know what it is then look it up. It basically mirrors your phone and lets you use touch on Pioneers Appradio. I used this with my GS3 and if I would have known we wouldn't have root after this long I would have kept it and not bought the GS5. There is no getting around root for this. Pioneer's stock app has restrictions and doesn't let you mirror everything where as ARUnchained solves this problem.

drwx

Oct 5, 2010
Nashville, TN
Anyone got a working "volume rocker skip"? I've seen the double press ones that work as a service..seems wonky.

--
Stephen

meissen

Nov 5, 2007
Detroit, MI
www.mifbody.com

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
Bit of a newb here.. but what exactly do I put in these spots? Tried this and kept saying no internet and switching back over. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

proxy host is "localhost" without quotes....and proxy port is 2020....that should do it :good:

RoguePC's got it covered.

my only real gripe with adblock + is it only blocks internet traffic, not in-app ads. still better than nothing though.

Add45

Jan 20, 2010
stl
Anyone know how to remap buttons ? I highly doubt there is a way without root but not having a menu button is killing me

Wallcrawler77

Jun 13, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Anyone know how to remap buttons ? I highly doubt there is a way without root but not having a menu button is killing me

The menu button function is still there ... just long-press the recent apps button. If you've got a specific app that doesn't display the 3-dots menu somewhere on the screen, you might want to reach out to the developer. That's part of modern Android UX standards. I recently reached out to Untappd and they updated their app to include it pretty quickly.

Add45

Jan 20, 2010
stl
The menu button function is still there ... just long-press the recent apps button. If you've got a specific app that doesn't display the 3-dots menu somewhere on the screen, you might want to reach out to the developer. That's part of modern Android UX standards. I recently reached out to Untappd and they updated their app to include it pretty quickly.

Thanks, but what I meant is that I do not like having to hold down the button to pull up tthe menu. I much rather prefer having the recent apps by holding down home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wallcrawler77

Jun 13, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks, but what I meant is that I do not like having to hold down the button to pull up tthe menu. I much rather prefer having the recent apps by holding down home.

Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately, short of root reassigning buttons, I don't think that's a desire that will see much traction in the future now that the UX standards require on-screen menus and more devices are coming out without any soft buttons at all. :( When you get down to it though, you're either tapping the bottom-left of your device or you're tapping the three dots on the screen.

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Awesome app called quick click,let's you map your volume buttons for flashlight and a lot of others actions,just throwing it out there missed using xposed,mods with that.

SENT FROM DJMOUSE'S SM-G900A

Reactions: Add45

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of threads here and in the VZW forum about how terrible this device is, etc, without root. I'm a former flash-a-holic and my last several devices have all been Samsung on stock, albeit rooted, firmware. those of us preferring touchwiz have our reasons, and those who prefer aosp have theirs, but this isn't a "why we can't have aosp" thread, this is about making lemonade with what we have.

so, my reasons for wanting root, and how I worked around them:

1. ad blocking. I LOVE adaway, its seriously the first app I'd install on a new device after rooting. without root, give adblock plus a try. you can turn off the status bar notifications in the app and by ticking the box in the app manager.

its simple enough to disable apps on WiFi, just input the proxy host name and port and you're done. I hadn't ever found a clear and concise instruction on how to do this with mobile data, so here it is- create a NEW APN and copy all of the info from the stock APN, and add the proxy host name and port. done, you now have ad blocking on WiFi and mobile data, without root, and without persistent notifications.

2. de-bloating. first, the s5 has less bloat than the s3 or s4, but its still there. it is INCREADIBLY easy to disable or uninstall on this device. go to the app drawer and press the settings icon (or long press the app switcher button) and select uninstall/disable apps. if its ATT or Samsung, and you don't want it, odds are you can either uninstall or disable it. just make sure that in Samsung Apps you disable automatic updates over WiFi. you can also hide them.

myth busting time: IF you were rooted, and IF you manually removed bloat apps, you do NOT gain ANY additional usable space in device storage.

3. tether bypass. there are multiple threads here on how to do this. I have a 10gb plan so its a non issue here.

4. Writing to extSDcard. most built in apps like the browser, email, and camera will save to the ext SD card. so will my files, which is actually a LOT better than on the s3 or s4.

5. removing bloat bookmarks from the stock browser. I prefer the stock browser over chrome, call me crazy. I also don't like the 4 pre-loaded bookmarks being in my list. I saw a tip here to just create a folder called My Bookmarks or whatever you like and put your bookmarks there. the bloat is still there but its not staring you in the face.

Speed- I find that a lot of people nag about speed, my phone is fluid in all ways. Three factors play into this, using the TW launcher, animation speed, one last tricky one-- S-Voice has a delay on the home button waiting for the possible hook in for user prompting it. My standpoint is you can get from a TW rom the kind of speed or more that you can with a rom somebody else pre-tweaked for you.

Remedies below.

1. Get Nova Launcher (you can look into others if you like, if you want an experienced users perspective on speed, use Nova it flies)

2. Enable Developer Options(click About Device, click build number until it says Dev mode is enabled), Turn OFF animations for Transition window animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale.

3. Open up S Voice (through the double-tap shortcut or in the app drawer). Tap the menu button in the top right corner (three dots) and find the "Open via home key" option under "Wake-up." Disable for slightly faster home button response.

Some people may find this abrupt transition between applications off putting at first but once you give it an hour the phone is flying so fast I could never go back. Enjoy!
    Awesome app called quick click,let's you map your volume buttons for flashlight and a lot of others actions,just throwing it out there missed using xposed,mods with that.

SENT FROM DJMOUSE'S SM-G900A