VGA 144

Search This thread

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Excellent suggestion to replace iGO with tom tom.

Spb pocket plus could similarly be replaced with iLauncher, which IMHO is a way better product anyway. My device is way more stable with iLauncher.

Yes,I wonder why it takes so long for a product like this to surface. It is what Goldilock would have said "not too big, not too small, it is just nice! "

I notice that my device gives an error message when I try to use the clock and alarm program. It says there is insufficient memory and that I should stop some running program although there isn't anything running. Do you guys get the same message?

Last edited:

tobias.waldvogel

Nov 2, 2006
DPI switcher

You guys asked for a DPI switcher. Well here it is. This is a new package with the 96dpi resources, the 128dpi resource and a Switcher. So you can change your favourite setting at any time. You will find the program in Start menu -> RealVGA. Have fun.

Tobias

Attachments

• RealVGA.ARM.CAB.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 596

jsp91470

Mar 17, 2006
San Jose, CA
Almost...

works great! but... the icons look kinda freaky!

My thoughts too... In Spb Pocket Plus the large icons are too large and the small icons are too small, plus some of the large icons (especially the System icons like Soft Reset, backlight, and Remove Programs) were missing, replaced with Windows logos. Those I could live with, but I also found that drop-down list boxes did not work, and neither did scroll boxes.

Otherwise, the font sizes were perfect. Can still see a lot of screen real estate without microscopic fonts and menus.

Is it possible to make the switcher 3-way, to make it switch between QVGA, 192 dpi, and 144 dpi? Then we wouldn't have to keep installing and ininstalling cab files.

Thanks

tobias.waldvogel

Nov 2, 2006
Is it possible to make the switcher 3-way, to make it switch between QVGA, 192 dpi, and 144 dpi? Then we wouldn't have to keep installing and ininstalling cab files.

It is already. You can choose between 96dpi, 128dpi and 192dpi.

144 is just the title of the thread. 128dpi is natively supported by Microsoft on other devices so it was quite easy to get the icons dialogs and so on. If you would like to have 144dpi then you are on your own designing all the icons and resources and bitmaps, an incredible amount of work.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Wow!
Able to switch between all the there modes without uninstalling and reinstalling!

I absolutely love this application.

Thank you Tobias. I pay my utmost respect to you.

nugift

Nov 7, 2006
Ho Chi Minh City
This CAB is excellent! But there is still a tiny problem when I tried to open CommManager, it could not appear (pls see the pic).

Have you faced the same thing?

Attachments

• Default_007.jpg
    Default_007.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 298

Tadeusz

Feb 11, 2007
Warsaw
Almost excelent

Thnx Tobias,
This is the best app for real vga for Athena till now.
However, there are some issues yet. Ppl mentioned them above. It is not only that there is no some icons in spb. Those icons are some system icons and you cant find them in the system nither. I've found that the 128 resolution laks two dlls. There is no riresdll.128.dll and shellresapps.128.dll. Those files probably should provide those laking icons.
There is also problem with skype. It want start, but this is a problem of skype setup which proably is only for 192 res.
And at last there is the known problem with system apps like comm manager and phone or rather smart dialing implementation. This is well known and for now there is no solution for that.

Once more, Tobias great work.

Last edited:

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Tengo - Not too big, not too small.

Now I need a good SIP keyboard that would be big enough to use with this.

Tengo 2.1. Not too big to cover up too much of the screen. Not too small that you can't type with your THUMB. If you're after really nice skin and bigger typing space for your thumb, try Tengo Thumb. The nice thing about this is your finger and thumb need not move all over the place and hit exactly the same tiny spot. With Tengo, you only have to hit 6 large area all located as close as you want to each other, instead of 26 small areas spaced far apart from each other. For real speed and accuracy, Tengo is still my recommendation.:)

tobias.waldvogel

Nov 2, 2006
There is no riresdll.128.dll and shellresapps.128.dll.
Yes, you are right. Thank you for posting that.
For 96dpi they ara already in the Athena ROM, therefore I didn't include them and I forgot to include them for 128dpi. The shellresapps is available for 128dpi the riresdll however not. So I will just convert the resources, fortunately they are just a few. Then I will post an update.

tobias.waldvogel

Nov 2, 2006
Ne version

Hi guys,

here is the new version with the two missing DLLs for 128dpi. I also added the option to enable or disable the phone skin, so you don't need to do it by yourself with a registry editor.

Attachments

• RealVGA.ARM.CAB.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 631

Tadeusz

Feb 11, 2007
Warsaw
Hi guys,

here is the new version with the two missing DLLs for 128dpi. I also added the option to enable or disable the phone skin, so you don't need to do it by yourself with a registry editor.
Thanks again. I have installed it but no change. The files are on their place now, but icons are not visible in spb. If you try to add a new icon and choose system options then you can see that non of icons are visible. All system options on the list are with standard "unknown" icon.
The option for unswitching phone theme works well.

jsp91470

Mar 17, 2006
San Jose, CA
Thanks again. I have installed it but no change. The files are on their place now, but icons are not visible in spb. If you try to add a new icon and choose system options then you can see that non of icons are visible. All system options on the list are with standard "unknown" icon.
The option for unswitching phone theme works well.

Confirmed. I just tried it myself. Missing system icons in Spb Pocket Plus.

On a more serious note, drop-down list boxes still do not work-- to use a drop-down box I have to select the drop-down arrow, then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll through the options, but the list itself does not drop down.

tobias.waldvogel

Nov 2, 2006
On a more serious note, drop-down list boxes still do not work-- to use a drop-down box I have to select the drop-down arrow, then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll through the options, but the list itself does not drop down.

Where does this exactly occur? I didn't experience problems with drop down boxes so far. It might happen in a particuluar program maybe so I would need to know exactly where you experienced this problem.

jsp91470

Mar 17, 2006
San Jose, CA
Where does this exactly occur? I didn't experience problems with drop down boxes so far. It might happen in a particuluar program maybe so I would need to know exactly where you experienced this problem.

After some further experimenting I found that the drop-down problem seems to be limited to Spb Pocket Plus. Still, for me that's big because I can't add new items to the Today plugin-- new items to add are sorted by category and I can't change categories without the drop-down list working.

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState
What is everyone using for a SIP keyboard. I going to give Tengo a try but I would like to know if there are others that would work. FingerTouch does not work with True VGA