[Q] when trying to backup through TWRP my data size is 4.5G !!!! how could it be

Search This thread

Zivonche

Jan 15, 2011
hello

I move from Nexus S to Nexus 5
I am familier with TWRP and backing up my device
but i have never had to clear almost half of my storage for backing up my device
and i used to fill it with lots of app some of them with additional files over 1G (Asphalt 7 for example)

i can guess it maybe because of file system or something like this,
as in the Nexus S you connect your system to the computer in a different way and could move apps to SDcard and now everything is in the same place so the "data" get very large

so what one should do? should i uninstall large apps ? should i move titanium backup files ?

it all sound ridiculous to me cause it misses the point of the backup :rolleyes:

please Help

Zivonche

Jan 15, 2011
i expected the backup not to backup unimportant files the same as it does not backup photos and videos.
games files and other large file should not be backed up as they have no meaning the game will download them again after restore if it needs

is there a way to install game sto the SDcard?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
i expected the backup not to backup unimportant files the same as it does not backup photos and videos.
games files and other large file should not be backed up as they have no meaning the game will download them again after restore if it needs

is there a way to install game sto the SDcard?

games are installed to your "sd".
apps2sd hasnt been done on a nexus since the nexus s days. thats because they only gave a limited amount a space that you can install apps to. nowadays youre only limited to the amount of total storage space the phone comes with. and every time i restore a backup, my game data gets restored as well, so i dont have to redownload it.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Twrp backs up /system and /data ignoring the sdcard 'section'

Moving your Titanium Backups will do nothing to save your space from your backup because the backup is saved on your sdcard section

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: GldRush98

Zivonche

Jan 15, 2011
ok thanks

i cleared the play music cash save myself a :1.5G :D

but still data is 2.9G

i am looking for the other large files right now
keep on with the ideas please

Zivonche

Jan 15, 2011

Moving your Titanium Backups will do nothing to save your space from your backup because the backup is saved on your sdcard section

Sent from my Nexus 5

it seems that you are not correct
i cheack my /data folder size using root explorer and its 8.45G that means WTRP backing up only some folders inside /data
anyone knows what are those folders?

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
My CWM backups are just south of 1 gig. Granted I don't have a lot of large apps like games on there. With CWM I just mount OTG via recovery(actually it self mounts) and backup to my Meenova card reader. Its got a 64GB micro sdcard in it so space isn't a concern. It might be an option for you. You can also just use a cheap USB to Micro USB cable and a spare memory stick that most people have laying around these days.

MartinMo

Mar 10, 2011
You can do fine grained backups via Titanium backup if you don't want backups of the whole system. Otherwise just plugin an external USB stick and save your backup there. You just have to mount it. I've got enough space on my external sd in my galaxy note 2 so I never tried but I just had a look in TWRP and I saw that I just have to select the destination for the backup on the otg device so I think it would solve your problems and you should just try it. Hope this can help you. best regards Martin

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

dethrat

Jan 2, 2012
it seems that you are not correct
i cheack my /data folder size using root explorer and its 8.45G that means WTRP backing up only some folders inside /data
anyone knows what are those folders?

Please tell me you haven't been dumb enough to check the properties of /data

/data/media/0 is a mount point of the SD card partition 8.45GB is what everything on your phone is minus /system

And no sdcard by default doesn't get backed up in twrp when you back up /data that mount point will be empty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    what do you expect with so much data? enable compression in twrp recovery, maybe itll be a smaller of a backup? my backups are about 2gb in size.

Sent from my Nexus 5