Casemate Tough Case - Pics/Review

Search This thread

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
So as per vectron's suggestion, I emailed case-mate about my black case (due to it looking different than what I had made (darker/hard to see lettering for Note II)). They were very kind and let me get a replacement for free and I ended up redesigning a better case. So if you do have issues, the staff is very cooperative and helpful.

my new design:

case_mate_custom_blue.jpg

Rs84

Dec 5, 2012
Is there any ebay store that selling casemate? I saw few sellers but didnt sure its a original case...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Why ebay store? I just looked and those are over $40 in there. Might as well buy it from Case-Mate directly. Plus, Case-Mate has 30% sales very often. I usually try to post it in here whenever i get an email from them. But if you go to Amazon, those are on average $23 shipped free from Case-Mate themselves. Can't beat that deal!

Reactions: sleshepic

anoninja118

Mar 31, 2011
L.A.
Why ebay store? I just looked and those are over $40 in there. Might as well buy it from Case-Mate directly. Plus, Case-Mate has 30% sales very often. I usually try to post it in here whenever i get an email from them. But if you go to Amazon, those are on average $23 shipped free from Case-Mate themselves. Can't beat that deal!

seconded, check amazon too as I got black/black and blue/grey tough cases for 18.99 each and free shipping directly from Case-Mate... love the cases too BTW!!

tappity tap tapped from my Note 2

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
If there is a match made in heaven for a case and a holster - it will not get any better than Case-Mate Tough and Seidio ACTIVE holster!!!!

Don't take my words for it, check out the pictures. Seidio holsters are by far the only quality holster I would consider for any case I want to keep secure only belt. Their design of bottom corner protection and spring loaded latch are top notch. This combo fits like a glove!!!!! And what's great, the holster itself could be purchased separately (http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2-active-holster-p/hlssgt2asa.htm), just has to be ACTIVE holster, not SURFACE.

Here are the pictures:

casemate_toughactive_holster-01_zps77dcde0f.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-02_zpsf5aa70b7.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-03_zps423f5700.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-04_zpsaf30d44b.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-05_zps26aad403.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-06_zpsc4dc2604.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-07_zps8dbbf762.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-08_zps489459ae.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-09_zps491a8c65.jpg

casemate_toughactive_holster-10_zps3d928ade.jpg

faded03cobra

Mar 23, 2012
Just received this case today and it's great. I do not use cases for the most part, but pulled the trigger on this one and it's perfect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

sheltem

Jul 30, 2007
Great review! I actually ordered both the Case-Mate Tough and the Diztronic TPU case for the Note 2. As much as I liked Diztronic on my Galaxy Nexus, the Tough is not too much thicker and provides better protection. I am mailing the Diztronic back!

Last edited:

harrychimp

Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Great review! I actually order both the Case-Mate Tough and the Diztronic TPU case for the Note 2. As much as I liked Diztronic on my Galaxy Nexus, the Tough is too much thicker and provides better protection. I am mailing the Diztronic back!

I order my Tough Case (same color) because of the great pictures several posts beforehand as well as I got to see the Tough Case on the S3 last night. It's sleek, yet solid which gives the instant impression that it will truly protect the phone from drops and firm handling.

I order the Diztronic last week. Save your money and cancel the order if you can. It's okay, but not worth $10.

On a sidenote, I was the previous owner of an S3 that was secured in an Otterbox Commuter Case. It made the phone feel twice as large and the inner TPU casing was inflexible to the point that I had to use some strength to depress the power or volume rocker buttons. To me, they have become the iPhone of cases: OVERHYPED!!!

Now, Case-Mate needs to get their act together as well and get their products online and in retail stores as quickly as Otterbox. I would not have thought twice about buying a Tough Case for my S3 when I was in the market for one last September. But they had yet to have any Tough Cases available.

harrychimp

Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
The Tough Case already arrived today. Ordered it off of Amazon on Saturday. I love the design of the inner soft TPU. Having only an outer TPU with a big hole (for lack of a better descriptive) makes the Tough Case very sleek. Heck, it's sleeker than the Diztronic which is not a bad soft case.

chrisjm00

Jul 29, 2007
Nottingham, MD
How does this case do as far as attracting lint? Most two parters I have had were horrendous in regards to keeping them clean. I don't want to buy a lint magnet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
How does this case do as far as attracting lint? Most two parters I have had were horrendous in regards to keeping them clean. I don't want to buy a lint magnet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

No lint attraction, this is not soft silicone case or soft silicone inner shell. Typically rubbery silicone material is the one attracting lint (like most of the Seidio and Ballistic cases). This one is slim, easy in'n'out of the pocket, and great protection! You will not be disappointed.

abnormal1379

Apr 7, 2010
Just got my Tough Case after returning a defective UAG case from Amazon (UAG had a manufacturing defect. The molding on one of the corners was completely warped. Really bad quality control. I think I would have returned the case anyway. It made the phone bulkier than I thought.).

The Tough Case is a pretty nice case. It doesn't add much bulk to the phone while giving it some added protection. In fact, it doesn't feel any bulkier than my Body Glove TPU case.

The materials used on the phone feel pretty nice. The fit on the pieces is very nice. The diamond pattern on the back cover give the phone some added grip, but I can still easily slip the phone into my jean pocket. It doesn't attract any lint.

Not too sure why some people complained about the buttons on the case. I have zero problems finding and pressing them. The pressure seems just right.

The cutouts are very nicely done. They are all very large with cleanly cut edges. I especially like the micro USB cutout. It's seems larger than my previous cases. I don't have to modify any of my cables to use them with the case on.

I only have 2 little gripes. I wish the lip on the front glass was a bit more pronounced. As is now, it will keep the glass off of any surface if the phone is facing down, but just barely.

The second gripe is the cutout for the camera. I wish the camera cutout was either smaller or had some sort of rubber lip. I have a bad habit of accidentally brushing the camera lens with my finger. I'm constantly cleaning the damn thing. One thing I liked about the UAG case was that the camera cutout isolated the camera lens and prevented my finger from accidentally brushing against it.

Other than those two little gripes, I am very happy with the case. The price is right ($20 on Amazon) and the quality is top notch. This will be my primary case from now on.

Last edited:

mpr0062

Apr 15, 2013
holster

Hi, you may have somewhere else, but, you never mentioned on this thread - did you ever find out, if the Seidio Active Holster fits the Case-Mate Tough for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ? I think you did mention that the Case-mate POP! did match. In any case, it would be nice (for future newcomers as well, to know whether it's a nice fit, for the Seidio Active Holster on the actual Case-Mate Tough Thread (regarding holsters)

Also, since so many cases fit the Seidio Active Holster well (Ballistic SG, Duzign Snap-On, etc), it would be nice (*wink) if you comprised a list of cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster (not sure if you have done this already (if you have done it, please throw me a link!!! I cant find it! :)

Also, perhaps a list of cases that fit the Seidio Convert Skeleton. I know you have mentioned that the UAG fits it well, but , for those who don't already know (I did not find this information anywhere, It was just trial and error, the Galaxy Note 2 Otterbox Commuter Case fits the Seidio Convert Skeleton very decently as well. This is information that I could have used, I almost returned the Otterbox Commuter because of lack of any type of holster. In any case, the information is out now!!!

Thank you, for any information, on any future cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster / Seidio Convert Skeleton

-Mpr0062

Samsung Galaxy Note II i605 (Verizon Wireless), iPhone 4S, LG Cosmos 2

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi, you may have somewhere else, but, you never mentioned on this thread - did you ever find out, if the Seidio Active Holster fits the Case-Mate Tough for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ? I think you did mention that the Case-mate POP! did match. In any case, it would be nice (for future newcomers as well, to know whether it's a nice fit, for the Seidio Active Holster on the actual Case-Mate Tough Thread (regarding holsters)

Also, since so many cases fit the Seidio Active Holster well (Ballistic SG, Duzign Snap-On, etc), it would be nice (*wink) if you comprised a list of cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster (not sure if you have done this already (if you have done it, please throw me a link!!! I cant find it! :)

Also, perhaps a list of cases that fit the Seidio Convert Skeleton. I know you have mentioned that the UAG fits it well, but , for those who don't already know (I did not find this information anywhere, It was just trial and error, the Galaxy Note 2 Otterbox Commuter Case fits the Seidio Convert Skeleton very decently as well. This is information that I could have used, I almost returned the Otterbox Commuter because of lack of any type of holster. In any case, the information is out now!!!

Thank you, for any information, on any future cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster / Seidio Convert Skeleton

-Mpr0062

Samsung Galaxy Note II i605 (Verizon Wireless), iPhone 4S, LG Cosmos 2

Sure, I already mentioned and posted a mini review with Tough and Seidio Active holster in the previous page, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39611972&postcount=189 - fits like a glove!!!

Last edited:

mpr0062

Apr 15, 2013
thanks - however

Sure, I already mentioned and posted a mini review with Tough and Seidio Active holster in the previous page, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39611972&postcount=189 - fits like a glove!!!

Hi, I think you missed the main point of the post, I'm sorry I was not clear. It's in the second part of my post. I'm curious if you could comprise a list of cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster (not sure if you have done this already (if you have done it, please throw me a link!!! I cant find it!

Also, perhaps a list of cases that fit the Seidio Convert Skeleton.

I know that you do mention in different locations if the holster fits , like the UAG fitting the Convert Skeleton, and the Ballistic SG fitting the Seidio Active Holster. I'm just saying, it would be GREAT, if there was one location where we could see a list of which cases fit the Seidio Active Holster and, which ones fit the Seidio Convert Skeleton Armor. This would make things very easy, for new users, and advanced users alike, who want to find Note 2 Cases that will already fit the Seidio Active Holster, rather than having to look through each review and thread to see if you mentioned if it fits. For some people, having a case that will fit a Holster is a deal-breaker. (if I did not know the Ballistic SG fit the Seidio Active, I would not have purchased it)

I do love your reviews!! don't get me wrong! I'm just suggesting - that a list of cases that fit the Seidio Active Holster , and the Convert Skeleton - all in one place would be VERY convenient!

-Mike

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Tough cases has always been the best I've owned. They have changed the design up for our Note 2 (just like trident, I feel these companies are debuting the latest and greatest with our phone). So I've reviewed it below.

Made a separate review thread here, easier to post a bunch of pics.

http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686
    I got my Marine Blue/Titanium Case-mate Tough Case (http://www.case-mate.com//samsung-g...se-mate-samsung-galaxy-note-2-tough-cases.asp) today and so far very impressed with this case!!! Reading Slesh's review as well as other comments gives you an idea of what to expect, but you don't realize how light and slim this case is until you hold it in your own hands. You almost get fooled into thinking how such a slim case claims to be "tough" and offers you a protection? Make no mistake, it does! I always believe a picture is worth a thousand words, so I included a ton of those below, from every angle and inside-out. Also, want to add a few of my thoughts about the case.

Unlike a lot of other dual layer cases, case-mate came up with an original design of a inner rubber bumper (not the full shell) and outer plastic shell. Bumper is made out of hard TPU material that fits very snugly around the phone, and when assembled with a plastic shell - has zero pull around the edges. Inner plastic shell has an extra cushion lining in the middle which aligns perfectly with a bumper cutout which explains how they were able to make this case so thin. Plastic shell itself has a nice grip and a cool textured design. The textured diamonds are very subtle and the surface is easy to clean, as I found out within minutes after my 4 year old grabbed it with his pizza hands :) The lip, as I tried taking a close up in a few of the pictures, is not as high as on some other cases with silicon lining, but due to TPU hard nature of the material it will serve its purpose on par, if not even better, than other cases with a higher lip made out of soft silicon that pulls away. Every cutout is precise and generous. S-pen is easy to access, headphone jack has wide enough opening to accommodate different options, micro-usb port is wide enough for any after-market plug, and mic and speaker openings wide enough for a clear sound going in and out. Volume and power buttons are clearly marked and very easy to locate just by feeling while sliding your finger along the edge. They also have a click feedback when you press on it. It's true these are not easy to press, but I personally don't mind that because in my previous case with silicone inner shell I had a lot of accidental power on hits. Camera and led flash opening has a slight raised edge which I not sure the purpose of, but it flattens out; I took a close up picture of that as well.

It's hard to say which case I would compare it to because I think it's in a class by itself. It's like a hybrid between Commuter and slim TPU case since it's that thin and yet offers a decent level of protection. Once I get my UAG case, I will do side-by-side comparison since in my book I consider these two cases to offer the best of both worlds between slim design and phone protection.

EDIT. a few more comments. I would like to add that package it came in is actually very high quality and that shiny top is made out of real aluminum, not some cheap foil (I'm talking about the box this case was packaged in). Also, unlike other vendors, it didn't include any screen protector which is common with other higher quality cases. Not sure if its even necessary since those are typically not high quality sp anyway, just a bonus. But still wanted to point out because people asking me if it came with any other goodies lol! Furthermore, the phone is very balanced once on its back, no wobbling or rocking - important if you are using it on flat surface to type/browse. Also, it does offer some grip with a surface once you lay it down on the screen or the back - important detail so the phone will not slide freely if you bump it on the table.

tough-case-01_zpscef51b12.jpg

tough-case-02_zpsc1960272.jpg

tough-case-03_zps088b4fe4.jpg

tough-case-04_zps85c5992d.jpg

tough-case-05_zps58a4a6de.jpg

tough-case-06_zpsa21e16ae.jpg

tough-case-07_zps91eb5389.jpg

tough-case-08_zpsc4a539d8.jpg

tough-case-09_zps5f76dbb0.jpg

tough-case-10_zps4cc52f0a.jpg

tough-case-11_zpsda679962.jpg

tough-case-12_zps38bfbee2.jpg

tough-case-13_zps800f3b0b.jpg

tough-case-14_zpsd3ab650a.jpg

tough-case-15_zps2acb11fe.jpg

tough-case-16_zps0408c84a.jpg

tough-case-17_zpsb69185df.jpg
    Here's a few with the red liner. The sun was beaming right on it in a few of them, and makes the red look lighter than it is.

EDIT: and people keep mentioning how it looks boring or generic, that depends on what you consider to look good. Personally I pay extra money for good clothing and gear that DOESN'T turn me into a walking billboard, or have rediculous markings. I find often in life the highest quality brands don't spend time plastering their damn logo ALL OVER a product and adding useless lines all over the place. All these cases now try to make your phone look like a cyborg, I'm all set with that. I don't think it looks boring at all, I think it looks and feels like quality, and looks professional and sophisticated. Which it is. Also if people are going to complain that the case adds weight and size to the phone over naked, I just don't know what to say. OF course it will! this is a comparison over other cases not over naked, geez lol
    but you don't have a problem posting coupon discounts?

sorry, I didn't know you owned XDA..

It is 100% inappropriate to try to sell personal goods in an accessories thread not dedicated to that. And this thread is for reviews and discount codes pretty much specifically so whats the issue with that? not sure how you dont see the dif dude. You have enough posts under your belt to know better.
    Posted the link in the OP, whipped together a quick review and put a bunch of pics on the team site, might add more etc tomorrow

http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686