Rooted Kindle Fire HD with working GAPPS and Play Store

Search This thread

uhupong

Aug 18, 2008
Forget step 8, the market should automatically update to pay store by itself.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

uhupong

Aug 18, 2008
It did on mykindle fire HD last night.

Just install vendor.apk and it eventually will turn to play store.

mapsmailbox

Aug 27, 2012
It did on mykindle fire HD last night.

Just install vendor.apk and it eventually will turn to play store.

It did not! This is kindle fire hd.

Stopxwatch gave everyone Gplay.apk and step 8. Need to install it to upgrade.

I only wonder how others installed it. Did everyone install it (play.apk) from file explorer? No problem? I installed it by adb command line and got a problem as I said in my first post. However, I changed the command line and installed successful.

allenfrisch

Sep 14, 2011
Mount Laurel, NJ
Warning About Rooting & Installing Google Apps on the KFHD

Just a friendly warning to everyone in this thread: I rooted the KFHD7 and installed the Google Apps following the instructions in this forum. Everything worked exactly as advertised, but after an hour or so of having access to the Google Play Store, Maps, Talk, etc. my WIFI radio died.

I don't know if this was a result of the rooting, the installation of the Google Apps, or mere coincidence, but nothing would resolve the situation. Even a factory reset did no good. In fact, it made it impossible for me to use the tablet, because without WIFI you cannot run through the initial setup process!

Fortunately Amazon was awesome and sent me a replacement, but I don't want anyone else out there to brick their unit like I did! So beware!!

uhupong

Aug 18, 2008
It did not! This is kindle fire hd.

Stopxwatch gave everyone Gplay.apk and step 8. Need to install it to upgrade.

I only wonder how others installed it. Did everyone install it (play.apk) from file explorer? No problem? I installed it by adb command line and got a problem as I said in my first post. However, I changed the command line and installed successful.

Whatever man . Worked on my KINDLE FIRE HD

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

jarzium

Oct 1, 2012
this has been absolutely frustrating for me. finally finally managed to root it and download android play store but my installations are stuck at 'starting download'. so near yet so far. :(

FranklyBemused

Sep 30, 2012
All steps (including root) completed successfully. Log into Gapps - okay. View Play store - okay. Attempt to install app - CRASH. "Google Play Store has stopped" And every attempt to access Gapps subsequent to that only generates the same error without ever getting into the store.

I've done a factory reset, root, and installation twice with exactly the same results. It seems like banging my head against a wall, but should I try this a third time? Does anyone have some insight into this?

If it needs said, Kindle Fire HD 7", four days old.

Thanks, All!

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Did you activate your google account before updating the play store? I noticed if you update the play store and then try to log-in, it wouldn't work. Otherwise every apk given here by the OP worked perfect for me.

FranklyBemused

Sep 30, 2012
Most definitely did the login after installing vending.apk. Login was successful. Then installed Gplay 3.8.17. I followed these instructions to the letter so its confusing why others are having much better luck. Thanks for your help.

Pirub

Nov 15, 2011
Works great. Had to reboot after installing vending.apk because it wouldn't login.

aiharang

Oct 3, 2012
Help.

So I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly.

1. Root your Kindle Fire HD
2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
3. Download Vending.apk
4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
6. Install Vending.apk
7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
9. Enjoy!

GoogleServicesFramework.apk - mediafire.com/?zaumfwhraxcifqf
Vending.apk - mediafire.com/?31bn3e258jjpj8d
Play.apk - mediafire.com/?wwcqrlfwt8o1gnv
Hello: I am a noob here. can you teach me how to set the read-write permission in /system/app ?

vzwty

Jan 30, 2008
Ok I followed all the steps but when I open the Market it gives me a server error and won't do anything. Any ideas? I even tried creating a new google account. When I go to accounts in the market it shows my email but the check mark is grayed out. I'm rooted for sure. thanks

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Ok I followed all the steps but when I open the Market it gives me a server error and won't do anything. Any ideas? I even tried creating a new google account. When I go to accounts in the market it shows my email but the check mark is grayed out. I'm rooted for sure. thanks

Ok got it to work. Had to re-install google framework services and it worked. Loving this tab even more now that I've got Nova Launcher and the Play store working. Much better than than my Nexus 7!

Last edited:

TheDoolster

Aug 10, 2012
Nashville
Did you activate your google account before updating the play store? I noticed if you update the play store and then try to log-in, it wouldn't work. Otherwise every apk given here by the OP worked perfect for me.
This is what I did, how can you deactivate your account on the device? I can't reinstall the Framework app because it preserves the data.

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
This is what I did, how can you deactivate your account on the device? I can't reinstall the Framework app because it preserves the data.

Amazon did not include the stock sync settings from android. In order to get to your google account sync, you need the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk that originally comes with stock android. You can read my notes here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897380

Once you are able to get to your android sync settings, you can delete and add accounts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Download Vending.apk
    4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.
    5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read
    6. Install Vending.apk
    7. The Android Market should show up in your Kindle Fire HD apps. Tap on it and follow the steps.
    8. Download and install the Play.apk to upgrade the the android market to the current Play market.
    9. Enjoy!

Does Amazon Instant video still work after rooting? A bunch of people keep asking this.

Yeah works fine after root.

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Yeah works fine after root.

I figured out how to get Google Play Movies to work as well. Place in system/app folder. set permissions to rw r r. reboot. install from file explorer launcher. If it doesn't work, reinstall again. Youtube signs in now as well using the same method!!!

YEAH BABY!
    try rebooting the fire.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

okay, so what worked for me was reinstalling the framework services and rebooting right after, now i am signed in thanks!! :D

3. Download Vending.apk
    6. Install Vending.apk
    9. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that we have no way of restoring the system folder yet, so if anything goes wrong with this process, you may end up bricking your tablet. Just a warning. :D
    how about attaching said apks?

or at least which ones?

i'm going to guess it's the latest gapps for ICS though?