[Q]E: error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip status 2

Search This thread

ssjgoku24

Aug 26, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm getting the same error when trying to flash and when I reboot I can't get past the htc screen. I'm using the twrp recovery and I have tried resetting a few times.

EDIT**

I tried resetting my phone a couple more times and it finally just worked. I have no clue what causes this.

Last edited:

B-Mod

Apr 10, 2011
Original poster is correct, this method works for whatever reason. I tried it twice now.........

Last edited:

SpyFi

Jun 6, 2011
Same thing

Trying to flash a kernal. I tried several reboots of bootloader and recovery and no luck. I am going to flash clockwork since I am using team wins recovery and see if that works.

antiphon

Dec 8, 2007
San Francisco
Yeah had this error too. I think it happens when you try to flash a different kernel on the stock ROM. After I switched to a different ROM the error went away.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Juan12345

Jul 31, 2011
I'm having the same issues, but rebooting isn't helping. TWRP needs to be updated to address this issue. Until then, no ROMs for me.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
That error will usually occur with signature verification failures, you need to make sure that signature verification isn't turned on when installing an unsigned rom.

Juan12345

Jul 31, 2011
It would make sense if this has to do with permissions, but I have signature verification turned off in the bootloader. Is there somewhere else that signature verification needs to be turned off?

rickpref

Aug 5, 2010
I'm getting this error trying to root the phone using the sticky guide. It happens when I try to flash the superuser file.

AssassinsLament

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Don't waste your breath guys.

I've tried diligently to work with the devs of TWRP trying to resolve a number of outstanding issues and polish it up and they don't seem to be receptive.

https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/12

Diligently work with the devs? Like this "issue" ?

http://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/6

and this:

https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/7

?

And for everyone in this thread, this issue has been covered many times in our thread. It's due to compatibilities with the updater-binary and accompanying script. As we have adopted update-binary api 3, and sideload errors are because the rom/zip is trying to issue an api command no longer supported in api3. Get your nice "devs" to update their scripts.

HackDPlanet

Jul 16, 2011
I was receiving this error for two days after s-off and updated recovery. I was breaking my head trying to figure out a solution. I tried everything from switching recoveries to even pushing SU again. I also downloaded ROMe using my pc and my phone bc many ppl were calling the ROMs "corrupted." Nothing worked. I even received hate mail from multiple XDA members bc I was posting "too" many questions "without" searching the forum.

Solution, changing out my SDcard. LMAO, yes I know, wanted to run through a wall bc i had thought of it right off the back but did not want to believe my 32 gig card was causing the problem. I replaced with the card that came with the phone and BAM have been switching ROMs ever since.

Food for thought.

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Diligently work with the devs? Like this "issue" ?

http://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/6

and this:

https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/7

?

And for everyone in this thread, this issue has been covered many times in our thread. It's due to compatibilities with the updater-binary and accompanying script. As we have adopted update-binary api 3, and sideload errors are because the rom/zip is trying to issue an api command no longer supported in api3. Get your nice "devs" to update their scripts.

Recovery can be a pretty scary place for many folks, For you and I this is our bread and butter, for most it's a rare visit. My goal in everything I've ever developed is to make things easier, friendly and inviting.

One of the many patterns you can use to accomplish this is to use professional and consistent verbiage and provide verbosity where it is appropriate. Usability 101.

I am sorry but "Backup Naowz!" is not clear and certainly not professional. This pro-treys no confidence that the following action is actually going to work.

Regarding the Original Posters message about this error which I also experienced. If this is common and you can trap it through exception handling, why not present a user friendly message to the user?

As I mentioned on IRC, I want this to be a polished product. I really think this can develop into one great recovery but right now it needs a little help. When you're ready to listen, I'm willing to help.

Last edited:

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Recovery can be a pretty scary place for many folks, For you and I this is our bread and butter, for most it's a rare visit. My goal in everything I've ever developed is to make things easier, friendly and inviting.

One of the many patterns you can use to accomplish this is to use professional and consistent verbiage and provide verbosity where it is appropriate. Usability 101.

I am sorry but "Backup Naowz!" is not clear and certainly not professional.

Regarding the Original Posters message about this error which I also experienced. If this is common and you can trap it through exception handling, why not present a user friendly message to the user?

As I mentioned on IRC, I want this to be a polished product. I really think this can develop into one great recovery but right now it needs a little help. When you're ready to listen, I'm willing to help.

First off, who really cares about "Backup Naowz!" being an issue but you? I mean seriously, you're just trolling. So do you go tell people they can't speak improper english because you don't like it? Come on. We do this for free, for fun. If you paid us to make this recovery for you, then sure, if what you want is Backup Now!, we can do that for you. But you are using it for free. At least feel grateful of what we've done as a hobby for everyone instead of nitpicking 10+ issues on the smallest inaccuracies that go against your perfect world. Seriously, I'm sure others might like the "Backup Naowz!". Anyways, if you have any suggestion or comments, feel free to do it in our thread, instead of drawing up 10+ issues that are more like "hey can you add this for me? do this for me? change this for me?" issues.

And now you go and try to make it seem like we don't care about helping our users? Nice try.

myn

Nov 15, 2007
Here's the zip that was giving me the sideload errors.

I don't see any issues with the updater-script and the updater-binary is ver 3.

Attachments

• FORMAT-ALL.zip
    143 KB · Views: 2,360

-shift-

Jun 29, 2010

I am sorry but "Backup Naowz!" is not clear and certainly not professional. This pro-treys no confidence that the following action is actually going to work.

i completely agree with polish and consistency portraying professionalism, and we're glad for and always open to suggestions. however, in this case, we purposely used that terminology. we, as teamwin, like to have fun with our projects. some of them are very serious (wimax, hdmwin, kernel manager). others are a bit more on the entertaining side (theninjatweeter, twinpic 3d). with the recovery, we wanted to do something that stood apart from the rest. we do things that reflect our personality as a team.

as for the sideload issues that many are experiencing, we've discussed many times in our threads as well as on twitter and even google+; it is an issue with an outdated updater-binary script. update the scripts, no more sideload errors.

to come out and say we're not willing to listen to suggestions seems a bit presumptuous, even dangerous, when the issues you put on our github were more along the lines of requests.

Last edited:

myn

Nov 15, 2007

if you have any suggestion or comments, feel free to do it in our thread, instead of drawing up 10+ issues that are more like "hey can you add this for me? do this for me? change this for me?" issues.

And now you go and try to make it seem like we don't care about helping our users? Nice try.

I apparently didn't realize that your thread was the official authoritative record for bug tracking. As your code is on github I thought the issue/request tracking would be a far better medium to track these. Hence why github has this feature ;) Interestingly enough 4 of the 10 features/bugs you implemented in your 1.3 TWRP release were reported by me at your github issue repo so apparently this is quite effective :)

Don't worry about the number of issues/requests out there or who put them in. I've got over 250+ issues/requests reported on Synergy and the thing went gold yesterday. Filter your issues/requests by priority and address them top down from highest first. Some you'll never get to and that's fine :).

Again, all I want to provide is a better experience for my users who I can hopefully promote to use TWRP. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
I apparently didn't realize that your thread was the official authoritative record for bug tracking. As your code is on github I thought the issue/request tracking would be a far better medium to track these. Hence why github has this feature ;) Interestingly enough 4 of the 10 features/bugs you implemented in your 1.3 TWRP release were reported by me at your github issue repo so apparently this is quite effective :)

Don't worry about the number of issues/requests out there or who put them in. I've got over 250+ issues/requests reported on Synergy and the thing went gold yesterday. Filter your issues/requests by priority and address them top down from highest first. Some you'll never get to and that's fine :).

Again, all I want to provide is a better experience for my users who I can hopefully promote to use TWRP. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Again, I don't mind real issues... That's not my point. My point is a lot of your so called bugs or issues are the way we cosmetically chose to do it. Your issues are more so opinions, and wish lists. There is a place for opinions, and a place for real bugs. That's all I am saying.

It would be on the same level as me using your bug/issue space to say "hey i don't like that color.", "hey, can you take off myn from everywhere in your rom, I like it without?" <--- these are NOT issues. These are just what I would like/want. Do you understand?

Anyhow, I am looking into your script. Sadly we do not have any documentation of the differences between api's but, I will try to figure it out. It looks simple enough, so it should work. I'll let you know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why was I getting that error? It's gone now I just want to make sure it's answered for everyone else. I was flashing a rom and it was doing that. Do a reboot. Your system wont be there so reboot into botoloader and go back into recovery.
    Ok, After some extensive code browsing and testing, I think I found the reasons.

Ok, some back ground:

Each flashable zip, contains this folder:
    Code:
    /META-INF/com/google/android/

In edify scripting, inside it, you will have two files:
    Code:
    update-binary
    updater-script

one is an executable binary, the other is just a plain text script.

Ok so now here comes the issue(s). Each update-binary can have it's own api essentially, based upon what device it was compiled for. Following still? Ok, so as an example, myn's FORMAT-ALL.zip above, is definitely edify, and most likely api 2, but the problem is that it does not have EXT4 file system built into it. (it as in the update-binary). Once you press flash zip, the recovery hands the zip off to update-binary, and update-binary does it's work. If the update-binary does not support a command or file system, it will error out. Most likely sideload error, as that's the default error. But you can see it output into the recovery log. You can verify this by running myn's zip above and checking recovery.log. It will say that ext4 is not a supported file system. Not supported, as in the update-binary. Twrp definitely supports ext4. So most likely, myn's update-binary was compiled for an MTD yaffs2 only device. EVO4G maybe?

Any how, to fix it, it's as simple as changing the update-binary to one that supports ext4 and EMMC for it to work on the EVO3D. I will attach one below for you guys. Hopefully that clears up things. I wasn't aware of all this until I actually went through the code.

Hope that clears things up!

P.S. if you do see an error, just check the recovery.log in /tmp/recovery.log
    moar advice

Thanks. That would be great if we could get an updated update-binary :)

if u dont wanna wait, u can compile it urself source is as always open and at android.kernel.org :) (will require the latest winrar)
    I got that too, if you look in the log, some how it wasn't successful in formatting cache. If you remove cache from the script, no errors. I suggest formatting cache in twrp advanced menu-> format menu. Check the log after wards and you will see it formatted fine. So could be the update-binary. One of these days I will compile an update binary with better support for commands. It's kinda cool how it works, it's like a little brother to the recovery.
    I'm going to post this because I was pulling my hair out trying to find the solution. I got this error message while installing the su (root) zip file. After reading this thread I learned that someone else got past this error by reinstalling the su file twice. In my case I had to keep reinstalling it and it finally worked after the fourth time. If you're getting this then just keep trying and eventually it will take.