EPIC or EVO?

Search This thread

coolkams03

Aug 20, 2010
This might help some to decide. I am one of them. I am definitely moving to Sprint for the low cost plus the 4G service. This will also be my first smart phone. My options are limited to EVO and EPIC and I am sure there are many out there l...ike me. I just created a list for myself. Have not decided anything yet though. ...This again is based on my observation of both these phones.

UI: EVO
Camera Picture Quality: EVO
Widgets: EVO
Screen Size: EVO
Front Cam: EVO
HDMI: EVO
Kick Stand: EVO
Size: EVO
FM: EVO
HotSpot: EVO
Price: EVO

Display: EPIC
Video Capture: EPIC (EVO may be better with 2.2 update)
HW Keyboard: EPIC
Games: EPIC

Processor::
For Day to Day Use: EVO (Arguable-Hummingbird is fast but for day to day it is hardly noticeable. Sense UI adds more to this than the processor)
For Games: EPIC

DLNA::
EPIC: Inbuilt
EVO: 3rd Party - iMediaShare (google it)

HDMI::
EVO: InBuilt
EPIC: miniUSB to HDMI cable (not confirmed yet)

Battery Life: Not sure (may be EPIC)

hydralisk

Jul 8, 2010
www.whoisjimothy.com
For Day to Day Use: EVO (Arguable-Hummingbird is fast but for day to day it is hardly noticeable. Sense UI adds more to this than the processor)

EVO? For day to day use? How do you figure? Show me anything that performs better on the EVO than the Epic. And don't you dare show me benchmarks.

Home screens - Epic (2.1) faster than EVO (2.2)
Browser - faster on the Epic (panning and zooming)
Games - faster on the Epic

From what I've seen of the browser on the Epic, it's faster than my EVO with CM6.

Both phones have a front cam.... I wouldn't really say the EVO's is better than the Epic's. I think they're exactly the same.

The rest is really a matter of preference though. I'll be getting the Epic.

ls3mach

Apr 4, 2006
EVO? For day to day use? How do you figure? Show me anything that performs better on the EVO than the Epic. And don't you dare show me benchmarks.

From what I've seen of the browser on the Epic, it's faster than my EVO with CM6.

Both phones have a front cam.... I wouldn't really say the EVO's is better than the Epic's. I think they're exactly the same.

If by exactly the same you mean one is VGA (640x480) and the other is SXGA (1280x1024) then yes they are exactly the same.

Regarding the processor, I never notice any lag on my EVO, I think that is what he means. Also something I note, that is a personal preference, I like HTC devices better than Samsung.

gTen

Feb 16, 2008
There are a few mistakes here so let me correct them

This might help some to decide. I am one of them. I am definitely moving to Sprint for the low cost plus the 4G service. This will also be my first smart phone. My options are limited to EVO and EPIC and I am sure there are many out there l...ike me. I just created a list for myself. Have not decided anything yet though. ...This again is based on my observation of both these phones.

UI: EVO If you are used to Sense UI but those not used to it may not feel that way
Camera Picture Quality: EVO ahm..thats flat wrong..the 5mp on the Epic is A LOT better then the 8mp on the EVO...
Widgets: EVO Most widgets belong neither to senseui nor touchwiz but standard android..and these work on both
Screen Size: EVO This is again preference..for some people 4.3 is too big..but then again for some 4 is too big
Front Cam: EVO This makes no difference..if your video calling to another cell phone you would see 0 difference between VGA and 1.3mp
HDMI: EVO There is an HDMI on the Epic via the microusb..and this should go to the Epic just cause it doesn't cause an 30FPS limit
Kick Stand: EVO ok...
Size: EVO Ahm..why mention this twice?
FM: EVO The Epic should have FM but its probably disabled..that said did the EVO FM even work properly?
HotSpot: EVO They both do hotspot
Price: EVO ok...
OS: EVO (2.2) Epic will most likely get Froyo in 30 days

Display: EPIC
Video Capture: EPIC (EVO may be better with 2.2 update)
HW Keyboard: EPIC
Games: EPIC

For Day to Day Use: EVO (Arguable-Hummingbird is fast but for day to day it is hardly noticeable. Sense UI adds more to this than the processor) so why are you giving this to the EVO? what does UI have to do with the processor? I hope you aren't serious here...

DLNA::
EPIC: Inbuilt
EVO: 3rd Party - iMediaShare (google it)

HDMI::
EVO: InBuilt
EPIC: miniUSB to HDMI cable (not confirmed yet) its microusb and it is confirmed

Battery Life: Not sure (may be EPIC)

Now things you are missing is Epic has bluetooth 3.0, hardware video decode with support for divx/xvid, 6 axis g-sensor...you also forgot to mention that Epic would play flash better...

May 23, 2010
Now things you are missing is Epic has bluetooth 3.0, hardware video decode with support for divx/xvid, 6 axis g-sensor...you also forgot to mention that Epic would play flash better...

He didnt Forget anything. He's knows damn well how much better the Epic is over Evo. He's just being a fanboy coz he's stuck with what he has and trying to convince himself that what he has is ''better''. My brother did that when he was stuck with his nexus. Cant you ppl be happy that they are both on sprint...

coolkams03

Aug 20, 2010
I am not a fanboy. As I said in my post above, this will be my first smartphone. I appreciate the arguments made. It will help me choose the better device. I have already reserved my EPIC. It is just that I am still in doubt which I would prefer. Thanks again for the replies.

aim1126

Nov 9, 2009
Btw the 5 megaoixel camera in the epic takes way better pictures and records better video than the 8 megapixel camera. Also the hummingbird processor uses less battery thatn the snapdragon processor so day to day use, epic wins

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

keebler021

Jan 27, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Having messed with both (but owning an Evo) I'll stick with my current phone. The screen is gorgeous, and the camera is actually better than the Evo's. On the other hand, the screen is less responsive than the Evo's, especially the capacitive buttons at the bottom, and the build quality is just...lacking. It feels plastic-y, whereas the Evo has a slightly heavier and sturdier feel to it. Also, from a personal aesthetics stand point, Sense is infinitely more attractive than TouchWiz, and more useful to boot, though that's more opinion than anything.
Either way you'll be getting a good phone, but as for me, I'll stick with my Evo :)

gTen

Feb 16, 2008
Having messed with both (but owning an Evo) I'll stick with my current phone. The screen is gorgeous, and the camera is actually better than the Evo's. On the other hand, the screen is less responsive than the Evo's, especially the capacitive buttons at the bottom, and the build quality is just...lacking. It feels plastic-y, whereas the Evo has a slightly heavier and sturdier feel to it. Also, from a personal aesthetics stand point, Sense is infinitely more attractive than TouchWiz, and more useful to boot, though that's more opinion than anything.
Either way you'll be getting a good phone, but as for me, I'll stick with my Evo :)

Ahm...that shouldn't be..the touch sensor in the screen is the same on the EVO and the EPIC..so if you actually tried both and there was a responsiveness issue then it must be a software thing...though this is the first time I'm hearing about the buttons..the reviews said that the buttons were much better then on the vibrant and captivate and responded instantly...

And lastly build quality is better on the Epic then the EVO 100%..if you take the EVO apart there are a lot of empty space and extra plastic for no reason..take apart a galaxy S phone and nothing is wasted inside...I read in another forum its so good that they dropped their phone in a puddle of water for an hour and no water got through to the device so it turned on fine (don't try it at home though)..it feels "plastic-y" because they made it like that on purpose so that its very light..which it is..either way once you put a case on it, that will change either way..

Aridon

May 14, 2007
I have an evo.

You absolutely have to root and install a custom rom if you want high performance. In fact the Epic blows the stock evo's benchmarks out of the water. Once the Epic gets froyo it won't even be close.

Evo camera is a joke.

FPS cap anyone? I'm so tired of ****ing with evo switch and trying to find the optimal performance.

Different hardware? Some evo's can see 2 multi touch points, some 5, some 3... HTC threw together whatever hand me down hardware they had left in stock. Different screens, different sensors etc..

shep211

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2007
Layton, Ut

I will take you up on that. Have stovk captivate and evo right here. Evo with better benchmarks and performs better in day to day use. will post video in a few.

gTen

Feb 16, 2008
I will take you up on that. Have stovk captivate and evo right here. Evo with better benchmarks and performs better in day to day use. will post video in a few.

Everyone knows the captivate has those hiccups here and there..but from what reviewers said those have been fixed...even those that hated Touchwiz UI after trying it on the Epic said its like a completely different..they didnt believe it so much they double checked their captivates to make sure they aren't going senile...either way when people walk into a Sprint store on the 31st both should be there side by side to test on...

hydralisk

Jul 8, 2010
www.whoisjimothy.com
I'm sorry. I believe I said the Epic, not the captivate. And I also said I don't care about benchmarks. I want to see a video showing the EVO browser performing better than the Epic's. Or Sense being smoother than TW. Or Launcher Pro faster on the EVO than the EPIC. Or ANY game running better on the EVO.

If you can't show me any of those, I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:

shep211

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2007
Layton, Ut
I'm sorry. I believe I said the Epic, not the captivate. And I also said I don't care about benchmarks. I want to see a video showing the EVO browser performing better than the Epic's. Or Sense being smoother than TW. Or Launcher Pro faster on the EVO than the EPIC. Or ANY game running better on the EVO.

If you can't show me any of those, I don't care.

I said I would post both benchmarks and videos of apps/browser but the captivate wins 0. You know epic/captivate have same cpu, gpu and file system and the benchmark the same right? Yes touch wiz may be faster due to 2.5 version but I bet they load apps around the same time since there benchmarks are the same. If the file system was working right it would have a higher score then the droid x for sure since the cpu & gpu are faster. We have no proof yet the epics faster in day to day use then any other galaxy s phone. I know you dont like benchmarks but they show correct results when testing speed opening apps vs benchmark score.

stock captiavte

1.2 ghz Captivate with lag fix(captiavte on top with no i\o test on the left)

Evo vs stock captivate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKsAUR61ByM

Evo vs 1.2 ghz Captivate with I9000 rom and fastest ext 2 internal partition lag fix(should be faster then any stock sgs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji49qFNxC4c

Last edited:

gTen

Feb 16, 2008
I said I would post both benchmarks and videos of apps/browser but the captivate wins 0. You know epic/captivate have same cpu, gpu and file system and the benchmark the same right? Yes touch wiz may be faster due to 2.5 version but I bet they load apps around the same time since there benchmarks are the same. If the file system was working right it would have a higher score then the droid x for sure since the cpu & gpu are faster. We have no proof yet the epics faster in day to day use then any other galaxy s phone. I know you dont like benchmarks but they show correct results when testing speed opening apps vs benchmark score.

On the benchmark the EVO is running Android 2.2 right? and the captivate is running 2.1 and not running lag fix?

And as for the video..the speed of the launching of apps was pretty much the same on the captivate and evo :/

aim1126

Nov 9, 2009

Just because it doesn't beat the droid on quadrant doesn't mean that's there's something wrong with the file system. The cpu and gpu part of the benchmark beat the droids x and the io part beats the evo and nexus one on 2.1. So basically youre saying that there's something wrong with every phone because none of them beat the droid x on the io benchmark. The io part of the quadrant benchmark is severely flawed

shep211

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2007
Layton, Ut
Just because it doesn't beat the droid on quadrant doesn't mean that's there's something wrong with the file system. The cpu and gpu part of the benchmark beat the droids x and the io part beats the evo and nexus one on 2.1. So basically youre saying that there's something wrong with every phone because none of them beat the droid x on the io benchmark. The io part of the quadrant benchmark is severely flawed

Droid x benchmarks and performs faster. Why would the sgs be slower with faster cpu & gpu? Any sgs should kill the droid in benchmarks and day to day use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQJ-3a96oM

Last edited:

shep211

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2007
Layton, Ut
On the benchmark the EVO is running Android 2.2 right? and the captivate is running 2.1 and not running lag fix?

And as for the video..the speed of the launching of apps was pretty much the same on the captivate and evo :/

I was thinking of retesting with lag fix but the captivate will be running faster then the epic so it really wouldn't be a fair test. Since it benchmarks the same as the captivate stock rom I thought that would be a good test. The epic may be a little faster stock then the captivate but it cant be that much more since they benchmark the same. I can see a big difference in launching apps. Look at the browser test. The captivate is loading mobile version secs behind the evo running full version with flash. The camera, market & gallery is secs behind as well.

Last edited:

aim1126

Nov 9, 2009
Droid x benchmarks and performs faster. Why would the sgs be slower with faster cpu & gpu? Any sgs should kill the droid in benchmarks and day to day use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQJ-3a96oM

The droid x benchmarks faster only on the io test. It actual benchmarks fairly poorly in the 3d test. The epic benchmarks faster in the io part than any other phone besides the droid x. Quadrant is flawed. Even cyanogen proved it

hydralisk

Jul 8, 2010
www.whoisjimothy.com
I was thinking of retesting with lag fix but the captivate will be running faster then the epic so it really wouldn't be a fair test. Since it benchmarks the same as the captivate stock rom I thought that would be a good test. The epic may be a little faster stock then the captivate but it cant be that much more since they benchmark the same. I can see a big difference in launching apps. Look at the browser test. The captivate is loading mobile version secs behind the evo running full version with flash. The camera, market & gallery is secs behind as well.

It's been stated that the Epic does not have the lag problem. The delay you're seeing in apps loading (and closing from what I could see in the video) were not seen in the Epic videos. Everything loaded instantly. The captivate without the lag fix is obviously using the flawed file system that slows things down. A lot.

Again, you're using benchmarks to show every day use when people don't use benchmarks every day. We also don't have the Epic to show next to an EVO, so that video doesn't belong in this thread. They've had more time to tweak\fix the Epic and that has shown in its videos. Hopefully this is the last time we'll see a captivate\vibrant video in these forums.

Last edited: