[APP-Kernels] Kernel Manager released!

Search This thread

djevac

Dec 26, 2010
Great but not when youre running Savaged-Zen

Its such a great app. The only issue is that it would not let me d/l and flash because I'm running Savaged-Zen. Fix that and you got a winner

aka.karasawa

Jan 18, 2011
Yes I am. Currently running 1.0.4. I flashed CM7 and it works just fine, but when I switched back to warm I still ran into the same issue. I have submitted the force close information for the lastest version.

Thank you for staying on top of this.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Its such a great app. The only issue is that it would not let me d/l and flash because I'm running Savaged-Zen. Fix that and you got a winner

This is actually a specific issue with Savaged-Zen kernels only, not Kernel Manager. Savaged-Zen are aware of it, and were supposed to be working on a fix, may want to check with them as to status.

mrfyisms

Jan 19, 2011
Houston
Hmm, I use CM7 and it works fine for me... what is broken for you?

Went into recovery and kept looping (like several others were reporting) and had to flash a nandroid backup. Was trying to flash Tiamat_evo. What kernel would you recommend for best battery life? My workday is 10 hours minimum and i usually listen to music all day.

mrfyisms

Jan 19, 2011
Houston

mrfyisms

Jan 19, 2011
Houston
Not getting any force closes (CM7 Final), but when I tried to flash Tiamat 3.3.7, just hung on the white screen. I have it set to wipe cache and dalvik, but I pulled the battery and wiped them again, same thing. Wiped them a 3rd time and manually flashed the kernel, same thing. Ended up just restoring my backup and flashing it recovery.

This was on 1.0.3.

This person also having same issue. Are you using the SD card speed fix?

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
OK. I was finally able to use this to download a Tiamat update. It worked, but not flawlessly, on the latest MIUI update.

First thing: Well, I was a dumbass and forgot to connect to any sort of data network. When I started the app, it threw a null pointer exception, which confused me, because I didn't realize I wasn't connected to a network. I thought something happened with the app until I tried opening the market to reinstall it. Basically, what I'm asking is, can you put in a notification that a network connection is unavailable instead of throwing an exception? That way, dumbasses like me don't get confused and think there's something wrong with your app.

Second: The first time I chose to download and flash the kernel, the Downloading Kernel notification popped up, but it hung at 0% for several minutes. I closed and reopened the app, and it worked flawlessly. My concern is, some people might not give the app a second chance. If I find a way to duplicate this, I'll grab a logcat. I doubt many people will be seeing this bug, though.

Overall, this is a great app. It just needs to be slightly idiot-proofed for the forgetful types. I will be buying the paid version tonight. Thank you very much, Shinzul.

Mr.Shroom

Jul 12, 2010
San Deigo, CA
OK. I was finally able to use this to download a Tiamat update. It worked, but not flawlessly, on the latest MIUI update.

First thing: Well, I was a dumbass and forgot to connect to any sort of data network. When I started the app, it threw a null pointer exception, which confused me, because I didn't realize I wasn't connected to a network. I thought something happened with the app until I tried opening the market to reinstall it. Basically, what I'm asking is, can you put in a notification that a network connection is unavailable instead of throwing an exception? That way, dumbasses like me don't get confused and think there's something wrong with your app.

Second: The first time I chose to download and flash the kernel, the Downloading Kernel notification popped up, but it hung at 0% for several minutes. I closed and reopened the app, and it worked flawlessly. My concern is, some people might not give the app a second chance. If I find a way to duplicate this, I'll grab a logcat. I doubt many people will be seeing this bug, though.

Overall, this is a great app. It just needs to be slightly idiot-proofed for the forgetful types. I will be buying the paid version tonight. Thank you very much, Shinzul.

I have had the second issue as well, but was unable to do it twice. it doesn't seem to be a big issue. Thank you.

mrfyisms

Jan 19, 2011
Houston
Hi, I am a Glacier Kernel dev. Shinzul posted the same Kernel App in many different forums. I wanted to wait a bit for the App to mature a bit before I submit my kernels for his App to distribute (which I have no issues at all people making money from their App). But then instead of waiting for my decisions, he instead kanged my kernels uploaded to his own site without my permission or even a courtesy PM...

Here's the post I where I said I will wait a bit because of issues raised by the users of my kernels:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12940543&postcount=11

Here's what he ended up doing without my permission:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12981258&postcount=26

Make your own judgment...

Wow, I thought I read that you have to submit your kernels for them to be included in the app. People were complaining because their favorite kernels weren't included and he said, "tell the dev to submit it." Can't we all just get along.

Shinzul

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 30, 2010
Virginia
Wow, I thought I read that you have to submit your kernels for them to be included in the app. People were complaining because their favorite kernels weren't included and he said, "tell the dev to submit it." Can't we all just get along.

Exactly... users were complaining that there weren't kernels available, so I posted 2 so that users could have some use for their particular device.

I don't understand what the big deal is tbh.

Reactions: Semantics

algirnavi451

Dec 17, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I tried running this App and I got an issue.

I was running the CM40 nightly with the stock kernel and tried flashing the Tiamat Kernel. After downloading and trying to install I got a message saying not enough memory I should restart and try again. After I restarted I ended up getting a bootloader screen. Restarted again, same screen. Went into recovery and rebooted from there nothing. Recovery again and flashed SZ 1.1.0 Kernel that i had on my SD card and that didnt work, bootloader again...Trying to reinstall CM7 zip that I have and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thoughts? Anybody else see this?

Edit: nvm after updating to 1.1.0 of the app, the problem seems to be fixed

Last edited:

mrfyisms

Jan 19, 2011
Houston
Yes we were all having the same problem before...

Well I tried again after update and it installed but market kept force closing while it was restoring apps then com.android.phone and .system kept force closing and I had to restore from recovery again. Is this an app issue or a kernel issue because the kernel forum thread has been pretty active lately too.

ModXMV

Jul 2, 2010
I tried running this App and I got an issue.

I was running the CM40 nightly with the stock kernel and tried flashing the Tiamat Kernel. After downloading and trying to install I got a message saying not enough memory I should restart and try again. After I restarted I ended up getting a bootloader screen. Restarted again, same screen. Went into recovery and rebooted from there nothing. Recovery again and flashed SZ 1.1.0 Kernel that i had on my SD card and that didnt work, bootloader again...Trying to reinstall CM7 zip that I have and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thoughts? Anybody else see this?

Edit: nvm after updating to 1.1.0 of the app, the problem seems to be fixed

This happens to me and I have to Nandroid back. I am still having the issues after the newest update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel Manager released! Lite (free): http://tinyw.in/0i8, Pro (cost): Available in the Market...ENJOY!

Hey everyone! Team Win is back again, this time with a new app with a very simple but ambitious goal: create a place where all kernel developers can submit kernels easily and reach a much wider audience with ease.

The app currently does this:

1) Downloads a kernel from our fast and stable teamwin server
    2) Unzips the relevant files (modules included)
    3) Flashes the kernel
    4) Installs the kernel modules
    5) Clears cache/dalvik-cache
    6) Reboots to apply the changes.

This entire process takes less than a minute, generally, (depending on download speeds of course :)), and it is extremely simple for end-users to find a kernel, filter by kernel features (BFS, CFS, HAVS, SBC, etc) download/install kernels, and submit ratings for their favorite kernels.

If you use IRC, join us in freenode in #kernel-manager!

Submitting a kernel to Kernel Manager is totally free and we even provide hosting for you! Right now I'm looking for kernel developers to submit kernels to start populating the app. Submitting kernels is easy!

THE LINK IS FOR KERNEL DEVELOPERS SPECIFICALLY! Go to http://kernels.teamw.in and register for an account! Once it's approved, you can easily enter new kernels, which immediately show up in the app. The app will be released in the market, and there will be a free+ad supported version, and a for-cost version that removes the ads.

Right now, we have a specific list of supported phones, but plan to add every nand-unlocked phone as soon as possible. (There are a lot of variables to account for on multiple devices to make sure the process works :))

Please feel free to provide me with any feedback you have, or feature requests in order to make this a great tool for all of android to utilize!

wOLuF.png

Cvuyp.png

GVORg.png
    I have a question, this is to be a paid app?

What would be the kernel developers motivation for helping you to profit from their kernel work? If not a paid application please disregard.

If you read the OP, there will be an ad-supported free version and an ad-free paid version.

Our hope is kernel developers will see this as a way to get their kernels to a wide audience as well as receive comprehensive feedback from the users directly on our management interface.

Finally, hosting for the kernels through kernel manager as well as use of our interface is free to the developer.

Finally finally, I would really hope that the kernel developers would understand that TeamWin's goals have always been to advance development for the community as a whole, as clearly evidenced by Wimax in Cyanogenmod and our FREE HDMwIn mirroring solution (for the Evo).
    Thank you very much kind sir! Not a big deal as everything was smooth sailing after booting into recovery. Gotta love those nandroids. :D

If anyone was having issues with the "out of disk space" bug, please try the latest market version (1.2.0). It fixes this issue!
    Cool. But you can only flash between two kernels, or can you be presented with a list like Grub?

There will be a list, as long as kernel devs upload their kernels.

have any bites on devs posting their kernels yet?

We have some, but you may want to check with your favorite kernel devs and encourage their participation :)

uhh. I cant find a download link for this??J

It's not out yet, stay tuned.

Does this app give links of the kernel sources (hosted by developers) ?

Otherwise, it breaks the GPL license and moderators may lock this thread :/

Kernel devs are required to submit a link to their source with their binary for Kernel Manager, it will be made available to the users.
    Don't know if it has been asked in the thread already but is there anyway to backup your current kernel before you flash the new one. That way you could roll back to your old kernel easily. Great app and yes I bought the pro version.

This is slated to be a Pro feature at some point soon(tm).