Hide status bar due to potential screen burn in issue

Search This thread

choikugi

Jun 24, 2010
Hi

I am a little worried about burn in issue. So i would like to hide status bar to minimize it. I have heard some galaxy s2 users have this issue.

I tried several launchers and they only hide status bar on launcher screens. When I use application it does not hide it.

I am wondering if there is any way I can hide status bar all the time.
Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Spartan2x

Mar 9, 2008
Baltimore, Md
Burn in? Wow, it's been a few years since I have heard that term! I see no reason why the Galaxy Note, or the S2 for that matter should ever have a burn in issue...the technology just does not allow that to happen...

On another not, the Note and the S2 have different screens. The S2 uses a Super AMOLED Plus RGB, while the Note used a Super AMOLED Pentile.

Viamonte

May 31, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Unless you're using your Note as a primary display for your desktop and leaving it on 20 hours a day, I don't think there's much of a chance of burning in...

xAnimal5

Oct 14, 2011
Unless you're gonna contantly use your Note for 5+ years, don't worry about it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

inurb

Nov 18, 2008
xdaforums.com
Burn in? Wow, it's been a few years since I have heard that term! I see no reason why the Galaxy Note, or the S2 for that matter should ever have a burn in issue...the technology just does not allow that to happen...

On another not, the Note and the S2 have different screens. The S2 uses a Super AMOLED Plus RGB, while the Note used a Super AMOLED Pentile.

This wins silliest post of the week.

AmoLED's are notorious for burning wearing out especially blues and greens. Look at any galaxy S gt-i9000 that have been used for more than 4-6 months and you can clearly see the wearing out of the led's where the notification bar is static.

Static images on an amoled screen eventually wear out the pixels fading them out. This is a known fact and I'm reminded of it every time I look at my galaxy s.

inurb

Nov 18, 2008
xdaforums.com
regarding the OP's question. LauncherPro among other 3rd party launchers only allow hiding of the notification bar on the home screen. There are several google help forum posts asking google to implement a setting that would allow you to hide the notification bar in apps. The official request was denied by google citing that the notification bar is an integral part of the android os and therefore should be constant throughout apps. Now there are apps that require full screen pixel width like angry birds and such but that is only if the developer codes the app to NOT show the notification bar.

Bottom line its up to developer to include a hide notification bar setting as google will not cook it into the OS as an option.

Hope this helps.

Here is the official google response from an android dev http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9063

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: choikugi

choikugi

Jun 24, 2010
Thank you inurb. Now I understand why I cannot hide status bar.

Thank you again.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

ragin

Dec 17, 2007
Hubli
ADW Launcher has a feature that hides the notification bar when you swipe UP on the screen. Apart from that, if we can change the fonts on a regular basis, we might avoid this issue.

rxpaul

Jul 13, 2009
Is the process of burn-in similar to that on Plasma TV screens?? Then the solutions (or things to avoid) would be the same as well for SuperAMOLEDs. There wouldn't be any apps available that could facilitate pixel shifting, would there??
I come from the land of LCD, so I'm terrified of any possibility of burn-in on the new shiny monster!

BTW, Go Launcher EX also has the option of hiding the notification bar (and the dock menus as well!)

snowman81

May 31, 2007
I've had the PM from the clock on the status bar burned into my Samsung Captivate's screen....as well as the digits from the clock but they're less defined.

CGI_Ram

Aug 11, 2010
Ontario
If you are like me, you use the device 50% portrait and 50% landscape.

Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate the burn in concern?

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I had the Wave/S1/S2 all of them had this "Burn-in" or rather burn out issue. The Galaxy S2 had the shortest time of only 2 months of use while the Samsung Wave took about 9 months and the S1 about 4. Only the "M" sumbol and the battery indicator burned in though.

KenAdams82

Dec 1, 2011
Hi All,
came across this thread when looking for a solution for SGS1.
it seems that Burn in is indeed a problem for AMOLED screens.
in my situation, I've found a burn cause by Waze (of course, any app that would leave the screen on would cause it).
sadly enough, my phone is only 6 months old and I use Waze ~30 min. a day - not much for a burn you think? wrong!
for now, i've set Waze to hide the point bar and the zoom control, but still many objects on the screen are static - including the notification bar.

does anyone has a good solution?

Reactions: airwater9

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
I'm wondering if "burn-in" has to partially do with the environment the phone is being used in (the other being reason being a bad batch). For example, tropical (ie. "hot") environments may cause screen issues sooner because the screen can't cope with the heat?

I had my S2 for about 7 months before getting the Note and the screen was on around 40-50 minutes a day. Didn't notice any burn-in during the entire time. I always kept the phone's screen out of direct sunlight, and it was winter/autumn during the time I was using my S2.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
I saw an S2 got a burn in within 2 months for the lock screen. =)

It's not just burn-in, I believe it's a combination of the burn-in and the specific colors in the LEDs dimming (i.e., losing their initial brightness).

It's best to change wallpapers every so often to make sure that the LED colors are wearing out evenly. If not, over time, you'll get weird tints in parts of the screen due to a dimming of certain colors, etc.

Raptor1956

Nov 14, 2011
This burn in issue is very troubling to me and may force me to reevaluate my intention of getting the Note. I just Googled AMOLED and the Wikipedia article seems to imply the organic material degrades over time and I'm thinking this is the cause of the so called burn in issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

The other thing it mentions is the dramatic difference in power the display uses depending on the colors being displayed with black letter on a white background eating more than 4X the power of white letters on a black background.

This bothers me not just because I was planning to get the Note but I was also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. If a phone has problems with burn in problems in as little as half a year how long before a tab with an AMOLED/SAMOLED display has the burn in issue.

On the upside, knowing that switching the colors can greatly reduce battery drain is good to know...

Brian

Reactions: airwater9

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Yup, this is why I still prefer standard LCD currently, or Super LCD. Sure, the blacks aren't blacks, but at least the tech is tried and true. =)

This burn in issue is very troubling to me and may force me to reevaluate my intention of getting the Note. I just Googled AMOLED and the Wikipedia article seems to imply the organic material degrades over time and I'm thinking this is the cause of the so called burn in issue.

The other thing it mentions is the dramatic difference in power the display uses depending on the colors being displayed with black letter on a white background eating more than 4X the power of white letters on a black background.

This bothers me not just because I was planning to get the Note but I was also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. If a phone has problems with burn in problems in as little as half a year how long before a tab with an AMOLED/SAMOLED display has the burn in issue.

On the upside, knowing that switching the colors can greatly reduce battery drain is good to know...

Brian

straxusii

May 8, 2011
Hardly a fix but I use Opera for web browsing so the status bar is hidden for me (and full screen browsing is lovely :D)

Spartan2x

Mar 9, 2008
Baltimore, Md

AmoLED's are notorious for burning wearing out especially blues and greens. Look at any galaxy S gt-i9000 that have been used for more than 4-6 months and you can clearly see the wearing out of the led's where the notification bar is static.

Static images on an amoled screen eventually wear out the pixels fading them out. This is a known fact and I'm reminded of it every time I look at my galaxy s.

It's something you "Tech guys" seam to leave out when you do your iPhone vs Android discussions, I have never read up about it anywhere. You would think such a glaring problem with be talked about more. I'll have to look into it more now that I am waiting on the White Note from hantec.(coming from the iPhone 4 that I have had for 18 months now with no issues other then the inferiority complex in screen size)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's something you "Tech guys" seam to leave out when you do your iPhone vs Android discussions, I have never read up about it anywhere. You would think such a glaring problem with be talked about more. I'll have to look into it more now that I am waiting on the White Note from hantec.(coming from the iPhone 4 that I have had for 18 months now with no issues other then the inferiority complex in screen size)
    regarding the OP's question. LauncherPro among other 3rd party launchers only allow hiding of the notification bar on the home screen. There are several google help forum posts asking google to implement a setting that would allow you to hide the notification bar in apps. The official request was denied by google citing that the notification bar is an integral part of the android os and therefore should be constant throughout apps. Now there are apps that require full screen pixel width like angry birds and such but that is only if the developer codes the app to NOT show the notification bar.

Bottom line its up to developer to include a hide notification bar setting as google will not cook it into the OS as an option.

Hope this helps.

Here is the official google response from an android dev http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9063

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
    Hi All,
    came across this thread when looking for a solution for SGS1.
    it seems that Burn in is indeed a problem for AMOLED screens.
    in my situation, I've found a burn cause by Waze (of course, any app that would leave the screen on would cause it).
    sadly enough, my phone is only 6 months old and I use Waze ~30 min. a day - not much for a burn you think? wrong!
    for now, i've set Waze to hide the point bar and the zoom control, but still many objects on the screen are static - including the notification bar.

does anyone has a good solution?

Brian
    Just use things like Launcher Pro to hide the notification bar and avoid using single-colored wallpapers (in both the lock screen and home area). And switch wallpapers every week or so? And lastly, make sure the phone's brightness isn't the utter most maximum. THe dimmer you can keep it, the longer these AMOLEDs will last with respect to being resistant towards burn ins and specific color dimmings.

This would be the extreme if you really wanted to wear out the LEDs evenly over time. I personally find it a little frustrating that you need to do this for anyone serious about keeping the phone for 3 years or more, etc. I was honestly so surprised to hear and see for myself that an international Galaxy S2 got a lockscreen burn in WITHIN 2 months of purchasing the phone. Im guessing the user's high brightness and long screen time-out might have something to do with it in this scenario.