HTC Incredible 4G LTE to have unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

slacka-vt

Nov 17, 2009
Southern Vermont
I posted this in the Inc2 forum before I realized there was a Inc4G forum. . .

Well, I'm sold. Those are the two magic words I needed to hear. Can't wait for that bad boy.

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/05/featured-verizon-wireless-turns-down-htcs-one-series-in-favor-of-droid-incredible-4g-lte.html

Even though the incredible 4G seems to have a few things that it lacks compared to the One X, it does have an unlocked bootloader which the One X does not. It seems that there was quite following of fans that wouldn’t have it any other way. This small group of android nerds is extremely passionate about the capability to tweak and change their devices. For those of you that are unfamiliar with what an unlocked bootloader does, it allows you somewhat endless possibilities to customize the firmware (or OS) on your device. Which can enhance its user experience, looks, features and the like. This move by HTC to keep the bootloader unlocked is because HTC says they fully support the ability to keep things open and customizable.

HTC is fully committed to the bootloader unlocking program and that Verizon is also completely behind it. Ultimately leading to its choice to make the incredible 4G LTE with this feature. While Verizon is behind the idea now. They could of course change their mind at any time.

werdna87

Apr 9, 2011
Mass
Seems more like HTC will let the bootloader be unlocked via their site. That's not the unlock you are used to for your inc2

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
I'll just repost my question from the Dinc2 forum, in case someone watching it here wants to chip in their thoughts:

But still, the fact remains that it will be unlocked by HTC's online unlock tool. Which does not grant S-OFF. Granted that this is better than nothing, but I really want to know how much can be done without S-OFF. I mean, S-OFF was a huge thing for rezound, which recently got it. And I heard, until S-OFF was achieved, AOSP ROMs were impossible on Rezound. So, how much can be done by simply unlocking it by HTC's tool and not getting S-OFF? What is the difference between unlocked bootloader with S-ON (i.e. HTC's unlock method) and unlocked Bootloader via S-OFF like I did for the Dinc2? That is my basic question.

werdna87

Apr 9, 2011
Mass
I'll just repost my question from the Dinc2 forum, in case someone watching it here wants to chip in their thoughts:

But still, the fact remains that it will be unlocked by HTC's online unlock tool. Which does not grant S-OFF. Granted that this is better than nothing, but I really want to know how much can be done without S-OFF. I mean, S-OFF was a huge thing for rezound, which recently got it. And I heard, until S-OFF was achieved, AOSP ROMs were impossible on Rezound. So, how much can be done by simply unlocking it by HTC's tool and not getting S-OFF? What is the difference between unlocked bootloader with S-ON (i.e. HTC's unlock method) and unlocked Bootloader via S-OFF like I did for the Dinc2? That is my basic question.

You sir, have been misinformed. S-off on the rebound WAS a great achievement but has nothing to do with aosp. The problem with that is the RIL which will be an issue for the inc4g also.
Also, an unlocked bootloader is not all the different from s-off but does have so.e huge problems like nit being able to downgrade easily if you accidentally run an RUU that updates the baseband. It also give issues with version numbers if leaks are released but that issue has been fixed. Kernels can not be flashed via recovery and you have to lock the bootloader whenever you want to run an RUU. I may be forgetting some other differences but the last and IMO biggest is that once you unlock, it will always say re-locked at the top which COULD cause warranty issues even though it has nit for anyone so far.

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
According to that article. It says it won't have the S4 cpu in it.

I read it has a S4 but doesn't, so I'm like huh?
So S3.5?

Anyway, maybe the method that got Rezound users like myself S-OFF can get I4GLTE users theirs, such a clever method at that.

the official annoucement from vzw and htc said it was a s4 chip

its just not the same exact chip as the one s or one x

i gave me best guess on the actual chip here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26102928&postcount=41

According to that article. It says it won't have the S4 cpu in it.

I read it has a S4 but doesn't, so I'm like huh?
So S3.5?

Anyway, maybe the method that got Rezound users like myself S-OFF can get I4GLTE users theirs, such a clever method at that.

the official annoucement from vzw and htc said it was a s4 chip

its just not the same exact chip as the one s or one x

i gave me best guess on the actual chip here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26102928&postcount=41

To graymonkey44, you misinterpreted the article. As nitsuj17 said, they were saying that it's not the same chip. It's still an S4.

To nitsuj17, it definitely won't have the msm 8930 that you suspected, since that has the Adreno 305 GPU which won't even be released until Q3

So the exact chip is still a little fuzzy. The only S4 chip that really seems to match is the 8960, but that doesn't come in 1.2GHz and an HTC rep has said it's not underclocked. So it seems like the possibilities are:
  • It's the 1.2GHz 8930 featuring the faster Adreno 305 GPU that wont be released until Q3
  • Verizon/HTC somehow, and for reasons unknown, managed to get Qualcomm to custom make a special 1.2GHz S4 with the Adreno 225 GPU and LTE.
  • The HTC rep that said it's not underclocked was either lying or mistaken, and it is in fact the 8960 underclocked to 1.2GHz.
Personally, I think that last one is the most plausible, but who knows.

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
To graymonkey44, you misinterpreted the article. As nitsuj17 said, they were saying that it's not the same chip. It's still an S4.

To nitsuj17, it definitely won't have the msm 8930 that you suspected, since that has the Adreno 305 GPU which won't even be released until Q3

So the exact chip is still a little fuzzy. The only S4 chip that really seems to match is the 8960, but that doesn't come in 1.2GHz and an HTC rep has said it's not underclocked. So it seems like the possibilities are:
  • It's the 1.2GHz 8930 featuring the faster Adreno 305 GPU that wont be released until Q3
  • Verizon/HTC somehow, and for reasons unknown, managed to get Qualcomm to custom make a special 1.2GHz S4 with the Adreno 225 GPU and LTE.
  • The HTC rep that said it's not underclocked was either lying or mistaken, and it is in fact the 8960 underclocked to 1.2GHz.
Personally, I think that last one is the most plausible, but who knows.

Ooooh! If it is the last one, then we could potentially overclock it (kill battery life, of course :p) and get the same performance or even better than the One X due to the lower resolution!!! Oh! My God! I just had a nerdgasm!!! :p:D

werdna87

Apr 9, 2011
Mass
I can confirm it has a 220 gpu. Even underclass to what it is though it's very fast and smooth

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Benchmarks will tell the tale. There is currently no documentation stating what it has exactly.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the XDA app.

werdna87

Apr 9, 2011
Mass
Benchmarks will tell the tale. There is currently no documentation stating what it has exactly.

Well heres a benchmark for you to drool at

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337280008056.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337280008056.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 210

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Well, as per this link:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mo...rrier-gets-180-day-exclusivity-period_id28877

This score certainly isn't up to snuff with the One S. However, it is important to note that there is a 300MHz clock difference and the 3d scores are very similar. 1954 vs 2173, a gap like that might be influenced by clock speed. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it has the 225 just yet.

Edit: Actually it might be the 220 because the rezound scores very similarly.

Things just keep getting worse for this guy.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seems to work on HTC Hero, a bit laggy but could not find the framerate. Also i had trouble compiling the example myself, everything seems to compile ok, but dies with a SEGV when deployed.. Also the trunk seems to be for 1.6 and above, but the Quake 3 demo worlds on my Hero (1.5), is this demos released?

lol, Dude, I think you missed your thread by about a mile that way ------------>
    I posted this in the Inc2 forum before I realized there was a Inc4G forum. . .

Well, I'm sold. Those are the two magic words I needed to hear. Can't wait for that bad boy.

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/05/featured-verizon-wireless-turns-down-htcs-one-series-in-favor-of-droid-incredible-4g-lte.html

Even though the incredible 4G seems to have a few things that it lacks compared to the One X, it does have an unlocked bootloader which the One X does not. It seems that there was quite following of fans that wouldn’t have it any other way. This small group of android nerds is extremely passionate about the capability to tweak and change their devices. For those of you that are unfamiliar with what an unlocked bootloader does, it allows you somewhat endless possibilities to customize the firmware (or OS) on your device. Which can enhance its user experience, looks, features and the like. This move by HTC to keep the bootloader unlocked is because HTC says they fully support the ability to keep things open and customizable.

HTC is fully committed to the bootloader unlocking program and that Verizon is also completely behind it. Ultimately leading to its choice to make the incredible 4G LTE with this feature. While Verizon is behind the idea now. They could of course change their mind at any time.
    How do you know??? Are you a tester of the phone? Do you know anything else, such as when the phone will come out?

Can't say how I know but I would be VERY amazed if it doesn't release like that

I'm still trying to decide this or rezound ? I really like the rezound screen and speed . Which should I get?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

Rezound has a better screen and is .3" larger. The Inc4G has a nice screen too it's just not as good as the Rezound. The Inc4G is faster though. It has a S4 processor and will perform much better than the Rezound.
    Rezound has a better screen and is .3" larger. The Inc4G has a nice screen too it's just not as good as the Rezound. The Inc4G is faster though. It has a S4 processor and will perform much better than the Rezound.

It (the Inc 4G) is also thinner and lighter, will have much better battery life, will have a better camera (HW & SW combined), and has NFC and Bluetooth 4.0.

The display is pretty much the only reason to get a Rezound at this point. For some people, the 4" may just be a little too small. Some people might just want that nice high-ppi that the Rezound has. Otherwise, the Inc 4G is a better pick.

Getting back to Alton, he said he really likes the Rezound's screen, so maybe that's the best choice for him. Although, it may be important to ask what is the part of the Rezound's screen that he "really likes." If it's the size, then that pretty much is what it is. If 4" is just too small, then go with the Rezound. But if it's the screen quality that is what's drawing you to the Rezound, I'd probably hold off for now... wait for the Inc 4G to be released and see what you think of the display. It'd be a shame to compromise on pretty much every other aspect of the phone just to get the nice screen, and then find out when the Inc 4G is released that you can't really tell a difference (or at least enough of a difference to warrant the compromise). Just my opinion.