[SKIN SMS][06 Feb 10 UPDATE!]Beautify your standard WM SMS Thread! [All Res][WM6.1+]

Search This thread

Astronout

Jun 18, 2008
promosmsskins.jpg
headerrtfm.jpg

Well, sports, this is your fashion captain speaking

This particular thread by yxyn proved very promising with regard to the old ugly standard Windows Mobile threaded SMS window.

So here is a thread dedicated to skinning the default WM Conversation / Threaded SMS window.

Please, I urge you, read this post twice!

headerwhat.jpg

This heavy stuff enhances the standard WM Messaging window, making it look awesome!
First of all, and most notably, it adds a top bar with the receiver’s contact picture and his or her name.
This remains on top while scrolling through the messages.
Secondly, a bunch of images and a different colour scheme give it a new look.
Currently, there are several flavours to choose. Some of them are made by me, some belong to other passionate skinners.
Check it out below!

headerreq.jpg

Requirements:
Support for:
  • All devices and manufacturers
  • All resolutions

headersidee.jpg

• Fuzzy images on VGA+ resolutions
  • A contact picture is only displayed of the most recent message in the thread is from the other person (so, not you)
  • Double Scrollbars
  • After rotating the screen, text might realign itself to the left
  • Conversation with multiple recipients works, but the topbar might be slightly off.

headerinstall.jpg
  1. Enable Windows Mobile Threaded Messaging (If disabled: click here for a cab to enable it)
  2. Disable HTC Sense / Manila Messaging, so not the whole today plugin (if enabled, click here for Zenyee's cab)
  3. Download one of the cabs below (Be sure to take the right version!)
  4. Soft reset, or terminate tmail.exe
  5. Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated :p
Insufficient system permissions? --> Download & install sdkcerts

headerother.jpg

I am greatly indebted to yxyz who introduced me to the possibilities. My work is a corollary of his work.

Enjoy it!

Cheers

Astronout

Disclaimer: I am not responsible, bla bla bla
No, seriously, this stuff alters system files, which bears a certain risk at all times. It may unintentionally affect other applications or system business. Even though chances are slim to none, please back up your device before applying this tweak.

This skin on the web
XDA-Developers Front Page || Fuzemobility.com || WMPowerUser.com || YourMobileBlog.com || Noonski's Blog || Cebits.com || Mobilyz.com ||

Attachments

• SdkCerts.cab
    4.6 KB · Views: 8,518
Last edited:

Astronout

Jun 18, 2008
First part of the documentation

documentation.jpg

Some General information
Renderer: IE Mobile 4 / PIE 4 (year: 2002)
Supports: JScript (v5.5? Comparable to: Javascript v1.5?), CSS (v2?), ActiveX, VBScript, XML, DHTML, XSLT, Iframes, Framesets, FTP, HTTPS, Cookies, PNG, Animated Gif
Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Inbox\Handlers
Relevant files:
\windows\thread_sms.htm
\windows\thread_style.css
\windows\trhead_iframe.css

Handlers
All Handlers can be found in the registry above. Some Handlers might be ROM-specific.

When inserting a Handler, it is replaced by the system by some HTML text. You'll find a list of the most important Handlers below.

HTML:
Handler for Thread Iframe 
<Inbox:ThreadIFrame>
<Inbox:content id="THREADIFRAME" links />
</Inbox:ThreadIFrame>

Replaced by:

<threadiframe style="display:block">
<inbox:content id="THREADIFRAME" links=""><iframe id="messagebody" src="Inbox:THREADIFRAME" scrolling="yes" frameborder="0"></iframe></inbox:content>
</threadiframe>
HTML:
Handler for Composing a new SMS
  <Inbox:ComposeSubject class="sms">
    <Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="100%" height=40 spell focus count links noclearonbackpresshold limit=0 autocap inserttab scroll />
  </Inbox:ComposeSubject>

Replaced by:

<composesubject style="display:block" class="sms"><inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="100%" height="40" spell="" focus="" count="" links="" noclearonbackpresshold="" limit="0" autocap="" inserttab="" scroll=""><object style="height:41px" id="inbox:SubjectEdit" class="richedit" classid="CLSID:C41E4139-1594-4048-B629-E8BCB0FAE8B1" width="100%" height="40"></object></inbox:content></composesubject>
HTML:
Handler for Sender's Picture
<Inbox:SenderPic>
          <Inbox:content id="SENDERPIC"/>
    </Inbox:SenderPic> 

Replaced by:

<senderpic style="display:none"><inbox:content id="SENDERPIC"></inbox:content></senderpic>

Mysterious Stuff
The element selectId can be used in iframe_style.css to skin the selected sms.

Last edited:

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Reserving a post for the source code

Astronaut great job!

I've tried one cab already(wm7 i guess) and it's looking really nice but of course there are some graphic glitches. First of all I have 2 scroll bars, part of the date is outside of the sms bubble and in the left upper corner some graphics is missing - i think a contact photo was supposed to appear there.

I'm checking the other one.

Ok the manilla skin is working fine.:)

Ohh i forgot to mention I'm on QVGA wm 6.5.3.

Last edited:

bnm7bnm

Mar 11, 2008
does it work on wm6.5 builds with start button on top? (build 21889)

now i have wm6.5 build 21889 and my standart sms looks different than in first post screenshot.

Reactions: steffenbakke

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007

now i have wm6.5 build 21889 and my standart sms looks different than in first post screenshot.

Astronaut also looks like neither of cabs displays contact photos. I always get "unknow contact photo" picture even though i have assigned photos to contacts.

Irishpride

Dec 15, 2009
Emerald City
I'm having the same issues as Arturo, 2 scroll bars and missing graphics in the top left corner(wm7), but I have to say it is a great start to something that really needed improving. If you keep this up I might have to use the default instead of SMS-Chat for the first time since I got my Vogue!

Astronout

Jun 18, 2008
Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Indeed, the Windows 7 theme is particularly buggy. I just uploaded a new cab which includes the top left sms icon (forgot the image in the original version :rolleyes:). Also, it could fix the 2 scrollbars issue and the date appearing out of the boxes.

Also, what is of great influence is the font size. It can only be changed through start menu >> settings >> system >> screen >> text size. Setting this to any value but largest (and preferably not 'larger' too), fixes quite a few issues too. Can't read it anymore? Buy glasses :p

With regard to the contact picture: as mentioned it works only if you are not the last reply in the thread, ie the last message is from the other person. Until I find a solution to it.

Cheers!

Last edited:

renee613

Apr 23, 2009
astronaut,

just installed the windows 7 version and im getting a line below the date. i am running a 23518 rom on omnia i910 (wqvga). is there a fix. btw, thanks for sharing this, its really nice.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 4,791

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind replies.

Indeed, the Windows 7 theme is particularly buggy. I just uploaded a new cab which includes the top left sms icon (forgot the image in the original version :rolleyes:). Also, it could fix the 2 scrollbars issue and the date appearing out of the boxes.

Also, what is of great influence is the font size. It can only be changed through start menu >> settings >> system >> screen >> text size. Setting this to any value but largest (and preferably not 'larger' too), fixes quite a few issues too. Can't read it anymore? Buy glasses :p

With regard to the contact picture: as mentioned it works only if you are not the last reply in the thread, ie the last message is from the other person. Until I find a solution to it.

Cheers!

Thanks the WM7 theme is working really well now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

for those interested here are cabs of maherladsak final version
    Its been almost a month since i check this thread as i am busy for my new job. Anyway, i had this thread before. It loads much much faster as it is not using any images. instead, all plain css codes. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=846891

I attached also new codes which has boarders. You can always play with the codes to suit your theme. A simple tutorial is explained in that thread. BTW, Sorry, i dont know how to cab files.
    Something for Android fans and thanks to forgot his name x| for his starter theme.

HTC Amaze 4G Bubble Messages theme.
    - Works on VGA and Portrait mode, not sure about other resolutions
    ---- am still fixing the landscape mode.
    - Used in Windows Mobile 6.5.5 build 28244 so if you want to use this, make sure to backup the original files first in case something went wrong

screenshot
    WMStandardMessaging.jpg

point of interest
    Title Bar Size
    - if working on 192 dpi, make sure you convert to convert 192dpi values to 96dpi
    -- formula: 96dpi to 192dpi (i x current_dpi) / 96
    -- formula: 192dpi to 96dpi (i x 96) / current_dpi

download file below