[Q] How can I hide the Navigation Bar?

Search This thread

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
Just upgraded to Razr Maxx HD running JB (4.1.1). I'm a Button Savior guy (soft keys) so I have no use for the space-wasting navigation bar that spans the bottom of the screen. I can't find a way to disable it. I've read LOTS of entries on the subject but haven't found the right solution. I tried modifying build.prop with qemu.hw.mainkeys=1. That worked, sort of (left the very bottom of the screen blank and unusable) but generated lots of those System UI (or whatever it is) error messages. I installed a couple of different apps that are supposed to make the Navigation Bar disappear (NavBar and FullScreenToggle, for instance) but all that does is make the same build.prop entry, which generates the same error messages. One app hid the Navigation Bar but kept the space it took up blank. What's the point of THAT? I read that CM10.1 and ParanoidAndroid have a control to hide the Navigation Bar, and I don't mind flashing a new ROM, but the custom JB ROMs seem to still have bugs in areas that would be a problem for me (BT, wi-fi tether, camera).

So -- I can't find a solution. I believed I've searched pretty thoroughly but hopefully I've overlooked something. My Maxx HD is rooted, of course (w/Safestrap), and running the stock ROM. I love the phone. Just want to be able to hide/disable the Navigation Bar and have full use of the space it takes up.

rockstarr001

Dec 8, 2012
Bump for you because I'm in the same boat. I have my other cm rom tweaked perfectly but it's not a daily driver because of camera and tether.

Ideally it would be a solution for rooted stock rom

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
My RAZR HD is on JB 4.1.2 and I managed to hide the Navbar with qemu.hw.mainkeys=1. I used to get SystemUI crashes on ICS, but since JB no crash whatsoever.

Last edited:

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
If qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 worked for me (without FCs) I'd be done. All I want to do is disable the Navigation Bar. I don't want to hide the System (Notification) Bar. I don't need to toggle the Nav Bar on and off. I just want to be able to use my full screen. I have to say, Goggle putting out JB for smartphones with a bar on top and another bar on the bottom seems stupid. They consolidate the bars on the larger screens, not on the smaller screens.

Is your HD on the stock ROM? How did you get 4.1.2? I'm still on 4.1.1 and my system says it's up to date.