[Q] Custom recovery needed

Search This thread

kiwiandy

Mar 29, 2008
Christchurch
Can anyone here build a custom recovery for the E8 so that it can be rooted please.
I can supply a copy of the boot.img and anything else if its required.
Would like to get the ball rolling on this.. I have had my phone for 3 days now, and would like to get it rooted ASAP!

matthijsph

Dec 27, 2013
Rotterdam
I ordered mine on etotalk and they promised to send me a rooted version of their custom rom as soon as it is finished. So far still no luck...

kellingi

Jul 6, 2014
Also in need of that custom ROM. Got mine from China some days ago, changed OS software language to English, but quite a number of preinstalled chinese apps have refused to uninstall. Whats most frustrating is that there is no Google apps. So all Google based apps are missing - gmail, maps, play store, etc. Downloading and installing the APKs haven't helped either. Most times, the APKs install but don't run. SO i have a device that i can't setup my gmail accounts and can't synchronize my contacts and calendar as well.
Would appreciate anything to allow me get rid of the base OS and replace possibly with a custom type OS.

kiwiandy

Mar 29, 2008
Christchurch
Also in need of that custom ROM. Got mine from China some days ago, changed OS software language to English, but quite a number of preinstalled chinese apps have refused to uninstall. Whats most frustrating is that there is no Google apps. So all Google based apps are missing - gmail, maps, play store, etc. Downloading and installing the APKs haven't helped either. Most times, the APKs install but don't run. SO i have a device that i can't setup my gmail accounts and can't synchronize my contacts and calendar as well.
Would appreciate anything to allow me get rid of the base OS and replace possibly with a custom type OS.

open HTC marketplace app and download the GMS installer app.. its the one at the top of the list on the attached screenshot.

it will install the google apps correctly for you.

But still need Root to disable all the bloatware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-07-08-41-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-07-08-41-27.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 255

kellingi

Jul 6, 2014
open HTC marketplace app and download the GMS installer app.. its the one at the top of the list on the attached screenshot.

WOW, thanks a million. I just downloaded and installed the app you made reference to, launched it (though i can't read Chinese and all the prompts were in Chinese), clicked through the options and now the app seems to be downloading a large file/app (192.88MB), hoping this is the full Google suite and more importantly that all will install correctly.

That said, I had also tried to Root the E8 using this instructions in this link for rooting the M8:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699065

While i think i was successful at this, i am unable to open the SuperSU app after it was successfully installed, keep getting an error: "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it..."

Any suggestion on what to do to fix this?

I'll update this post after the download completes...

UPDATE: Download complete, had something scribbled in Chinese come up, and after that, nothing. I can't find the file that was downloaded neither do i have Google apps installed. Can you maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing at all? I did try to click on the GMS app icon and followed through some prompts, which eventually led me to a prompt also written in Chinese, but with the following code: *#*#442#*#*
Code entered and my device rebooted to BootLoader, didn't know what else to do so I just rebooted the device.

Last edited:

EMF

Jul 22, 2009

If you go in to Settings -> Manage Apps you can disable apps. So just disable the apps you dont want to use. Standard Android KitKat functionallity.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

UPDATE: Download complete, had something scribbled in Chinese come up, and after that, nothing. I can't find the file that was downloaded neither do i have Google apps installed. Can you maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing at all? I did try to click on the GMS app icon and followed through some prompts, which eventually led me to a prompt also written in Chinese, but with the following code: *#*#442#*#*
Code entered and my device rebooted to BootLoader, didn't know what else to do so I just rebooted the device.

Just to clarify: Did you try the root first? Because if you have unlocked the bootloader, installed custom recovery or in other ways messed with it, you might not be able to install official updates and patches.

kellingi

Jul 6, 2014
If you go in to Settings -> Manage Apps you can disable apps. So just disable the apps you dont want to use. Standard Android KitKat functionallity.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Just to clarify: Did you try the root first? Because if you have unlocked the bootloader, installed custom recovery or in other ways messed with it, you might not be able to install official updates and patches.

I did mention that i had tried rooting the device using the following instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2699065

I know the bootloader is unlocked, but not sure i have successfully gained root access. Reason i feel so is when i install Titanium Backup, i get an error that root access is not available or something like that. i also observed that when i boot into boot loader, i get a message warning that I have tampered with the bootloader.

My aim really is to disable or uninstall all bloatware, get rid of all possible Chinese apps running on the device and get Google Apps in there (Maps, Play Store, Gmail, Google+, etc)
Any pointers in achieving these would help a great deal.
For your info, not all apps can be disabled going by your suggested steps above...

Last edited:

kiwiandy

Mar 29, 2008
Christchurch

The subject of this thread is asking for somebody to compile a custom recovery so that the phone can be rooted. Until a custom recovery is available we cannot easily root the phone.

I am well aware of how to disable apps on my device but am looking for the extra capability provided by Titanium Backup that allows me to delete. and then the ability to flash the exposed installer and then modify other features on the phone. refer to what we did with the M7 here to see what was done to make it more useable for non chinese speaking users here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2273570

stunner

Jul 4, 2004
Nice to see u ard here again, Andy! From Samsung N7102 u jump to HTC m7 now u got this device onhand so fast. Hehehe, patiently waiting for mine to arrive as well hopefully this will be the device of the year. Any hot issue on this device as I heard on M7 this has been an issue.

kiwiandy

Mar 29, 2008
Christchurch
Nice to see u ard here again, Andy! From Samsung N7102 u jump to HTC m7 now u got this device onhand so fast. Hehehe, patiently waiting for mine to arrive as well hopefully this will be the device of the year. Any hot issue on this device as I heard on M7 this has been an issue.

Good to see that you are still around also. I gave up on the N7102 and Samsung after their misrepresentation about the devices specifications, and bought an M7 dual sim version (802W) which was a great phone but I dropped it one too many times, so decided to try the E8, unfortunately I didnt read the specs properly before buying (unlike when with the N7102), but this device doesnt offer the 850MHz 3G band either.. so same problem again, but this time it is my fault! I will change my carrier this time, but need to get root!

zolakt

Jun 15, 2012
i would really appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of their boot.img. please leave a pm if you can thanks!

stunner

Jul 4, 2004

Hi kiwiandy,

Can help to advice this issue? Have already rooted my E8