fix "can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists) error mounting /sd-ext/!.

Search This thread

lawrrtan

Nov 14, 2010
I flashed a Leedroid 3.0 and it was just stuck in the boot screen. So tried to clear data and all thru recovery and i got this error "can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists) error mounting /sd-ext/!.

I downloaded gparted to repartition my 8gb sd card. I did a ext3 partition. When i plug back the sd card, the error still comes out in recovery mode. Any rom i flash gets stuck in Bootscreen still. I tried partitioning my 4gb sd card but it also gave the same error in the recovery.

please help. Been trying the whole day and still nothing is happening

Ed Roid

Apr 1, 2011
I'd begin with reflashing a cwm recovery, cause maybe the problem is not your sd. In "mounts and storage" did you try to mount/amount sd-ext ?

Sent from my Desire using LeeDrOiD 2.4.1

lawrrtan

Nov 14, 2010
I cant also mount/unmount sd ext. It says the same thing. can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists) error mounting /sd-ext/!. :( should i just buy a fresh new memory card?

lawrrtan

Nov 14, 2010
flash clockworkmod recovery 2.5.0.7 . Im using a sd card now without partition. It seems to work with the rom. Using Leedroid 2.4.1 . If i use the original SD card and reboot it with it, its just stuck in HTC boot screen.

Ed Roid

Apr 1, 2011
So you should just use parted again with your stock sd to make it work ...

Sent from my Desire using LeeDrOiD 2.4.1

lawrrtan

Nov 14, 2010
Thanks man. I was able to repartition. I made a wrong partition in gparted. Made a fat32 primary then the second one extended partition. From your post i made it primary also the second one. Now my rom reads the sd card. Thanks again.

streetdaddy

Oct 28, 2006
London
Hmmm I had this exact same problem with LeeDroid 3.0.2... Trying to flash without wiping, had about 80 apps on my EXT3 partition... Got stuck on the white HTC screen for about 2 hours, gave up, pulled the battery, tried to flash the alignment zip, still stuck... tried to restore nandroid backup but then started getting this same error as you.

Thankfully was able to rescue all files from my SD card, format and partition again, then flashed LeeDroid 3.0.2 and restored a Titanium backup... everything running smoothly again! Phew...

CtapukaH

Oct 8, 2010
Milano
[..]
Thankfully was able to rescue all files from my SD card, format and partition again, then flashed LeeDroid 3.0.2 and restored a Titanium backup... everything running smoothly again! Phew...

May I ask how did you manage to do that?

EDIT:
Ok. Apart from the backup/restore issues that depend on having a healthy ext partition as I figure, the "can't mount [..] error mounting /sd-ext/!" problem is responsible for the "green HTC logo on the white screen freeze" also. So I've been trying to make it work all evening and this is what I found:

The Error (at least in my case) and the freaking "green HTC logo" freezez were generated because the Ext partition got corrupted in some bizarre and mysterious way. I have no idea how that could have happened, but I guess a small role in this ballet got played by the ROM itself and maybe even the nandroid backup built into the CWM (ClockWorkMod). It started right after I finished installing a fresh copy of the LeeDroid 2.4.1 and all my favourite apps (which worked flawlessly), rebooted into bootloader > CWM > nandroid and made the full backup of the system. Rebooting the device afterwards got me into the above mentioned freeze.

I tried many things, among which were flashing different ROMs and Radio images (without wiping though), but none worked. I just wanted to roll back to the previous state (because i've spent quite some time configuring and installing the 2.4.1) and it seemed impossible at that point. Browsing the recovery options got me into the Mount and storage section where I noticed the listed error with the ext partition. I thought maybe formatting will help - well, it didn't. After a couple of weird things I had tried, I've decided I should delete the ext partition (leaving just the fat32 intact). Creating a new ext partition from scratch seemed to solve the error. However this didn't solve the freezing. And the reason had to be the fact that when it created the nandroid backup images, the ext was already corrupt (or however unreadable), so the relative image was not written because it didn't see the source.

I doubt there is any way to fully restore my previously installed ROM with all of it's apps in place and in a functioning order, because the ext partition had data on it and now it's missing (hence the freeze).

Therefore the question: what could have gone so badly wrong to compromise the ext partition?
And another one: is the LeeDroid 2.4.1 ROM or the 2.5.0.7 ClockworkMod Recovery the culprit?

Sorry for the looong post. I look further to hearing from Lee, if his busy schedule allows it and thank him in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ifemamamja

Sep 29, 2010
Hmmm I had this exact same problem with LeeDroid 3.0.2... Trying to flash without wiping, had about 80 apps on my EXT3 partition... Got stuck on the white HTC screen for about 2 hours, gave up, pulled the battery, tried to flash the alignment zip, still stuck... tried to restore nandroid backup but then started getting this same error as you.

hi! having the same exact problem right now... could you please help me how did you rescue all of your sd-card and sd-ext partitions? Thank you very much!

Igor2410

Oct 12, 2011
hi..

i got this problem too

i have clockworkmod recovery. pvt4.
cyanogenmod 7.1.
didn't make any partitions,
everything is by default as i got with cyanogenmod
s-on.
sd - 8gb, class2

yesterday my desire freezed.so i had to pull out the battery. but i couldn't turn it on till' i didn't wipe cache and dalvik cache.

When i selected wipe dalvik cache i got this

E: can't mount /dev/ block/mmcblk0p2
(file exists)

but it wiped it and my phone worked.

this appears even without sd card

it freezed after a week again but after a couple of reboots it works again but the error still exists.

i am newbie so i don't know what to do?

Last edited:

nizmo_man

Nov 17, 2008
So I flashed a ROM which stuffed up my partitions somehow (also became S-ON, WTH?!).
I got 'can't open /dev/block/mmcblk0 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p1) (invalid argument)' when trying to mount /sdcard.
I also got the aforementioned 'can't open /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (file exists)' when trying to mount /sd-ext.

After literally 16 hours of head banging, I realised when I partitioned the SD card again that they were logical instead of primary. Partitioned using minitool partition wizard home edition.

Rundown:
I'm using LeeDroid v3.3.3 with clockworkmod recovery 2.5.0.7

Make sure you partition FAT32 first as primary, then ext3 as primary. LeeDroid says to partition ext3 1GB after FAT32, so e.g. my SD card is 16GB, I have ~13.8GB FAT32 | 1GB ext3
This fixed the 'can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0' error, /sdcard is mountable.
You can now run .zip files from recovery (yay!). Throw alignment_ext3.zip on there and run it. You should now be able to mount /sd-ext.

Do a full wipe + Dalvik cache wipe (to test /sd-ext accessibility). For me it was back to normal and I'm currently doing a restore.

Always do a backup.

Top Liked Posts