Clarification on S-Off

Search This thread

ardsar

May 21, 2007
Devon
I have been reading a lot of threads regarding S-Off and how to achieve this with temp root. With my previous HTC devices i have always gone through HTC DEV to unlock bootloader in order to root.

With the exploit for S-Off and the fact that this can be achieved using temp root, does this mean that you no longer have to go through HTC Dev to get the unlock file? in order to root the phone. From what i have seen, i believe the answer is yes, however i would appreciate clarification.

Once S-off'd is there any way to return the device to S-on for warranty purposes, or is it a one way ticket.

RossMacgill

May 28, 2011
Kent
ross.macgillivray.me
I have been reading a lot of threads regarding S-Off and how to achieve this with temp root. With my previous HTC devices i have always gone through HTC DEV to unlock bootloader in order to root.

With the exploit for S-Off and the fact that this can be achieved using temp root, does this mean that you no longer have to go through HTC Dev to get the unlock file? in order to root the phone. From what i have seen, i believe the answer is yes, however i would appreciate clarification.

Once S-off'd is there any way to return the device to S-on for warranty purposes, or is it a one way ticket.

The temp root only works on certain devices, if, like me, your in the UK, then you will still need to HTC dev your device 1st to get root, and then you can attempt S-Off.

You can S-ON but there is some warning in doing so, but if i need to return mine, i will just leave it as is and deny all knowledge of s-off

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
Please also note, that not all device can have S-Off too even if you are full rooted. Personally I am full rooted but unfortunately at this stage I am not lucky enough to have the S-OFF..

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
I'm also very confused...
I can't find any guides here like for sanding Samsung for example, this is my first HTC device and I have no idea what methods I have.
Does unlocking the htcdev way void warranty or why would you prefer the other meth?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Jonnibravo

Aug 9, 2009
Bradford
I can't find any guides here like for sanding Samsung for example, this is my first HTC device and I have no idea what methods I have.
Does unlocking the htcdev way void warranty or why would you prefer the other meth?

There has been many threads about this over the years, particularly with the HTC ONE X which was the first device you had to HTCDEV unlock and never obtained s-off. UK law does not allow HTC to simply say your warranty is void because you root because if the screen fails this could not be as a result of rooting. To get round this HTC allow you to obtain root and I would assume that if there is any reason to believe that the device failed as a result of flashing, your warranty MAY not be honoured.

I have heard that in most cases they will honour the warranty unless you are careless.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

There are two methods you can try. First is the firewater and temproot method links below. This method only works with some devices and is worth a try before you attempt to dev unlock.

The second method is to unlock the bootloader via HTCDEV, goto the site register and follow the instructions, then use a toolkit to install your root and recovery. After this if you choose to try s-off which only works with some devices you can try the firewater method without temproot as you already have root.

Hope this helps

FIREWATER & Temproot

HTCDEV & FIREWATER

http://www.htcdev.com/

http://firewater-soff.com/

Last edited:

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
There has been many threads about this over the years, particularly with the HTC ONE X which was the first device you had to HTCDEV unlock and never obtained s-off. UK law does not allow HTC to simply say your warranty is void because you root because if the screen fails this could not be as a result of rooting. To get round this HTC allow you to obtain root and I would assume that if there is any reason to believe that the device failed as a result of flashing, your warranty MAY not be honoured.

I have heard that in most cases they will honour the warranty unless you are careless.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

There are two methods you can try. First is the firewater and temproot method links below. This method only works with some devices and is worth a try before you attempt to dev unlock.

The second method is to unlock the bootloader via HTCDEV, goto the site register and follow the instructions, then use a toolkit to install your root and recovery. After this if you choose to try s-off which only works with some devices you can try the firewater method without temproot as you already have root.

Hope this helps

FIREWATER & Temproot

HTCDEV & FIREWATER

http://www.htcdev.com/

http://firewater-soff.com/

I get errors when I'm doing the temproot method:
[*] Attempting to acquire root. This will take 5-10 minutes, be patient
error in setsockopt().
Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred address.
Failed to get commit_creds address.
Failed to get ptmx_fops address.
Failed to setup variables.

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
then it wont work and you have to HTC Dev ;)

Already did and got a heart attack when I did adb boot recovery and just got a htc phone icon with a ! in it :s
Still, I installed TWRP apparently but it doesn't work, recovery is just a phone with a red ! triangle. help

Last edited:

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Already did and got a heart attack when I did adb boot recovery and just got a htc phone icon with a ! in it :s

That's the stock recovery. Nothing to worry about

You'll need to do "adb reboot bootloader" hit fastboot, then type the fastboot code it tells you, copy and paste what it tells you from the cmd prompt and follow the rest of the instructions