Kindle Fire HD 8.9" bootloader bug fixed

Search This thread

hamidwt

Oct 11, 2012
title of the thread has changed to " Kindle Fire HD 8.9" bootloader bug fixed "
What's this bug? are we still gonna get any custom ROM?

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
The locked bootloader is a bug, that prevents you from fully taking advantage of your hardware.
We have fixed the said bug now. Just wanted to better express our position on the topic.
You will still get custom ROMs assuming people will be developing them.
I am sorting out my device tree in preparations to make it public soon and then hopefully interested parties would start adding to that.

idontwanttobeanoob

Sep 5, 2011
kindle fire 2nd gen

The locked bootloader is a bug, that prevents you from fully taking advantage of your hardware.
We have fixed the said bug now. Just wanted to better express our position on the topic.
I am sorting out my device tree in preparations to make it public soon and then hopefully interested parties would start adding to that.

Will this also work on the 2nd generation kindle fire? Ive never developed a rom before but if this works id definetly like to get into rom developement

bodi524

Apr 10, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
Will this also work on the 2nd generation kindle fire? Ive never developed a rom before but if this works id definetly like to get into rom developement

I think this should work for the KF2. The root method for the HD worked. I have built from source before..but it was setup before I pulled everything from git.

If you'd like to work together maybe we can help get something going for the KF2. PM me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

idontwanttobeanoob

Sep 5, 2011
I think this should work for the KF2. The root method for the HD worked. I have built from source before..but it was setup before I pulled everything from git.

If you'd like to work together maybe we can help get something going for the KF2. PM me.

Sent a pm

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru

I am not really sure what Kindle Fire 2 is.

The bootloader fix will work on Kindle HD 7" too (with some small changes, I need some files off the device first to generate proper stuff).
A lot of device drivers are shared between Kindle HD 7" and 8.9".
I just don't have 7" Kindle Fire HD, because it seems pointless.. Unlocked bootloader Nexus 7 is the same price and I'd rather people buy stuff with unlocked botloaders to show there is a demand for that.
(now Nexus 10 is much more expensive, so that's why I am feeling some interest in toying with these locked 8.9" tablets disguised as readers)

bodi524

Apr 10, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
I am not really sure what Kindle Fire 2 is.

The bootloader fix will work on Kindle HD 7" too (with some small changes, I need some files off the device first to generate proper stuff).
A lot of device drivers are shared between Kindle HD 7" and 8.9".
I just don't have 7" Kindle Fire HD, because it seems pointless.. Unlocked bootloader Nexus 7 is the same price and I'd rather people buy stuff with unlocked botloaders to show there is a demand for that.
(now Nexus 10 is much more expensive, so that's why I am feeling some interest in toying with these locked 8.9" tablets disguised as readers)

The KF2 is the 2nd gen Kindle Fire. It differs some from the 7" HD but is very similar.

The same root method worked for the KF2 as the HD. I have a KF2 that will boot but can't load the system...I was playing too much. So if you have something that works on the 7" HD I can't test it for the KF2. I don't think I can screw it up anymore.

idontwanttobeanoob

Sep 5, 2011
The KF2 is the 2nd gen Kindle Fire. It differs some from the 7" HD but is very similar.

The same root method worked for the KF2 as the HD. I have a KF2 that will boot but can't load the system...I was playing too much. So if you have something that works on the 7" HD I can't test it for the KF2. I don't think I can screw it up anymore.

I can also test for the kf2, the best way to describe the kf2 is a non hd version of the kindle fire with no physical volume buttons and lower end chipsets. But by theory this unlock process should also work for this device. I cant see them having an unverified line of code in one and not in the other versions of the kindle fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! Hope everybody is having a nice Thanksgiving (slowly transitioning to Black Friday).

I brought a piece of great news, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (and HD 7", but I don't have a device to test) locked bootloader bug has been fixed.
    All hail to sloppy programmers (as if there were any other kinds, right?)

Thanks to: fattire for noticing a bit of unverified user input, Hashcode for doing some prototype testing on other Kindle devices before we got our hands on actual Kindle HD and a bit of source code.
    What exactly was your method? I don't want a how-to but I am more curious of your exploit.
    Just as fattire highlighted in this other thread, there's an unchecked length parameter in boot image, so you just make it really long and overwrite the stack of the bootloader, allowing you to transfer control to your code (another copy of uboot in my case).

It seems there are a lot of misunderstandings about how these bootloader fixes work, so we are preparing a document laying it in some more details. It currently only covers Nook Tablet (of Bauwks fame) and just needs to be expanded a bit.

CM10 repo with stuff you see in the video is now available, details are in Kindle HD 8.9" development subforum.
    ok so i keep seeing that this is possible, however no how to. am i missing something or has this not been released

This it what you are missing, but be warned it's not very friendly to novices or people on Windows.