AT&T: "Network does not provide date and time..."? [Alternative Option]

Search This thread

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
I have been getting repeated pop up messages, something to the idea of "Network does not provide date and time information, go to date/time settings to change setting...".

I have not had this issue with other AT&T phones. I presume AT&T's network DOES provide time/date to the phone?

Has anyone else seen this? What is the resolve?

Thanks.

Edit:

Here is an alternative:

Install the free "ClockSync" from Market.

It syncs via NTP, is very configurable how it syncs, can sync only while awake or booting up (to save battery), and can provide timezone offset via database or GPS. I have been using it for a few days, it seems to work very well.

This allows us to turn off the network time sync and the clock will stay accurate.

Edit 2:

Lots of apps sync--Google contacts, calender, GApps, FB, etc. I don't know which relies on time stamp. In some cases, the app may unexpectedly alter data based on erroneous time stamp. This is partially why it's important to make sure that your clock does not drift too much.

Last edited:

Purpleclad

Feb 5, 2012
I was having this exact issue the first couple days with my Note. Had no idea what was causing it, but haven't seen it since. My time zone was also set correctly.

randaddy

Jun 19, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I noticed this the first day when I had the phone. It seems to pop up when switching between LTE and HSPA+. Maybe the phone pings the tower for updated time/date every time the radios hand off?

It hasn't happened again after the first 2 days for me.

sailador

Sep 27, 2011
I noticed this the first day when I had the phone. It seems to pop up when switching between LTE and HSPA+. Maybe the phone pings the tower for updated time/date every time the radios hand off?

It hasn't happened again after the first 2 days for me.

samething happened to me the very first day...but i havent seen it that annoying notice since

amcl

Feb 20, 2012
Had the Note since launch and I got the message for the first time today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

hausman

May 22, 2006
I started getting that when I tried switching to the APN that would (in theory) disable LTE since I'm in a fringe area. When I switched back to the default APN it stopped.

Don't know if changing APN had any effect other than the error messages.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
This problem may be cell-site dependent. I see it all the time at home, but have not seen it at my office. This is just one day though. I will keep observing.

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
I just had this happen and I went to settings/date and time and unchecked automatic (use network provided values) hopefully this will eliminate that bug.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy Note!

Jasmynsway

Feb 24, 2012
Ptoryno worke,

Had the note for a day and returned cause I saw and online discount of 50% off so I'm waiting on it to come through the mail. During that day, I has the same problem frequently. I unchecked "set time zone automattically" and it stopped happening.

Learic

May 11, 2007
I came from a Skyrocket running 2.3.5 to the Note which came with 2.3.6 and never had the prompt come up on the SR but I get it frequently on the Note. I didn't have to adjust anything on the SR and left everything default so I'm thinking that it could be a bug in 2.3.6?

I see people saying to uncheck the automatic Date & time so it doesn't use network-provided values. The funny thing is, the SR was fine with that checked and the Note is using the same wireless / towers. It's kind of mis-information since it says "Network does not provide date and time information," unless the SR was bugged and just didn't care to report it!

powdered_donuts

Dec 30, 2010
omaha
i only saw this bug while running saurom and just chalked it up to the goofed apn settings and lack of +supl.

+supl helps with location based services which would be necessary to pull the right time zone to set your clock.

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
i only saw this bug while running saurom and just chalked it up to the goofed apn settings and lack of +supl.

+supl helps with location based services which would be necessary to pull the right time zone to set your clock.

Its a network error. The system is trying to connect and update the time and date and it cannot. Its typically going to happen when using the "phone" apn or if the phone cant communicate with the network

yuuuup

bbedward

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I'm going to chime in, I'd suggest call ATT its probably a cell site issue. Does it happen when you're connected to a different tower?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

andrawer

Jun 3, 2011
This happened on my Samsung Infuse also. Just unchecked the auto retrieve date then changed it back later. Not the end of the world. End of issue.

Sent from my Samsung Note via Tapatalk.