micro USB to micro sd (for OTG)

Search This thread

nerys71

May 13, 2008
I got the little tiny micro usb direct to mSD adaptor for $5 from dx.com. WONDERFUL. FLAT OUT WONDERFUL.

I am buying 3 more. first its pretty big actually but there is an upside. open it up and its MICRO in extreme and RIPE for hacking. BONUS it works in BOTH my S3 and my Note II (my other adaptor not only stopped working all together but it would work in the Note II but not the S3 for some reason)

this is so much nicer. takes a little modding but the result is amazingly convenient. love the USB adaptor that comes with it too.

pop that little bugger open (it opens) and this slides right out easily

MiBXFl.jpg

notice that little bit of plastic I cut up? thats for this

uNGJdl.jpg

so you end up with this

G3D1Ll.jpg

and because its not so skinny it fits even with my super thick protective cases NO problem.

LOVE IT

asoaBl.jpg

and in my Note II with its super thick case.

UWaLIl.jpg

now that I know it works I will properly glue that cap in place and get rid of the ugly tape and put some heat shrink tubing on it ti pretty it up.

THERE ARE ALSO 5 distinct "contacts" actually tiny rigid wires. so it should be possible to snip them and add "wires" to allow a tiny plug on the device and the actual SD slot to be mounted to the BACK of the device. this will permit "semi permanent" installations on screwed up devices like the nexus ten that some idiot though would be a great idea to make a 2550x1440 display panel power house device with only 16gb of useless storage. morons :)

TCPModding

Jan 14, 2013
Vidor
Thanks for the idea will look it up today. I will probably add cable to not make out so rigid. I tend to bump things a lot...

Sent from my UnLocked + Rooted Nexus 7 Using the XDA-Developers app

fljoe

Apr 1, 2012
Got my OTG from DealeXtreme

Finally got my OTG device from DealExtreme. Works great with a 32GB microSDHC card.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 897

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
I have a pair of those tiny microSD readers I use with my netbook since it desperately needed additional memory. When connected to a short OTG microSD to female USB adapter I get 64G of storage in a less than 2" device. I might get one of those right angle ones for use with the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BobK46

Jun 1, 2011
I have a pair of those tiny microSD readers I use with my netbook since it desperately needed additional memory. When connected to a short OTG microSD to female USB adapter I get 64G of storage in a less than 2" device. I might get one of those right angle ones for use with the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Below are the devices I made for My Nexus 7. You can buy similar for less but, I enjoy making my own

Reactions: fonseca898

smb_gaiden

Mar 8, 2006
Well, I had a good thing for about as long as Higgs-boson existed.

Quest: To make a very small USB OTG MicroSDXC card reader

Ingredients:
1. USB to Micro USB cable
2. Small USB microSDXC reader

Goal was to marry the microUSB plug with the USB microSDXC reader. The enclosure was the rubberized USB plug cover itself after some cutting.

Steps:
1. Disassemble the microSDXC reader.
2. Cut 60-70% of the PCB where the USB pins are, leave enough room to solder onto.
3. Cut off the microUSB end of the cable
4. Cut off the USB end of the cable
5. For each cable end, use a blade on the side to free out the USB plugs; rememder to keep the rubberized part in good shape for re-use
6. Cut some of the cable to get nice Red, Black, Green and White wires. Repeat once again, but shorter to get another black wire.
7. Melt boths ends of each of these 4 wires to show metal (red one was a pain to melt)
8. Tin the wires ends
9. Tine the USB pads
10. Desolder existing wires off of the microUSB plug and annotate the order (test the empty one to ensure it is cable select)
11. Solder wires to USB pads in the proper order with proper colors
12. Remove USB shielding wire from microUSB plug.
13. Solder the short black wire to cable select and ground.
14. Solver each colored wire to the proper spot which you previously annotated on the microUSB plug.
15. Re-assemble the card reader part except USB plug
16. Test. Win!
17. Cut away rubberized USB plug holder to fit this contraption
18. Place contraption inside. Test. Win!
19. Super glue the edge to close it and result as shown in the photo.
20. Test. Win!
21. Wait five minutes. Lose!

I guess somehow something shorted between the last test and the next which resulted in failure. Re-opened and checked with multimeter, nothing saying shorting, so must have shorted in the enclosure and fried something. Not functional outside the enclosure any longer. Weak link for reliability was keeping the microSD card aligned and in contact with the pins. Going to think this over a little longer and re-order a few more of the same microSDXC readers.

Attachments

• OTGMicroSD.jpg
    OTGMicroSD.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 534
  • OTGMicroSD2.jpg
    OTGMicroSD2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 505
  • OTGIngredients.jpg
    OTGIngredients.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 505
Reactions: Maverik18

EFFENGEE

Feb 11, 2011
found it

Does anyone knows if such a thing exist: a small microUSB to microSD card reader ?
i.e. something like the tiny USB key that have a micro SD card reader, but with a micro-B USB interface (instead of a full USB) ...

I have been searching crazy lately, but nothing !!! (I can't believe that some manufacturer did not had this idea ?!)
Furthermore, micro USB card reader a very rare ! Any reason ?

As a result, I am about to DIY the thing inspired by the following example (but with micro-B usb and with direct connection):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1713914
Starting with something like:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-sets-USB-M...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a124803eb#ht_2265wt_1165
and
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313271

The final goal would be to create a micro-usb to microSD adaptator as small as possible ...

Any better idea ? or product you know ?

i think i found it: http://dx.com/p/s-mcr517-multifunct...paign=Cables&gclid=CP-DwoLbubYCFQexnQodXAwAhQ

NicoGa

Jul 10, 2012
Montreal
Reactions: scorneil

scorneil

Mar 3, 2011
Toronto
www.twitter.com
AN UPDATE WITH RECENT STUFF :)

Here is a nice project on kickstarter :):):)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er-for-android-smartphones-and-ta?ref=popular
(I guess it is what I was searching from the beginning ... in the end I did one very similar myself!)

Recently I also found this which look interesting:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013...B-Charging-Cable-Free-Shipping/807167659.html

Thanks to everybody who participated to this thread :)

thanks for the kickstarter link, backed it

Reactions: ginfest

cr1cr1

Sep 23, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
dx.com/p/c310-otg-tf-card-reader-w-usb-to-micro-usb-adapter-for-samsung-i9100-i9300-i9220-n7100-174106

Kawau C310: amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00DEOO078/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It is amazing that no one thought of this so far... though the market is filled with tousands aof useless and colorful readers

Last edited:

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
dx.com/p/c310-otg-tf-card-reader-w-usb-to-micro-usb-adapter-for-samsung-i9100-i9300-i9220-n7100-174106

Kawau C310: amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00DEOO078/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It is amazing that no one thought of this so far... though the market is filled with tousands aof useless and colorful readers

Yeah, I've been using this for months now. Works amazingly good. Little bulky but can use headphones at same time. So its not too big

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

ThomasBags

Apr 16, 2012

Now all they need is something like that which also features a passive charging port. Great if you were watching a movie from it on a tablet, where you may need to charge. Luckily, nexus tablets have the pogo connector.

NicoGa

Jul 10, 2012
Montreal
Now all they need is something like that which also features a passive charging port. Great if you were watching a movie from it on a tablet, where you may need to charge. Luckily, nexus tablets have the pogo connector.

Well yes, but to be able to charge and use USB otg at the same time you need a special version of the kernel:
http://mehrvarz.github.io/usb-host-mode-power-management-nexus7/

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Well yes, but to be able to charge and use USB otg at the same time you need a special version of the kernel:
And you won't be able to use the POGO pins. OTG mode disables them which makes sense if you realize that the Nexus provides power for the USB device when in OTG mode. There'd be power trying to come in via POGO at the same time as power going out. But you can use a special power providing OTG cable along with the kernel mentioned above to keep the tablet charged while using an external reader. Info about the cable should be at the same site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

ThomasBags

Apr 16, 2012
And you won't be able to use the POGO pins. OTG mode disables them which makes sense if you realize that the Nexus provides power for the USB device when in OTG mode. There'd be power trying to come in via POGO at the same time as power going out. But you can use a special power providing OTG cable along with the kernel mentioned above to keep the tablet charged while using an external reader. Info about the cable should be at the same site.

That does not seem to be the case. I currently have my usb drive hooked in through otg, and charging though the pogo connector. The device reads as charging and power is going up, and the drive is fully accessible.

E7bnEbV.png

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ah, well that's a shame. I have a Nexus 10, though.

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
That does not seem to be the case. I currently have my usb drive hooked in through otg, and charging though the pogo connector. The device reads as charging and power is going up, and the drive is fully accessible.... I have a Nexus 10, though.
The POGO connection for the Nexus 7 is different, 4 vs 6 pins. The 2 power pins are connected to the same power as the USB connection hence the need to be off as in disabled when the Nexus 7 is in OTG mode. I believe that with the Nexus 10 the additional pins means that the connection is at the USB port side of things which is why it will work for that device.

My Nexus 7 shows charging if I dock it while I have an OTG connection but when I look at the battery amperage it only goes down, never up. I'd guess that the code for dealing with the dock isn't very smart and just changes to a charging icon if there's power on the POGO pins regardless of the fact that the OTG code disables them. Or perhaps I should say that the OTG code isn't smart and doesn't change the battery icon to always show discharging.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know I've shown this on another thread here, but this is my working prototype of a micro USB plug to female USB OTG adapter.

I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive to knock up the same design, but with micro SD reader instead of the female USB. However, I'd rather pay for one already done if I find someone selling them ;)
    Quick update

Just wanted to update the thread with some current info.

So I was able to find a supplier for the interface chip with a price that make sense, so far this is what I got:

BOM cost is about $9.50
    PCB Fabrication $5.75
    This based on a 100- units

I am waiting on the quote for the Prototype SLA and 3D modeling of the casing and a production quote of actual molding and injection plastics.

:good:
    I got the little tiny micro usb direct to mSD adaptor for $5 from dx.com. WONDERFUL. FLAT OUT WONDERFUL.

I am buying 3 more. first its pretty big actually but there is an upside. open it up and its MICRO in extreme and RIPE for hacking. BONUS it works in BOTH my S3 and my Note II (my other adaptor not only stopped working all together but it would work in the Note II but not the S3 for some reason)

this is so much nicer. takes a little modding but the result is amazingly convenient. love the USB adaptor that comes with it too.

pop that little bugger open (it opens) and this slides right out easily

MiBXFl.jpg

notice that little bit of plastic I cut up? thats for this

uNGJdl.jpg

so you end up with this

G3D1Ll.jpg

and because its not so skinny it fits even with my super thick protective cases NO problem.

LOVE IT

asoaBl.jpg

and in my Note II with its super thick case.

UWaLIl.jpg

now that I know it works I will properly glue that cap in place and get rid of the ugly tape and put some heat shrink tubing on it ti pretty it up.

THERE ARE ALSO 5 distinct "contacts" actually tiny rigid wires. so it should be possible to snip them and add "wires" to allow a tiny plug on the device and the actual SD slot to be mounted to the BACK of the device. this will permit "semi permanent" installations on screwed up devices like the nexus ten that some idiot though would be a great idea to make a 2550x1440 display panel power house device with only 16gb of useless storage. morons :)
    Project is Live!!

Ok Everyone, we finally got everything setup and the project is live at Indiegogo.com

http://www.indiegogo.com/microsdtomicrousb

Open to any feedback, question and positive criticism :good:

Please share it with as many people as you can, let's make this project happen.

As a quick update, I received great news from the test lab yesterday, I am getting Net 30 terms on the FCC Part 15 testing, so I can send the unit as soon as the production prototype is ready and we should be able to get an approval before the end of the year. (I know that "may" not sound like much, but for those that don't work on the industry, test house are 200% capacity during this period of the year due to large companies [mostly Toys and Electronics] trying to release product for the holiday season, most test house don't deal with small projects and small companies until the rush is over ny mid january).
    Here's some images of my first attempt at making a MicroSD to MicroUSB OTG adaptor. It works 100%

So come on all we need now is someone to reduce the size and manufacture them !

I am working on something like that, I am having some issues sourcing the interface chip, the current company I am dealing with is asking too much due to the low quantities but i got some others on waiting list, I am getting a full BOM, and quotes for the plastics and PCB and i will publish a kickstarter.com project to get the first 200 units funded.

If anyone is really interested on getting one, you can PM me so I can get a general head count, I will post back when i get the 3d modeling of the casing.

Just for the records, I am a EE and I design electronic for a living so this is not a joke post.