[Q] [TF700KL] Is rooting possible?

Search This thread

capbarbaruiva

Aug 25, 2005
I have tried to make the update through settings but it says no update available.
I have bought the tf700kl on vodafone and whenever it starts I get the vodafone logo. What about you guys? Maybe the problem is the vodafone version of the tablet?

radus1

Nov 18, 2012
I have tried to make the update through settings but it says no update available.
I have bought the tf700kl on vodafone and whenever it starts I get the vodafone logo. What about you guys? Maybe the problem is the vodafone version of the tablet?

I'm pretty sure a branded TF700KL (In your case, Vodafone) uses a slightly altered OS. Expect updates to be at least 3 months behind if not more, since Vodafone has to alter every update when it's released, before they release them to the consumers. I also doubt they will bother with minor updates, which is another downside of branded models. My experience with branded models has led me to believe that you will recieve the JB update before the end of 2013 Q1.

radus1

Nov 18, 2012
So I am back home no update available when I try to update it manually. Tried to downgrade the firmware. That did not work so I doi not know what to do.

I'm guessing you're still on 4.1.8.18 as previously mentioned?

Did you try a factory reset and then tried updating?

sab65

Dec 23, 2009
Kaarst, Germany
So I put in a newly reformatted SD card. Copied the raw file again over and rebooted into SD down mode. It found the file read the image, verified checksum, checked security and hecked image security
But then I got the following error. Didn’t match OEM SKU , skip download. Download image fail. Halt! And it rebooted. I have got the correct version because I installed the version before from Asus's website and I have checked the version in the system settings.

Attachments

• Asus-small.jpg
    Asus-small.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 216

capbarbaruiva

Aug 25, 2005
So I put in a newly reformatted SD card. Copied the raw file again over and rebooted into SD down mode. It found the file read the image, verified checksum, checked security and hecked image security
But then I got the following error. Didn’t match OEM SKU , skip download. Download image fail. Halt! And it rebooted. I have got the correct version because I installed the version before from Asus's website and I have checked the version in the system settings.

I tried to do the same as "sab65" and I get the same result: Didn't match OEM SKU....!

sab65

Dec 23, 2009
Kaarst, Germany
So I have sent a query to Asus and two different people have replied. I will let you know if anything comes of it. They have had some good ideas but so far none of them have worked.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using XDA Premium HD app

sab65

Dec 23, 2009
Kaarst, Germany
So according to Asus support I have a Vodafone tablet even though it is unbranded. I need to wait for a Vodafone version of jb to come out but they do not know when. According to my sources at Vodafone the tablet is due out this month in Germany so hopefully we will see some software update soon.

In the meantime if we can find a way of rooting the tablet I could install the stock version.;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using xda premium

capbarbaruiva

Aug 25, 2005
So according to Asus support I have a Vodafone tablet even though it is unbranded. I need to wait for a Vodafone version of jb to come out but they do not know when. According to my sources at Vodafone the tablet is due out this month in Germany so hopefully we will see some software update soon.

In the meantime if we can find a way of rooting the tablet I could install the stock version.;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using xda premium

I was hoping it wouldn't be like that. I called vodafone and the guy that I talked to did not confirm if Vodafone would launch the firmware or if it would be straight from ASUS.
Bad news then...This is the last day to get my money back...don't know what to do..

sab65

Dec 23, 2009
Kaarst, Germany
I was hoping it wouldn't be like that. I called vodafone and the guy that I talked to did not confirm if Vodafone would launch the firmware or if it would be straight from ASUS.
Bad news then...This is the last day to get my money back...don't know what to do..

The last firmware I had came form the Asus download page for the tablet. So I would presume they would be making them.

radupatrascu

Jan 8, 2013
hello xda,

I also have an tf700kl. bought from vodafone bucharest, with pe WW build. Tried to install JB firmware from the asus site and it gives me OEM SKU incompability , have no idea why ), maybe it's because of vodafone firmware.

good day,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so I got myself the the ASUS Transformer Infinity LTE model (TF700KL).
    I tried looking through the forum for several hours to find something comparable, but all the fuss is about the ordinary TF700T model.
    Problem is, I have no root access to the device, I can't even update SKU's (officially released by asus - can't post the link yet though, as per forum rules).
    I tried pretty much every loophole, guide and software application, even with solutions for the TF700T, but they didn't work (as I suspected).

My guess is, that because it's relatively new on the market, no one has tried this before (or failed trying). I'd hate to wait for ASUS to release an official unlock like they did with the TF700T.

so essentially tl;dr: Help me root my device, or at least point me in the right direction so I might do it myself.

EDIT1: For those of you who are just lurking for the answer; currently the answer is NO, you cannot root the TF700KL.
    I will update the OP as we go along. Maybe some kind soul can help us out here.

EDIT2: If you want to know how to update to JB (4.1.1), the procedure can be found on page 2 in this thread.
    Okay, so I got myself the the ASUS Transformer Infinity LTE model (TF700KL).
    I tried looking through the forum for several hours to find something comparable, but all the fuss is about the ordinary TF700T model.
    Problem is, I have no root access to the device, I can't even update SKU's (officially released by asus - can't post the link yet though, as per forum rules).
    I tried pretty much every loophole, guide and software application, even with solutions for the TF700T, but they didn't work (as I suspected).

My guess is, that because it's relatively new on the market, no one has tried this before (or failed trying). I'd hate to wait for ASUS to release an official unlock like they did with the TF700T.

so essentially tl;dr: Help me root my device, or at least point me in the right direction so I might do it myself.
    Not ignoring you, just don't know how...is it a Snapdragon chip? Whatever it is, you might want to look to a forum with a device with the same chip and see if someone there might have a clue about how to crack it.
    Merry Christmas everybody Jelly Bean has arrived.

http://support.asus.com/download.as...00KL&p=28&s=1&os=32&hashedid=eYHK0zUbBywuYElo

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using xda app-developers app
    I am having the same problem I might try factory reset to see if that works

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Tried that several times. Didn't work. Sent an inquiry to ASUS about this particular problem. Still waiting for an answer. Will post it the answer here if it works (or if they answer at all).

EDIT1:
    It now seems that the system firmware update embedded in the current version (I'm using V4.1.13.8) works.
    Go to "Settings" -> "About Tablet" -> "System Firmware Update"
    It didn't work yesterday, but works flawlessly now.
    I'm connected to my local Wi-Fi and using the WW (World Wide) SKU at 100% battery (NOT docked).
    I have no idea if it's the JB update, but I will update the OP when I get more info (after I have updated).

EDIT2:
    So much for getting my expectations up, it was a minor update (V4.1.13.8 -> V4.1.13.9).
    Maybe they fixed firmware updating - I'll try and play around with it to see if anything changed.

EDIT3:
    Okay, so just as I suspected; ASUS changed something so that OTA is now working properly.
    An external MicroSD card is NOT needed for the updates, the firmware updater downloads the update to your internal storage and then applies it from there.
    The firmware update option (as described above in EDIT1) now works, you just have to run it after every update, to get a newer one each time:
    Original Version: V4.1.13.8
    Updated to V4.1.13.9 (small size, ~10MB)
    Then again to V4.1.13.10 (small size, ~10MB)
    Then again to V5.0.4.10 (large size, ~500MB) <- Wohoo JB!!!
    I will now try and root it - if I have any success, I'll post it in the original post.

EDIT4:
    Ran some benchmarks on the JB update, got on average ~10% more performance out of it and everything runs much more smoothly. Also haven't experienced a crash or lok-up yet.
    That's me stuck. I am on 4.1.8.18 and currently away from any Wifi and my only option is to update as before unless you have any other suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Edit 1: Where to the internal storage does it save the files too? I hope that it can be read without root. But knowing my luck recently that won't be the case.

Edit 2: So I managed to find a wifi connection and I am told that there is no update available. No idea what to do now.

1. I guess it saves it in a temporary hidden folder. Root is not required (unless you want to see the file), for updating with this method.
    2. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that your battery must be at least 80% before it will download updates. I also suggest disconnecting your dock during the procedure. Also make sure your connection is good enough. If it won't find the update then, then I have no clue what to do next. Maybe a factory reset?

Also, ASUS replied with yet another lame response; They provided me with instructions on how to do a factory reset -_- minus 5 stars for them. The response sounds like an auto reply - like as if they didn't even read my question. I won't give up that easily this time though. I'm gonna give them hell until they give me proper response (even though I'm actually past the problem with updating now).

EDIT1:
    To access the folder where the firmware updater saves the files, you need root - which isn't currently possible with the TF700KL. It definitely would be easier to just drop a firmware image directly into that folder and update that way, but I think ASUS limited access on purpose (custom ROMs and whatnot). For now, the only way of getting JB, is by using the firmware updater in "Settings" -> "About tablet" -> "System Firmware Update". I don't know why it worked for me suddenly, but I will post every measure that I took while updating - try and follow those. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what to do, but as I said above, I'm in a dialogue with the support and will post any "useful" answer they give me (and hopefully any solution):

- undocked (keyboard dock not connected).
    - 99%-100% Battery on the tablet
    - factory reset
    - not linked with a google account (skipped signing up / synchronizing)
    - nothing touched (no apps disabled or stopped)
    - everything standard (no extra apps downloaded and installed)
    - English (United States) language
    - no USB nor Power cable attached
    - connected to WiFi (~60% signal on a WPA2/PSK protected 20/2 MBit line - no other usage on line)
    - GPS disabled

That's about all I remember doing before trying to update.
    I'm from Denmark, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.