[Discussion] HTC One M8 - Updates

Search This thread

J0nY

Jan 23, 2011
With the folder open where htc_fastboot.exe is located (looks like you named the folder "RUU"); hover your mouse over the folder. Press Shift + right mouse button, which will bring up a pulldown menu. Select "Open command window here". In the command window, enter the commands as indicated in the guide.

You can use the SD card method also. But if you're tinkering with these devices, it's a good idea to know how to use fastboot.

First of all, that isn't a kernel. It's kernel source code, and only useful to developers. It's not useful to you in any way, and doesn't have anything to do with your question/issue.

You won't find the Euro RUU 6.12.401.4 posted on the HTC website (or an exe format), if what is what you are looking for. Which is why you have been referred to the RUU zip in ckpv5's post.

Your CID (11111111) is known as SuperCID. It means you will bypass any CID check. Somewhat obvous, this has lots of advantages. Just make sure you only flash things which you are instructed to flash. Since flashing things like RUU/firmware with s-off (and bypassing the safety checks like CID) can result in damage, if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

You can't trust those apps. They just report what is listed for CID in the build.prop, which is easily modified; and may therefore not correspond to the actual CID (what is checked for RUUs, etc.).

You need to check CID using command: fastboot getvar all

Or in your case, it is reporting SuperCID (11111111) on the bootloader screen, which is also trustworthy. But superCID is the only CID that is reported on the bootloader screen (other CID's, this line is skipped or blank in bootloader).

Oh thank you very much, it all worked out fine using the command prompt. I guess I shouldn't have trusted that CID Getter app after all... Anyways thanks a lot guys, however i've encountered a different issue with the top speaker being not as loud and tried cleaning with a toothbrush and when it didn't help i removed the cover for the top speaker and it was still quiet. I guess this is more of a hardware problem and not for this thread.

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
Hi, very disappointed that HTC didn't announce Oreo for my M8 :silly: lol
If only there was a worthy replacement: dual sim, sd card, fm radio, unlocked and root. One can only hope :)

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Hi, very disappointed that HTC didn't announce Oreo for my M8 :silly: lol
If only there was a worthy replacement: dual sim, sd card, fm radio, unlocked and root. One can only hope :)

I moved on to the OnePlus 3T earlier this year. No SD slot, and I don't know about FM radio (no stock app, so I would assume "no"). But it's dual SIM. It's everything the comparable "flagship" phones are (the camera isn't as great as the top phones - but still good) at a little over half the price. And the XDA community for the device is fabulous, with great development. It's kinds of the modder's dream device, for the moment.

The successor (OnePlus 5) has some issues, so therefore I'm not sure I would recommend it.

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
I moved on to the OnePlus 3T earlier this year. No SD slot, and I don't know about FM radio (no stock app, so I would assume "no"). But it's dual SIM. It's everything the comparable "flagship" phones are (the camera isn't as great as the top phones - but still good) at a little over half the price. And the XDA community for the device is fabulous, with great development. It's kinds of the modder's dream device, for the moment.

The successor (OnePlus 5) has some issues, so therefore I'm not sure I would recommend it.

Hi, thanks for the tips. Actually most phones here in Dubai are dual sim and no carrier branding :) . The fm radio is essential. I have no data plan (my choice) and listen to the radio on the way to/from work.
Was hoping the V30 would have fm, theres some signs from LG that all their phones will. Of course, it needs root ;)
whoops, sorry folks for off topic...

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
Hi, hmm, looks like that phone doesn't have fm radio? Or does it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using XDA Labs

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
Haha, that's true
one minute you are the top of the range flagship, one year later just lost into obscurity ?
It is pretty crap really the lack of support for many hundred dollars of investment in the latest technology.
Such is life ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using XDA Labs

Reactions: Einwod

tharanaw

Dec 10, 2017
I bought a used M8. It is unlocked. It currently has a outdated version of software. Software number is 4.18.... When I checked for software updates, it says the phone is up-to-date. Please help me to get my phone updated.
I downloaded the update for Unlocked/Developer model and tried to update manually, but it says Error 155 : Unknown Error. The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

I searched the IMEI info for this phone. Part description says it is a USA device, AT&T, with SIM lock.

Therefore, my assumption is that the phone was AT&T locked but was subsequently unlocked. Could you please advice me on whether I should flash an unlocked ROM or is there another safe way to get it updated?

Thank you in advance

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
I bought a used M8. It is unlocked. It currently has a outdated version of software. Software number is 4.18.... When I checked for software updates, it says the phone is up-to-date. Please help me to get my phone updated.
I downloaded the update for Unlocked/Developer model and tried to update manually, but it says Error 155 : Unknown Error. The ROM Update Utility cannot update your Android phone.

I searched the IMEI info for this phone. Part description says it is a USA device, AT&T, with SIM lock.

Therefore, my assumption is that the phone was AT&T locked but was subsequently unlocked. Could you please advice me on whether I should flash an unlocked ROM or is there another safe way to get it updated?

Thank you in advance

Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. You won't get help until you do.

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
Sorry for my ignorance. What are the info you need and how could I get this info?

You should familiarise yourself with some of the commands and things that you need to do before going any further here. Please read through the first few posts on THIS thread to get some guidance. Please note, Firewater is no longer available for S-OFF, but read the first part of section 3 to see the information required.

tharanaw

Dec 10, 2017
Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. You won't get help until you do.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the info you need.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.24.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.708.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B13000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 3aa067db
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Sorry for the delay. Here is the info you need.

((bootloader) version-main: 4.18.708.12
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B13000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111

The info indicates that the phone currently has US T-Mobile MID (0P6B13000) but this may or may not have been changed from something else. CID is SuperCID (11111111), and the current firmware version is Asian (4.18.708.12).

The product ID (m8_ul) corresponds with that is US T-Mobile version, although can also be Europe, Australia (or possibly other) versions. But my suspicion is that it's originally a T-Mobile phone, made s-off and SuperCID, and then had Asian firmware flashed to it.

S-off means you mostly likely have SIM unlock. And if the phone works on your local carrier's SIM, than obviously it is SIM unlocked.

How to proceed in updating, depends on whether you are actually in the Asian region, and want to keep that firmware (but updated) or change it to something else for better band support with your local carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Therefore, my assumption is that the phone was AT&T locked but was subsequently unlocked.

It's definitely not the AT&T version, which would have product ID: m8_ul_ca
Where yours is m8_ul (product ID for US T-Mob, Europe or Australia, as mentioned)

The name for that RUU is deceptive. Many folks think it is for the unlocked Euro (or other similar unlocked version). But it is specifically for the US Developer's Edition. Probably not the best RUU for your region, unless you are in the US.

Error 155 is due to the fact that US RUU's (Marshmallow) need to have firmware.zip flashed in RUU mode, before the RUU can install successfully.

Reactions: tharanaw

tharanaw

Dec 10, 2017
How to proceed in updating, depends on whether you are actually in the Asian region, and want to keep that firmware (but updated) or change it to something else for better band support with your local carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

It's definitely not the AT&T version, which would have product ID: m8_ul_ca
Where yours is m8_ul (product ID for US T-Mob, Europe or Australia, as mentioned)

The name for that RUU is deceptive. Many folks think it is for the unlocked Euro (or other similar unlocked version). But it is specifically for the US Developer's Edition. Probably not the best RUU for your region, unless you are in the US.

Error 155 is due to the fact that US RUU's (Marshmallow) need to have firmware.zip flashed in RUU mode, before the RUU can install successfully.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I am actually in the Asian region. I live in Sri Lanka. Therefore, I can have the current firmware. I don't have any problems with that.

Could you please advice me on how I should proceed to update my phone? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm still very new to this subject.
If I were to update manually, should I download the T-Mobile update or should I get an unlocked/developer update? And how do I "flash firmware.zip in RUU mode".
I'm worried that an update or flashing new firmware would relock my phone and am anxious to prevent it from happening. I would rather not update if there is any risk of locking or bricking my phone. What would be the best way to proceed?

Thank you in advance.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I am actually in the Asian region. I live in Sri Lanka. Therefore, I can have the current firmware. I don't have any problems with that.

If I were to update manually, should I download the T-Mobile update or should I get an unlocked/developer update?

I don't suggest either of those solutions (T-Mob update or Dev Ed update); as those are both US versions. Updating by OTA or RUU for a US versions will also change the band support. And band support for US versions is probably the least desirable configuration for non-US users. Especially since you seem to be indicating that your phone is working well with Asia firmware (4.18.708.12) which includes the radio baseband specific to your region.

Best to update using Asia RUU. You can find it here (2nd link on the following): https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72089996&postcount=13147

It's not a executable type RUU, it's zip format. You will find the necessary process to install it in the 3rd link provided on the above webpage.

I'm worried that an update or flashing new firmware would relock my phone and am anxious to prevent it from happening. I would rather not update if there is any risk of locking or bricking my phone. What would be the best way to proceed?

Flashing RUU will not lock the SIM. RUU is official HTC tool to write software/firmware; therefore it's a safest possible method to update the phone. But your data will be wiped, so plan accordingly (backup any data you want to keep, to an off-phone location or SD card).

Reactions: Einwod and tharanaw

tharanaw

Dec 10, 2017
I don't suggest either of those solutions (T-Mob update or Dev Ed update); as those are both US versions. Updating by OTA or RUU for a US versions will also change the band support. And band support for US versions is probably the least desirable configuration for non-US users. Especially since you seem to be indicating that your phone is working well with Asia firmware (4.18.708.12) which includes the radio baseband specific to your region.

Best to update using Asia RUU. You can find it here (2nd link on the following): https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72089996&postcount=13147

It's not a executable type RUU, it's zip format. You will find the necessary process to install it in the 3rd link provided on the above webpage.

Flashing RUU will not lock the SIM. RUU is official HTC tool to write software/firmware; therefore it's a safest possible method to update the phone. But your data will be wiped, so plan accordingly (backup any data you want to keep, to an off-phone location or SD card).

Thank you very much. I will try this and let you know what happens.
Thank you once again.

ira93

Apr 12, 2014
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.24_2G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.12.709.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT42KWM00519
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__621
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: RUU
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.064s

I need RUU Please send link and say how recognize correct RUU for hTC

Last edited:
Reactions: bricere88@gmail.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OTA ZIP COLLECTION

HAS MOVED HERE
    Ota is in sdcard/Download. Can share right on the cloud from phone so devs can cook in a few hrs [emoji12]

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

No, OTA in /cache/update.zip
    Here uploaded to androidfilehost.com
    HTC_ONE_M8_GPE_5_07_1700_6_MRA85K_H6.zip
    Good luck!
    I totally fail to understand why people think they can tell other people to get a life instead of waiting for the MM update.

We are all here on XDA because we are interested in mobile phones, interested highly above average. We like what they can do and how they look. Getting a major OS update makes the phone feel like almost a new device. I for one look forward to what MM brings, like Android pay, better app permissions control en hopefully better battery life. I like updates to my device that make it better. Of course I want that as soon as possible, of course I'm eager and very curious. If you couldn't care less about that, what are you doing in this thread and on XDA anyway?

And stop saying we shouldn't expect anything from HTC or be happy with whatever they do. They sell us expensive phones they will support for two years. MM has come out so it's completely logical they bring it to the 2014 HTC One M8. That's not charity from their part, that's their obligation. If you ask me, all brands' support for their products is very poor anyway. Millions of people are walking around with unpatched devices vulnerable to many attacks, that you really can't call old.

Having said all that, that doesn't mean we should all complain or whine about it. But please understand that people's enthousiasm about the coming update leads to disappointment when they don't even make it in the announced 2 weeks since the dec 3rd announcement for North America. Is there any logical reason why there should be any difference in launch dates between parts of the world? This shouldn't be about bugs begin squashed, you don't use one continent as beta testers for the other continent. You should have a beta test group for that.
    I personally still don't have a clue why many people in general are so hyped up and even bashing HTC about the updates and why it's not released for all regions at once. we get the update that's fair enough.

HTC should be wise and don't say a single word about updates and an eta. It would be the best for many users. And it would be better for the xda servers because it would contain less spam !

lol

:)
    ANNOUNCEMENT

Lol got your attention?:D:D:D

Shortly I will be taking over the Collection of stock backups thread and the awesome work that the good @Mr Hofs has done to date. I plan to move the OTA collection into there so Nand backups and OTA files are in once place

This means that if you need to restore and update on stock and have any issues getting OTA files over the air. everything that you need will be in one place.

WHAT DO WE RECKON PEEPS???

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

HTC_621
    OTA_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_MR_hTC_Asia_TW_3.28.709.6-3.28.709.5_release_400843m59k8z7s9vk0sv1g

Here you go m8: http://d-h.st/iGNq

Updated, cheers dude :)