[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Search This thread

Sandyman538

Nov 30, 2010
The hinge here isn't the problem for me. It is loose, but not so loose that it bothers me. I've the same issue when you only use the touch screen, then it is wobbeling. Don't know if it annoying enough to return my phone.

Pr.TOSHIBA

Feb 3, 2011
I haven't had any problems with my hinge. I bought mine used about 3 weeks ago, and it has been fine. I don't have any problems with flicking it open or it being wobbly or it falling closed or open. I don't even notice any problems when I text while lying down. And if people do have problems with texting while lying down (this shouldn't be a big deal, because how often do you text upside down?) I have a solution: close the keyboard and text the way that those poor souls with iPhones or EVO 4Gs do.

Am I seriously the only person who thinks the Z hinge is awesome? Yes, OK, it could be more robust, or maybe HTC could've somehow made the hinge tightenable for when it gets loose.

But, look at the good aspects of the Z hinge: it makes the phone unique (that doesn't really matter, but I felt like throwing that in there), it makes the phone really thin compared to most sliders and it doesn't require much effort to open.

Turboprop73

Nov 7, 2010
I like the hinge quite a bit too. It is unique, and mine isn't too loose (had the phone since it came out),but I dont really like how it makes all the cases large and weird. I still haven't bought a case for the phone because they all make the phone so big.

ChronoReverse

Jun 14, 2010
I like the z-hinge a lot too. It basically completely mitigates the rotating that you can get with regular sliders. I've never even managed to pick up my G2 in a way to make the hinge accidentally open up either. It takes real effort to not grasp at least part of the bottom.

broomsti

Feb 20, 2011
Desire Z

I got a Desire Z yesterday, and the first one went back because the speaker was broken, and just got the exchange.

On the new one, when closed, the top screen part wobbles a bit in the left hand corner and gently hits the bottom below. It does it on the other edges of the screen too but not quite so much. If you lay it flat you can wobble the two sides about half a millimetre in a see-saw action. The reason seems to be about a 1mm gap on the right hand side between the two parts.

Now, the wobble isn't that big but it's bugging me. The old one with the broken speaker didn't wobble at all (at least, didn't notice it!) and "snapped" into place. There were no gaps at all.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Last edited:

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I got a Desire Z yesterday, and the first one went back because the speaker was broken, and just got the exchange.

On the new one, when closed, the top screen part wobbles a bit in the left hand corner and gently hits the bottom below. It does it on the other edges of the screen too but not quite so much. If you lay it flat you can wobble the two sides about half a millimetre in a see-saw action. The reason seems to be about a 1mm gap on the right hand side between the two parts.

Now, the wobble isn't that big but it's bugging me. The old one with the broken speaker didn't wobble at all (at least, didn't notice it!) and "snapped" into place. There were no gaps at all.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Yes, me. Highly annoying. I have solved it by buying a case that keeps the two halves separate at all times, cushioning your fingerstrikes on the screen.
Poor design in my opinion, but there is no other qwerty phone on the market that I can put up with, so I have no choice but to live with it.

semifly

Feb 7, 2011
I like the z-hinge a lot too. It basically completely mitigates the rotating that you can get with regular sliders. I've never even managed to pick up my G2 in a way to make the hinge accidentally open up either. It takes real effort to not grasp at least part of the bottom.

Yeah it's an interesting, but fully functional design that really seems bother some individuals. Personally, it's never been an issue with me. When I hold it vertical, it never slides, and when I have the physical keyboard out it stays in place. It might be lose if you hold it from the top by the screen, but I can't think of a reason to hold it that way.

ariballaban

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, me. Highly annoying. I have solved it by buying a case that keeps the two halves separate at all times, cushioning your fingerstrikes on the screen.
Poor design in my opinion, but there is no other qwerty phone on the market that I can put up with, so I have no choice but to live with it.

I'm curious- what case do you use?

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
the question is: can i get my "hinge" fixed under warranty? its loose and it annoys me so i want to return it so they can repair it but have HTC made an official statment about this?

trance2315

Oct 14, 2010
Calgary, AB
the question is: can i get my "hinge" fixed under warranty? its loose and it annoys me so i want to return it so they can repair it but have HTC made an official statment about this?

Yes they did. They said that it was part of the design (able to open/close easily) and they're not responsible for it. Even then, I've still heard of people returning it for a new one which I think is pointless because that one will just get loose as well.

broomsti

Feb 20, 2011
I'm curious- what case do you use?

Yeah, I'm also curious. :)

I exchanged the phone and got one that doen't have the wobble when closed, BUT the new one has a wobble when the keyboard is open, which means it suffers from the "upside-down texting" problem (which it kinda annoying too, although IMO less annoying than the wobble when closed!).

Aftering testing another one in the shop, and the ones that wobble when closed didn't seem to wobble when open, but also vice versa.

I don't really understand why you seem to have to choose one or the other.

In the end, I decided I could live with a little wobble when open, but not when closed, however I have to say this is not the build quality I would expect from HTC.

senser1080

Mar 19, 2011
Salt Lake City
Loose as a goose. I had a case on it which kept it barely open slightly and this contributed greatly to how loose mine is. I played with a friends, the one at the tmo store, and my dads, they all have crisp hinges.

Skellyyy

Nov 20, 2010
I just bought mine and it's fairly loose. Not that loose to the point it's annoying but nice loose. I feel like if I keep opening it, it'll get really loose. :(

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

cloakster

Mar 16, 2011
Toronto
After owning my DZ for 4 months, the hinge has not gotten any looser, but the wobbly screen when open is kinda annoying. I wish they would atleast address the wobbly issue properly.

Zanney

Nov 28, 2008
I have been using the desire z for 14 months.
I can say that the hinge is loose, but in a normal use, you don't notice.
It's sturdy, i have dropped the phone on a number of occasions, face down, closed, open, you name it, one of the more strong phones i've owned ... except the 3310, it has to be the strongest phone i had.
Not using a case, not using anything, no pouch, nothing.
Still works like a charm today, as it did from day 1.

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
i modified the hinge with a 25lb spring rate spring and it works beautifully. no accidental closing, no "hanging hinge" when the phone is facing down w/ kb open, and no wobble at all.

EDIT: forgot to mention this was all with the otterbox commuter case on it.
Sent from my Desire Z via XDA App

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
Mine doesn't come out all that much but I find it difficult to grab the phone in such a way for the keyboard to fall down on its own I usually have to take effort to slide out the keyboard so I guess I'm lucky with this second hand g2 in not having a lose hinge.