How reliable is the gorrila glass?

Search This thread

Sarius24

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys, I just took my screen protector off today because it was getting dirty. But im wondering, can I really just go without the screen protector? How reliable is the gorrilla glass on this thing? I wonder if Rogers even put gorilla glass on the captivate phones. Anyway, what are peoples experiences without using a screen protecotr?

Last edited:

jack man

Nov 8, 2009
i was wondering the same thing a while back then i found this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=912515
Lots of people sharing their experience.

I always use a screen protector because I know one day I will get rid of this phone and I want it looking perfect. The gorilla glass will scratch.

Nelimungous

Jul 25, 2010
No protection on my cappy. Been in my pocket with keys. Looks brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Sarius24

Apr 11, 2011
No protection on my cappy. Been in my pocket with keys. Looks brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Lol i dont get it, people are saying they do get screatchs from keys and some people dont. Anyway somehow I reached into my desk and discovered I had saved 2 extra screen protectors.....so i guess im gonna use them anyway.

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011
I've dropped my phone and had it in my pocket with keys and coins. Just a cleaning with a cloth to clear finer prints and smudges and the screen looks brand new.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

tazman171

May 23, 2010
Spokane Valley
home.comcast.net
After almost 14 months use including dropping it on pavement several times (always find your phone before you get out of your truck :eek: ), throwing it in my front pocket with keys, etc., I have two or three tiny scratches that you have to look for.

Pretty impressed with the durability but I also consciously avoid doing the previously mentioned "oops" actions. :cool:

mwilhelm

Aug 6, 2010
Never have used a screen protector, throw it into my pocket - "usually" without keys or coins. My screen looks the same as the day I brought it home - wonderful stuff this gorilla glass.

Sent from my...

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
i have used the generic screen protectors, that are super cheap but dont cover the entire front of the screen just fits over the display area, i took that off a few days ago cause i realized the ares not covered (the top and bottom) are completely new looking. finger prints and smudges a a P.I.T.A. but the glass feels SOOO smooth compared to the protector...

btw this is a question...they usually go in the Q&A section....

Verrigan

Oct 17, 2008
Manassas, VA
I took scissors to my screen.. Pretty good, too.. Scratched that thing, and even heard some 'scratching' 'oh no, I musta scratched it' sounds while doing it.. It came out completely clean.

I have also dropped it from about 6 feet, having it land on a corner.. and all it did was put a dent in the corner.. (This happened a couple of times)

This phone is almost indestructible.

dirtbagg

Oct 9, 2010
No screen protecter here and has been threw some crap and.looks.brand new...my sis had one but in my own opionion it took away from the badass display

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

xThe Enforcer

Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Reactions: wwcjr91

ninjuh

Oct 17, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
I stopped using screen protectors on my cappy almost a year ago

I have one SLIGHT scratch that you really have to look for.

Don't set it on table tops screen faced down(that's just dumb)
Make it a rule of thumb to keep your phone in a pocket for itself with nothing else in it
Just take care of it, the rest takes care of itself.

punisher2008

Sep 17, 2010
Almost been a year now with no screen protector just some surface scratches but nothing major. As for screen protectors go i hate them. They collect dust and scratch super easily well worth it if you dont have a phone with gorilla glass but not worth it with the captivate.

Just wish they had made the body out of something else because it scratches real easy but a simple $1 case fixed that

artvandalay22222

Jan 19, 2011
Can't stand screen protectors. Have had no scratches yet. I work construction often digging trenches, and have pulled my phone our of my pocket that was full of sand and rocks. Still looks brand new.

I do use a body glove case because without it, I have a hard time holding the phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Reactions: duwii

flintdragon

Aug 25, 2010
Mine's naked too and it looks brand new. But there are scratches nevertheless. Micro ones that most lighting doesn't seem to reveal. It's weird but here in the office, I can't see any scratches at all. Good lighting. But when I use it at church, for some reason, the overhead lights show tons of scratches.

Hurricane Andrew

May 25, 2009
Magnolia, DE
No screen protector, just the Body Glove Mirage skin shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Mirage-Samsung-Captivate/dp/B0040M7H96

I generally throw it in the pocket opposite the one with my keys, but it does get thrown in with other stuff, like sunglasses, usb sticks, etc. Had it for over a year now and no scratches. Very resilient. Protectors definitely take away from the beauty of the screen, but it really depends on how hard you are on your phone.

Barbarian

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
No screen protector here. I somehow have a scratch on the screen though. Not sure how that happened but it isn't too noticeable and life goes on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i was wondering the same thing a while back then i found this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=912515
    Lots of people sharing their experience.

I always use a screen protector because I know one day I will get rid of this phone and I want it looking perfect. The gorilla glass will scratch.

That OP is the man.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App
    Can't stand screen protectors. Have had no scratches yet. I work construction often digging trenches, and have pulled my phone our of my pocket that was full of sand and rocks. Still looks brand new.

I do use a body glove case because without it, I have a hard time holding the phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk