How to turn OFF the soft key lights?

Search This thread

Pandasaurus

Nov 12, 2010
The light coming from the 4 soft keys and the two physical home and end buttons is bugging the hell out of me. They hurt my eyes, especially when it's dark.

Is there some kind of script I can run to permanently turn them off? Preferably a zip file I can just flash in the recovery or something.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Interesting that you want them turned off.

I want to know how to turn ON the soft key lights, because sometimes I press the wrong key (as I came from a Droid-X).

androidifyme

Oct 1, 2011
Easy, if your rooted download gscript and run one of these scripts one for of is lightsout.sh one for one is lightson.sh
push them to your sdcard/gscript folder then load them in gscript and run from gscript
there is allso trackballon and trackballoff if you want to turn your trackball on or off for some reason. I will have the green and orange led up later

NOTE: if there is an error like the lights turn off after a bit then edit the gscript lightson.sh and remove the line that says sleep1.

NOTE#2: this may cause soft reboots were your phone will run the boot animation and restart the xserver of android shell blah blah. nothing to worry about doesnt hurt your phone

Attachments

• lights.zip
    1,014 bytes · Views: 1,202
Reactions: Pandasaurus

Pandasaurus

Nov 12, 2010
Easy, if your rooted download gscript and run one of these scripts one for of is lightsout.sh one for one is lightson.sh
push them to your sdcard/gscript folder then load them in gscript and run from gscript
there is allso trackballon and trackballoff if you want to turn your trackball on or off for some reason. I will have the green and orange led up later

NOTE: if there is an error like the lights turn off after a bit then edit the gscript lightson.sh and remove the line that says sleep1.

NOTE#2: this may cause soft reboots were your phone will run the boot animation and restart the xserver of android shell blah blah. nothing to worry about doesnt hurt your phone

First of all, thank you.

But I ran into some issues/have questions:

1) The lightsoff script works after I run it in gscript, but when I turn the screen off and back on again, the soft key lights turn right back on.

2) By the green and orange LEDs, do you mean the notification LED? Because if so, it's not necessary; I actually need those ones.

3) The green phone and red end/power lights still stay on.

4) I don't see a line that say "sleep1" in the lightson script.

doogald

May 27, 2010
If you are running a CyanogenMod ROM, there is a control for the automatic backlight that also lets you set the light levels fot when the softkey backlights go on (which you can set to 0 to never come on.) I don't have a CM ROM installed at the moment, but it's in settings->CyanogenMod ROM settings somewhere. if you cannot find it, I can dig around.

[edit] I think it's in user interface->automatic backlight. That's where it was in CM6 (Froyo).

Reactions: Pandasaurus

Pandasaurus

Nov 12, 2010
If you are running a CyanogenMod ROM, there is a control for the automatic backlight that also lets you set the light levels fot when the softkey backlights go on (which you can set to 0 to never come on.) I don't have a CM ROM installed at the moment, but it's in settings->CyanogenMod ROM settings somewhere. if you cannot find it, I can dig around.

[edit] I think it's in user interface->automatic backlight. That's where it was in CM6 (Froyo).

Thank you! I found it after digging around the settings a bit.

gu5t3r

May 30, 2012
on Arc S
while button-backlights are off value of
/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness is 0
while its 0 change permissions to read only
they are disabled

I can also limit current to 150 in max_current which limits current and lights are dimmed if you want it running but not at max brightness...

added
echo 0 > /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0040/leds/button-backlight/brightness
chmod 444 /sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0040/leds/button-backlight/brightness
to /system/etc/hw_config.sh

now they are set off on boot

Last edited:

fizyplankton

Jul 7, 2012
another more hardcore approach is to unplug the leds. remove the back cover, sdcard, and battery. then use a t5 or t6 torx screwdriver to remove the four screws. remove the back casing, starting at the top, near the headphones. peel off the copper plate held on by 4 pieces of tape, but dont bend the copper. then in the middle of the circut board there will we a yellow film. peel it back to reveal a hole in the board where a long and skinny brown wire plugs in. unplug it, it just lifts straight off. follow these steps in reverse, and the softlights will be disabled.
WARNING: this WILL irrevocably void your warranty, although seeing how old the model is, i doubt it has one

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.