Fix for touchscreen (temporary solution)

Search This thread

foxfireseed

Apr 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

I saw this topic and due to so many people saying that this solution worked I have decided to try it too. As expected, it worked and screen was completely responsive once again.

I have noticed that It seems you have to be absolutely careful on how to put the piece of object next to the battery. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I have been doing some testing but I still coudn't find the optimal spot for the object. For now all I can say is that this trick can only be sucessful when you use the back cover of the Atrix to press the object against the fingerprint sensor. Because of this I'm worried that I might damage my Atrix by pushing the power button too often. Gladly this can be avoided by using the Volume Rocker option available in most of custom ROMs for our device.

As many of you probably concluded, it looks like that the problem is not necessarily related to a malfunctioning digitizer. I don't know much, but it looks like there may be some loose/ broken connections inside the region where the fingerprint sensor is and this trick reactivates these connections. I am planning on opening my Atrix, but I still don't have the necessary tools to do so. Just ordered then.

Thank you so much for contributing with this magic workaround.

Last edited:
Reactions: telzzz

rapidmancy

Oct 27, 2011
Nicosia
LG G4
OnePlus 3
Hello everyone,

I saw this topic and due to so many people saying that this solution worked I have decided to try it too. As expected, it worked and screen was completely responsive once again.

I have noticed that It seems you have to be absolutely careful on how to put the piece of object next to the battery. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I have been doing some testing but I still coudn't find the optimal spot for the object. For now all I can say is that this trick can only be sucessful when you use the back cover of the Atrix to press the object against the fingerprint sensor. Because of this I'm worried that I might damage my Atrix by pushing the power button too often. Gladly this can be avoided by using the Volume Rocker option available in most of custom ROMs for our device.

As many of you probably concluded, it looks like that the problem is not necessarily related to a malfunctioning digitizer. I don't know much, but it looks like there may be some loose/ broken connections inside the region where the fingerprint sensor is and this trick reactivates these connections. I am planning on opening my Atrix, but I still don't have the necessary tools to do so. Just ordered then.

I opened it myself and replaced the whole of the flex cable together with the digitizer so there was no chance that it was the flex cable fault. When I started up my atrix I noticed that the part of the screen that was unresponsive before, now worked, but the screen was unresponsive elsewhere... anyway it might be my mistake for not being an expert on changing digitizers or the Chinese digitizer's fault. The third replacement will show

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

telzzz

Nov 6, 2010
London
I'm on my 3rd digitizer and had my latest for well over a year now.
When using my 1st 2nd screens i always used the fingerprint sensor button to power on and off. What i did notice is i used to put the phone under a bit of pressure to press the button and i did it a hell of a lot as i'm always playing with my atrix.
It would make an annoying squeaking noise around the frame and top battery cover area too and i thought it couldn't be good to put my phone under that stress.
So when i got my 3rd screen i decided to try a rom that allowed me to use the volume rocker like foxfireseed said in he's post. As i said earlier in my post i've now had my latest digitizer for over a year where the others hardly lasted at all and i've not had a problem with it yet touch wood.

Last edited:

desarenezitic

Sep 5, 2012
Derby
Confirmed working on my Atrix with a piece of cardboard! Need to find some metal to get a more permanent temporary fix :D

Sent from my Nexus 4

desarenezitic

Sep 5, 2012
Derby
Just play around with it, it's not a permanent fix! I have got it working but it seems a bit temperamental tbh.

Also the screen was responding differently to pressing it down near the top, leading me to believe it is loose and needs tightening up. Need me a Torx T5 screwdriver!

Sent from my Nexus 4

r.sorujlall

Jan 13, 2011
Georgetown
i've tried this over and over and just cant seem to get this working. i've tried cutting a old credit card and placing it between the battery and top part of the phone and still nothing :/

desarenezitic

Sep 5, 2012
Derby
It's trial and error man, just try it out and see what works. Pro tip! Don't use a credit card, way too thick, messed my screen up!

Sent from my Nexus 4

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Here is what i did today, when this problem first appeared...

Grabbed an firidge magnet, those with ads, cut it the size of the battery, then i placed it with the battery, cut out most of the ad and folded the rest over the battery, put the cover back on and voila, digitizer works and i have my fingeeprint sensor free to fail at recognize my finger.. xD

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2

sa.guly10

Feb 8, 2013
This is the working and non working parts of my touch screen. I have been using the phone this way for 2 months and this fix doesn't work :(

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364764436725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364764436725.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 570

Salo-S

Apr 22, 2011
Joinville - SC
well, for me I think it's a problem of the touchscreen itself. Another line appeared dead, did I leave my phone in for repair? I tried this fix but to no avail: (

alexmadrocker

Mar 9, 2012
SAO PAULO
well, for me I think it's a problem of the touchscreen itself. Another line appeared dead, did I leave my phone in for repair? I tried this fix but to no avail: (

Friend, I think this is the best way. This solution of using the piece of cardboard, sometimes it works, sometimes not. This week is also going to send my repair.

Salo-S

Apr 22, 2011
Joinville - SC
Friend, I think this is the best way. This solution of using the piece of cardboard, sometimes it works, sometimes not. This week is also going to send my repair.
Sure. What I really wanted to know is HOW this problem is caused. I think it's something related to flat cable, so I will ask the technician to seal the flat cables with some kind of insulator, so the piece will not be damaged by the heat of the battery and the dock. (I hope)

Com certeza. O que eu realmente queria saber é COMO esse problema é causado. Creio que seja algo relacionado ao cabo flat, por isso irei pedir para que o técnico sele os cabos flat com algum tipo de isolante, sendo assim a peça não será danificada com o calor da bateria e do dock. (Eu espero)

motoxrcr1

Apr 4, 2013
My atrix was starting to act up and over time my touch screen completely quit. I saw this post and tried it and it fixed my problems. I actually used a foil wrapper from a Reese's peanut butter cup. I then order a new touch screen because my screen was always slightly off I would click on the delete key and it would type a "L". After I replaced the digitizer everything was great for a couple days my calibration is now perfect. But my screen slowly started to act up again and now randomly quits working. Now I'm using a small piece of cardboard from a frozen dinner. It doesn't always work. I found that taking the battery cover off and just rubbing the battery will make it start working again. I am a hardware Guy, I've been repairing electronics for probably about 15 years now and I have to admit this is a weird problem. When I had my atrix apart looked over everything with a magnifier glass and cold not find any imperfections in the flex cable. I ordered a new flex cable on eBay from a China seller so I'm waiting for it to arrive now. After it comes I'm going to tear my phone down again and find exactly what the problem is. I will try to find a easy perment fix for everyone who isn't so willing to tear open their phone and start swapping out parts. Oh and the only reason I decided to fix this in the first place is because of the dev team's work on the new kernal. The atrixs screen is just the perfect size so I'm very greatful for their work since it will make it so that I don't have to switch to a new rediculously sized phone.

WuchuHurD

Nov 17, 2011
3 days into it and I had one minor hiccup today. But after changing the piece and a few hours later it started working again. BTW, I used laminated cardboard lol

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok I had the screen problems now for 6-8months. Cant be without my phone as most users. I mod a lot and always need to battery pull. Which as caused the problem of the 1cm dead strip which affects game play and letters WESZ on the touch keyboard.

My solution is not ideal but it works. Am not technical minded at all.

1) you need a strip of thin metal.

IMAG0121.jpg

This is what I used. A old hard speaker cover I think this was

2) I cut it into a strip of around 0.5mm wide 1cm long

IMAG0123.jpg

3) remove battery and place right hand side of fingerprint scanner

IMAG0124.jpg

4) replace battery (might be a tight fit)

5) replace back cover

IMAG0126.jpg

6) bend the strip over

Works for me screen perfect now. I can pull battery. Replace the strip. Replace the battery. Boot and screen is prefect again.

Hope this help some of you guys.

Maybe someone can find a more ideal way?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    Hi KRYSTIANP,

Thanks for your sharing, now I could fix my screen touch problem,
    But sometimes, it comes back so I have to bend or push on the top to cover the problem
    Can you advise me to fix this problem out permanently?
    Thanks in advance! :)

My touchscreen is having problems again so i'll try to workout a permanent solution for this problem in few days.
    Hi guys,

I was playing with broken touchscreen. Attached image where you can see how it looks after removing everything that was glued to it. You can see here that vertical lines are close to headset jack and horizontal lines are close to front camera. This might help you decide where to place that piece of plastic. I'm testing few methods which hopefully will give more permanent solution but will require removing touchscreen as you'll need access to that points. Using plastic puts more tension on adhesive tape (connecting touchscreen to atrix case) so after some time it will loosen up and problem will come back. I was hoping to have it done by now (my methods), but fortunatelly/unfortunatelly my touchscreen fixed himself for now. So i'm waiting for the problem to come back ;)
    My atrix was starting to act up and over time my touch screen completely quit. I saw this post and tried it and it fixed my problems. I actually used a foil wrapper from a Reese's peanut butter cup. I then order a new touch screen because my screen was always slightly off I would click on the delete key and it would type a "L". After I replaced the digitizer everything was great for a couple days my calibration is now perfect. But my screen slowly started to act up again and now randomly quits working. Now I'm using a small piece of cardboard from a frozen dinner. It doesn't always work. I found that taking the battery cover off and just rubbing the battery will make it start working again. I am a hardware Guy, I've been repairing electronics for probably about 15 years now and I have to admit this is a weird problem. When I had my atrix apart looked over everything with a magnifier glass and cold not find any imperfections in the flex cable. I ordered a new flex cable on eBay from a China seller so I'm waiting for it to arrive now. After it comes I'm going to tear my phone down again and find exactly what the problem is. I will try to find a easy perment fix for everyone who isn't so willing to tear open their phone and start swapping out parts. Oh and the only reason I decided to fix this in the first place is because of the dev team's work on the new kernal. The atrixs screen is just the perfect size so I'm very greatful for their work since it will make it so that I don't have to switch to a new rediculously sized phone.

Hello everyone,

I opened it myself and replaced the whole of the flex cable together with the digitizer so there was no chance that it was the flex cable fault. When I started up my atrix I noticed that the part of the screen that was unresponsive before, now worked, but the screen was unresponsive elsewhere... anyway it might be my mistake for not being an expert on changing digitizers or the Chinese digitizer's fault. The third replacement will show

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2