How to get MSL/SPC?

Search This thread

Ephemera

Jan 18, 2014
I have contacted Sprint they just gave me a big headache since it's not activated wit them. It's on Android 4.4.4. Thanks in advance.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
So there is no known way?

Maybe flash a 4.4.2 ROM with twrp. I wouldn't dare do that until the entire 4.4.4 sbf is released. Otherwise that isn't safe.

Don't dare downgrade to the 4.4.2 sbf or you will very likely brick.

Hopefully the sbf is released soon, and you can safely flash a twrp 4.4.2 ROM. ONLY FROM TWRP. Otherwise not safe.

Again, please wait until the full 4.4.4 sprint sbf is released, otherwise you might not be able to return to stock.

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
Maybe flash a 4.4.2 ROM with twrp. I wouldn't dare do that until the entire 4.4.4 sbf is released. Otherwise that isn't safe.

Don't dare downgrade to the 4.4.2 sbf or you will very likely brick.

Hopefully the sbf is released soon, and you can safely flash a twrp 4.4.2 ROM. ONLY FROM TWRP. Otherwise not safe.

Again, please wait until the full 4.4.4 sprint sbf is released, otherwise you might not be able to return to stock.

What if a Sprint Moto X out the box came with 4.2.2, was bootloader unlocked via Motorola, TWRP'ed, rooted and then a nandroid was made of the stock 4.2.2. Then 4.4.4 was flashed via TWRP, and now the Moto X is on 4.4.4. I keep seeing calamitous warnings about not downgrading to 4.4.2 specifically else you brick your device. Would the same warning apply to attempting to restore back to the 4.2.2 backup, just out of curiosity?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
What if a Sprint Moto X out the box came with 4.2.2, was bootloader unlocked via Motorola, TWRP'ed, rooted and then a nandroid was made of the stock 4.2.2. Then 4.4.4 was flashed via TWRP, and now the Moto X is on 4.4.4. I keep seeing calamitous warnings about not downgrading to 4.4.2 specifically else you brick your device. Would the same warning apply to attempting to restore back to the 4.2.2 backup, just out of curiosity?

The problem is with gpt.bin (the partition table) and motoboot.img (the bootloader). Neither of those are downwardly. So if you ever took an ota, you updated both of them. This causes problems both ways: if your android version doesn't match the BL or partition table you are at extreme risk of a brick. Sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes it happens after one or two otas.

Always best to use caution.

Twrp flashing is safe because it doesn't touch either! Twrp backups only flash system and boot.

The warnings apply to ANY version unless twrp is used.

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
The problem is with gpt.bin (the partition table) and motoboot.img (the bootloader). Neither of those are downwardly. So if you ever took an ota, you updated both of them. This causes problems both ways: if your android version doesn't match the BL or partition table you are at extreme risk of a brick. Sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes it happens after one or two otas.

Always best to use caution.

Good stuff, as always.

Thing is i never took an OTA. Went straight from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4 by just flashing the entire KitKat 4.4.4 stock ROM System Version: 212.44.28 found here... http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/roms-stock-roms-t2499594

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Good stuff, as always.

Thing is i never took an OTA. Went straight from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4 by just flashing the entire KitKat 4.4.4 stock ROM System Version: 212.44.28 found here... http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/roms-stock-roms-t2499594

Did you flash the ROM or the firmware? If you flashed the ROM from twrp, you are totally safe to flash down to 4.4.2, read the msl and then flash back to 4.4.4.

If you flashed the FIRMWARE you updated the BL and partition table and you risk bricking.

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
Did you flash the ROM or the firmware? If you flashed the ROM from twrp, you are totally safe to flash down to 4.4.2, read the msl and then flash back to 4.4.4.

If you flashed the FIRMWARE you updated the BL and partition table and you risk bricking.

Don't think there was a separate firmware, just the ROM only. (I did have to fastboot NON-HLOS.bin and fsg.mbn manually though).

Anyway, not trying to push my luck here so i'll just stay put, but i was just curious.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Don't think there was a separate firmware, just the ROM only. (I did have to fastboot NON-HLOS.bin and fsg.mbn manually though).

Anyway, not trying to push my luck here so i'll just stay put, but i was just curious.

You are correct, the firmware for 4.4.4 isn't available yet. The NON-HLOS and fsg are the modem. You should be completely safe. Use caution none the less.

Good luck

gc33

Aug 20, 2014
I have verizon moto g xt1028 so downgrade is not successful ... Any idea how to get spc as its has 4.4.4 ?

Mathaa

May 17, 2011

Hi, i flash 4.4.2 and 4.4 via TWRP and still cant read MSL =( look for screenshots

YEEEEEEHHHAAA i got it, pushed to my 4.4.4 radio from 4.4.2 via RSD lite

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<phone_model model="PRO_CFC_SPRINT" />
<software_version version="ghost_sprint-user 4.4.2 KXA20.16-1.32 37 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.031.111.00R" />
<sparsing enabled="false" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_set" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="48BFA7086A66EFC79CA609F29CD89291" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="63225D160B529B1C4AB52972E885DE67" />
<step operation="erase" partition="cache" />
<step operation="erase" partition="userdata" />
<step operation="erase" partition="customize" />
<step operation="erase" partition="clogo" />
<step operation="oem" var="config carrier sprint" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_clear" />
</steps>
</flashing>

add an update guide:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-how-to-read-moto-x-msl-spc-code-t2681816

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 2.png
    2.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts