[Q] In Japan, Can't make up my mind!

Search This thread

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
Hello to all:laugh:. As my title implies, I am currently living in Japan where the GS 5 went on sale a few weeks ago. I first was really excited about it and even more so when I was able to hold it since the design seems to have received a lot of undeserved hate.

Since the official announce of the LG G3 however, I can't help but think that the it would be better for me since it has more features I want to use namely OIS and knock code.

Here is the catch, it seems LG has no plans to release the LG G3:p in Japan other than in a somehow modified version in the form of the LG Isai:

http://www.gizbot.com/mobile/lg-isai-fl-officially-launched-features-5-5-inch-quad-hd-display-news-017078.html

That phone looks very plasticky and will probably drop the optical OIS for a regular digital one.

I have been hesitating between getting the GS 5 and waiting until the next generation of smathphones in the winter or next year.

All that said, I am still very attracted to the Japanese GS 5 since it offers a charging dock that directly connects to the phone without needing to remove the USB flap.

Japanese link with pictures.

http://gori.me/samsung/galaxy-s5/51851

I would just like to have some opinions concerning the overall value of the phone especially fromusers with kids: can you manage to take good and blur-free indoor pics of your kids?:confused:

Do you think the OIS makes it worth sticking to my GS 2 until the next Galaxy?

I really want to fall in love with that phone and buy it.

Thanks a lot!

David

Reactions: Active_Matrix

xdarkkenny

May 29, 2014
Consider GS5 and G3, both are good devices, able to take indoor picture clearly.

Why not just go to store and try it, I'm sure this is the best way to clear your mind :)

If you want to wait until G3 release, maybe the next GS is coming after G3 release, just sayin.

Plus, you are using GS2, so better stick with GS series, so you don't need to get used to it again.

I mean the layout and buttons :)

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
Consider GS5 and G3, both are good devices, able to take indoor picture clearly.

Why not just go to store and try it, I'm sure this is the best way to clear your mind :)

If you want to wait until G3 release, maybe the next GS is coming after G3 release, just sayin.

Plus, you are using GS2, so better stick with GS series, so you don't need to get used to it again.

I mean the layout and buttons :)

Very true. I actually went to try in the store but since they do not have the LG 3, I have nothing to compare the GS 5 to. It seems great but I still can't find the "wow" factor. What phone do you have?

xdarkkenny

May 29, 2014
Very true. I actually went to try in the store but since they do not have the LG 3, I have nothing to compare the GS 5 to. It seems great but I still can't find the "wow" factor. What phone do you have?

I just got GS5 recently, I was thinking to get G3 but I picked GS5 at the end.

I've used iPhone 5, Sony Xperia Z, Z1, GS series and note 2.

I'm a kind of person like to control my phone with one hand and waterproof, and I'm sure you won't find any "surprise" point on GS5

GS5 is little bit disappointment because of the 2GB RAM and too many model number, such as G900F, G900K...etc.

Have to say, it confused people when they have GS5.

If you are heavy duty user, you should wait for G3, because G3 have 3GB of RAM.

Sony is also good, good camera module but their camera software are blurry somehow.

I will recommend to get GS5 or wait for G3 which is more valuable.

Reactions: gaikokujin

babygau

Jun 22, 2011
Melbourne
it hasn't been confirmed that g3 has 3gb ram as the korean version only comes with 2gb

z2 camera and s5 are on the same page, each one has its own bread and butter. but it is rumor that z2 has buggy camera hardware which could not be fixed by software update. I experienced z2 once, the fone getting hot very quickly if you take photos or 4k filming from 5 to 7 mins and cause fc.

having all said that, it depends on how you feel. for me, I bought s5 simply its over-redundance features and great community development. it doesn't look gorgeous but I believe it will not be out-dated in the next 3-4 years because galaxy families have many renowned developers support.

sent from galaxy s5 using tapatalk pro

Reactions: gaikokujin

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
it hasn't been confirmed that g3 has 3gb ram as the korean version only comes with 2gb

z2 camera and s5 are on the same page, each one has its own bread and butter. but it is rumor that z2 has buggy camera hardware which could not be fixed by software update. I experienced z2 once, the fone getting hot very quickly if you take photos or 4k filming from 5 to 7 mins and cause fc.

having all said that, it depends on how you feel. for me, I bought s5 simply its over-redundance features and great community development. it doesn't look gorgeous but I believe it will not be out-dated in the next 3-4 years because galaxy families have many renowned developers support.

Babygau, I have never thought about community support but am intrigued by what you said. What do you mean, practically? I can't say I am a power user of android, mostly average I guess.

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
Hey, please note that custom software development for the special version of Galaxy S5 with the charging dock will be minimal since it is a quite rare model (this applies to the Isai as well). Hence if you are planning to root, and install custom ROM you might have a poor experience.

With that said, the Isai has a better screen and more RAM which suggests smoother real life performance while the Galaxy S5 has a better physical design for those with kids due to IP67 resistance.

So it is up to you to decide whether you would like better software performance or a higher degree of "child-proofing".

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
Hey, please note that custom software development for the special version of Galaxy S5 with the charging dock will be minimal since it is a quite rare model (this applies to the Isai as well). Hence if you are planning to root, and install custom ROM you might have a poor experience.

With that said, the Isai has a better screen and more RAM which suggests smoother real life performance while the Galaxy S5 has a better physical design for those with kids due to IP67 resistance.

So it is up to you to decide whether you would like better software performance or a higher degree of "child-proofing".

THanks for the tip. I did not realize that rooting may not work on some models. I also heard it trips the KNOX counter and thus void the warranty. ALthough I have been playing with IOS and PCs for a few years, I am still scared of having too much fun with rooting on android...

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt

I'm a kind of person like to control my phone with one hand and waterproof, and I'm sure you won't find any "surprise" point on GS5

GS5 is little bit disappointment because of the 2GB RAM and too many model number, such as G900F, G900K...etc.

Sony is also good, good camera module but their camera software are blurry somehow.

Sony is trash. Software updates come late, bug ridden and laggy. Also Sony devices get stupidly hot.
And I don't see how 2gb of RAM is bad...my gs5 idles using 1.1gb out of 1.8gb of ram.
Also, only the 32gb model G3 will have 3gb of RAM, 16gb will have 2gb of RAM.

Active_Matrix

Oct 19, 2010
Bethpage, Ny
Hello to all:laugh:. As my title implies, I am currently living in Japan where the GS 5 went on sale a few weeks ago. I first was really excited about it and even more so when I was able to hold it since the design seems to have received a lot of undeserved hate.

Since the official announce of the LG G3 however, I can't help but think that the it would be better for me since it has more features I want to use namely OIS and knock code.

Here is the catch, it seems LG has no plans to release the LG G3:p in Japan other than in a somehow modified version in the form of the LG Isai:

http://www.gizbot.com/mobile/lg-isai-fl-officially-launched-features-5-5-inch-quad-hd-display-news-017078.html

That phone looks very plasticky and will probably drop the optical OIS for a regular digital one.

I have been hesitating between getting the GS 5 and waiting until the next generation of smathphones in the winter or next year.

All that said, I am still very attracted to the Japanese GS 5 since it offers a charging dock that directly connects to the phone without needing to remove the USB flap.

I would just like to have some opinions concerning the overall value of the phone especially fromusers with kids: can you manage to take good and blur-free indoor pics of your kids?:confused:

Thanks a lot!

David

WoW! I wish the US version had the dock charging option! DAMN!

gaikokujin

Jun 25, 2011
Hakodate
Thanks all for your advice. The funny thing is that some video comparison of LG G3 and GS5 camera are up on youtube and while they look legit, the differences are either small or the GS5 has better colors. I am pretty sure though that the LG phone is not fully optimized and as such the quality of the pics isn't either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks a lot!

David