[APP] SyncSMS - Synchronize text messages between tablet and phone

Search This thread

d0lph1nK1ng

Sep 4, 2008
Durham, NC
SyncSMS lets you sync your text messages between your Android phone and tablet. SyncSMS lets you sync your text messages between your Android 2.1+ phone and 3G or WiFi-only Android 2.1+ tablet. This app lets you receive text messages on your tablet which have been received by or sent from your phone. Also, this app lets you compose text messages on your tablet which will be copied to your phone and sent out by your phone. You will need to sign up for a free Dropbox account, if you don't already have one, in order to temporarily store the messages between syncs.

Please rate and comment on the app in the Android Market and click Submit to Portal in the upper right of this post to vote this thread to XDA front page, thanks!

*******IMPORTANT LINKS*******
Download: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.d0lph1nk1ng.syncsms

Change Log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774459/changelog.txt

DEV & USER SUGGESTIONS:
===== Ready for next release =====
- None
===== Under Dev =====
- Fix API 11 error when clicking item in action bar overflow menu
- Make C2DM respect wifi-only, DNS interval, and background sync off
- Sync on power
===== Backlog =====
# Bugs
- Auto resync
- ' Help > Setup > Push (Beta)

Push notifications are only for Received messages by the phone and Composed messages by the tablet. I will not be able to support copying Sent messages from your Phone to your Tablet withing doing polling. Please star the Android defect at the link below to add your support behind this enhancement to fix the issue. Thanks!
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2261

Thanks,
d0lph1nk1ng

Attachments

• tablet-light.jpg
    tablet-light.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • tablet-dark.jpg
    tablet-dark.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,034
  • phone-light.jpg
    phone-light.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 980
  • phone-dark.jpg
    phone-dark.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 852
  • widget.jpg
    widget.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:

d0lph1nK1ng

Sep 4, 2008
Durham, NC
nevermind about the logcat, the issue is that I need a production API key from Dropbox. i agree on your suspicion, so i have posted the app's source code to instill confidence. please know that this app is not distributable or modifiable though. thanks!

d0lph1nK1ng

Sep 4, 2008
Durham, NC
i have posted source code to my app which clearly shows that i use the dropbox api which requires username and password for the first login, then returns an access token per user which is the only thing that is saved to the local databases see LoginTask.java and Utils.java.

the 403 error stands for unauthenticated user. this is due to my app's dropbox api token being only validated for my email address. the app will work as described after i replace my api token with a production api token.

i do not deserve to be banned at all

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
i have posted source code to my app which clearly shows that i use the dropbox api which requires username and password for the first login, then returns an access token per user which is the only thing that is saved to the local databases see LoginTask.java and Utils.java.

the 403 error stands for unauthenticated user. this is due to my app's dropbox api token being only validated for my email address. the app will work as described after i replace my api token with a production api token.

i do not deserve to be banned at all

Maybe not but you cannot release an app that does not demonstrate that you are not phishing username/password info which your initial release does not prove.

d0lph1nK1ng

Sep 4, 2008
Durham, NC
you know, honest mistakes do /actually/ happen in the world. plus, it's not my fault that Dropbox chooses not to allow OAuth for android apps. i never /wanted/ to have to have a user enter username/password in the context of my app for exactly this reason

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
you know, honest mistakes do /actually/ happen in the world. plus, it's not my fault that Dropbox chooses not to allow OAuth for android apps. i never /wanted/ to have to have a user enter username/password in the context of my app for exactly this reason

Yes they do and when you have a secure way to access the app, please let us know. Until then, I am not touching it and recommend that no one else touches it either.

d0lph1nK1ng

Sep 4, 2008
Durham, NC
They do not allow OAuth access forwarding from their webpage per their guidelines. For Android (non mobile-web apps), they say to do so as follows.

From Dropbox dev page:

"Authentication For mobile devices

Mobile authentication is done using a call named token that's in the Mobile API specification section. Token takes a user's username and password and returns a working access token/secret pair to your application that you can use from then on. It's a relatively simple process, but with one caveat: you cannot store the user's password in your application. You can store a username for usability purposes or in case re-authentication is needed. However, there is no reason you should store their password."

Now, I have more than explained myself extremely detailed and clearly, so please go elsewhere with your false proclamations and ignorance.

gi812

Oct 4, 2010
instead of crying about it couldnt you just make another dropbox account for this
don't use the same password you do for everything else

problem solved. case closed. stealing your passwords or not, be smart and just make another dropbox account.

btw, i get my xoom soon so ill def. be looking into this app. sounds interesting

Santoro

Dec 24, 2006
NJ
It seems to me that posting the source is all he needs to do here, if someone wants to challenge him based on what it contains, that's a different story.

There are tons of legit apps that use Gmail and facebook credentials. Just hooking into 3rd parties doesn't automatically make one a crook.

If you are going to smear someone, at least make the effort to show some evidence, jeez.

Reactions: Migamix and diaa08

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
It seems to me that posting the source is all he needs to do here, if someone wants to challenge him based on what it contains, that's a different story.

There are tons of legit apps that use Gmail and facebook credentials. Just hooking into 3rd parties doesn't automatically make one a crook.

If you are going to smear someone, at least make the effort to show some evidence, jeez.

You are right and I am sorry for being a prick. But be careful with apps like these especially if they fail on step 1, sign into an account that fails immediately (dropbox). After thinking about this further, I should not have posted what I did and I apologize. It is not my responsibility for others security.

AndyMan386

Sep 4, 2008
Possible suggestion.. Maybe making a widget to turn on the syncing? That way when I am using the Xoom, just flip the widget on for both phone and xoom, set phone aside.. This way the time frame for syncing can be quicker, and when I am done on my xoom, turn the widget off, and it wont sync anymore (for the sake of battery usage).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SyncSMS lets you sync your text messages between your Android phone and tablet. SyncSMS lets you sync your text messages between your Android 2.1+ phone and 3G or WiFi-only Android 2.1+ tablet. This app lets you receive text messages on your tablet which have been received by or sent from your phone. Also, this app lets you compose text messages on your tablet which will be copied to your phone and sent out by your phone. You will need to sign up for a free Dropbox account, if you don't already have one, in order to temporarily store the messages between syncs.

Please rate and comment on the app in the Android Market and click Submit to Portal in the upper right of this post to vote this thread to XDA front page, thanks!

*******IMPORTANT LINKS*******
    Download: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.d0lph1nk1ng.syncsms

Change Log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774459/changelog.txt

DEV & USER SUGGESTIONS:
    ===== Ready for next release =====
    - None
    ===== Under Dev =====
    - Fix API 11 error when clicking item in action bar overflow menu
    - Make C2DM respect wifi-only, DNS interval, and background sync off
    - Sync on power
    ===== Backlog =====
    # Bugs
    - Auto resync
    - ' Help > Setup > Push (Beta)

Push notifications are only for Received messages by the phone and Composed messages by the tablet. I will not be able to support copying Sent messages from your Phone to your Tablet withing doing polling. Please star the Android defect at the link below to add your support behind this enhancement to fix the issue. Thanks!
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2261

Thanks,
    d0lph1nk1ng
    jeez lets just see how this app pans out. Its a good idea and I know that the op has put out other good ideas out before.

Ill keep an eye on this thread. Thanks
    I shall bump the version number to 2.0 in the next update then =] Enjoy your day.
    Wanted to wait until I got a response here, but had to rate this only 2 stars. Getting the 6250 ping message every hour or so is plain annoying. Not receiving any response from the developer (contacted via email a few times) or here on the xda, I can only assume it's an orphan now.

Sorry about the absence. There has not been much happening with regard to the app since the v0.9.3.3 update back in late November.

I have started to do some more development on the app this week, and I'm hoping to release an update at some point with a revamped Setup Wizard, better 7in tablet/phone support via SlidingMenu, as well as various bugfixes.