hd2 camera is capable of higher image quality via reg tweak (possible software 8mp)

Search This thread

d1m0n69

Jul 10, 2009
Élvas
IMO this tweak does next step:
CAMERA>Settings>Advanced Settings>Quality:
()Basic
()Normal
()Fine
()Super Fine
(*)Super Mega Duper Fine!!!!!!!

lol

P.S: The true is next, as more you push by your hardware lesser its life become. Now I wonder. If camera with tweak, takes better pictures than it takes by settings of HTC.There must be a reson why they limited camera to that quality.

now my question is next: some one saw more consumption on battery? gliches, artifacts on photos? anything?

Im happy for now with quality that it already has, but wouln'd mind to make work it better... And if this value in registry is only defining compression rate of image, i dont mind to leave pictures more "uncompressed" as i have many space here :D And probably that could be a reason of HTC limiting in order to save some space maybe. BEst thing would be is to ask HTC :D dont u think?

After some searching and reading I went to registry and found pretty couriouse that there are presets for 8MP but it doesnt say nothing, kuz it could simple been ported and disabled...
anyway pic goes here in attachment.

Attachments

• cameraReg.jpg
    cameraReg.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

slackersink

Oct 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I used the numbers that rristevski put up, 848428, and the pics look amazingly better. Straight lines used to have wiggly edges from the horrid compression, now it's a lot crisper than before. What would be the next couple values higher? I wonder how uncompressed we could go before we hit the limit of what the camera on this phone can do...

Pipeman597

Apr 18, 2010
Chicago
Time stamp

I just noticed the time taken for saved pic's is 5 hours later than actual time taken. So if I take a pic at 5am the saved file time is at 10am. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I am saving to storage card. File transfers to storage card reflect the correct time. Sorry if posted in wrong thread.

arizmin

Jun 7, 2007
Try turning off wide screen mode when taking pictures. I saw some where that leaving wide screen mode on will make the image size smaller instead of larger as the tweak is supposed to do...
Hi... i did that but still a 40Kb size.. viewed fr Album tab the photos are small and centered not full screen. I used bsb tweak to superfine camera but to no vail... now really frustrated!! any other input guys??

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
I dunno if it's possible to set device to blur the background much more - any idea?
Hi !

For people wondering about that, I must answer "unfortunately, no".

Field depth is a property of the camera lens aperture, and it's fixed on the HD2, of course.

Since the zooming option is a software one (just picture cropping), there's no mechanical/optical zoom that would have allowed the aperture ratio to change, so no, there's no available tweak to change the background's blur ratio compared to the focused object.

The farther the object from focus distance, the more blurry they look, that's all you can rely on. ;)

Very nice pictures, BTW. :)

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
Because you'd have a full size picture if it was a RAW picture... But it's not : it's JPEG encoded, and JPEG is a compressed format.

BTW, it's efficiency also comes from the fact it performs a destructive simplification on the picture, so it produces the tiniest possible pictures in 24 bits color.

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
LOL

Well, why not ?

But the HD layout was more appropriate for that. With the HD2's lens behind a flat glass, it would be less easy . :D

enigma1nz

my 5mp digital camera pics are around 3mb...and
this phone's around 800kb ?? why ??

I guess I am almost a year too late, but my pics taken by HD2 are 3.8-4.5Mb and I am quite pleased with quality, as well as videos in HD - all through Mango. Unfortunately, the .jpegs are too large to attach to my post, but I took some spectacular pics, even if I say so myself :p
Just one example - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1209909355494.801777.618160493&type=1&theater

YZ

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 24, 2010
Is this for windows mobile only?

Last edited:

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
Yes. It's about Windows Mobile registry, so it has to be for Windows Mobile.

Since I'm using an SD Android ROM to which I can boot for testing purposes (Windows Mobile is still better IMO - because it's more complete, more versatile and allows easier user-level tweaking, plus it's not Google's slave), I noticed the picture quality is optimum already under Android. At least using (old already) the build I'm using.

But the regsitry trick is clearly efficient, as I could compare with another HD2 that's not been tweaked.

Last edited:

enigma1nz

Is this for windows mobile only?
The tweak possibly is. But it's Windows Phone 7.5 Mango for me, no tweaks, got rid of Windows Mobile on the first day, so don't even know what quality one gets through that. I find Mango camera takes better pics than my Android ICS off SD. But there is still a greenish tinge when using flash in Mango, hopefully it will be sorted soon.