[GUIDE] Read this before going for eMMC replacement.

Search This thread

clubbtraxx

Dec 9, 2005
Nah, didn't flash anything not belonging to this phone.

Like I said, I got the /cache errors after swapping an SD so I figure mine does have a smoked eMMC chip. I have no clue why else it will not power up. Last time when t worked I was in CWM trying to format /cache which failed.

Powered it off after that and never can power it back on.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Nah, didn't flash anything not belonging to this phone.

Like I said, I got the /cache errors after swapping an SD so I figure mine does have a smoked eMMC chip. I have no clue why else it will not power up. Last time when t worked I was in CWM trying to format /cache which failed.

Powered it off after that and never can power it back on.

Ok, my bad. This is the first case of this error caused by SD for me. The only thing that comes in mind from my experience is not an Android but Linux issue. The Linux systems (which Android is based on) has the nasty feature to screw the partition when you unplug a device (HDD or flash drive) when something is writing on it. If in your case your fastboot (in phone Settings -> Power) was on, switching off the phone was not actually powered it down but went into a "hybernation" mode but some running processes was still active. Unplugging the battery probably caused corruption on /cache or /system or /data, or all of them that were in use. This can be fixed eventually, but you need an access to adb, which you do not have as far as I understood. So in your case I am afraid that your option is the repair center. The good part is that your phone cannot be turned on so the technicians will probably not know that there is a custom software on it and the repair can go under your warranty as a hardware issue...

morial

Jan 3, 2007
recovery-failure

hey there,

when i try to get into recovery mode via my bootloader, the phone vibrates and show the htc-logo all the time. what can i do?

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
hey there,

when i try to get into recovery mode via my bootloader, the phone vibrates and show the htc-logo all the time. what can i do?

I need some info first :)

1) is your phone branded
2) what is your hboot version
3) what you did to get the HTC logo
4) can you detect it with adb or fastboot (while in bootloader or HTC screen)

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
Ok, my bad. This is the first case of this error caused by SD for me. The only thing that comes in mind from my experience is not an Android but Linux issue. The Linux systems (which Android is based on) has the nasty feature to screw the partition when you unplug a device (HDD or flash drive) when something is writing on it. If in your case your fastboot (in phone Settings -> Power) was on, switching off the phone was not actually powered it down but went into a "hybernation" mode but some running processes was still active. Unplugging the battery probably caused corruption on /cache or /system or /data, or all of them that were in use. This can be fixed eventually, but you need an access to adb, which you do not have as far as I understood. So in your case I am afraid that your option is the repair center. The good part is that your phone cannot be turned on so the technicians will probably not know that there is a custom software on it and the repair can go under your warranty as a hardware issue...

I have almost the same problem.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18497514#post18497514

Unplugging the battery probably caused corruption on /cache or /system or /data, or all of them that were in use. This can be fixed eventually, but you need an access to adb.

I hoped that you can give me more info about this?
I tried your adb manual of page 1: To restore one of the following has to be done

But i get this message:
C:\android-tools>adb shell
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd: /dev/block/mmcblk0p18: I/O error

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I have almost the same problem.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18497514#post18497514

Unplugging the battery probably caused corruption on /cache or /system or /data, or all of them that were in use. This can be fixed eventually, but you need an access to adb.

I hoped that you can give me more info about this?
I tried your adb manual of page 1: To restore one of the following has to be done

But i get this message:
C:\android-tools>adb shell
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd: /dev/block/mmcblk0p18: I/O error

If adb is giving the I/O error there are two possibilities: pull the battery and try again, or try fastboot:

Code:
fastboot devices
your serial number should appear
then (warning: this command will alter your bootloader, do not make typing mistakes, copy and paste from here!))
Code:
fastboot oem mb 8d08ea0c 1 30
then run the RUU from your computer

Last edited:
Reactions: spankranger

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Would be nice if someone could make this a sticky, that the read lazy can find it too^^

Swyped from my HTC Desire S

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
If adb is giving the I/O error there are two possibilities: pull the battery and try again, or try fastboot:

Code:
fastboot devices
your serial number should appear
then (warning: this command will alter your bootloader, do not make typing mistakes, copy and paste from here!))
Code:
fastboot oem mb 8d08ea0c 1 30
then run the RUU from your computer

This is what i see:

C:\android-tools>fastboot devices
HT13KTJ34311 fastboot

C:\android-tools>fastboot oem mb 8d08ea0c 1 30
(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.018s]
finished. total time: 0.018s

Then i try to run ruu on my pc: RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed

I see the actual information of my phone for the first time.
Image-version: 1.47.401.4

I choose to update the curent rom-version.

Then i see: confirm you want too update your rom-version
From image-version 1.47.401.4 to image-version 1.47.401.4
I choose yes en press next.

The update proces starts en says the bootloader is being restarted.
This goes on for about an hour en nothing else happens ?

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
This is what i see:

C:\android-tools>fastboot devices
HT13KTJ34311 fastboot

C:\android-tools>fastboot oem mb 8d08ea0c 1 30
(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.018s]
finished. total time: 0.018s

Then i try to run ruu on my pc: RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed

I see the actual information of my phone for the first time.
Image-version: 1.47.401.4

I choose to update the curent rom-version.

Then i see: confirm you want too update your rom-version
From image-version 1.47.401.4 to image-version 1.47.401.4
I choose yes en press next.

The update proces starts en says the bootloader is being restarted.
This goes on for about an hour en nothing else happens ?

reboot to bootloader and paste here the output of:
Code:
fastboot oem h
or
Code:
fastboot oem ?
while in bootloader make sure that you are in FASTBOOT USB mode and try the RUU again.

additional, will be used later: while i the RUU screen, open your windows explorer, go to your C drive and use the search to find rom.zip

Last edited:

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
reboot to bootloader and paste here the output of:
Code:
fastboot oem h
or
Code:
fastboot oem ?
while in bootloader make sure that you are in FASTBOOT USB mode and try the RUU again.

additional, will be used later: while i the RUU screen, open your windows explorer, go to your C drive and use the search to find rom.zip

I tried above, but now i cant come into fastboot anymore.

I press volume down - power
i come in the white -Revolutionary- hboot screen
i press fastboot (the hboot screen says in red highlight "FASTBOOT USB")
now i put in my usb cable to connect with my pc
i hear the one sound that he's connected
now i start up the command screen as administator
i change the directory to C:\android-tools (enter) (this is the map with the adb.exe & fastboot.exe)
Then i write: fastboot oem h (enter)
i see < waiting for device > but nothing happens...

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I tried above, but now i cant come into fastboot anymore.

I press volume down - power
i come in the white -Revolutionary- hboot screen
i press fastboot (the hboot screen says in red highlight "FASTBOOT USB")
now i put in my usb cable to connect with my pc
i hear the one sound that he's connected
now i start up the command screen as administator
i change the directory to C:\android-tools (enter) (this is the map with the adb.exe & fastboot.exe)
Then i write: fastboot oem h (enter)
i see < waiting for device > but nothing happens...

ok. now comes the tricky part
1) if you still have an output on the "fastboot devices" command run the RUU again
2) if not take the rom.zip (if you do not have it, run the RUU without your phone connected to PC, do not close the RUU screen and search in your C drive for rom.zip. Copy it to another location and close RUU). Then rename it to PG88IMG.zip and copy it to your SDcard. Reboot to bootloader and press power to go to hboot. Wait until it finishes. This has two possible outcomes: 1) you will be back on stock, 2) there will be a error message. Post here what happened

Last edited:

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
ok. now comes the tricky part
1) if you still have an output on the "fastboot devices" command run the RUU again
2) if not take the rom.zip (if you do not have it, run the RUU without your phone connected to PC, do not close the RUU screen and search in your C drive for rom.zip. Copy it to another location and close RUU). Then rename it to PG88IMG.zip and copy it to your SDcard. Reboot to bootloader and press power to go to hboot. Wait until it finishes. This has two possible outcomes: 1) you will be back on stock, 2) there will be a error message. Post here what happened

I did option 2.
reboot bootloader
in the upper right corner there was a progress meter.
He went slowly from 0 to 100% en then i saw in green font:

Parsing... [SD ZIP]
[1] BOOTLOADER
[2] BOOT
[3] RECOVERY
[4] SYSTEM
EN SO ON TILL [9] RADIO_CUST

Do you want to start update?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

i choose yes.

i see: Update is in progress...
Do not power off the device!
Can not roll back hboot version

I think he then stopped the update proces because nothing happend anymore.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I did option 2.
reboot bootloader
in the upper right corner there was a progress meter.
He went slowly from 0 to 100% en then i saw in green font:

Parsing... [SD ZIP]
[1] BOOTLOADER
[2] BOOT
[3] RECOVERY
[4] SYSTEM
EN SO ON TILL [9] RADIO_CUST

<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

i choose yes.

i see: Update is in progress...
Can not roll back hboot version

I think he then stopped the update proces because nothing happend anymore.

hmm, outcome No2
delete PG88IMG.zip form the SDcard. After that repeat the same procedure with the PG88IMG.zip that contains the engHBOOToverARX (you have it already I suppose)

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
hmm, outcome No2
delete PG88IMG.zip form the SDcard. After that repeat the same procedure with the PG88IMG.zip that contains the engHBOOToverARX (you have it already I suppose)

Yes i got that file and placed it on my sdcard, when reboot into -revolutionary- hboot is says:

Parsing... [SD ZIP]
[1] BOOTLOADER
- Updating

<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

i choose yes.

i see the same mesage as before:
Update is in progress...

The phone is in this state for longer then an hour by now...

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
fbcyborg said:
Wouldn't be useful to change the recovery, installing 4EXT in place of ClockWorkMod?
Yes it is written in the recommendations in the first post. Unfortunately people are starting to read after they mess things...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
spankranger said:
Yes i got that file and placed it on my sdcard, when reboot into -revolutionary- hboot is says:

Parsing... [SD ZIP]
[1] BOOTLOADER - Updating

<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

i choose yes.

i see the same mesage as before:
Update is in progress...

The phone is in this state for longer then an hour by now...
Leave it like this over the night or until something pops up. Plug it into a charger of course. The next try will be to run revolutionary over it, if it works we will start over. But since the things we have tried already are not working you have two options:
1) bring it for a repair, but with this hboot you will probably have to pay it.
2) try to brick the phone completely and claim a hardware failure to get a repair under warranty...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
Wouldn't be useful to change the recovery, installing 4EXT in place of ClockWorkMod?

Your right, i read that and also tried to instal 4EXT, but i dont know how to.
I only have acces to the -Revolutionary- hboot and adb
Sorry for being so noob but i'm realy desperate and thought there were diferent options beside 4EXT.

Can you tell me how to instal 4EXT from -Revolutionary- hboot or adb ?
Maybe that wil solve the puzzel.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Your right, i read that and also tried to instal 4EXT, but i dont know how to.
I only have acces to the -Revolutionary- hboot and adb
Sorry for being so noob but i'm realy desperate and thought there were diferent options beside 4EXT.

Can you tell me how to instal 4EXT from -Revolutionary- hboot or adb ?
Maybe that wil solve the puzzel.

You can flash it as zip (download here) from the SDcard directly from ClockworkMod (your recovery) then reboot to recovery and is has to be 4EXT

P.S.: you do not need to apologize to be a noob. This happened to a lot of people, including myself several times (but luckily for me I had the 0.98.2000 bootloader and solved it simply by RUU)

P.P.S.: how is the hboot going. Still updating?

Last edited:
Reactions: spankranger

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
You can flash it as zip (download here) from the SDcard directly from ClockworkMod (your recovery) then reboot to recovery and is has to be 4EXT

P.S.: you do not need to apologize to be a noob. This happened to a lot of people, including myself several times (but luckily for me I had the 0.98.2000 bootloader and solved it simply by RUU)

P.P.S.: how is the hboot going. Still updating?

Thank you very much! the hboot is still updating, so i will wait some more and hope that everything is going to be alright. I'll keep you informed about the proces.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
    When you see this message in your recovery do not panic.

Setup adb/fastboot on your computer (there is a simple guide in my signature). Then connect your device to the PC, enter recovery, open cmd (command prompt) on the PC and type:
    Code:
    adb shell
    dmesg | grep mmc0
    If the output contains the following strings:
    Code:
    mmc0: failed to get card ready
    mmc0: reinit card
    mmc0: Starting deferred resume
    mmc0: Deferred resume failed
    Than you internal memory (eMMC) is corrupted i.e. your chip is "fried". This is a hardware issue (reference here) and the chip has to be replaced. Sorry, no other solutions available.

If not - your chip is not fried!

This message results from a destroyed /cache partition - some relevant info here

Some basic thing has to be done to solve this problem easily:
    • NEVER PULL THE BATTERY! Better have the patience to wait it to be completely drained
    • always keep a Backup of your current ROM and/or the Stock ROM, made from Recovery on your SDcard
    • enable USB Debugging in your Settings -> Applications -> Development and keep it that way
    • disable Fastboot in Settings -> Power to have total shutdown on power off
    • after unlocking (S-OFF) your device with Revolutionary flash an Engineering bootloader (e.g. 0.98.2000) to be able to overwrite it when needed
    • use 4EXT Recovery rather than ClockworkMod it has much better functionality
    To restore one of the following has to be done:

1. restore the Nandroid backup if you have done it

or

2. restore the cache partition - wipe /cache from the Recovery (preferred - thanks forcefreak). If the size of the partition says <null> (when Printing partition info in 4EXT Recovery) connect your device to a PC, go into adb shell (look the link in my signature for adb setup) and type
      Code:
      mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
      do not pay attention to the busy partition message, then
      Code:
      reboot recovery
      Note that this option will format your cache as ext2 or ext3 type. If you are using ext4 just use the 4EXT Recovery to reformat them as ext4

or
    3. According to craigcharlie's post
      selecting the Factory reset option in the HBOOT is also a way to boot to Recovery and then flash a custom ROM or restore a backup

or

4. if steps 1/ 2/ 3 are not working flash the relevant RUU (the same or higher version than your current and correct region/brand - you can find the available for Desire S here) when your phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode in bootloader (you may need to reinstall the HTC drivers) [credits go to dave303 and the guide in his blog.]

4.1 If you have a 6.98.1000 hboot
      Change your hboot with this one
      Download PG88IMG.zip, extract it and use Android Flasher to flash the extracted hboot.img
      The hboot version now should be 0.98.2000

Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

4.2 If you have a 6.98.1002 hboot
      Change your hboot with this one
      Download the hboot_0.98.0000.zip and extract it, boot your phone to Recovery, connect to PC, copy the hboot.img file to your SDcard, open command prompt and type:
      Code:
      adb devices [I](your device serial number should be displayed)[/I]
      adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
      dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[I][/I]
      if not working try to unmount/mount the SDcard:
      Code:
      adb devices [I](your device serial number should be displayed)[/I]
      adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
      umount /sdcard [I](not a typo the command is umount, not u[B]N[/B]mount)[/I]
      mount /sdcard
      dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[I][/I]
      Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

NOTE: If you have a custom ROM and no info about your original software version the solution is as follows:
      Connect the device, enter the bootloader and type the following command in the cmd:
      Code:
      fastboot getvar version-main
      This is the number of your original software.

If this number is higher than the one of your RUU and you cannot flash it, change the number with the version of your RUU (be careful - use the correct RUU for your brand/region!) with misc_version that can be found here - post #1, link from step 1.

If you have problems with some of the above post in the Desire S General forum or in this thread to receive support. Some cases can be individual but there is always a chance to fix before going for a replacement
    OK!

Here we go. You may find the 4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip file attached to this post. I've downloaded it using the 4EXT Recovery Control apk.

You can flash the 4EXT Recovery unzipping the file and performing the following command when in fastboot mode:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    And then enter into the recovery.

Make sure the file recovery.img is in your current working directory.
    D
    Deleted member 4123551
    Wow.sick tutorial. this must get a place in the index in very very big, bold letters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S/S510e using XDA App
    I still have 3 months warranty and dont want HTC to have an excuse to void my warranty and make me pay for a replacement Mainboard.
    Like this guy: [Guide] How to brick your Desire S
    It seems the eMMc was not fried by me or the s-off tool, but HTC just cheaped out on the eMMC chips in these phones.

Just got a message from HTC Netherlands after sending my phone to them.
    They say that the eMMc was fried by the s-off tool I had used. And thats why my warranty is now void. They tell me the replacement of the main board cost me €180,- :mad:
    But if i dont want that and just want to get my phone back, i still need to pay them €30,- for the research of it. WTF!! next time i will microwave the freaking phone before i sent it to them. Now they just refurbish it and give it away....
    I'm totaly done with this policy. thanks again for everybody's help.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. You was very clear now.
    So, if I'm not wrong, and if I've really understood everything, you mean that my old ClockworkMod Recovery is still there, and the 4EXT (that is a modified CWM recovery), is a sort of upgrade of CWM.

Anyway, I have a doubt about the hBoot you mentioned: the 0.98.2000 which is reported as the original one in the related thread, but before S-Offing and rooting my phone with revolutionary, I had 0.98.0002. Is it not different?

4EXT Recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but is has more functionality...now you can still use your backups from CWM, even to convert them to ext4 format (check the 4EXT thread in my signature all is described there.

Now, my explanation above was related to the bootloaders (hboot) :)
    For the Desire S there are the following hboot versions:
    0.98.0000, 0.98.0002 and 2.00.0002 - Stock. The latter currently cannot be unlocked by Revolutionary exploit
    0.98.2000 - "old" Engineering bootloader that allows you to flash system stuff like custom Recovery, different Radio version, unsigned stuff, etc.
    2.00.2002 - Engineering bootloader with the same functions as the "old" one but with different partition style (/cache is 150 MB smaller and /system has 150 MB more space), but currently supported only by the new OTA (Stock) ROM
    6.98.1000 and 6.98.1002 - Revolutionary/Alpharev Engineering bootloader that is installed on your device after S-OFF, with the same functions and partition style as 0.98.2000, but cannot be directly overwritten by RUU if you get in trouble...