Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)

Search This thread

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC One (M8)-Sprint(m8_whl)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
*Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
*Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
*A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
*Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
*Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
*Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: I'm new to all this rooting and modding stuff where should I start?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I suggest more topics for this thread?[/SIZE]
You can PM me your suggestions.
Please keep in mind, this is a FAQ and not to be confused with a Q&A
The only conversation in this thread should be suggestions for additional information to be added.
Anything else, please ask/discuss in the appropriate section
.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I'm having troubles submitting my Unlock token at HTC Dev what can I do?[/SIZE]
[Guide][How to] Submit HTC Unlock Token Thanks BD619
I know what you are thinking...EVERYONE knows how to do this, Not true I can't tell you how many times I have gotten a PM asking for help that is why I created this thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
[Tutorial][Resource][Root]Unlock-Recovery-SuperSU for HTC One(M8)-Sprint-m8_whl Thanks BD619
[TOOL] WinDroid Universal HTC Toolkit | Unlock | Root | Flash | Sprint One (M8) Thanks WindyCityRockr
[TOOL] HTC One 2014 (M8) All-In-One Toolkit [PERM ROOT] Thanks hasoon2000
wwjoshdew Videos:
Coming soon

filmaker Videos:
Root the Sprint HTC One M8

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q6: What recoveries are available for my phone?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q7: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.
*NOTE* Before you enter bootloader mode your bootloader must be unlocked. Unlock your bootloader by following the first part of this thread.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery..​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.
Also I would suggest downloading Android-SDK and check for updates regularly.
[GUIDE] Set up Android SDK (ADB) for Windows 8 / 8.1 / [ADB][Bootloader][Fastboot] Thanks bdorr1105
[TOOL] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer. Thanks Snoop05​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle..​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How can I S-OFF my device?[/SIZE]
Sunshine Thanks to beaups and jcase
[how to] remove your "tampered" banner Thanks scotty1223
[how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required) Thanks scotty1223

Fixing some misconceptions about S-off Thanks Indirect
S-OFF explained - by a Developer Thank regaw_leinad

**NOTE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK THESE COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE**

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
You can use a third party launcher such as Apex,Nova,ect.
Or long press any screen and choose Add apps and widgets,then drag the blinkfeed screen to the top to remove.
One thing you can do, however, is to change Blinkfeed to a different screen so that it's out of the way and you won't have to see it as soon as you hit the Home button.

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How can I change my PRL?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q14: How can I remove unwanted bloat?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q15: I need to return my device back to stock?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q16: I need to run Linux but I have no clue where to start what can I do?[/SIZE]
Linux Help Thread. Thanks jamiethemorris
[Guide]Learn Linux Terminal for all users Thanks HTC_M7

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I remove the Red Developer Warning after I unlock and flash a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q18: How can I install HTC drivers on Win8 for adb/fastboot?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q19: Can I flash roms from the HTC One(M8) International forums?[/SIZE]
If they are in the Sprint section or say they have Sprint support you should be ok to flash (If it's not from the Sprint section please confirm in the thread it's Sprint compatible).​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: How can I update my firmware without re-locking my bootloader and taking the OTA?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q21: How can I Sim Unlock my Sprint HTC One?[/SIZE]
SIM Unlock Your HTC One M8 Thanks chas123​

[SIZE=+1]Q22: How can I get a logcat to report problems to a Dev?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q23: Where can I find the latest HTC Drivers?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q24: What are the different hboot versions and what are their differences?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q25: Any way to turn on and off wifi calling with wifi?[/SIZE]
This breaks ALL notifications from wifi calling but it doesn't break the functionality of calling itself. So when you're on wifi you just gotta trust that wifi calling is connected (or go into settings to see if it's on). Also it DOES break address confirmation but since this should only be a one time deal for most people you can just reenable the service when you need to confirm your address if you're adding a new network or simply want to re-confirm it. You also wont be able to turn the service on and off in settings, but since it's not a radio itself turning of wifi will kill any battery usage by wifi calling:

1. Get ROMtoolbox (I have the pro version so idk if it works on the free version)
2. Go into app manager
3. Find and open wifi calling (make sure its NOT the one from htc)(also don't just select it, make sure you go into the menu)
4. Go right to the advanced section
5. Select advanced freeze
6. Find the services "vowifiservice" AND "vowifinotiservice"
7. click on them to disable them and agree to the prompt
8. *optional* Reboot the phone or refresh the setting to clear any notifications currently showing
9.???
10. Profit

Thanks reinaldistic​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Updated Q10 and Added Q24
[how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required)
[Resource][Guide]Sprint HTC M8 Hboot versions & info

Last edited:
Reactions: Riff76

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Updated Q5
[TOOL] WinDroid Universal HTC Toolkit | Unlock | Root | Flash | Sprint One (M8)
[TOOL] HTC One 2014 (M8) All-In-One Toolkit [PERM ROOT]

Neo

Moderator Emeritus / The One - ΠΣΘ
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
Please ensure that your question has not already been answered in this thread before asking a question.

Thank you,

Neo
Forum Moderator

Reactions: Sloth

reinaldistic

May 3, 2011
is q14 still unanswered? ican answer it for you...

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Free mobile app

Samurai7314

Feb 9, 2013
I'm new to HTC so I'm a little confused on the boot loader. Does unlocked mean the boot loader is unlocked and what does tampered mean? Tampered is gone now after I set up omj' s ruu.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

reinaldistic

May 3, 2011
I'm new to HTC so I'm a little confused on the boot loader. Does unlocked mean the boot loader is unlocked and what does tampered mean? Tampered is gone now after I set up omj' s ruu.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

yes unlocked means bootloader tampered is unlocked but its just the way the phone tells a technician if your warranty is void or not. with this phone you need to unlock root AND go s-off to have all permitions/privileges other phones get with just root

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Samurai7314

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Updated Q6
[AROMA][SPRINT]Recovery Switcher
Updated Q14
[SCRIPT] ROM Cleaner v1.0 | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods

Last edited:

reinaldistic

May 3, 2011
Just giving you a hard time :D
If you want to make a guide I'll definitely post a link

"titanium backup" that's the extent of the guide :p once someone achieves s-off and root they just have to get titanium backup from the play store and use it

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC One (M8)-Sprint(m8_whl)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: I'm new to all this rooting and modding stuff where should I start?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I suggest more topics for this thread?[/SIZE]
    You can PM me your suggestions.
    Please keep in mind, this is a FAQ and not to be confused with a Q&A
    The only conversation in this thread should be suggestions for additional information to be added.
    Anything else, please ask/discuss in the appropriate section
    .​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I'm having troubles submitting my Unlock token at HTC Dev what can I do?[/SIZE]
    [Guide][How to] Submit HTC Unlock Token Thanks BD619
    I know what you are thinking...EVERYONE knows how to do this, Not true I can't tell you how many times I have gotten a PM asking for help that is why I created this thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
    [Tutorial][Resource][Root]Unlock-Recovery-SuperSU for HTC One(M8)-Sprint-m8_whl Thanks BD619
    [TOOL] WinDroid Universal HTC Toolkit | Unlock | Root | Flash | Sprint One (M8) Thanks WindyCityRockr
    [TOOL] HTC One 2014 (M8) All-In-One Toolkit [PERM ROOT] Thanks hasoon2000
    wwjoshdew Videos:
    Coming soon

filmaker Videos:
    Root the Sprint HTC One M8

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q6: What recoveries are available for my phone?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q7: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
    To enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.
    *NOTE* Before you enter bootloader mode your bootloader must be unlocked. Unlock your bootloader by following the first part of this thread.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery..​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
    Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.
    Also I would suggest downloading Android-SDK and check for updates regularly.
    [GUIDE] Set up Android SDK (ADB) for Windows 8 / 8.1 / [ADB][Bootloader][Fastboot] Thanks bdorr1105
    [TOOL] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer. Thanks Snoop05​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
    No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle..​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How can I S-OFF my device?[/SIZE]
    Sunshine Thanks to beaups and jcase
    [how to] remove your "tampered" banner Thanks scotty1223
    [how to] lock/unlock your bootloader without htcdev(s-off required) Thanks scotty1223

Fixing some misconceptions about S-off Thanks Indirect
    S-OFF explained - by a Developer Thank regaw_leinad

**NOTE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK THESE COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE**

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
    Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
    You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
    You can use a third party launcher such as Apex,Nova,ect.
    Or long press any screen and choose Add apps and widgets,then drag the blinkfeed screen to the top to remove.
    One thing you can do, however, is to change Blinkfeed to a different screen so that it's out of the way and you won't have to see it as soon as you hit the Home button.

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How can I change my PRL?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q14: How can I remove unwanted bloat?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q15: I need to return my device back to stock?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q16: I need to run Linux but I have no clue where to start what can I do?[/SIZE]
    Linux Help Thread. Thanks jamiethemorris
    [Guide]Learn Linux Terminal for all users Thanks HTC_M7

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I remove the Red Developer Warning after I unlock and flash a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q18: How can I install HTC drivers on Win8 for adb/fastboot?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q19: Can I flash roms from the HTC One(M8) International forums?[/SIZE]
    If they are in the Sprint section or say they have Sprint support you should be ok to flash (If it's not from the Sprint section please confirm in the thread it's Sprint compatible).​

[SIZE=+1]Q20: How can I update my firmware without re-locking my bootloader and taking the OTA?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q21: How can I Sim Unlock my Sprint HTC One?[/SIZE]
    SIM Unlock Your HTC One M8 Thanks chas123​

[SIZE=+1]Q22: How can I get a logcat to report problems to a Dev?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q23: Where can I find the latest HTC Drivers?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q24: What are the different hboot versions and what are their differences?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q25: Any way to turn on and off wifi calling with wifi?[/SIZE]
    This breaks ALL notifications from wifi calling but it doesn't break the functionality of calling itself. So when you're on wifi you just gotta trust that wifi calling is connected (or go into settings to see if it's on). Also it DOES break address confirmation but since this should only be a one time deal for most people you can just reenable the service when you need to confirm your address if you're adding a new network or simply want to re-confirm it. You also wont be able to turn the service on and off in settings, but since it's not a radio itself turning of wifi will kill any battery usage by wifi calling:

1. Get ROMtoolbox (I have the pro version so idk if it works on the free version)
    2. Go into app manager
    3. Find and open wifi calling (make sure its NOT the one from htc)(also don't just select it, make sure you go into the menu)
    4. Go right to the advanced section
    5. Select advanced freeze
    6. Find the services "vowifiservice" AND "vowifinotiservice"
    7. click on them to disable them and agree to the prompt
    8. *optional* Reboot the phone or refresh the setting to clear any notifications currently showing
    9.???
    10. Profit

Thanks reinaldistic​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    Updated Q5 and Q6
    This is not a Q&A thread, please direct your questions HERE
    Updated Q10 Firewater S-OFF is now available :)
    Also [how to] remove your "tampered" banner
    Updated Q20