[Q] Slow video playback and random crashes

Search This thread

BruKnowsBest

May 6, 2013
The Future
So i rooted my nexus 7 last weekend and i am using TWRP, stock kernel and i already tried CARBON NIGHTLY, paranoid android and now i am on liquid smooth rom, the system was slow on all 3 roms i tried (never had this on unrooted/stock) and had random crashes from the first boot. On liquid smooth its a little faster but its also the only one that keeps crashing the UI from time to time, not all the time but enough to be really annoying.

I am new to rooting and unlocking bootloader, this week has been a intense learning period for me on this so any help trying to solve the issue is welcome but keep in mind i am a noob on the subject

thanks in advance

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
So i rooted my nexus 7 last weekend and i am using TWRP, stock kernel and i already tried CARBON NIGHTLY, paranoid android and now i am on liquid smooth rom, the system was slow on all 3 roms i tried (never had this on unrooted/stock) and had random crashes from the first boot. On liquid smooth its a little faster but its also the only one that keeps crashing the UI from time to time, not all the time but enough to be really annoying.

I am new to rooting and unlocking bootloader, this week has been a intense learning period for me on this so any help trying to solve the issue is welcome but keep in mind i am a noob on the subject

thanks in advance

I too tried a bunch of ROMs, none of them impressed me much, I am now using stock with xposed+gravitybox and ElementalX kernel, best of both worlds. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Reactions: BruKnowsBest

The Enforcer

Sep 28, 2013
North Las Vegas
I'm curious to know what your definition of slow is? Are you referring to the time to boot, accessing apps, etc? Not too sure what would be up with the crashes. I'm running SlimKat 4.0.0 with the ElementalX kernel, and it hasn't crashed once for me in the few months I've had the device.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
how much difference will it be if i intalled a different kernel ?????
will gravity box let me get rid of navbar and add pie controls?

Depends on the settings you choose for the kernel, in some kernels you will get a better battery life and better app performance, and some kernels are pure performance and some even focus on battery life, most though provide both features allowing the user to choose what to use and not use, so you can choose settings on custom kernels to reflect what you prefer.

For example, in my case, I use ElementalX and use its governor, set the max cpu to 1.7ghz and max gpu to 450mhz, then I use an app called Faux123 kernel enhancement pro (there are free alternatives out there) and make individual profiles for apps, so the apps that do not need heavy cpu or gpu, I can tell the kernel to throttle the cpu and/or the gpu to save battery, while I will set a 3d game for example, to max out (slightly overclock in my case) the GPU and CPU getting smoother performance. Of course, battery savings is app and usage dependent and YMMV.

ElementalX uses something called Aroma which lets you select various settings just before flashing it, it adds other functionality, like loadable module support, exFAT support. various governors, max read-ahead settings, and so on, they are outlined quite well in this thread.

Do not feel as though you must use a custom kernel if you have no need for any of the features and are happy with stock kernel performance, the stock kernel is a good kernel, it just has limitations.

And yes, gravity box will let you do as you asked, it includes pie controls of its own as well as a way to make the nav bar go away, in fact it is how I use it. If you find its pie controls too limiting, you can use LMT. Personally, I think the built-in GB pie controls are fine.

...keep in mind though GB is geared towards stock roms, it is not recommended nor supported to use GB with a custom ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruKnowsBest

BruKnowsBest

May 6, 2013
The Future
Depends on the settings you choose for the kernel, in some kernels you will get a better battery life and better app performance, and some kernels are pure performance and some even focus on battery life, most though provide both features allowing the user to choose what to use and not use, so you can choose settings on custom kernels to reflect what you prefer.

For example, in my case, I use ElementalX and use its governor, set the max cpu to 1.7ghz and max gpu to 450mhz, then I use an app called Faux123 kernel enhancement pro (there are free alternatives out there) and make individual profiles for apps, so the apps that do not need heavy cpu or gpu, I can tell the kernel to throttle the cpu and/or the gpu to save battery, while I will set a 3d game for example, to max out (slightly overclock in my case) the GPU and CPU getting smoother performance. Of course, battery savings is app and usage dependent and YMMV.

ElementalX uses something called Aroma which lets you select various settings just before flashing it, it adds other functionality, like loadable module support, exFAT support. various governors, max read-ahead settings, and so on, they are outlined quite well in this thread.

Do not feel as though you must use a custom kernel if you have no need for any of the features and are happy with stock kernel performance, the stock kernel is a good kernel, it just has limitations.

And yes, gravity box will let you do as you asked, it includes pie controls of its own as well as a way to make the nav bar go away, in fact it is how I use it. If you find its pie controls too limiting, you can use LMT. Personally, I think the built-in GB pie controls are fine.

...keep in mind though GB is geared towards stock roms, it is not recommended nor supported to use GB with a custom ROM.

i'm still debating on the custom kernel, i might not need it, but about the stock ROM should I download the one available directly from google or do I need to download it somewhere else ... btw thank you so much for the help

BruKnowsBest

May 6, 2013
The Future
I'm curious to know what your definition of slow is? Are you referring to the time to boot, accessing apps, etc? Not too sure what would be up with the crashes. I'm running SlimKat 4.0.0 with the ElementalX kernel, and it hasn't crashed once for me in the few months I've had the device.

slow after it's been booted, when system is already up and running... I'm talking about while swipping for the next screen/page and also youtube videos are very choppy even after it finished loading the whole video

look, i am new to this but i am also not stupid, I'm trying to learn and fix my own issues, I know the average time it takes to boot the device and open apps (which btw sometimes it takes longer to open apps since i rooted)

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
i'm still debating on the custom kernel, i might not need it, but about the stock ROM should I download the one available directly from google or do I need to download it somewhere else ... btw thank you so much for the help

No problem.

You can get it from Google (the linked rom is stock 4.4.4 for N7 2013 wifi) , but you will have to open the flash-all.bat file with a text editor and remove the -w from one of the commands so it does not wipe your data. If you don't care about your data then you can use as is, you will of course need adb and fastboot setup on your pc, obviously.

I use multirom (highly recommended) so I use tassadars flashable stock zip (note, that zip is for N7 2013 wifi too, but is 4.4.3, you would have to update to 4.4.4 via ota or flash 4.4.4s system.img).

You can also use wug's toolkit and select the no wipe option. Make sure you select the correct device, the N7 2013 wifi is named Nexus 7 wifi v2 in his kit, the one without v2 is the old Nexus 7 2012.

Last edited:

BruKnowsBest

May 6, 2013
The Future
No problem.

You can get it from Google (the linked rom is stock 4.4.4 for N7 2013 wifi) , but you will have to open the flash-all.bat file with a text editor and remove the -w from one of the commands so it does not wipe your data. If you don't care about your data then you can use as is, you will of course need adb and fastboot setup on your pc, obviously.

I use multirom (highly recommended) so I use tassadars flashable stock zip (note, that zip is for N7 2013 wifi too, but is 4.4.3, you would have to update to 4.4.4 via ota or flash 4.4.4s system.img).

You can also use wug's toolkit and select the no wipe option. Make sure you select the correct device, the N7 2013 wifi is named Nexus 7 wifi v2 in his kit, the one without v2 is the old Nexus 7 2012.

i used wug's toolkit to unlock bootloader, but i flash my roms on TWRP, could i flash the img the same way i flashed the custom roms????

sorry if i am asking too much lol

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
i used wug's toolkit to unlock bootloader, but i flash my roms on TWRP, could i flash the img the same way i flashed the custom roms????

sorry if i am asking too much lol

With Tassadar's you can, but again, he does not have a 4.4.4 up yet, so I would strongly recommend at least for this time, use Wug's to flash 4.4.4 using the no-wipe option. But if you are more comfortable doing it via TWRP, you can wait for Tassadar to add a 4.4.4 flashable, or use his 4.4.3, and then extract the 4.4.4 system.img from Google factory image of 4.4.4 and fastboot flash that with a PC.

BruKnowsBest

May 6, 2013
The Future
With Tassadar's you can, but again, he does not have a 4.4.4 up yet, so I would strongly recommend at least for this time, use Wug's to flash 4.4.4 using the no-wipe option. But if you are more comfortable doing it via TWRP, you can wait for Tassadar to add a 4.4.4 flashable, or use his 4.4.3, and then extract the 4.4.4 system.img from Google factory image of 4.4.4 and fastboot flash that with a PC.

yea so far i am in a very NOOBish level so i might wait for the flashable version

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks in advance

I too tried a bunch of ROMs, none of them impressed me much, I am now using stock with xposed+gravitybox and ElementalX kernel, best of both worlds. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    how much difference will it be if i intalled a different kernel ?????
    will gravity box let me get rid of navbar and add pie controls?