Tablet Talk cuts off internet to other apps?

Search This thread

MausL

Feb 23, 2011
Hi,

I'm using Tablet Talk on Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 7 tablet installed in my car dash. The application works totally fine except for one strange issue: it appears to cut off internet to other apps installed on Nexus 7. Internet connection is shared by the phone via Bluetooth.

When Tablet Talk is connected, Youtube shows connection error, Waze navigation cannot reach its servers most of the time (though not always), Chrome browser either works extremely slowly (loading google search results for about 3 minutes) or don't work at all.

Everything works fine as soon as I disconnect Tablet Talk.
I was unable to google similar issue reported by other Tablet Talk users, so maybe I'm doing anything wrong?

Any ideas are most welcome.

ronedogg

Nov 3, 2012
Hi,

I'm using Tablet Talk on Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 7 tablet installed in my car dash. The application works totally fine except for one strange issue: it appears to cut off internet to other apps installed on Nexus 7. Internet connection is shared by the phone via Bluetooth.

When Tablet Talk is connected, Youtube shows connection error, Waze navigation cannot reach its servers most of the time (though not always), Chrome browser either works extremely slowly (loading google search results for about 3 minutes) or don't work at all.

Everything works fine as soon as I disconnect Tablet Talk.
I was unable to google similar issue reported by other Tablet Talk users, so maybe I'm doing anything wrong?

Any ideas are most welcome.

If you are using Bluetooth to connect to tablet talk, and to share internet.... Then there is your problem, I think u can only have one device connected with Bluetooth at a time.

Try setting phone as mobile hotspot, and connect the nexus 7 via WiFi. Then use tablet talk in WiFi mode. And forget about Bluetooth and its narrow bandwidth.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

MausL

Feb 23, 2011
If you are using Bluetooth to connect to tablet talk, and to share internet.... Then there is your problem, I think u can only have one device connected with Bluetooth at a time.
I would agree if there is no internet at all - either Tablet Talk or internet. However, there are two things that make me believe that there's another reason: first, there is internet connection, yet somewhat flaky, in Waze navigation app, and some others, while Tablet Talk is connected. Next, Tablet Talk uses the same bluetooth connection - no extra [virtual] device or BT profile appears in the bluetooth connection list, as far as I remember.

I've asked the Tablet Talk developer about this; still awaiting their response.

ronedogg

Nov 3, 2012
I would agree if there is no internet at all - either Tablet Talk or internet. However, there are two things that make me believe that there's another reason: first, there is internet connection, yet somewhat flaky, in Waze navigation app, and some others, while Tablet Talk is connected. Next, Tablet Talk uses the same bluetooth connection - no extra [virtual] device or BT profile appears in the bluetooth connection list, as far as I remember.

I've asked the Tablet Talk developer about this; still awaiting their response.

Yup its still one connection but 2 data feeds, therefore 2 connections through Bluetooth. it makes sense to me this issue. That's why I never ran tablet talk this way. I know Bluetooth don't have much bandwidth.

I would be curious of the answer too. I use tablet talk just not in this configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

MausL

Feb 23, 2011
I know Bluetooth don't have much bandwidth.
Sure, but yet it's always been sufficient for any youtube video and other tasks. I don't believe that Tablet Talk in standby mode consumes all the bandwidth... but who knows, maybe you're right. I'll try to find a tool that'll allow to monitor BT bandwidth/load, if it's technically possible. Thanks for the clue!

I would be curious of the answer too.
I'll post it here. Today I've received the developer's acknowledgement for my support inquiry - they've escalated it to 2nd level support for review.

Reactions: ronedogg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know Bluetooth don't have much bandwidth.
    Sure, but yet it's always been sufficient for any youtube video and other tasks. I don't believe that Tablet Talk in standby mode consumes all the bandwidth... but who knows, maybe you're right. I'll try to find a tool that'll allow to monitor BT bandwidth/load, if it's technically possible. Thanks for the clue!

I would be curious of the answer too.
    I'll post it here. Today I've received the developer's acknowledgement for my support inquiry - they've escalated it to 2nd level support for review.