[Q] How far does TWRP recovery backup alongside LINK2SD?

Search This thread

krusion

Dec 16, 2013
If I were to have LINK2SD and foldermount installed and having some apps running from both internal and external and a couple of symlinks going on.
Then I decide to backup up using TWRP and install a new rom on there. What happens to the apps and folders on the external? Do they stay there or get deleted? Are they then useful or useless?

Now if I were to go and restore the backup nandroid, do things go back into place? Would the thing get recovered to the SD card again?

How about if Titanium backup goes into the equation?

Sorry for any confusion but I'm really confused right now :confused:

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
If I were to have LINK2SD and foldermount installed and having some apps running from both internal and external and a couple of symlinks going on.
Then I decide to backup up using TWRP and install a new rom on there. What happens to the apps and folders on the external? Do they stay there or get deleted? Are they then useful or useless?

Now if I were to go and restore the backup nandroid, do things go back into place? Would the thing get recovered to the SD card again?

Backup and restore do not touch your internal or external SDcard. So your files, apps, and folders remain untouched.

whoamigriffiths

Oct 18, 2012
Behind You

So long as you don't delete any of the data on the external card, then you should be fine. I've been using it this way on my phone for nearly 2yrs.
But my phone is jellybean based so you need to test it out if you are on a kitkat based rom.

**edit to add.. Thought I better add that I don't use foldermount or titanium.
My SD card is partitioned to have an ext4 partition for link2sd and a swap partition and Ofc the main partition.
I've just realised that you don't mention a partition for link2sd. Are you aware that you have to have a partition on your card for link2sd?

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

krusion

Dec 16, 2013
So long as you don't delete any of the data on the external card, then you should be fine. I've been using it this way on my phone for nearly 2yrs.
But my phone is jellybean based so you need to test it out if you are on a kitkat based rom.

**edit to add.. Thought I better add that I don't use foldermount or titanium.
My SD card is partitioned to have an ext4 partition for link2sd and a swap partition and Ofc the main partition.
I've just realised that you don't mention a partition for link2sd. Are you aware that you have to have a partition on your card for link2sd?

I am aware i have to partition it for LINK2SD but I've no idea what the swap partition is for. I'm guessing if link2sd works then foldermount should too.

So what if this: i move my apps using link2sd then back up the nandroid. Then use a different rom and copy everything on my sd as it is to my computer. Then after i'm done with the rom, i restore and copy the stuff back onto the SD. Should that work? Or would the link be broken?

Thanks in advance.

whoamigriffiths

Oct 18, 2012
Behind You
So long as the data is intact, then you should * be fine. The link would be broken but generally you can just recreate the link. I think at one point I was running 4 backed up roms (2 roms and 2 pared down versions for benching) I would switch back and forth daily as I was a tester for 2 devs.
The Swap partition is just for low memory devices. It actually has no bearing on the subject. Just me waffling sorry
As I said earlier, you should make a nandroid before you make any alterations and then add each app/process and back that up too. Then test each change.
All the best rich

Last edited:
Reactions: krusion

krusion

Dec 16, 2013
You wouldn't a way that lets you remove TWRP and use the stock recovery would you?

Also a method to unroot so i can send it back to the store for any fixing?

And lastly how do I install the stock rom if i used any other rom? (Besides restoring the nandroid back)

So basically how do i unroot, install stock recovery and reinstall stock rom? For the v500

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions. Still getting the hang of this.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

kloroform

Oct 4, 2014
Kolkata

have you found your answer? because I have the same question.

I link my app data and obb to the ext4 partion in my sd card using link2sd, also I backup my ROM using TWRP
So, if I restore will link2sd be able to link the app datas automatically?

masdacheri

Nov 7, 2010
have you found your answer? because I have the same question.

I link my app data and obb to the ext4 partion in my sd card using link2sd, also I backup my ROM using TWRP
So, if I restore will link2sd be able to link the app datas automatically?
I was try 2 metode restore nandroid with use link2sd..first i try to reformat ext4 partition before restore nandroid and the results of all applications that are already on the link gone..second I try to directly restore applications without reformatting the results are not lost but their application after the reboot error and application error ended up missing. it looks like the system ext4/link broken..so I must to clean flashing rom from the start otherwise the system will error. So if u want to backup nandroid u must unlink or move back to internal first for safety and reformat ext4 partition before u link app again

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So long as the data is intact, then you should * be fine. The link would be broken but generally you can just recreate the link. I think at one point I was running 4 backed up roms (2 roms and 2 pared down versions for benching) I would switch back and forth daily as I was a tester for 2 devs.
    The Swap partition is just for low memory devices. It actually has no bearing on the subject. Just me waffling sorry
    As I said earlier, you should make a nandroid before you make any alterations and then add each app/process and back that up too. Then test each change.
    All the best rich