[Q] KitKat update breaks LTE on Sprint Flex??

Search This thread

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
Ok,

So I've searched through this entire QA section and have yet to find a thread related to my question so I'm going to ask.

I recently (as in like monday 05/05/14) updated to KitKat on my Sprint Flex and noticed that my LTE wont kick on...I update my profile and PRL and it will kick on for a split second go grey (gray?) and then go back to 3G. I'm curious, has anyone else encountered this issue or could this be a simple single issue I'm the only on experiencing?

mind you, YES I do live in an LTE enabled area (no Spark :( ) and my old HTC EVO 4G LTE gets service just fine as does my wife's EVO LTE but my Flex just wont kick it on anymore. I even tried resetting the radio with no luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative!

Other than this little hiccup, along with the KB issue, this phone is saweet!

prodeq12

Mar 11, 2014
How was your service before the kit kat update? FYI you should head over to the S4GRU forums. You will find better sprint support there. Its not a corporate sprint site, its a community of sprint customers that have lots of knowledge of the network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Visa Declined

Sep 17, 2012
Oklahoma City
I'm convinced that Sprint doesn't want people on their LTE network. They recently started throttling their unlimited customers data once they use over 5Gb. I used a Sprint phone for a short period of time before our company switched to AT&T, and that phone would disconnect from the tower it was using whenever the phone would go idle. I would try to use the internet and it would say "no connection", but the second I made a phone call on it the connection would re-establish. It's all very strange.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
Sprint blows and tmobile pays eta jus stating fact

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk
I left Sprint last year for identical reasons. As T-Mobile was the only other carrier to offer unlimited data without hidden throttle points. I had to pay the eta but it was well worth it. Sprint may be better out in the sticks because they have roaming agreements with Verizon but if you live in an urban area you will be ok.

Reactions: bbobarino

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
My 4G LTE was badass before the update to KK. I'm very familiar with S4GRU forums. My service has always been great with Sprint, so that's not the issue, I was simply curious if this is simply an isolated incident or if this is becoming a known issue..I'm content with Sprint. I'll have to look at the other forums to see if I'm the only one having issues..

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Nybs31

Jul 26, 2011
I had an issue when at my home recently with service. Since the g flex will not connect to data when on a phone call, i noticed that my service would go to nothing or 1 bar. I contacted sprint, and they told me that the 3g portion of the tower was out that i connect to when at home. They said it would be fixed by the end of the day. My advice is to contact sprint. Maybe they can shed some light on the subject. Try to contact them through the chat on the website. They seem more knowledgeable on there.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

jesmann

Nov 11, 2010
Farmington, MO
www.mokaraoke.com
I had an issue when at my home recently with service. Since the g flex will not connect to data when on a phone call, i noticed that my service would go to nothing or 1 bar. I contacted sprint, and they told me that the 3g portion of the tower was out that i connect to when at home. They said it would be fixed by the end of the day. My advice is to contact sprint. Maybe they can shed some light on the subject. Try to contact them through the chat on the website. They seem more knowledgeable on there.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

There is only one cell radio on the newer phones so no SVDO/SVLTE no voice/data. Wifi is separate so wifi data will still work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
OK.

so after I posted this thread i started checking the towers around me and found out i was not the only person reporting issues about this. apparently sprint is secretly updating the towers in Amarillo for spark. this didnt come from some idiot rep at the call center either, this i found out on my own. I verified it this morning and some areas in town my little sun lights up and my speeds are ranging from 15-25mb/s depending on the area of town im in.

I also got a phone call from a friend of mine in Austin because his iFag 5s wasnt able to connect to the interwebs even though he showed LTE to be active. they appear to be updating towers continuously in certina areas. thanks for the info on some of ya'lls part! i guess i just wasnt patient enough and jumped to the conclusion of KK breakin something in my phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint blows and tmobile pays eta jus stating fact

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk
    I left Sprint last year for identical reasons. As T-Mobile was the only other carrier to offer unlimited data without hidden throttle points. I had to pay the eta but it was well worth it. Sprint may be better out in the sticks because they have roaming agreements with Verizon but if you live in an urban area you will be ok.