Metal case that works with magnetic car mount?

Search This thread

cryptyk

Jul 2, 2007
So I bought a Mountek car dock that uses a magnet to hold the phone. It comes with a metal plate you put inside your phone case. The problem is that the M8 has a curved back and the case won't fit with the plate inside. I tried bending the plate, but it would have to be PERFECT to fit inside the case without pushing up against it.
Does anyone know of an M8 specific case that has magnetic metal embedded in it? Or has anyone else come up with a clever way to make the M8 work with the Mountek?

thebobmannh

May 22, 2012
Derry, NH
www.scrampf.com
So I bought a Mountek car dock that uses a magnet to hold the phone. It comes with a metal plate you put inside your phone case. The problem is that the M8 has a curved back and the case won't fit with the plate inside. I tried bending the plate, but it would have to be PERFECT to fit inside the case without pushing up against it.
Does anyone know of an M8 specific case that has magnetic metal embedded in it? Or has anyone else come up with a clever way to make the M8 work with the Mountek?

Certainly not a clever or pretty way, but I did epoxy a strip of metal from Home Depot onto the back of a case for this purpose. It works, but... near impossible to get it to look nice.

hx3

Jun 29, 2010
OnePlus 12R
I just received the same car mount and was able to place the magnetic blade (without removing the adhesive tape) inside my TPU case. It's a little tricky to keep it centered while inserting the phone back in to the case, but I could keep a finger on the blade to keep it steady. Once the phone was fully back in the case, the blade hadn't move at all and it sticks to the mount perfectly without any movement or drops.

I also have a second blade on another case (applied on the back of the case), so that's another option. Buy a cheap case just for the car, but that could become tedious.

Edit: I have the blade vertically in place when the phone is in portrait view. Easier to hold the blade in place in landscape when putting the case back on.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Last edited: