Sixaxis controller is here!

Search This thread

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
This thread should be used to provide feedback and troubleshooting for the Sixaxis Controller and Compatibility Checker apps.

If you have a device that you would like to see supported, and you're happy to step few a bit of debugging to help me determine the issue then please let me know, and preferably provide a screenshot of any error messages.

I'm doing my best to add support for new devices (especially HTC and Samsung), but it seems that it might not always be possible to add compatibility. In this case, the only option for running the app on said device is with an AOSP based rom such as CyanogenMod.

Also, throughout the thread I will occasionally be posting beta versions of the app that include new experimental features. I would be most appreciative of any feedback from those willing to test these new features.

For those looking for help with touch profiles, mythek88 has put together a master list here with a growing list of games. Hopefully at some stage I will add the ability to share profiles directly through the app.

Regards,

Earl

Last edited:

BFKelleher

Jul 22, 2011
Both Nexus phones. I'd volunteer for testing, but I don't own a sixaxis.

Out of curiosity, why does this need root access whereas Wii doesn't? Is there a difference between the way the controllers pair or something?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
Out of curiosity, why does this need root access whereas Wii doesn't? Is there a difference between the way the controllers pair or something?

Yes unfortunately, although the Sixaxis basically communicates via the HID protocol, there are a couple of minor differences that would require a kernel patch to make the controller start talking over HID. The only solution I have found for this so far is to bypass HID and communicate directly over L2CAP (both of which require root access).

Reactions: oldman20

amoree101

Jul 22, 2011
I'd love to volunteer for testing! I have access to several androids and 8 dualshock and sixaxis controllers

mwarner

Jan 23, 2011
Kenilworth
If you wish to test on an Galaxy S II then I am available to help out if required. I too have both DualShock and SixAxis controllers.

Columbia

Mar 31, 2009
I can join to you guys too! I have Desire HD with sense or without it and dualshock3/sixaxis controller.

stacktrace

Apr 12, 2008
I have three phones that I'm willing to beta test.
I have dualshock 3 controllers.

LG Optimus S
HTC Hero (rooted w/o Sense)
HTC Evo 3D (soon to be rooted)

I definitely think you should release a free version that lets people test basic compatibility. 15 minute return window doesn't seem like enough to test an app like this.

Very excited to see this app!

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
Ok, what I'll do initially is release a standalone compatibility test app on here in the next couple of days that basically allows me to get some initial feedback and if required have anyone who is willing with an incompatible phone to run a few tests that might enable me to get them working.

Again, this application will only work on rooted devices, sorry!

Stay tuned.

shahkam

Jan 22, 2011
Canada
I'd suggest you to put an free version for like 2 weeks for the time its a beta stage then when everything is finalised make it 1$ which i think is reasonably fair ! And i own an sony ericsson xperia x10 it has to work ! Since sony > sony ericsson is the same company i think ? Lol

Sent from my X10i using XDA Premium App

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
Here is the (very basic) windows utility I created today for pairing the controllers to a specific MAC address. Once installed, you should be able to plug a controller in to your PC via Mini-USB and the 'Current Master' should change from 'Searching...' to the last MAC address the controller was paired with (probably your PS3). You can then change the master by entering a new MAC address in the format of xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. This address will ultimately be the bluetooth address of the phone you wish to use the controller with. The Android app will give you the correct address when run on your phone.

Make sense?

If anyone wants to try it out and let me know if it works on your PC's, that would be lovely. Just enter any old MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 will do.

Linux users (and apple mac?) should be able to use the utility called 'sixpair' that is floating around the net.

Attachments

• SixaxisPairToolSetup.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,949
Last edited:

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
Just an update that I'm hoping to get a bit of feedback on...

This app allows you to test whether your device will be compatible with the app. Once I have enough feedback about which devices / OS versions it will run on (and potentially improve compatibility with some assistance from testers on the forum), then I will make a release on the market that enables IME.

If you would like to help out, you will need to download the attached apk, as well as the SixaxisPairTool in my previous post. You will then need to extract and install the apk on your phone using adb or something like 'app installer' from the market. Run the app and follow the instructions (you will need to use SixaxisPairTool to pair the controller with the phone (using the bluetooth address displayed at the bottom of the app after tapping 'start').

Please could anyone who tries the app report back here any devices and OS's they have tried, and the success they have. Feel free to ask for help if anything is unclear.

Cheers,

Earl

Attachments

• SixaxisCompatibilityChecker-debug.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 958

presslab

Mar 29, 2011
I ran Sixaxis Compatability Checker on my Asus Transformer running Prime 1.6 (Android 3.1). When I clicked "Start" the program said "Connection Initiated..." and then "Connection Failed." At this point I have not paired my controller because the Checker program does not give me the MAC address. When I click "Stop" my Transformer locks up and nothing works, and while I can turn it off with the power button it does not turn back on until I hard reset it.

Witalka 15

Jul 7, 2010
oKay i run the Server on Android.. they show me the MAC.. ..
i type the mac address in the Windows App .. the show me the same address in the Server and Controller .. but if i press start at the controller hey only blinking.. -.-

Connection Initiated...
Connection Established..

Samsung Galaxy S Miui Galnet v6

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
@presslab - Can you try running the command 'hciconfig' on the phone in a terminal emulator as root user and tell me the result.

@Witalka 15 - When you paired the controller using 'SixaxisPairTool', did the 'Current Master' show the same address as the one you typed in after clicking 'Update', or was it still showing 'Searching...'?

Dec 14, 2010
I have a Droid X running Liberty Gingerbread ROM 0.9. First off I'd just like to say that I constantly have problems with it, including with Bluetooth, so this may not apply to all Droid X users, but I do receive the "Connection Failed" message, and was just wondering what I can do about it since I've been dying to use my Dualshock with my phone for the longest time. Thanks

sir_earl

Jul 21, 2011
Anyone getting a 'Connection Failed' message can help me out by trying the following commands in a terminal window and reporting the results:

su
echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
start hciattach
hciconfig -a hci0 up
hciconfig -a hci0 pscan
hciconfig

If you get a 'not found' error when calling hciconfig, you could try copying the executable (from say here) to your /system/xbin folder and making it executable with 'chmod 744 /system/xbin/hciconfig'. Then try running the above commands again.

Witalka 15

Jul 7, 2010
@presslab - Can you try running the command 'hciconfig' on the phone in a terminal emulator as root user and tell me the result.

@Witalka 15 - When you paired the controller using 'SixaxisPairTool', did the 'Current Master' show the same address as the one you typed in after clicking 'Update', or was it still showing 'Searching...'?

Yes i see the same address... In sixaxispairtool and the server..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread should be used to provide feedback and troubleshooting for the Sixaxis Controller and Compatibility Checker apps.

If you have a device that you would like to see supported, and you're happy to step few a bit of debugging to help me determine the issue then please let me know, and preferably provide a screenshot of any error messages.

I'm doing my best to add support for new devices (especially HTC and Samsung), but it seems that it might not always be possible to add compatibility. In this case, the only option for running the app on said device is with an AOSP based rom such as CyanogenMod.

Also, throughout the thread I will occasionally be posting beta versions of the app that include new experimental features. I would be most appreciative of any feedback from those willing to test these new features.

For those looking for help with touch profiles, mythek88 has put together a master list here with a growing list of games. Hopefully at some stage I will add the ability to share profiles directly through the app.

Regards,

Earl
    Any way to get this working on OSX?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I've been meaning to add details to the website for OSX, but in the meantime, here are the instructions:

1. Download libusb.pkg.tar.gz from http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/, unzip, run and install.

2. Download sixpair for OS X here - http://www.dancingpixelstudios.com/sixaxiscontroller/sixpair

3. Open Terminal, navigate to the folder your file is in (i.e. if the file downloaded into your Downloads folder, you should just have to type "cd Downloads" to get there) and type 'chmod 755 sixpair'.

4. Plug your PS3 controller into your Mac via the USB cable.

5. In Terminal again, type './sixpair 1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F' where "1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F" is the "Local Bluetooth Address" that the Sixaxis controller app gives you.

6. Unplug the PS3 controller, start the Sixaxis controller app, and then press the home button on your PS3 controller.
    There is a new hope! The dev posted some good news on his website:
    http://dancingpixelstudios.com/2016/05/24/marshmallow/
    Anyway to get this working on my s6000 10.1

I have an MTK device on order now, so hopefully won't be long!
    Good news to report. MTK devices should now be supported! This will all depend on other MTK devices using the same libraries, but everything I've seen so far indicates it's fairly standard across devices. Please try the attached compatibility checker and let me know your findings. Hopefully we can get a high compatibility rate on the first try! :)

I should also mention that if you installed the libbt_hci.so and related modules posted earlier in the thread, please be sure to remove these first, as they will stop the app from moving past connection type 1.